A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee S05E02: "Tina in the Sky With Diamonds"

Better, Glee! That was better than last week's travesty of a premiere, though admittedly, "Love Love Love" set the bar pretty low to kick off the season. Whatever, McKinley had a Brundleprom and Santana did a glorious commercial for a yeast infection medication. Santana also found herself a new ladyfriend in the form of Demi Lovato, and Sam hit on the school nurse because if there's anything Glee has a weird fascination with other than teenage marriage, it's technically-not-inappropriate-but-still-kind-of-awkward student/employee romances.

Including Tina's name in the episode title was a good indicator that this would be a Tina-heavy episode—and it was—but not really. Tina won prom queen (alongside prom king Stoner Brett) and found herself humiliated a la Carrie by the newest face of Cheerios evil, Bree, because why not? Saint Kitty the Reformed let Tina borrow her dress so everyone's favorite walking pity party could make a grand reentrance to yet another life-affirming sing-along aaaaand back to Rachel, Santana, and Kurt in New York. 

At it's weakest, "Tina in the Sky With Diamonds" suffered from the same ailment as much of Glee Season 4—the split between New York and Lima just wasn't even. We've seen Glee do prom. We've seen Glee thrust an unlikely candidate into prom queen glory. In comparison, Rachel's "struggle" to get over herself, Santana's new-found love interest, and Kurt's sudden decision to take a job at the ol' singing diner (because in addition to the magical money they use to travel between NYC and Lima every five seconds, these kids also have an abundance of time, given Kurt's ability to balance a theoretically demanding course load at NYADA, an internship at a major publication, and a job) were much more interesting, if only because they were new. Sort of. I mean, Rachel inexplicably won the part of Fanny Brice, which was such a ham-fisted happy ending that I gagged a little, but it wasn't entirely unexpected. 

Still, a semi-predictable, albeit coherent, story was a big improvement over the WTF-ery of "Love Love Love." Sue was back to form as the cold, harsh voice of reality crushing the special little flowers of New Directions (still <3 her). We haven't paid any attention to Ryder, Puck Jr. or Marley in two whole episodes. Also, there were some genuinely funny moments in "Tina in the Sky With Diamonds," which was actually rather confusing because I've been laughing at Glee mostly for unintentional reasons for about two seasons now. I forgot what it was like to laugh when our Glee overlords command it. I think I liked it? I'm also nervously waiting for a slushie to the face. 

Despite Rachel winning the part, I'm not entirely convinced that she'll actually play Fanny in Funny Girl. I'm also really worried about next week's "goodbye to Finn" episode. HOLD ME. 

In the meantime, what did you think of "Tina in the Sky With Diamonds?" Was it an improvement over the premiere-from-hell? 

MUSICAL NOTES

– Fave covers of the night? Santana and Dani's "Here Comes the Sun" was nice. "Let it Be" was pretty, even though I'm pretty sure the meaning was lost when, for some reason, it was deemed an appropriate victory song for a bunch of characters who just won at everything. It's like "Oh, I was just cast in the revival of Funny Girl because of course I was because I'm Rachel—let me celebrate with this song about making peace with my crappy lot in life." Oookay. 

– "I like yeast in my bagel, but not in my muffin." Santana's entire commercial was perfect. 

– Sue insisted that New Directions made her hate the Beatles. I wouldn't go that far, but it would have been fun to see them try something from when the Beatles got weird

– Tina's pre-slushie dress was actually really pretty! Kitty's kind of hurt my eyes—and I love pink

– Bree's little "speech" to Kitty in the beginning of the episode was a reference to the crazy sorority email that made the rounds on the internet last spring.

78 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 7:00 pm
    60 Minutes
    NEW
    CBS
  • 8:00 pm
    Big Brother
    NEW
    CBS
  •