We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee S05E02: "Tina in the Sky With Diamonds"

Better, Glee! That was better than last week's travesty of a premiere, though admittedly, "Love Love Love" set the bar pretty low to kick off the season. Whatever, McKinley had a Brundleprom and Santana did a glorious commercial for a yeast infection medication. Santana also found herself a new ladyfriend in the form of Demi Lovato, and Sam hit on the school nurse because if there's anything Glee has a weird fascination with other than teenage marriage, it's technically-not-inappropriate-but-still-kind-of-awkward student/employee romances.

Including Tina's name in the episode title was a good indicator that this would be a Tina-heavy episode—and it was—but not really. Tina won prom queen (alongside prom king Stoner Brett) and found herself humiliated a la Carrie by the newest face of Cheerios evil, Bree, because why not? Saint Kitty the Reformed let Tina borrow her dress so everyone's favorite walking pity party could make a grand reentrance to yet another life-affirming sing-along aaaaand back to Rachel, Santana, and Kurt in New York. 

At it's weakest, "Tina in the Sky With Diamonds" suffered from the same ailment as much of Glee Season 4—the split between New York and Lima just wasn't even. We've seen Glee do prom. We've seen Glee thrust an unlikely candidate into prom queen glory. In comparison, Rachel's "struggle" to get over herself, Santana's new-found love interest, and Kurt's sudden decision to take a job at the ol' singing diner (because in addition to the magical money they use to travel between NYC and Lima every five seconds, these kids also have an abundance of time, given Kurt's ability to balance a theoretically demanding course load at NYADA, an internship at a major publication, and a job) were much more interesting, if only because they were new. Sort of. I mean, Rachel inexplicably won the part of Fanny Brice, which was such a ham-fisted happy ending that I gagged a little, but it wasn't entirely unexpected. 

Still, a semi-predictable, albeit coherent, story was a big improvement over the WTF-ery of "Love Love Love." Sue was back to form as the cold, harsh voice of reality crushing the special little flowers of New Directions (still <3 her). We haven't paid any attention to Ryder, Puck Jr. or Marley in two whole episodes. Also, there were some genuinely funny moments in "Tina in the Sky With Diamonds," which was actually rather confusing because I've been laughing at Glee mostly for unintentional reasons for about two seasons now. I forgot what it was like to laugh when our Glee overlords command it. I think I liked it? I'm also nervously waiting for a slushie to the face. 

Despite Rachel winning the part, I'm not entirely convinced that she'll actually play Fanny in Funny Girl. I'm also really worried about next week's "goodbye to Finn" episode. HOLD ME. 

In the meantime, what did you think of "Tina in the Sky With Diamonds?" Was it an improvement over the premiere-from-hell? 

MUSICAL NOTES

– Fave covers of the night? Santana and Dani's "Here Comes the Sun" was nice. "Let it Be" was pretty, even though I'm pretty sure the meaning was lost when, for some reason, it was deemed an appropriate victory song for a bunch of characters who just won at everything. It's like "Oh, I was just cast in the revival of Funny Girl because of course I was because I'm Rachel—let me celebrate with this song about making peace with my crappy lot in life." Oookay. 

– "I like yeast in my bagel, but not in my muffin." Santana's entire commercial was perfect. 

– Sue insisted that New Directions made her hate the Beatles. I wouldn't go that far, but it would have been fun to see them try something from when the Beatles got weird

– Tina's pre-slushie dress was actually really pretty! Kitty's kind of hurt my eyes—and I love pink

– Bree's little "speech" to Kitty in the beginning of the episode was a reference to the crazy sorority email that made the rounds on the internet last spring.

78 Comments
Comments (77)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The chemistry between Santana and Dani was just great. I got goosebumps listening to them singing together. Too bad Demi will just be in 6 episodes only.

Uh oh... "The Quarterback" is coming...
Flag
MaryAnn, u were not that harsh on that episode - THANK YOU!!!
the best part 4 me was Santana+Demi o/c (what's their ship name???) - but i just love naya rivera/anybody so... i'm biased.
rachel getting everything - just deal w/it. u r like "wow" every time when it's really "duh". personally i don't like it v.m. but i've been over it since the 1st season i think.
also i like new kitty. she'll never be new santana but she tries. good 4 her.

P.S. MaryAnn, please, don't laugh or write smth ~witty on the cory monteith tribute ep. WE GET IT U R COOL! just... it's real person tragedy ok. if u don't like it - just don't write anything at all. ty
Flag
I'm not sure what the goal of this episode was except to make me utterly distrust school nurses and the administrations that hire them and completely dislike Tina. She was totally wretched in the episode and I can't think of anything that she has ever done to make her a redeeming character. When she was hit with the slushee I was really hoping that she wasn't going to rush off and whine but instead punch her fist into the air and scream "party!" - then start rocking out with the other glee kids. Ugh, Kurt, working at the diner but yeah, Santana leaping for yeast infection treatment!
Flag
WHY IS RYDER CHILLY SINGING ALONGSIDE UNIQUE? God I can't stand it!
Or course Tina was humiliated multiple times! When she finally got her firts "Hit it!" the bell rang and everyone left, the the slushie! And of course, no king!
I also have this feeling the show was making fun of the fun's critics, what with the reference to Smash season 1...
Bree looks too child-like and I didn't like her acting.
In the end, I liked it more than the previous episode, but Tina keeps on being a loser, even if this was her episode :(
Flag
Enjoyed it more than last weeks premiere.
As long as they keep Santana around, I will keep watching!
Flag
Oh and also looking forward to seeing Bree try to take down Glee Club.
There really needs to be an edit button.
Flag
Loved Dantana!!! They look very cute together...!!
Cool that Rachel got the part...
Poor Tina...must be horrible..still nicely solved..
I thought that Sue was all over the place this episode..one moment, she is against glee, then she isn't...liked her better when she was coach...

Very curious of next weeks episode the Farewell episode for Finn...saw some bits of it....
Flag
Beatles was a missed opportunity. All of the songs sucked this week and most did last week. What a shame.
Flag
I agree about that commercial that it was excellent. Naya/Santana looks 100% attractive in her turquoise skirt. She would have looked more prettier if she pinches both sides of her turquoise skirt and twirl around both ways to make it more realistic!
Flag
That commercial was hilarious and I love me some Demi Lovato, but any good will this episode may have conjured up for me (I haven't watched it for quite some time), was all cancelled out with the biphobia. I keep going back hoping things will be different, but they never are (I just realized I am in an abusive relationship with Glee. I need to re-evaluate my life).
Flag
Staff
(I just realized I am in an abusive relationship with Glee. I need to re-evaluate my life).

You're not alone. I'm totally here for moral support. Or something.
Flag
Maybe we should form a group. Glee Anonymous. GA we can call it. We'll meet once a week and discuss what keeps drawing us back and then just trash it ;).
Flag
Demi is the cutest dumpling! Love her and Santana together, they have good chemistry, kiss could have been better though...
Flag
That commercial was hilarious.
Flag
Surprised at how good this episode was, I haven't cared this much about the McKinley-storyline for a long time. I think this is the first time that the NY-storyline seemed out of place, and not the other way around. And I really like how funny this show has gotten again, I love the super weird Glee-humour! There was a lot of fun stuff with Sam-School Nurse, Crazy Sue etc.

And btw, I have a feeling that the next episode is going to leave me bawling my eyes out...
Flag
So on top of Nyada and vogue.com Kurt now works at that diner with Rachel and Santana....well I guess Kurt does make his own hours at vogue.com, when he actually bothers to show up, so it's not that hard to believe although it's still ridiculous how he can just turn up whenever he wants and no one cares but I digress. So much better than the premier. I wonder if they cut Tina off during her solo as a joke towards the fact that it was cut from the album. Demi sounded so good with Naya in Here Comes the Sun. Loved Santana's commercial and her comment about why anyone would need that much of the yeast.
Flag
I took a two hour nap midway through this episode, which should really tell you all you need to know about how gripping it is. I should disclose that I have never listened to the Beatles when they weren't just on the radio, so I'd only previously heard Yesterday and Let it Be, the bracketing songs, so I simply can't pass judgement on the music this week.

Throughout this episode, I loved Sue more than anything in the world. She was the star among a whole bunch of dreadful dialogue. As someone who is bisexual, I found all of Santana's disparaging comments about bisexuals and general pleased-with-herself attitude of upgrading to a "real" gay pretty f-king appalling to watch.

Sam taking up with the school nurse was an interesting angle to take, but I was more taken with the fact that a) she's not a qualified nurse but she's practicing without supervision, b) she freely admits to not being in the slightly bit competent at anything and c) It's definitely written somewhere in the large print of the code of practice that you can't get into anything with your patients. I'm just laying this out here now because this is an issue that I hope will be addressed in later episodes, though "this is Glee" is some sort of phrase we now use to end all WTF moments.

And the Fanny Brice storyline isn't just unrealistic, it's insane. It's comparable to Burt Hummell deciding to win for President and winning or Kurt launching a clothing line and it being worn at Milan Fashion Week. It's Broadway!

On a more practical note, do all the actors get paid the same whether they sing, speak or just appear in the background looking pretty? Because if so, Ryder, Marley and Jake are getting paid tens of thousands of dollars for an hour's work a week, and I want *that* gig. Sod artistic integrity.

I actually enjoyed TV.com's review of this episode more than the episode itself, which I think says a lot. And I swear to god if they pull any of their It's-insane-but-you-love-it-really tricks during the Finn episode, I will actually stop watching.

More+
Flag
Staff
Ahhh the nurse. Yeah. I'm pretty sure sophomore nursing students don't get to just stick students with hypos unsupervised. If at all.

No idea how the pay rate on Glee works, but I actually have a bit of faith in next week's episode being genuine and respectful and non-trainwrecky. I mean, Cory Monteith really was their friend. With that in mind, I like to think that they'll take the time to give it their best effort, as opposed to their usual tragedy-of-the-week approach to "important" episodes.

Thanks for reading and hanging out and stuff!
Flag
Let's see

- Santana's commercial
- Demi Moore's awesome chemistry with Naya + Here Comes The Sun
- Sue's speeches

Yep, thats what I enjoyed about the episode

Someone not telling Rachel too star-down a little, Ryder still in glee club for reasons, and Tina becoming increasingly annoying - Glee, get it together)

Yep, next episode will be difficult.
Flag
Demi Moore? She looks great!
Flag
Haha! Yeah, she does))) LOL
Flag
"Tina's pre-slushie dress was actually really pretty!"

Tina's entire pre-slushie look was gorgeous, especially after she put on the tiara. And what was up with Sam calling Tina not hot? Jenna Uskowitz is beautiful!
Flag
She.Is.Amazing. I'm so curious to know what the hell happened for her to be treated this way!
Flag
I did like it better than last week's episode but that's not really hard...I sometimes wish that season 4 was just a dream and they start again and make it actually good.
I didn't enjoy this episode. And you should enjoy a tv show you're watching, right? I also think Demi's introduction happened too fast.
I did like "Hey Jude" and "Let it be".
The promo for next week was good, though. I think I will cry (and I almost never cry because of tv shows) - if they don't spoil it. I hope they make it good.
Flag
It really wasn't a great episode, but at least it was better than last week. There were some funny moments, like the cheerleader rant and Santana's commercial, and I personally felt some satisfaction from Tina getting "Carried" (how could you not though, really? Is it even possible to like Tina as a character anymore, she's the worst.) NY scenes were just like they always are, boring and predictable. It was kinda nice seeing Rachel in the screw everything mode, but I wish she actually hadn't gotten the part. (Although I understand that it would make the NY scenes even more boring if it's just an entire season at the restaurant). Better Glee, better. Next week will be rough.
Flag
Loved the episode. Santana's commercial was perfect and I loved the reference to the crazy sorority e-mail i just wish they would have cast an actress who could actually deliver those lines believably.
Flag
I needed a minute after that episode. Mainly cause the freaking promo for next week made me cry. I'm gonna be a wreck next week.

This was a vast improvement over last week. Still no where near Glee's glory days, but there were some funny moments. I've missed Sue's zingers.

And was it just me or were Sam's lips CRAZY distracting??
Flag
This was a great episode! Like you said, evil Sue was back to form; the best zinger? "Nipples the stripper clown".
The prom number "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (geez, this title is a mouthful) was a big no no. What do you mean that they should have sung a number from the when The Beatles got wierd? This was it!!!
Bree is actually New Santana, so I would love to see Original Santana come give her a smackdown!
Of course Rachel was going to get the part of Fanny Brice; it's Glee and it's Rachel (reality check: it's not real life, it's TV, so anything can happen; didn't you pay attention to that song last season, at the end of I Do?)
The Lima Express has 24 daily flights between Lima and New York and it's a low cost carrier at $19 each way, so there (see realiy check on previous paragraph).
Also, URGENT call to Ryan Murphy: SAM NEEDS A HAIRCUT, STAT!!!
Yes, Santana's commercial was EPIC! Up there with the best ones from SNL.
Finally, Penny is a sophomore in college, so she's technically only 2 years older than Sam; it's not like she's a cougar; lighten up.
Very good episode; almost as good as what we got in Season 3; not quite there yet.
Remember, this season was supposed to start with being very Finn-centric, so they had to revamp the first two episodes rather quickly, write a whole brand new 3rd episode for the goodbye (that one's gonna be hard to swallow) and then retool the whole rest of the season.
The premiere was not that bad, but this second episode is much better, and getting nearer to what we got in seasons past.
Full on GLEEK since May 2009 and proud of it, and will continue to be until the bitter end in 2015.
More+
Flag
I live in Ohio and I had no clue that Lima had an airport..........

Ryan has said they only had to make minor adjustments to these first two episodes so Finn couldn't have been featured that heavily in them. Now the rest of the season they have had to completely retool.
Flag
Bree’s rant was so funny, I don’t really care that it was a weak episode overall.
Flag
I don't understand. The Glee writers had a perfect opportunity with Rachel's Funny Girl storyline to make something at least halfway feasible, and way more earned. It was practically written for them!

Cast a big name as Fanny, and bring them in as a guest star (we all know Glee loves its guest stars) who can hold her own, but has never actually been on stage before. Cast Rachel as the understudy. Make the star a Nice and Inspirational one, instead of a Catty Mean one, and let Rachel have a meaningful role model. On the first night of previews, star has a panic attack and Rachel has to go on. She tears it up, impressing audience, critics, and production team alike. Star steps down to let Rachel step up in a "student has surpassed the teacher" moment.

There you go, people - a way better story than "Hey, let's give this unknown, entitled 19 year old the lead role over a bunch of experienced actresses because...reasons."
Flag
This reminds me of Smash season 1. Rachel thought so too LOL
Flag
Oh ye of little faith. Wait for the payoff. This is just the setup, obviously. In season 15, due to her unearned fame and fortune at an early age, Rachel Berry is a meth addict turning tricks in the projects for her next hit.
Flag
Staff
YESSSS. I was so disappointed that she got it, mostly because the writers had so many SO MANY options to really grow Rachel, to make the winning of the role more meaningful. I would have LOVED to see something along the lines of the story you described.
Flag
This. This SOOOO much.
Flag
Boy, what a mess! But it was alright. Tina is beginning to be like Quinn.

Tina got abrupted on the Revolution, but made up at the end.

Rachel got rejected from the audition, but fought back in the end.

Also, I don't understand that Yeast-I-Stat commercial at, but Santana looks 100% attractive in her turquoise skirt, especially when she twirls around.

Demi is a lesbian?

Actress Jayma Mays should not have left this show, because her character, "Emma Pillsbury" is already married actor Matthew Morrison's character, "William Schuester". Jayma needs to appear more often in this show, especailly, the next one and the 100th.

Flag
Absolutely disgusted with the writing in this one!

Seriously, who tought that it would be a great way to introduce Demi Lovato's character by having her say "I love lady parts" ? Did the writers think that's funny or something? Because I felt extremely awkward, and I was a little bit repulsed by the vulgar statement. Kids watch this show...writers please get a clue!

Also, what's up with Sam's hair? Why is he dressed as a hobo? Why does he look like a hobo? Is he a hipster now or something? Very confused by his look.

The music performances were subpar (apart from "Here comes the sun"/ Demi's voice sounded angelic), and I just couldn't enjoy the show. Whoever was put in charge (or is still in charge), needs to be fired asap. This show has gone downhill fast!

ps. Why no Marley/Jake/Ryder? Or even Unique? (not that I cared much about the catfish storyline but it has never been adressed)
pss. Isn't Marley supposed to be the new Rachel or something? She hasn't had a line in 2 episodes!!!! this is just crazy...
Flag
I agree with Demi. They didn't waste time introducing her as a lesbian and Satanna's love interest. As much as I like Demi Lovato, I see her character mainly as an impromptu guest star to replace Brittany.

What I don't agree is what you wrote about Marley/Jake/Ryder/Unique. When those 4 were on the spotlight, a lot of people complained about not having enough of Artie, Tina and Sam. Just be thankful because writers will almost immediately forget about the veterans from McKinley, after Finn's memorial episode.
Flag
I forgot to add: the actor playing Sam actually quit the show for awhile.
Flag
But they didn't even get to speak? Not even one line?

I can't remember people complaining aboout that. Either way, Tina is still Blaine's hag, Sam is now a hobo or a hipster, and Artie still has no storyline other then "falling in love with Kitty" and we all know that their relationship won't last.

I see nothing wrong in developing Marlie/Ryder (and/or Jake) further since they are far more interesting in my opinion.
Flag
Actually Marley and Unique said something about replacing Tina's dress. And did you forget about them singing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? There were episodes in which Tina had literally said one line and didn't even sing. At least the four of them got to sing and wear funky costumes.
Flag
This episode...was actually not bad :) The put-downs were epic and the black cheerleaders rant had me clapping. Poor Tina. Why does something traumatic always have to happen at their proms?
Flag
I kind of felt weird at the end leading everyone to happy ending type places when you know and you knew they knew at this point about Cory Montieth. I almost thought it might have been appropriate to have one last bump scene in the New York apartment with Kurt's phone ringing and him going to look for it.
Flag
I b b hping the same. But I bet the first ten minutes or so of next week will be happy and than they get the news?
Flag
Based sheerly on the playlist, no, and I doubt they will make the actors go through actually finding out (though if I read some interviews correctly, I think Santana serves as our proxy describing what happened). I think we start black screen with the cast singing "Seasons of Love."
Flag
Back to my tried-and-true bullet points...

- I'm glad they're starting to poke fun at the show's clichés, tropes, and plotholes. It's even better since Sue's the one doing it (although Kitty's statement last week about the school year going on forever got a chuckle).

- Nice try paying tribute to Carrie, but we've got an actual Carrie remake coming out in a mere matter of weeks, with a very talented actress playing everyone's favorite blood-soaked telekinetic prom queen. Chloe Moretz has 4 action figures, Gleeks. You have none.

- Why are they insisting on trying to make us feel sorry for Tina when she's being a massive selfish bitch?

- I don't like Bree. Not in a "love to hate" way like Kitty last year, just...hate.

- "Hey Jude." Way to lift Tina's spirits by using the song Paul McCartney wrote to say "Sorry your dad loves your brother more than you, Julian."

- After the dress switch...where the hell did Kitty's change of clothes come from? And why didn't Tina just go to the locker room and shower?

- These two episodes have had the most obvious song segues ever. Blaine needs assistance? "Help." Artie and Kitty keep their relationship on the DL? "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." Dani and Santana watch a sunrise? "Here Comes the Sun." It's like they picked the songs first, and wrote the plot around them.

- Line of the night: "Why won't anyone believe me?! Oh, right, the pathological lying."

- What was with the wardrobe in the Lima portion of "Let It Be?" The girls were going kind of hippy, which makes sense for an iconic 60s band (even though the song in question was from 1970, but I digress), but the guys looked like something out of Miami Vice.

- And even though it refers to next week's preview: Why, Glee, must you insist on ruining my wedding song just so you can pay tribute to an average actor who made some terrible choices?
More+
Flag
They've poked fun at their cliches, tropes, and plotlines for awhile now, especially the way they have a storyline that just disappears for a long time and then several episodes later just comes back out of the blue.
As for the wardrobe change, they were changing clothes right next to a rack of costumes so I'm assuming she got something from there.
I'm pretty sure that by now they know what songs they want to use and then write the episode around them rather than the other way around which is unfortunate.
And finally, my favorite line of the episode was during Santana's commercial: "I like yeast in my bagel, not in my muffin."
Flag
I didn't watch the episode, I'm just waiting to see what they'll do with the Cory Monteith plotline, but what song did they use?
Flag
I was a little bummed about the playlist this week. The later Beatles years are by far my favorite, however I like this week's renditions less than last week's overall. I really only liked Here Comes the Sun & Hey Jude.
Flag
I'm just SO happy they cut off Jenna Ushkowitz destroying Revolution. And I'm sorry if anyone actually liked how she sang that, but let's be honest: some songs simply CANNOT be touched.

That said, this episode was soooo much better than last week's.
Flag
First of all, I was ROLLING with laughter during Santana's commercial. "I like yeast in my bagel, not in my muffin. *wink*" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT?! Oh Lord, if only they had more of these things.

Overall, I really liked this episode. A lot. Definitely much better than last week. And while I did roll my eyes when Rachel got the part (which of course she did, because RACHEL BERRY), it will inevitably be offset by what she'll go through next week. So...I can deal with it. I can even deal with the whole prom deal (which was at bet cliched, and at worst a blatant Carrie rip-off without the cool special effects).

Oh! And ANOTHER laughter-inducing moment: the bell cutting Tina off midway through her song, and the entire Glee club just bailing....LOLx100, because you KNOW these kids don't actually care about going to class.
Flag
and Kurt got a great internship, Santana got national commercial with no agent, Mercedes got a recording contract from a video, Brittany got into MIT, Sue gets to be the principal. They all get things that don't make sense that is part of the comedy. The Rachel resentment is what needs to stop.
Flag
I disagree. Kurt landing a cool-yet-unpaid internship isn't a stretch. Santana landing a commercial and subsequently losing out on a bigger payday because of her naivety isn't a stretch. Mercedes being offered a record deal because of her performance on Youtube, and then subsequently losing it, while admittedly a bit more of a stretch, at least showcases her disappointment. Brittany and Sue's story lines are purely for comedic effect, so I'm not even considering those. But Rachel, a fresh-faced, not-even-done-with-college-yet singer, though extremely talented, just waltzes in and lands the leading role in a major Broadway production of one of the most famous musicals ever written? Rachel, unlike all of the other characters, always gets what she wants (with the exception of marrying Finn, which even she later agreed was for the better anyway). I don't resent her, but her character is ridiculous because we're suppose to take this arch seriously.
Flag
Brittany got into MIT? That's not even funny.
Flag
I thought it was kind of funny :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members