A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Glee S05E10: "Trio"

Welp, it looks like Schue and Emma are having a baby. Thanks for not dragging that one out, Glee

Last week's "Frenemies" laid the groundwork for what I'm assuming will be a large chunk of the rest of Glee's fifth season: Rachel and Santana battling it out over Funny Girl; McKinley's latest batch of seniors getting ready to graduate and then never go away. As an extension of the actual progress made in "Frenemies," "Trio" sort of worked. Mostly, it confirmed a lot of what we already figured would happen, even if it marked the second episode in a row that featured a ton of infighting and gross pre-commencement proclamations of eternal friendship. 

In New York, Rachel continued to be an insufferable diva, but Santana really was out to screw her over. 

And in Lima, Tina was highly emotional heading into graduation, and when Sue (who is my spirit animal) canceled the first annual senior lock-in because it sounded like a lawsuit waiting to happen (I mean, it sounded like a lawsuit waiting to happen) Blaine, Tina, and Sam decided to throw their own sleepover at the school because they are pathetic. Becky inexplicably showed up to crash their party, though her suicidal version of Twister actually looked like a good time in a bad way. And then Tina got to make out with Sam because that hadn't happened yet. 

Oh, and Schue tried to be supportive of Emma by being a total weirdo.

Musically, we landed something from every conceivable audience age group—a healthy mix of genres plus the theme song from The Breakfast Club. (With seven songs crammed into 40-something minutes and a leering expiration date stamped on Glee's sticky, slushie-covered forehead, the need to milk that iTunes gravy train is strong with this one.) 

Anyway, the onset of Blaine, Tina, and Sam's pomp and circumstance gave Schue a platform to get all schmaltzy and tell the New Directions that "these are the friendships you're gonna cherish for the rest of your life," which made me seriously question whether anyone involved with Glee actually attended high school. Like, a real one, where everyone is miserable and the only kids having a meltdown about how sad the end of high school is are the ones who know they peaked at prom. During the performance of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" all I could think about was the actual plot of The Breakfast Club and how, in reality, those kids probably never spoke to each other again come the next Monday at school.

Lord knows the ongoing drama in New York didn't make a case for high school as a breeding ground for lifelong friendships. Starchild and Kurt found themselves torn between Santana and Rachel, who really flexed their manipulation muscles in an attempt to, IDK, win Starchild's love? At one point, Rachel even told Santana that Santana needed to let Rachel have her Fanny Brice role in peace because Rachel let Santana have Kurt and the apartment. So much for best friends forever, right, Kurt? And how about the girls' implication that gay men are property? Yikes.

I'm weirdly proud of Kurt, though, and I'm not often proud or even particularly fond of Kurt. Starchild was right when he pointed out that Kurt was probably used to Rachel and Santana's drama. And he so is, but rather than watch the girls' crap ruin something he's actually rather passionate about, rather than let it ruin something he's apparently staked his future on because he never seems to be attending class or working at his Vogue internship anymore, Kurt did something kind of surprising—maybe the only surprising part of "Trio"—and started a new band with Starchild and Dani. Or, you know, Adam Lambert and Demi Lovato. Not bad, Porcelain. Not bad at all. Pamela Lansbury may be dead (this week) but from the ashes has risen One Three Hill. *sniffle* SO PROUD.

Next week, the New Directions heads to Los Angeles for Nationals. I'm so excited. I'm also giddy at the idea of Santana destroying Rachel because even though it will never ever happen, a girl's got to dream. It seemed like the leading ladies were on their way toward a teensy weensy spot of reconciliation though. That would be okay, too. 

See you in L.A.! Will you be there? (You should really be there.)

MUSICAL NOTES

– This week's Glee playlist: Will and Emma's "Danny's Song" was nice. Also, "Hold On" because you can't really go wrong with an ensemble and a montage. 

– Glee actually addressed the problematic connotations of calling someone your "best gay," without being all self-righteous and awful about it. 

– Emma got compared to a goat a few times during her brief fling with infertility. Will seemed very perceptive to the idea of his wife being a goat, but on the plus side, we got half a second of Schue being an actual history teacher before abandoning his class to bone the former Miss Pillsbury somewhere public enough that Becky walked in on them. They couldn't find somewhere more secluded? Amateurs. 

– Oh, I get it, Will and Emma are becoming a "trio" because baby makes three. Cute. 

– Nationals predictions, anyone?

64 Comments
Comments (64)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Last week was definitely a much stronger episode. This definitely just felt like a plot continuation because they couldn't really start much else up with nationals and graduation taking up the next couple of weeks. It wasn't terrible (especially compared to most of the other crap from this season), but it was that good either.
Flag
This episode was a bit dissapointing after a very strong episode last week. Last week was simply awesome...the songs were great, story line was great.
This week it was all over the place...
loved the battle between Rachel and Santana in the diner with Gloria...that was fun to watch....Starchild was awesome to telling Kurt that he is maybe used to this drama, but he isn't and that he is over it...that was awesome..
Loved how Kurt tried to talk to the girls and Santana just wanted to kick Rachels ass.....
Rachel actually annoys me, while i normally love her...now she is playing Funny girl, she has become a diva...in a very bad way...
Wonder what Santana is going to do to Rachel, so she can play the part instead of Rachel...
The rest of the storyline was boring...the whole trio thing didn't work at all..
Becky was more fun to watch with her energy drinks..
Sue was as always awesome with her comments...
Wemma is having a baby...that was nice to watch..!!
Flag
No I think the episode is still really good..
I re-watched the old episodes like Katy/Gaga, the End of Twerk, etc,, and compare to this one, it's like hell (old eps) to heaven (new eps)..
Flag
As much as I love Glee, this episode sucks a bit. The plot is not that really compelling. NY plot is ok though not strong enough 'cause it's more like of a part 2 of 'Frenemies'. Song selections are quite odd and I barely see the point of putting the 'senior lockout' plot at all just to force Sam & Tina do their 'experimental' makeout. I'm a bit sick of everyone's pairing up w/ everyone in glee.
Flag
I must agree with you on the pairing thing. Sam looks like a whore man. Very unlike the sweet, likable Sam in season 2-3.
Flag
They just changed. Even Tina went from goth girl to "the biggest bitch at McKinley", and Blaine was lovable to, and then changed into the male version of Diva Rachel (and his reaction to the make out normally would mean he still has feelings for Sam anyway)
Flag
I'm excited for next week because since the show is filmed in LA and it will be taking place in LA they will actually be able to film outside. When's the last time they did that? New York maybe?
Flag
So Puck and Mercedes will be there right?
Flag
Emma should also appear in the 100th, but she won't sing in that episode.
Flag
Puck, Mercedes, Brittany, Quinn and Mike will appear on the 100th double episode; March 18th I think; also April (Kristin Chenoweth) and Holly (Gwyneth Paltrow).
Flag
I know that Mercedes will be there from watching the preview but not sure about Puck. Didn't he move back to Ohio after not making it in California?
Flag
In what Glee universe does Jumpin Jumpin fit into the story line? Furthermore why is Sam singing that song? That doesn't come anywhere near his repertoire. Why is Artie suddenly being rejected... no explanation there. The plot lines are just going all over the place! Adam and Lea RUINED Heart's song Barracuda. Glees musical budget must be tight cuz "The Happening" sung by Chris, Adam and Demi was way beneath their talent level. Those three could have put out something fabulous without divas Lea and Naya. The best part was the return of Sue Sylvestor... sarcasm queen and Wemma having a baby!
Flag
Glee is moronic except some brilliant person thought to add Adam Lambert to the mix. The cream rises to the top and High tide lifts all boats. Adam will continue to do a fantastic job no matter how bad the show is and he will say nice things because he is a professional, but I wish he didn't have to stoop this low to get attention. Hopefully once he hits the road with Queen, all will be just PERFECT. :)
Flag
Yep, Adam's the only reason to watch this disaster of a show now.
Flag
Wow that's harsh or you're a huge Adam fan with hate towards everyone but him. Glee is no way moronic, just disappointing sometimes.
The recent plots are way better than before. And parts in which Kurt & Trio -Dani,Elliott- plus Rachel-Santana are no way idiotic, it is very natural and admirable.
Flag
Maybe I missed something, but since when are Will and Emma having sex? And in such an unsanitary - not to mention public - place.
Flag
Oh at graduation Emma flirted with him with a pamphlet saying "When it's time to have intercourse..." so at least they made it that one time ahah
But agree with you on the unsanitary and public place, Emma has OCD only at plot's convenience
Flag
I know the feeling. I, too, have worried about whether certain friends considered me a 'Pocket gay'. XD
Flag
It's silly to make Elliot say that line since the show loved to make the gay characters Best Gay...
Flag
If the New Directions lose, then just make sure they end up 3rd place rather than 2nd place as default.
Flag
They'r nowhere near the level for victory... or I just don't feel them as an ensemble
Flag
They have already spoiled that they get 2nd place.
Flag
2nd place is too painful.
Flag
Just make sure that 3rd place is good enough, rather than just both 2nd and last places.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Prediction for Nationals and beyond: they'll lose; 2nd or 3rd place, doesn't matter; Sue disbands the Glee club; the seniors graduate and move to NYC; Shue gets a role on Broadway with April or a college job with Holly and moves to NYC; Sue gets fired from McKinley for framing Figgins and gets a job as a coach in NYC... Goodbye McKinley and hello NYC for Season 6.
Flag
Sue will get fired, but unfortunately, she won't end up in New York because of the gun situation she set up from the previous season. Sue is going to end up in jail, no offense. She won't be involve disbanding the Glee Club even if they are ending soon.
Flag
Actually, Sue ending up in jail is not a bad idea... it would be a hoot and a half... something a la Orange is the New Black... even funnier if Bieste or Roz Washington or both end up being her jail guard(s)
Flag
Good suggestion!
Flag
I thought the episode was more good than bad. I like when Glee isn't ashamed of being ridiculous. I laughed out loud a few times, especially at Blaine's reaction after seeing Tina and Sam making out. Now, I'm not sure about Will and Emma having a baby. Isn't Emma on meds for her OCD's?
Flag
Oh god dying of laughter at Sue's reaction to Shue and Emma said that emission line. I thought Kurt's trio with Elliot and Dani was good. I was seriously cringing when Blaine overreacted to the Tina/Sam thing. I laughed when Will said the seniors were going their separate ways coz all I could think was aren't 3 of the 4 seniors heading for New York after graduation. Sue was surprisingly helpful, even if a little graphic about it, towards Will and Emma's baby issues. Poor Elliot, he got the full Rachel experience. I don't get why Santana said that Rachel was pudgy in high school. Proud of Kurt for not giving into Rachel & Santana's crazy. I felt bad for Artie being left out of the whole seniors thing. I'm starting to wonder why they bothered promoting Blake, Melissa, Jacob and Alex to regulars then relegate them to the background for most of the season, especially since they're switching to NY for the 2nd half of this season.
Flag
Don't forget about Kitty, who is also promoted as a regular. By the way, please do not get me wrong about Brittany, they did not show a scene of her with these requirements in order to prove she already graduated: 1.) wearing a red graduation cap, 2.) wearing a red graduation gown and 3) holding a McKinley High School scholar. She might return in the 100th and the graduation episodes and graduate along with Tina, Artie, Blaine and Sam in the meantime. Sugar and Joe will also come back for the Nationals, but Sugar will have to graduate with Brittany, Tina, Artie, Blaine and Sam at the same time, because the actress, who plays Sugar, entered "Mixiology" at the same time, no offense. Joe will be with Marley, Kitty, Unique, Jake and Ryder in McKinley.
Flag
Is their band actually called One Three Hill? That is AWESOME. One Tree Hill is my favourite show and Glee is my second favourite (I have amazing taste in television basically). I must have missed that. My favourite part of the entire episode was that guy angrily screaming "WHAT?!" when Kurt said that Pamela Lansbury is dead. It's that kind of random absurd humour that Glee does well.
Flag
Also, Hold On is everything to me but does anyone else notice how lazy the choreography has gotten? They use to do some really great numbers with cool choreography and now it's like they had to fire their choreographer due to budget cuts or something. Every number is just them all kind of swaying and improvising and they're all directed really blandly.
Flag
Demi was pretty much just an extra, except for that one episode.

The name of the band was my favourite thing about this episode.
Flag
Becky is a tough mental disabled servant of Sue. First, she caught Emma and Will in the private room about sex and child situations, then she caught Tina, Sam and Blaine about performing in the middle of the dark hallways and found out that Blaine left the window open.

The lock-in has problems, but Blaine got shocked seeing Tina and Sam kissing, but I don't know if "Tinam" works or not.

It was wrong for Tina to be turned down and being left behind, but we are not letting her down right now. I do like the way she's singing right now.

Unique mentioned about "Threeyonce" after the Destiny's Child's "Jumpin' Jumpin'" performance by Tina, Sam and Blaine toughly.

But I hope Sue will get caught red-handed by next week and suffer these strong consequences, especially the gun situation from last season:

1.) Lose her principal's job.
2.) Removed from the office.
3.) Expelled from the high school.
4.) Arrested by the police.
5.) Thrown into jail for the rest of her life.

I can predict that she will never end up in New York at all.

Emma and Will are expected a child:

1.) If it is a boy, then named it Finn.
2.) If it is a girl, we figure it out.
3.) If it is twins, then they have to be siblings, but the boy has to be named Finn and the girl will be figured out.

But it looks probably they will be both reduced as recurring guest stars because Will got a job offer in Washington DC and the actress who played Emma joined "The Millers" at the same time.

I'm not sure if Dani or Elliot might be the cause for Rachel and Santana to fight for the Fanny Brice role, Rachel should win it.

I probable that Brittany should return for 99th the 100th episode because the producers and writers did not show her wearing a red graduation cap, wearing a red graduation gown and holding a high school scholar yet, which is legitimate.

Sugar and Joe should also return for the 99th episode because they are part of joining the Nationals, taking place in Los Angeles, where Mercedes is right now. We have to be careful about the whole Nationals episode, which is next week, so obey the rules, like you did in Chicago nationals in season 3:

* No kissing
* No distractions
* No drug abuse
* No alcohol substance
* No collapsings
* No negativity

Finally, Sugar may have to graduate with Brittany, Tina, Artie, Blaine and Sam at the same time because the actress who played Sugar is already in "Mixiology" at the same time. Joe will continue in McKinley High school glee club with Marley, Kitty, Unique, Jake and Ryder.
More+
Flag
I liked last week's episode because it looked like Glee was making an effort to get back to more heartfelt, earnest drama, like the show had in its first couple of seasons (and for which i've been holding out for despite the hyper snooze fest that was season bore). But this week we're almost already back to the happyland puke-tastic status quo, and after this second round of cartoon fight:the bitch vs the diva, everyone knows round three is gonna be all about the hugging. Oh yawn. Glee, can't you throw something a little surprising in our faces for once. I don't know, make them make out or kill each other (but then I wouldn't watch anymore, because I'm certainly not watching for Blaine, Sam and Tina), but no more fake thirty seconds conflicts that end with rainbows and Care Bears and everyone achieving their dreams! Do something unpredictable, pleaaase...

One good bit in this episode: hopefully Blaine's remark that Glee club will practically be dead after they leave means that we're gonna dump the Marley gang completely after this season? Also they have almost no dialogue/plots these days? Maybe the writers wised up on the fact that NO ONE CARES and they're going to discreetly scoot into the background during the season finale never to be seen again (in Glee, the actors are totally fine imo, I hope they survive this). One can hope?
More+
Flag
actually it's been announced everywhere that the show will take over New York entirely after Nationals+graduation this time. means, leaving marley and the gang behind completely - hopefully with no regrets, no looking back.
Flag
I predict that their national's performance will double as their first practice of all the songs they sing.
Flag
All that good-will Rachel (surprisingly) generated with me last week? WOOSH out the window as soon as she opened her mouth in this episode!

I know this was naive (because Glee), but I was hoping they would keep Rachel and Santana "broken up", just because last episode felt so genuine to me. But of course, they've already basically made up again, so no hopes there. At least Glee doesn't disappoint in the whole "character development is bad at best and ludicrous at worst department", I guess?

Also, LOL at the "I just saw a squirrel come out of your hair"-line. And that Adam Lambert is apparently a grungy hipster now!
Flag
You know with Rachel vs Santana last week there was enough ambiguity there that you could see both sides? Well of course in true Glee style now they've turned Santana into an evil caricature, yay.

Kurt's voice does NOT suit his new band. Bring back PL.

Mr Schue having a quickie in the bathroom and then telling his students to 'squeeze in as many experiences as you can', hmm not sure that does much for his pervy creep image.

I noticed a drummer in the choir room for the first time in ages and it made me sad because I miss Finn.

None of the songs were great this week but Hold On was the most competent.
Flag
I honestly think The Happening is very good and unique. Not everyone's taste, maybe. but there's art in it. It's also no boring.
Flag
I don't think this episode made her an evil caricature at all. She doesn't hate Rachel, she just wants success more, just like Rachel. Her logic was, "Rachel would do the exact same thing that I'm doing now" and she's right. I think what Santana did was pretty understandable. They're both just handling it like children but I don't think that makes Santana evil.
Flag
Rachel would have totally done the same thing! But we're not used to her doing such things because she gets everything handed
Flag
She's a caricature because she's singly focused on ruining Rachel's dream. Up to now she might have had legitimate reasons to audition. Rachel would not do the exact same thing, Rachel is self-obsessed and she would only ever follow her own dream. She would never put some dubious high school rivalry ahead of that. Not that I'm a big Rachel fan at the moment or anything.
Flag
I know this sound redundant but really the acting on the Lima side was almsot embrassing.
Flag
I agree with you. can the Lima gang go back to acting 101 class first?
Flag
Okay, so Fanny Brice was actually Jewish, but there is nothing essential to the story in Funny Girl that requires it. I thought last week's mention was racist, but opening with it in the voice over recap this week was super offensive. Hate the writers of this show and their weird sense of what is and isn't socially acceptable.
Flag
I think it was the only quick way to say that Rachel and Santana are so different that it wouldn't be possible in real world for them to be playing the same character. And Rachel has almost never had a storyline about her being jewish, so I feel pretty neutral about it.
Flag
Staff
Ugh. I missed the voice over. But REALLY?
Flag
Thanks for the thumbs up MaryAnn!
Flag
Fanny whole schtick was about being Jewish. Anyway it is more about Rachel's insecurities as an unconventional Jewish girl who possilby could even lose this role that is tailor made for her looks to a pretty hot girl.
Flag
Her "schtick" isn't really relevant to the basic story line, but even if it were, being a jew doesn't have the same cultural relevance it had in the early 1900's and your argument furthers that the role should be played by a latina today. They are both pretty hot girls by most standards, so just forget that argument.
Flag
Rachel doesn't see herself as a hot girl thought. I won't forget canon. And Fanny Brice was a real person. The story is still set post WW1.
Flag
Exactly my point. In post-WWI America a jewish girl would have been looked at in society roughly like a latina today. If you want a modern audience to understand a post-WWI story, you are better off pursuing some kind of resonance with that audience than following the exact literal facts of the story. It's like the difference between translation and transliteration of idioms. Your way loses the meaning in pursuit of the details.
Flag
I liked about half of the songs — in order from top to bottom:
  • Barracuda (terrific arrangement, with good vocals)
  • Hold On (yes, it's as fluffy as cotton candy, but it's still a great pop song)
  • Danny's Song (Morrison's never been one of my favorite singers, but that tune gets me right in the feels)
  • The Happening (far from one of the Supremes' best, imo, but this was a nice arrangement that made me like the song more than the original)
It was nice to see they included Don't You (Forget About Me) — it fit the scene well... but I thought their version of the song itself was just sort of "okay".

I didn't care for the opening tune (which I guess was called Jumpin' Jumpin'?), and I've always hated Gloria with a passion, so I'll admit I fast-forwarded through both of those.

But I was really glad to see Demi Lovato back again. Honestly, I didn't know much about her at all before her Glee appearances, but there's something special about her that nobody else has, and that elevates the show whenever she's on screen. If they ever decided to do a spinoff starring her and Adam Lambert, I'd totally watch that.
More+
Flag
I think the episode was OK, in general; it definitely had its ups and downs.
UPs:
- Sue's reaction after Emma said "we achieved emission"
- Barracuda
- Breaking into McKinley (THUD!!! x 3)
- Blaine's expressions when he caught Tina and Sam making out
- Gloria
- Hold On
- Wemma baby
DOWNs:
- Becky: REALLY getting on my nerves
- Tina: getting there also
- Jake, Marley and Blake: they've been mute for at least the past 2 episodes; they've become human background
- One Three Hill; this goes into this week's WTF
MEHs:
- The Beyonce cover; what was that song again?
- Wemma's song
RBI and the writers really need to get their heads out of their asses and start coming up with better storylines, or season 6 is going to be a disaster (I'm giving them a pass on Season 5 because Cory's passing seriously affected ALL of them).
Flag
I agree about Becky, I hate her. But I loved Jumpin Jumpin and I was really happy they covered it :) Finally Tina gets some real diva moments!
Flag
ha, that's what you think. I don't really agree. everywhere they put One Three Hill on top.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members