A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

Like many of you, I was heartbroken to hear about Cory Monteith's death. But beyond the grief I feel for the actor, I'm equally sad about Finn Hudson. How will the show handle this? Do you think they'll kill him off on the show? How could any other possible explanation work for the sudden disappearance of the "heart" of the show?

Comments (11)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sep 28, 2013
Finn has to die. Even Glee, master of the inexplicably disappearing characters for half a season, can't not mention Finn for the rest of the series. Obviously he's technically at college at the moment, but if Rachel and Santana can fly back and forth from New York on a whim, it'd be odd if he wasn't there. It already felt strange when he wasn't there for Blaine's proposal.

I also think it would be pretty crazy to have him die from a drug overdose. We might not have known about Cory's drug problems, but all of his friends did - Finn has never even been depicted drinking, really, let alone using drugs. It would absolutely no sense to have him die of mixing heroin and alcohol!

The reality is also, that people die sometimes. Someone I knew committed suicide while at university, and her friends were grief-stricken. They organised a coach to her funeral (which was on the other side of the country where her family lived).

Glee has the potential here to really make a great episode. They probably won't because Ryan Murphy can't write for toffee, but it could be a lasting testament to a loved character and actor that many of us who have lost friends unexpectedly can appreciate.

More+
Flag
Aug 15, 2013
I hope Rachel will find a new boyfriend, which does not have these problems:

- Erratic love technique
- Meanness
- Drug-dealings

He better appear after the big winter break!
Flag
Aug 12, 2013
For the sake of those who maybe haven't been reading things online, I will put a few lines because your question about how it's going to be handled has been answered and I know not everyone wants spoilers.

So again, SPOILER ALERT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are going to have Finn pass away on the show. They have said they will directly address the issues that lead to Cory's passing but haven't said whether or not that means they will have Finn die from a drug overdose. Personally, I really wish they wouldn't go that route. I think the PSAs they are filming to air during the episode serve that purpose without cheapening the character. But I will reserve final judgment until the episode actually airs.
Flag
Sep 30, 2013
Glee has always been a show that deals with the real life everyday issues that people face. Cory was my favorite actor on the show and I broke down as if my own family member had passed and I'm not embarrassed to say so, which brings me to my point. There is no shame in the very real life struggle Cory faced and therefore, I see no reason to be dishonest about how he passed, if that is the route they choose to take this in. In fact, the message they could send, might very well save some lives. Sweeping issues like addiction under the rug, is saying we don't want to deal with this very sad yet real life issue. I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard to hear that Cory's character Finn Hudson passed away from an overdose but telling the truth just might help save some lives as I stated before. I believe I read somewhere that Lea Michelle a.k.a. Rachel, who was Cory's real life girlfriend as well, said she wanted his death to be handled honestly and I believe Ryan Murphy was on board with her. I guess we will see soon enough but IMHO, I think it would mean a lot to Cory's fans, to see and hope for some good to come from this heartbreaking tragedy. Cory, you will forever be missed. Peace, Diane
More +
Flag
Staff
Aug 12, 2013
I feel like that might be the best way to handle it. I don't know about the PSA part, but I do agree with having him pass away & letting the characters mourn his loss like in real life. Good closure for everyone.
Flag
Aug 13, 2013
I completely agree that he needs to pass away, I just don't think a drug-fueled death is the right way to go.
Flag
Staff
Aug 13, 2013
Yes, I hope it's done tastefully in a way that doesn't ruin the memory of the character.
Flag
Aug 12, 2013
Where did you get this information? If there's a whole article, I'd like to read it. I figured that Finn would have to die, there just doesn't seem to be any other way to deal with him being off the show.
Flag
Aug 12, 2013
Here's the article. This is just one of the places that you can find it. Most of the main entertainment sites ran the story.

http://tvline.com/2013/08/01/glee-season-5-finn-death-dies-drugs/
Flag
Aug 20, 2013
Just saw an article quoting Ryan Murphy as saying they will probably not even mention a 'how' in regards to Finn's death. He will pass away and the episode will focus on allowing the cast and 'young people' to express their grief at Cory's (and by extension, Finn's) passing. I guess us oldies will be allowed to express our grief as well.
I think this is quite a good way to go.
Glee has always been my happy place. It has helped me through some crap times in my life, like the death of my husband., by giving me an escape from my real life. I'm really hoping it can pull off this episode in a way that let's it remain that.
Flag
Aug 20, 2013

(http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/159836/glees_ryan_murphy_rev)

Flag
Aug 20, 2013
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 7:00 pm
    NFL Football Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders
    CBS
  •  
    NFL Football Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders
    CW