A Glee Community
FOX (ended 2015)

SHE LOVES YOU LIKE A LOVE SONG

Demi Lovato has signed on for a significant role in Glee's upcoming fifth season. She'll play Dani, a struggling artist type in New York who's friends with Rachel and Santana, and who will be spending a lot of her time with Adam Lambert's incoming character. Lovato is signed on for at least six episodes and will first appear in the October 3 Beatles tribute episode. And because I know you're all worried, fear not: She'll carry on her X Factor judging duties as normal. [TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... In the wake of the sudden suicide of Lee Thompson Young this morning, TNT has halted production on its hit series Rizzoli & Isles in order to give the cast and crew time to grieve the loss of their colleague and friend, and to give the writers time to chart a proper course of action for the series. Young played Detective Barry Frost, the partner of Angie Harmon's Jane Rizzoli. [Deadline Hollywood]

... On a much happier note, Sophie Turner, the actress who plays Sansa Stark on Game of Thrones, has adopted her character's "direwolf." Fans of the series know that Lady went to direwolf heaven in Season 1, but when the owners of the dog who played her were looking to re-home the pup, Turner's mom convinced them to let her adopt the animal instead. [The Coventry Telegraph]

... The History Channel has greenlit a four-hour miniseries about Harry Houdini, creatively titled Houdini. The miniseries will trace Houdini's life from extreme poverty to extreme famousness. Adrien Brody is set to star as the magician, while House of Cards' Kristen Connolly will play his wife Bess. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Forty-one percent of people recently polled in Louisiana think Duck Dynasty star Willie Robertson should not run for Congress. In related news, 100 percent of people writing this article think this poll was a waste of time and money. [Politico]

... In an attempt to beef up FXX, the new sister channel to FX that will launch on September 2, FX Networks is developing a new comedy series with comedian D.L. Hughley. The deal was just closed last week so there's not much info available, but Hughley says it's a series about doing a radio show. If you're confused, it's probably because Hughley's actual radio show, The D.L. Hughley Show, launched today in five cities, and hits 45 other markets in the near future. FXX will also begin airing re-runs of The Hughleys this fall. And I'm just realizing now that D.L. might be a tad narcissistic. [Laughspin]

... Beginning September 17, you can watch The Middle every day at 5pm on ABC Family. If you're on the fence about whether you want to make such a big commitment, ABC Family is airing an eight-hour marathon on September 16, starting at 11am. Episodes airing during the marathon include the pilot, "The Bee," "Average Rules," "A Birthday Story," and "The Sit Down." [ABC Family via press release] 

CASTING NEWS

... Rachel Dratch will guest-star on The Middle as Brick's new middle school principal. She'll appear early in Season 5, and because no one ever dreams of being a middle school principal when they grow up, Dratch's character is pretty much going to be over all the bullshit. [TV Line]

... Dana Davis (Franklin & Bash) and Peter Macon (The Shield) are joining Jake Sandvig and Chris Diamantopoulos in the cast of Bryan Fuller's High Moon. Davis plays Yama Winehart, the one and only human to be born on the moon, and she can never leave it because something about gravity I don't understand because I'm not really good at science. Macon plays her father, General Gale Lynn Winehart, a wary army general with years of battle experience. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Sarah Clarke (24, The Tomorrow People) has landed a lead role in a new drama pilot from AMC. The project, Line of Sight, is about Lewis Brent, a National Transportation Safety Board investigator who survives a horrific plane crash. This leads him on a personal quest to discover the cause of the accident. Clarke will play Lewis’s wife Dot, who is attempting to save both her marriage and her husband's life. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Ravenswood, the Pretty Little Liars spin-off that looks to be filmed entirely via Instagram, has cast two of its parental figures. Henry Simmons (NYPD Blue) and Sophina Brown (Numb3rs), who are married in real life, will play Simon and Terry Beaumont, the parents of Remy (American Horror Story). Simon runs the local paper, and Terry is a war veteran struggling with survivor's guilt. Here's hoping she gets that taken care of before she goes the way of True Blood's Terry Bellefleur. [TV Line]

TODAY IN BREAKING BAD NEWS

... A bunch of crazy people in southern Connecticut dialed 911 on Sunday night when their cable went out during Breaking Bad. Look, I get that you're upset—I probably would've burned a bunch of my roommate's stuff in a blind rage—but let's save the 911 calls for real emergencies, like if Jesse Pinkman dies. [NY Daily News]

... The coordinates in Walt's lottery numbers from last night's episode actually direct you to Albuquerque Studios, where the series is filmed. So please stop digging holes in the desert like a meth addict. [Wired]

AND IN THE HOLY CRAP COLUMN...

... Television legend Dick Van Dyke had to be rescued from his car today; the vehicle had burst into flames on the 101 in Los Angeles. The 87-year-old actor is said to be doing fine, but my pacemaker is being installed tomorrow. [THR]

57 Comments
Comments (56)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i think demi would be great on the show.
Flag
Well, Demi is friends with Lea Michele and could be great help for her through hard and emotional times on Glee. BTW, I like Demi's singing. I think she sings and acts mountains of talent over and above those at McKinley. Adam Lambert is a wonderful singer and actor from stage. These two are definitely needed to fill holes in the talent the show has right now.
Flag
My favorite tweet about Dick Van Dyke story is from Gary Pearson: Dick Van Dyke rescued from burning car. Accident happened when an ottoman was left carelessly on the freeway.
Flag
I think Henry Simmons and Sophina Brown were both on the James Woods series, Shark. That seems like it would be an obvious "connect the dots" that the writer missed. I'm almost curious if that's where they met.

Also, I feel a little weird that the first thing I think of in connection to Lee Thompson Young is his character's suicide on Flashforward.
Flag
I'm still reeling from the news about LT Young....
High Moon sounds cool. I swear, I don't think I could have handled losing Young and Dick Van Dyke in 1 post. Good thing Dick is ok. That man is a legend.
Flag
Glee needs to either end or stop focusing so much on guest stars and instead focus on the actual core cast. they introduced a slew of new character last season and, while I don't particularly like them and think the originals should just graduate and end up in New York and Glee be only the NY storylines, they barely gave them any development. I don't particularly like Demi but I also don't dislike her. atleast she's more talented than Adam Lambert...

when I read "Dick Van Dyke" I thought "not him too!" but thankfully it wasn't another death to go along with the lot these days.
Flag
Oh man, I saw the name Dick Van Dyke and thought the worst! Be careful, Dick!!!
Flag
Adrien Brody's head is on the wrong way to play Houdini, his is long while Houdini's was round and wide. Still, he does have some intensity, maybe they'll get this to work... it's on The History Channel? Then I have no idea.

Oh DL Hughley, don't do another shitcom, mm'kay? You're an edgy, off-the-cuff, thinking, political comedian, so a family sitcom was really a step backwards, don't repeat that mistake. FXX is replaying your family sitcom? Oh, then I guess they're repeating that mistake.

High Moon sounds like the strangest dartboard-developed series yet. "We'll take a video gamer, give him... no, it says 'her'... a spiritual third eye but it only works when she's... in her penthouse apartment in... Provo, Utah... where she's fighting to... overcome her addiction to... the smell of her father's cigarette butts -- PERFECT!"
"You're fired!"
"Good choice, boss!"

That Dick Van Dyke car fire thing was crazy, really burned up, luckily a good citizen came to the acting legend's rescue and pulled him out in time.
Flag
Staff

Harry Houdini 4hr mini series. Yes please.
Flag
OMG I have that exact picture hanging on my wall. Yes please indeed.
Flag
That Houdini mini-series sounds pretty interesting. I might check it out.

However, I'd probably be looking forward to it more if Ken Marino was playing Houdini (like he did in the latest episode of Drunk History) instead of Adrien Brody. Marino makes everything better.
Flag
It's a good thing Dick Van Dyke wasn't driving Chitty. :)

Flag
I'll watch anything with Dana Davis, she's a great actress (and she's gorgeous).

It's really unfair to Sarah Clarke but every time I see her name I picture Leslie Hope instead and I think "ugh she's terrible", because, you know, Leslie Hope is terrible, but then my mind brain kicks in and I realise Sarah Clarke is Nina not Teri, then I think "sorry Sarah, please forgive" and then I reread the article and usually think "yeah I'll give it a shot, seeing as Leslie Hope isn't in it".
Flag
Looking forward to seeing Demi on Glee...
Flag
I would be the happiest if Glee decided to stay in New York only. The new characters are promising.
Flag
Oh good. More new characters. That's exactly what Glee needs to make it good again...
Flag
I have no idea who Demi Lovato is. I've seen the name. I've probably never heard it though. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say she sings.
Flag
well, that depends on how you define singing.
Flag
If that comment is somehow suggesting that Demi Lovato isn't a good singer, I'm pretty sure you haven't heard her music before. She has beautiful deep voice and great range.
Flag
LOVE GLEE, and Demi couldn't be more perfect! I love this!
Flag
Wow. Demi Lovato. Just when Glee can't get any more synthetic, they've cast the Queen of autotune for a stint on the show. Way to one-up yourself.
Flag
eh I get that you are not her biggest fan but you should check this out -

It's not auto-tuned, and her voice sounds angelic and simply beautiful.

You have to realize that not every single live performance can sound great. She's one of the few artists out there that can make me cry, and I'm so proud of being her fan.
Flag
Oh lord. That song is absolutely awful. You should be ashamed for trying to rebuff me with anecdotal evidence and an appeal to emotion.
Flag
She's performing the song acoustically (it's the only reason I posted), labeling her as the "Queen of autotune" is simply wrong. She doesn't use auto-tune in every single song.

it's like you are saying she has no talent, and that she doesn't deserve to be on Glee. using auto-tune does not mean that you are a bad singer. Your comments are coming off a little arrogant.
Flag
ha-ha, I get it. You hate Demi. XD
Flag
Arrogance means that one exaggerates their own abilities. I claim to be no better or worse a singer than her. But what I've heard of her live-singing is awful.
Flag
Demi is definitely not the queen of auto tune. Her live performances and ballads prove she has a strong voice. Have you listened to Warrior?
Flag
And you can prove she's not lip synching how?
Flag
because she isn't always perfect but her voice still sounds strong. For example, she messed up some of the Heart Attack song lyrics on GMA and there wasn't a backing track there to 'save' her.
Flag
'Strong' might be a bit of an overstatement. She sounds pretty awful live.
Flag
I love Demi. I just worry that she is taking on so many responsibilities. I hope she can find balance and still stay healthy. But I still won't watch Glee ;p
Flag
love you like a lovesong is a selena gomez song , is not demi lovato's wtf
Flag
same sh1t, different "star"
Flag
Thought the same lol
Flag
If Dana Davis is going to be on High Moon, is that a sign Franklin & Bash are done or will it be in "second position" to that, as they say? She does have a limited role on F&B, so it seems doable, particularly if they shoot High Moon during F&B off time. I like her, but won't miss F&B, if TNT kills it. The show has become forgettable and sometime inconsistent.

Anyone notice that if you use the right arrow key to go to the end of a sentence you write here, your browser will shift the page left like a typewriter? Or is it just me and Firefox? It works the other way too.
Flag
Now I remember why I don't watch Glee. Ew.
Flag
omg, i totally saw his car (Dick Van Dyke)...
Flag
That story had everything!
Flag
Oh yeah?
Flag
oh yeah, huge flames and sudden traffic. I didn't realize it was him at the time tho
Flag
Huh, so that's Kattan, Norm and Dratch as guest stars on The Middle. Anyone else?
Flag
I heard that Dick Van Dyke was treated for minor injuries after tripping over an ottoman while being led away from his car.
Flag
"...Like if Jesse Pinkman dies." Tim that's the funniest thing you have ever said. LOL

What's especially odd about that story is that they committed a misdemeanor crime for nothing. They could have easily watched a repeat episode within the next couple of hours or days.
Flag
That was funny ... but it's not Tim....
Flag
Tim;'s been doing it for so long, it's almost forgivable not noticing Miss Thomas has taken over this column of late.
Flag
She Loves you like a love song?! You're using the title of a Selena Gomez song for news about Demi Lovato?!
Flag
OMG no ways! Totes trues tho! !! ! U R 2 rite. But Kaitlin prbly was like "YOLO ' and walked away totes swag.
Flag
Sry, i meant "k8lin", obvs.
Flag
Oh my lord.......somebody call 911!! Or are they still dealing with those la cray cray people suffering PTSD from having Breaking Bad getting cut off? lol
Flag
I'm so glad that we are going to get to meet Brick's middle school principal! She will for sure be a funny character!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members