Glee

Extraordinary Merry Christmas

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Dec 13, 2011 on FOX

• THAT WAS BAD

1.5
    okay, i must start saying that i love Glee. But, hey, that was bad, bad, bad. I mean the fact that they wanted to do a Christmas special was fine, actually the one from the last year was pretty good, but this was just awful. One song every 2 minutes, literally, i just got tired. And... i mean... where are the storylines? They didn't exist. But this is not the worst, because Glee is not exactly a tv serie that have extremely complicated storylines, but here there was none, and the last 20 minutes were the most terrible 20 minutes that Glee had since it started. What the hell did they wanted to do with that terrible "sketch" that had terrible jokes and a bad acting. And despite of this terrible sketch, Rachel was kind of annoying, i mean, she's always annoying, but sweet at the same time, in this episode i was hoping that Finn hit her three times.

Terrible, terrible, simply terrible...
  • Annoying ep!

True, this ep sucked! Love Sue Sylvester!
  • Christmas episode: cheesy much?

Let's say it out front: I LOVE Christmas. I like the cold and the snow, I like decorating my place, I like making presents, I like seeing my annoying family, I like (a lot of) Christmas songs... Christmas is probably my favorite holiday!

However, this season's Christmas Episode of Glee was almost unbearable!

At first it started out not so badly, with Sue getting a grip and involved in helping the poor. It's sweet, it's consistent with her character and I'm fine with her I-lost-my-sister-and-it's-my-first-Christmas-alone justification. So the glee club was going to help, OK.

But then it went ALL wrong.

OK the glee club was offered to shoot a Christmas special for local TV. But A) WHY did it turn Artie into a senseless jerk? "Oh! No! Christmas should not be sad AT ALL! It should be ALL joy, and cheese! And there should be Chewbacca!" ... *sighs* Then B) WHY did they had this OBVIOUS conflict:" Both events (feeding homeless people / shooting the episode) had to take place at the SAME TIME. This was SO obvious, and SO bad, that when Sue comes to their auditorium to merrily remind them of their engagement, their faces are... expressionless! Really! The actors weren't even able to do anything! There simply was NO logic in that, so they just didn't act. Their faces remained blank. So we don't know how they end up like this. Did they even KNOW they were supposed to sing for the homeless? Had they thought about it before, and made their decision already? Not only do they choose to shoot the episode instead of helping people (VERY like them, good job, writers!), but they don't even look like they are THINKING about it! This only was shocking and out of character.

Then there's Rachel, who turns into a bitch, which gives Finn the supposed-to-be-funny line "OMG! I'm dating a Kardashian!" ... hem... Again. Why would sweet Rachel become so greedy? I mean, to make a list if OK, it can help people find ideas for Christmas when they don't, and I'm all for it. But to stay deaf to your boyfriend when he says "Hey! I'm broke! I can't possibly buy you any of these things" and insist on having FIVE of the items of your list? Some bitch needs a good slap in the face! And what's worse: he gives her a present that she REFUSES!!! and then in the end, when she comes to her senses and accepts it, he suddenly has the money to buy her TWO OTHER PRESENTS! Once of them being JEWELERY!

And then there is the Christmas special inside the Christmas special... Well... given the ideas for the episode came to a teenage boy in a DREAM, we could not expect much, but here... Yuck! Since the first seconds I was thinking: "Oh! This is bad! This is so bad!". I like "let it snow", I LOVE Blaine, and their duet on "Baby it's cold outside" last year was almost perfect! But here I was just waiting for it to end. And then the episode went, LOOONG (too long for an episode-inside-the-episode, if you ask me) and CHEESY. It was supposed to mock the cheesy, corny Christmas specials (I guess), but it's Rory reading about JESUS that got them to their senses and change their minds about going or not to the homeless shelter... I LOVE Rory. Damian McGinty has an amazing voice, a great acting talent, and it's a shame he's not given more lines that actually make sense! But here it was just too much... His reading was SWEET, but what it did to the characters was so predictable, so sudden, so illogical, that it even clouded the fact that it was sweet and well done. It was almost like Murphy was ONCE AGAIN reminding us that he was GAY (I mean... the whole black and white thing... so... well...) and a CHRISTIAN. This episode had Gay and Christianity written all over it!

Then, to end our pain and misery, they went to the homeless shelter (with a Turkey!) and sang "Do they know it's Christmas"... Oh Boy... was there a WORSE song to sing here? This song was written t to make rich European/American people feel guilty about the poor/hungry African people so that they'd give money... what a HORRIBLE song to sing to poor people on Christmas! Weren't they supposed to cheer them up? It was almost as if they were saying "Hey! You're poor and miserable, but at least you're in America! What are you ranting about?"...

This episode was terrible terrible terrible... The only thing that MAY save it a little is Mercedes' first performance (obvious but well executed) and the presence and performances of Rory, who's almost magical. So my 3 points go to Damian McGinty, who I hope will stay in the show, and have more sensible lines in the future.
  • Wow...

4.5
    Probably the worst Glee episode I've ever seen. Sadness.
  • Old habits die hard

With this Christmas episode Glee presents the first example for this season of the dreaded "special theme episodes" that were the scourge of the 2nd season. And the writers have demonstrated that they didn't learn too much from last year's faults.

Mind you: there are cute moments. The whole 50s-style black-and-white part -the core of the episode and in all evidence the section the authors bet on to make the episode interesting - is fun to watch. Some cheesiness is to be expected in a Chrismas episode (even if we are at the limits here). The choice of songs is not spectacular but ok (but why does Rory only sing slow/sad songs??).

Pity, then, that the script is a disaster at many levels. First of all, every plot in the story is completely uninteresting verging on the irritating (Rachel and Finn's Christmas list? really??). The introduction of Star Wars (a wasted franchise here) was not just nonsense, which can be accepted, but not even funny.

Then, the writers resorted again to the hateful habit to give a 180 turn to the characters out of the blue. Guys, if you want to make Sue become a complex, tridimensional character you should try harder than throwing her as the supreme villain one episode and Mother Teresa the following one. And of course it's completely normal that Kurt is nicely listening to her after her smear campaign towards his father... and so on.

In conclusion, unless you learn how to make special episodes, dear Murphy & co., please no more!
  • Christmas at Mckinley

Christmas time at Mckinley. A time to be merry and it was for the most part. Loved the closing song in the homeless shelter and it was one of my favorite performances of the season. Also liked the main storyline in this episode, about giving back being just as big a part of Christmas as getting.

However this episode did... cant beleive I'm saying this about a glee episode... bore me at times, partly due to the slow songs suxh as "River" and "Blue Valentine". Would have preferred the glee episode completely merry and upbeat as that is how I feel at Christmas.

Overall good but not standout in my opinion
  • Well that was odd

(Spoilers ahead)

Last week's episode Glee really knocked outta the park, so much I thought they didn;t need to have a Christmas episode. And I was right.

This episode was really confusing with them running around going every which way providing many inconsistencies as only glee can. The plot of this week is that Sue asks Artie, Kurt and Blaine if glee would perform at a homeless shelter for christmas and they say yes. But then Will is asked if the glee kids will do some local cable Christmas special and they agree to do that over helping the homeless. It's not even that, it's that they made it seem like Artie and Kurt hadn;t told everyone about the homeless shelter, otherwise it would seem weird they turned it down.

Artie goes crazy directing insisting that it has all be all happy and fun and Sam walks out. Then we get to the christmas special which is black and white, choking on saccharine and features blaine, kurt, mercedes and rachel singing a very drawn out version of my favorite things, finn and puck dressed as stars wars characters ("purely coincidental" for copyright reasons) and the cheerios dressed as slutty carolers. Then Rory comes in to read them the true meaning of Christmas.

That's when the episode's agenda becomes clear, they;re trying to make it the charlie brown christmas special. this was hinted at with rachel having a very specific and expensive list of what finn should get her for christmas and she tells him "i just want whats coming to me. all i wants my fair share" (sally says this exact line in a charlie brown christmas) and then during their weirdo christmas special rory comes in and reads from the bible. linus would be proud.

then they go to the homeless shelter and find quinn and sam already there (when quinn, who has been first class on the crazy train this whole year, is doing the right thing you know all is not right in whoville). The episode ends with Rachel and Finn trading their gifts for each other to give the money to charity and collecting wiith Sam and Rory.

While this episode proves Glee is in a much better place than it was at this time last year (Kurt was at a different school, Rachel and Finn were broken up, general unhappiness) and this episode the glee family is newly back together again, but it was just all over the place and a tad off. But it was in good cheer nonetheless and makes us look forward to the new year on glee.
  • It's beginning to look alot like christmas!

I LOVED seeing a bit more of Mr Rory Flanagan!!

It was so good to see more of him, he's been put in the background so much this season after winning The Glee Project and after his first episode i've been wondering when they would be featuring him a bit more so it was nice to see/hear him actually sing in episode!

That aside his acting does still need a bit of work. But i love him anyway!

Anywayy... Rachel and Fin, i nearly had to skip past, it did get a tad boring.

Just wish they'd done better songs really...

Oh well, i still love gleeeee!
  • Christmas

This Christmas episode was alright, but not perfect nor bad and kinda too twisty. The beginning and the ending of the episode went very fantastic, Mercedes started the singing and the last song in the homeless shelter was glorified. although the truncations of songs were a little bit lame like "Blue Valentine" and "River". During the "River" encore, sung by Rachel, she looks 100% attractive in that green dress, but she needs to pinch BOTH sides of her green skirt when being applauded. The black and white show was kinda too camouflaged and the songs choices of that part were kinda out of time (60s, 70s and 80s combined). As I repeat, the episode is fair, but not perfect nor bad.
  • Good episode

"Extraordinary Merry Christmas" was in my opinion a good episode. It wasn't great and it wasn't bad. The black and white colored "TV special" was sometimes boring, but still nice to watch. Fin and Rachel moments were in my opinion very good. Sam getting angry was a bit weird, but it was nice to see that he made a new friend: Rory. I also think Damian McGinty (Rory) was acting better than before.

This episode had some really good moments, also some bad moments. The songs were very good chosen and IMO it was better than the Christmas episode of the second season.
  • Christmas at glee club!

For the storyline it was not the best episode but for the spirit it was one of the best. after the last episodes, it was nice to have an episode all joyfull about Christmas spirit and with a lot of references and it was funny. We have some good old rachel and Finn. Some great songs. The black and white parts were nice and funny! I think that for his directorial debuts Matt Morrison made a good job to make us feel the christms spirit.

We have to wait untill next year and enjoy a gleeful christmas with a lot of new christmas song by glee club!
  • That's The Glee Creativity That I Love!

So Christmas specials are always corny and blahh. Even the regular part of this episode was, "meh." What I loved though, is the Christmas special within a Christmas special. That was so incredibly creative, and I just love how they mocked Christmas specials while in the middle of a standard preachy Christmas special! The heightened emotions, the corny jokes, Rachel's gloves, it was all so well done. Again, the actual episode wasn't very exciting, but the fact that the special within a special kind of mocked Christmas specials was just so perfect. In the end, I was super entertained, and that's why I give it such a high score. When Glee can make me laugh really hard, I can overlook things (like how we're supposed to believe that one turkey fed the entire homeless shelter, and how much I can't stand "Do They Know It's Christmas"). Can't wait 'til January!