Glee Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on FOXIn Season

A Perfect Time to End? (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

krinks

[1]May 19, 2011
    • level: 7

After watching the last episode of Glee, I was struck by how much they seem to be wrapping up story lines. If they ended the series at Nationals, I think it would be the perfect way for the series to go out...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS IF YOU ARE NOT UP TO DATE ON ALL THE EPISODES...

At the prom, Karofsky apologised to Kurt, seemingly regretting everything he had done to make Kurt's life hell. He left the prom, confused about his sexuality, but having had something of a breakthrough with Kurt. Although Karofsky's story isn't wrapped up, he's made progress and his character has changed from where he started. This would be a good place to end his story.

Similar to Karofsky, Santana and Britney have let their fellings for each other be known. Although this too is unresolved, they've taken steps, and Santana has shown she's not only the tough girl, but has a very deep, very emotional side to her. Britney too has acknowledged that she knows she isn't the brightest student, and is deeply hurt by Arty calling her stupid. She also stood up to Arty and didn't go to prom, to be sure that he knew how she felt.

Terry leaving for Florida is another story. Will's divorce and rocky post-divorce relationship with his ex has come to an end. They seem to have reached a place where they can both talk with each other, remember the good times, and accept (more or less) how things ended. Terry has moved from a complaining irrisponsible teenager in an adult body to what seems to be a confident manager of the new branch in Miami. Again, another great place to finish.

Will and Emma's relationship has had it's ups and downs, and they are in a place where they are very close friends, who acknowledge that they both love each other, and are not sure what is going to happen down the road. Emma herself, has begun coping with her OCD and taking mediation which allows her to function more normally. Will is now chasing his dream of appearing on Broadway, even though he thinks the show may come to nothing, it is still his dream coming true. Emma is encouraging him, and they are hoping to see each other next year, but not sure if it will happen.

Most of all, in the last episode, Sue finally made a truce (a peace?) with Will and the New Directions. After the loss of her sister, she was helpless and didn't know what to do or how to feel. Despide everything she had done, the kids pulled together and gave Jean a beautiful funeral. Sue came to the realization that she has not been a good person, and offered an olive branch to Will, wishing him good luck at nationals. This would be the best way to end the conflict between Sue and Will, showing that Sue has come a long way and, despite everything, thinks of Will as a friend deep down inside.

The only thing left is the climax of winning the national competition...

This post is getting rather long, and there are a lot of other plots that have been wrapped up recently. It is almost a shame that they renewed the show for another season, as it seems to be stretching it that the actors will be playing tennagers again. They either need to introduce a lot of new blood, or end the show. I think that, had they ended it with a win at nationals, enough of the ongoing stories would have been wrapped up in a very satisfying way.

Any thoughts on this, or am I just a little crazy?

Edited on 05/19/2011 1:48pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

waterloo1066

[2]May 20, 2011
    • level: 6
    krinks wrote:

After watching the last episode of Glee, I was struck by how much they seem to be wrapping up story lines. If they ended the series at Nationals, I think it would be the perfect way for the series to go out...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS IF YOU ARE NOT UP TO DATE ON ALL THE EPISODES...

At the prom, Karofsky apologised to Kurt, seemingly regretting everything he had done to make Kurt's life hell. He left the prom, confused about his sexuality, but having had something of a breakthrough with Kurt. Although Karofsky's story isn't wrapped up, he's made progress and his character has changed from where he started. This would be a good place to end his story.

Similar to Karofsky, Santana and Britney have let their fellings for each other be known. Although this too is unresolved, they've taken steps, and Santana has shown she's not only the tough girl, but has a very deep, very emotional side to her. Britney too has acknowledged that she knows she isn't the brightest student, and is deeply hurt by Arty calling her stupid. She also stood up to Arty and didn't go to prom, to be sure that he knew how she felt.

Terry leaving for Florida is another story. Will's divorce and rocky post-divorce relationship with his ex has come to an end. They seem to have reached a place where they can both talk with each other, remember the good times, and accept (more or less) how things ended. Terry has moved from a complaining irrisponsible teenager in an adult body to what seems to be a confident manager of the new branch in Miami. Again, another great place to finish.

Will and Emma's relationship has had it's ups and downs, and they are in a place where they are very close friends, who acknowledge that they both love each other, and are not sure what is going to happen down the road. Emma herself, has begun coping with her OCD and taking mediation which allows her to function more normally. Will is now chasing his dream of appearing on Broadway, even though he thinks the show may come to nothing, it is still his dream coming true. Emma is encouraging him, and they are hoping to see each other next year, but not sure if it will happen.

Most of all, in the last episode, Sue finally made a truce (a peace?) with Will and the New Directions. After the loss of her sister, she was helpless and didn't know what to do or how to feel. Despide everything she had done, the kids pulled together and gave Jean a beautiful funeral. Sue came to the realization that she has not been a good person, and offered an olive branch to Will, wishing him good luck at nationals. This would be the best way to end the conflict between Sue and Will, showing that Sue has come a long way and, despite everything, thinks of Will as a friend deep down inside.

The only thing left is the climax of winning the national competition...

This post is getting rather long, and there are a lot of other plots that have been wrapped up recently. It is almost a shame that they renewed the show for another season, as it seems to be stretching it that the actors will be playing tennagers again. They either need to introduce a lot of new blood, or end the show. I think that, had they ended it with a win at nationals, enough of the ongoing stories would have been wrapped up in a very satisfying way.

Any thoughts on this, or am I just a little crazy?

I agree that the the series has just about runn its course. As you say many of the story lines are all but sorted but as the cast are 'getting older too - Landslide'. The New Directions must be the oldest group of 16/17 year olds in any school anywhere. To end the show now would be a good thing, especially if a few more loose end are tied up in the last episode. It would be better to go out on a high than fumble through another season. If you look at the group of 12 they must be the biggest collection of misfits ever. It's hard to keep up with who did what with who, which of they is homosexual, bisexual, heterosexual, etc. - the only thing they have left out is ambidextrous. some of the caracter's development have not been too inspiring. Quinn, now a bigger b**ch than Santana, Sam alomost left for dead, and the rest of the cast just seem to be there to make up the numbers the only exceptions to this are Rachel with her superb voice who really shouldn't be on a show like this as she should be at least on Broadway or a quality singer in her own right doing solo shows on her own and Santana whose role has developed into a b**ch with a heart, giving very real performances and has been shown to have an excellent voice.
    Yes, it's time to end the show as, even with new blood introduce, the chemisrty that makes the show what it is will be lost unless the writers are very clever but I doubt this judging by some of the episodes in season 2. Like your the comment is a little on the long side but ho,hum, what the hell!

alirk

[3]May 20, 2011
    • level: 22

The show has already been renewed for a season 3 & if it keeps bringing in the ratings it has I bet Fox isn't going to let it end anytime soon. It's not easy to get a hit show & I don't see them letting it go until they absolutely have to