Glee Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Distribution of Singing Roles in First Half of Season 4

DocKev

[1]Dec 11, 2012
    • level: 3

With only the Christmas Carol episode left before the end of the first half of Season 4, I thought it would be interesting to see how the singing parts had been distributed among the cast members so far. Taking the information from Wikipedia, the table below shows how many times each cast member has been involved as a lead in a song as part of a solo/duet/trio in the first column, then featured in a group number where there were more than 3 "lead" singers (eg "The Scientist) in the second column, and then finally used as a back-up singer (eg Santana & Brittany in "Come See About Me") as denoted by "with" in the Wikipedia list of Season 4 songs, in column 3. Some songs have "WITH New Directions", indicating all cast members were backup singers in the song. But since not all cast members were in every episode, I haven't bothered to assign a backup point to everyone in those cases, as I can't be bothered to figure who was in that particular number. I've then arbitrarily assigned 5 points for a solo/duet/trio, 3 points for a group of more than 3, and 1 point for a back-up singer, to give a point total in Column 4. So, here are the results:

Rachel 9, 3, 0, 54 pts

Blaine 8, 4, 0, 52 pts

Marley 8, 3, 0, 49 pts

Brittany 4, 3, 4, 33 pts

Sam 5, 1, 1, 29 pts

Finn 2, 5, 1, 26 pts

Jake 4, 1, 1, 24 pts

Tina 3*, 2, 2, 23 pts

Ryder 3, 2, 1, 22 pts

Kurt 3, 2, 0, 21 pts

Wade 3, 1, 2, 20 pts

Santana 2, 2, 2, 18 pts

Kitty 3, 0, 2, 17 pts

Quinn 1, 1, 0, 8 pts

Mercedes 0, 2, 1, 7 pts

Joe 1, 0, 2, 7 pts

Artie 1, 0, 1, 6 pts

Mike 0, 1, 3, 6 pts

Noah 0, 1, 0, 3 pts

Will 0, 1, 0, 3 pts

Sugar 0, 0, 3, 3 pts

I put an (*) next to Tina's solo/duet/trio total because Wikipedia lists "Gangnam Style" as Tina's solo. I would disagree with this as she mostly spoke Korean, and the actual "singing" was distributed among the whole New Directions group. Anyways, the shocking thing to me is the low number of numbers Artie has been in! I was hoping that this season, a lot of attention would be directed towards Artie, Tina, Sam & Brittany, the seniors. Brittany and Sam have done well, but Tina & Artie have been very under utilized. This list also makes me wonder if we're ever going to hear Sugar's voice!

Edited on 12/11/2012 12:17pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

djboy77

[2]Dec 14, 2012
    • level: 7

DocKev wrote:
    This list also makes me wonder if we're ever going to hear Sugar's voice!

We have, and it was horrific.

DocKev

[3]Dec 15, 2012
    • level: 3
    djboy77 wrote:

DocKev wrote:
    This list also makes me wonder if we're ever going to hear Sugar's voice!

We have, and it was horrific.

Yes, but that was at the start of Season 3. Since then, the following has happened with Sugar:
    1) Mr. Shue, although wanting to have Glee club open to all, makes the decision that Sugar sings soooo badly, she will not be allowed to join.
    2) Sugar's dad hires Shelby as Sugar's private voice coach, and somehow has Shelby hired as a teacher at McKinley
    3) Sugar & Shelby help to form the Troubletones. Either Shelby was much more forgiving of Sugar's voice to allow her onto her squad, or Shelby really needed Sugar's father's money OR Sugar's voice had improved.....it was never really made clear.
    4) After losing sectionals, there was an agreement to allow the Troubletones to join New Directions. Again, it is never made clear whether Mr. Schu allows this BECAUSE Sugar can now sing, or whether he just agrees to it to keep the peace & bring back Santana, Brittany & Mercedes.
    So, while I agree that we originally heard that Sugar's voice was horrible, isn't it possible she can now sing? Why keep her in the club & sing in Grease as a backup singer if she still can't sing? (I mean other than because the Glee writers have forgotten to let us know).