Glee Forums

FOX (ended 2015)

Episode Discussion- 1X9 Wheels (Possible Spoilers)

buffyangel4evr_

[1]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 20

Let's discuss the Nov 11 episode here.

From TVGuide- "It's Rachel vs. Kurt in a "diva-off" for the solo in Glee's rendition of "Defying Gravity." Meanwhile, the school can't pay for a wheelchair-accessible bus for Artie for the trip to regionals, so Shue challenges his charges to raise the money; Quinn's medical bills are beginning to pile up, and she challenges Finn to come up with money to pay them; and Sue must hold an open tryout for the Cheerios. Her selection has Shue scratching his head."

Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffyangel4evr_

[2]Nov 12, 2009

I have to say this was the first show this week I was actually excited to see and I did not disappoint.

Kurt is amazing. Obviously the flubbed note was terrible, but it was of course intentional. His rendition of "Defying Gravity" was awe inspiring. And his story is truly touching. If everyone had a dad like his. Hid dad is willing to sacrifice his reputation to support his son. *sniff sniff* And Kurt's sacrifice to protect his dad, I was practically in tears. What a great relationship.

Sue. OMG! Now, it's very rae to have a character who is devoid of all emotion and redeeming qualities. But I kept wondering, what's up Sue's sleeve. I was almost in tears with Kurt and his dad. I was literally bawling my eyes out with Sue and her big sis. And the new Cheerio is absolutely adorable! I did suspect that Sue was treating her like all the otheres to prove that just because she was a special needs girl she needed to be treated like a crystal vase.

Those were the two stories that really touched me. Nice continuation with the Rachel/Finn/Quinn/Puck story as well.

Yay for Artie getting his turn to shine in the spotlight. His two songs were great. Great idea having the Glee kids "walk" a mile in his shoes. If only real schools could do that cause I know that kids now a days take two working legs for granted.

EJamison

[3]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 17
    The inconsistencies on this show drive me crazy. Figgins mentions how much the handi-capable bus costs but they make it sound like the regular bus is free. Will comes up with all those wheelchairs out of nowhere. They'd cost money to rent. We learn that Artie has been carried into the auditorium. If that's been an acceptable solution then they can carry him onto the bus.

Ayn_Ilial

[4]Nov 12, 2009
    I love love love Kurt and his dad. I think their relationship is perhaps the most heartwarming gay storyline I've ever seen. So nice to see a relationship that is so supportive and real.

chuckdreyfuski

[5]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 25
    So true. I totally agree. I kinda knew Kurt blew the note intentionally. It's swell to see Sue's sweet and soft side. (say 10 times in 10 seconds )

Ayn_Ilial wrote:
    I love love love Kurt and his dad. I think their relationship is perhaps the most heartwarming gay storyline I've ever seen. So nice to see a relationship that is so supportive and real.

rba06

[6]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 9

EJamison wrote:
    The inconsistencies on this show drive me crazy. Figgins mentions how much the handi-capable bus costs but they make it sound like the regular bus is free. Will comes up with all those wheelchairs out of nowhere. They'd cost money to rent. We learn that Artie has been carried into the auditorium. If that's been an acceptable solution then they can carry him onto the bus.

The inconsistencies you point out are not really inconsistent As a person with a disability I have been in arties position A bus with a lift cost alot more than a regular bus. Will didnt say he rented the chair he said that a nursing home loaned them to them. We actually learned throwdown that they carry him because when they all walk out you can see that finn puck and the other guys carry him up the stairs. As for carrying him onto the bus if they carry him on the bus where would they put the chair in a bus with a lift the chair is tiedown to the floor of the bus in a regular bus they cant do that so someone could get hurt and the chair could be damaged so that wouldnt be a good solution as you put it.

marknmo

[7]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 12
    I liked this episode a lot. I thought the part in "Dancing With Myself" where they put the scene into slow-mo was awesome considering that Artie was able to stay on good tempo when they filmed it at a faster pace. Really well done.

My one big gripe about the episode was Artie's reaction to Tina telling him the truth about her lisp. Sure, I get that he felt it added to their connection, but (and I don't mean to be insensitive here) I don't think a lisp is anywhere near as detrimental as being paralyzed is. I think being a little angry over the deception was understandable, but to completely walk away from her and toss out the stronger, more complicated connection they were building together was a little over the top, IMO.

EJamison

[8]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 17

rba06 wrote:
    The inconsistencies you point out are not really inconsistent As a person with a disability I have been in arties position A bus with a lift cost alot more than a regular bus. Will didnt say he rented the chair he said that a nursing home loaned them to them. We actually learned throwdown that they carry him because when they all walk out you can see that finn puck and the other guys carry him up the stairs. As for carrying him onto the bus if they carry him on the bus where would they put the chair in a bus with a lift the chair is tiedown to the floor of the bus in a regular bus they cant do that so someone could get hurt and the chair could be damaged so that wouldnt be a good solution as you put it.
    I missed the part where Will said he got the chairs from a nursing home, although obtaining that many spare chairs is unrealistic. Maybe one for one or two days. I'm sure there would be some way to tie down the chair with rope. Or maybe dad could transport the chair, but Artie would still be able to join the team on the bus.

I wonder if *real* schools have had to tackle this problem and, if so, I wonder how many ways they found to get around the problems.

buffyangel4evr_

[9]Nov 12, 2009

^^You have to remember, that at it's core, Glee is a satire. The writers are taking stereotypes and real issues and amplifying them for entertainment value. One of the biggest issues these days is over public schools and their budgets. Now obviously, the principal of a school is not going to take out a caculator and nitpick every penny. And there is no way that he/she would make a teacher pay $60/month (or work off 60/month by volunteering to do school work for free) just to keep the Glee club going. And the cheerleading squad and it's coach getting the majorityy of the schools funds is ludicous, but it makes for interesting Tv. And where would we be without our weekly dose of Sue Sylvester.

Glee is pure entertainment and is not meant to change the world. So, whether or not there are inconsistancies, I can look past them and be be entertained every week.

JordanFolsom

[10]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 4
    EJamison wrote:

I missed the part where Will said he got the chairs from a nursing home, although obtaining that many spare chairs is unrealistic. Maybe one for one or two days. I'm sure there would be some way to tie down the chair with rope. Or maybe dad could transport the chair, but Artie would still be able to join the team on the bus.

I wonder if *real* schools have had to tackle this problem and, if so, I wonder how many ways they found to get around the problems.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the thing about the handicap bus and not having to rent one. I go to a "real" school. My entire high school is made up of about 500 students so it's relatively small. Even we have a handicapped bus. I think if someone in a wheelchair goes to the school they have to provide an appropriate form of transportation. Even if he didn't ride the bus to school everyday the school would still have to have a bus to take him on field trips or whatever. I know I may get crap for this but I know that public schools (at least the ones around this area) get extra funding for mentally disabled or handicapped students which theoretically should be used to pay for things like handicapped buses.

I don't know if there are schools out there that don't have handicapped buses for handicapped students but all I know is what my school and other schools around me have. If you disagree with me feel free to tell me cuz I'm sure not all schools are like mine.

taillow22

[11]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 11

I loved this episode because of Sue! And her sister! I really hope the new Cheerio is in the show again, she's adorable and giving a good effort to be involved in her school.

Did anyone else find Britney hilarious in this episode? She lost her freakin' wheelchair xD I can't remember anything else at the moment, but I remember laughing more than once at something she said. Her actress is SO good!!

Defying Gravity and Proud Mary are two of my favorite songs from the show, those were fantastic

sherv22

[12]Nov 13, 2009
    • level: 14
    I also found Britney to be adorably airheaded. That part where everyone raised their right hand for a promise and then Britney forgetting to put down her hand cracked me up. Dumb blonde indeed. Actually, the three Cheerios (well, one former one) sorta remind me of the Plastics from Mean Girls -- back when Lindsey Lohan was sane -- where Quinn is Regina, Santana is Gretchen (not the best fit), and Britney is Karen.
    Edited on 11/13/2009 9:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.

babylon_five

[13]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 3
    I really enjoyed this episode especially the relationships between Kurt and his dad as well as Sue and her older sister. It might explain one of the previous episode when she segregated the Glee club when she was co-chair of the Glee Club. Looking forward to next week's episode.

tjaman

[14]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 32
    EJ: I think when he rolled in the chairs Will said there was a tag sale at the local nursing home. And I can imagine where after a year or so there might be a few extra wheelchairs to be found in a nursing home, because people do die occasionally. Oh, that and it's a farce on FOX.

I loved "Wheels," and wow have I missed this show.

AmaXDear

[15]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 10

Wheels is, without a doubt, my favorite episode of Glee so far. Kurt has sometimes annoyed me with his campiness, but who the hell cares??? He was sweet and perfectly written in this episode--I loved the "I love you more than I love being a star" scene. It was great seeing the interraction between a student and parent, which we rarely get. My favorite scene of the episode was the quick cuts between Kurt reaching the F and the phone call--great facial expressions for both characters. With one obvious exception, the song was perfect too. This was a very unique rendition of Defying Gravity, sweet and self-assured as opposed to a power ballad, but it totally worked.

The rest of the episode was so-so for me. I liked Artie's solo, but Finn is still a little oafish, and the two developing relationships annoyed me. I think Tina and Archie would be better off as friends; it's nice to see a straight guy and a straight girl have a non-sexual-tension-filled friendship for once. As for Quinn and Puck... personality-wise, they're both on the edge of becoming antagonists, except for the baby, and putting them together doesn't seem right. Obviously the writers could make it work, but it feels a little forced to me.

I don't even know what to say about the development in Sue's character. I think it's more than we ever could have hoped for, and I'm glad it happened. The scene between her and her sister tied with Kurt's coming out for the most emotionally well-developed scenes in this season, in my opinon.

charlie_chan

[16]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 7

I have got to say that I knew this episode was going to be an instant favorite and success from the second I even heard what the title was going to be.
    Artie has been my number1 favorite character since the Pilot and I have never been so anxious to see an episode (stupid baseball! made me go CRAZY in anticipation, lol)

This episode was a great milestone for the series and as Ryan Murphey said "a gamechanger". They had the perfect mix of comedy, satire, sadness, seriousness, music (daydreams and actual performances) and I think they just hit everything PERFECTLY!

I don't want to repeat everything everyone else has been saying, so some of the more memorable little things in this episode for me were definetly:

-Kurt's reaction to Mr. Shue just tossing him aside to give Rachel the solo of a loved song.
    -all the Kurt and Burt (his dad) scenes at the car shop were so sweet. you can tell his father tries real hard to have a healthy connection with his more than different son.
    -Mr. Shue tying Artie's shoelace! omg was that not just precious?!
    -"Dancing with Myself" was an amazing number! really showed a different side to Artie's character. plus the awesome wheelchair moves (even if they were done by a stuntdouble) were awesome.
    -Mr. Shue forcing the kids to ride in wheelchairs and do a bakesale in support of Artie was fantastic. great teaching moment! and he sure did learn his lesson again when he gave Kurt a chance at the Wicked solo later on. he's a great teacher but does need help seeing things clearly but he does make the right descions in the end about them.
    -Cheerios tryouts. Wasn't Mercedes and Kurt's tryouts too adorable!? and Sue giving Becky a chance. really showed a different side to the hard shell that is Sue Sylvester.
    -Finn and Rachel's experience the wheelchair life. SO hilarious! poor Lea Michelle- that girl never gets a break with crap getting tossed in her pretty face, lol! I only wish they would have shown more of everyone else's reactions too..
    -I'm not too big into the hormonal Quinn and Puck/Finn scenes but the food fight was pretty cute and the wheelchair fight was awesome. Puck really shows his bad boy side when he pounces out of the chair onto Finn, haha.
    -Anyone else notice how NASTY those Puck-made cupcakes were made?! lol did he put frosting/crisco, cake mix and half an egg shell into the bowl PLUS some chronic lady? lol
    -Santana's munchies for the pot-cakes and Brittanies numerous dialouges (recipes are confusing, doesn't know her right or left hand apart, buddies with Becky and buys her a cupcake, spinny around with her arms in the air on the wheelchair, etc) I don't crave fully fleshed stories for the background Gleeks but it is nice to see them get their little moments here and there, hehe.
    -the 'Defying Gravity' Diva-Off was AMAZING. huge Wicked fan, huge Kurt fan. loveloveloved it! that expression on Kurt's face right before he cracked the high F made me tear up SO bad. especially followed by that little shoulder shrug afterwards. and not to forget Rachel's part. I think she understood how important that song was for Kurt from her little reactions here and there which was good for her character.
    -Principal Figgins and Will's reaction to Sue's sudden charitable donation cracks me up SO much. and then Sue and her big sister. how much was everyone "awwwwwww"ing at that? when she held her hand and smiled, you could tell there was love.
    -the AMAZINGLY AWESOME full wheelchair number! I am an oldies fan like no other and they always rock those songs SO hard. 'Proud Mary' and the handicapable community was given so much respect in that number. you could really tell how hard all those kids worked to make it an amazing number for us. The energy alone gets me up and dancing with them.

as for the whole Artie and Tina situation... I am gonna have to make a whole nother post for that alone since there's SO much to say about it.

Edited on 11/16/2009 7:59am

charlie_chan

[17]Nov 16, 2009

TARTIE (TinaxArtie)

now I have been shipping this couple from the very first time I saw those two together in the Pilot. they are too adorable with each other as buddies and subsequently as hopeful lovers in the future.
    I was both pleased and dissapointed with the way their relationship was run through in this episode (though don't get me wrong, I was giggling like a school girl everytime they had their scenes together).

all those little moments they shared:
    -Artie trying to retie his shoe and Tina is secretly glancing over at him
    -Artie's excited smile turned into a frown when Mr. Shue broke the news about the handicapable bus and Tina's look of sadness towards him.
    -followed by his reaction when everyone was just pushing aside the idea of holding a bakesale to raise funds and just saying he can ride with his dad while the all ride together on the regular bus. you could tell his was holding back the pain those words stung him but he brushed it off in the end (though you could tell it really hurt him).
    -once again.. Will tying his shoelace and Artie putting on a strong face to the other kids reactions before he goes and rocks his solo. *teartear*
    -Artie finally admitting his feelings were hurt and in turn totally dissing Rachel with "well, you're irritating most of the time, but don't take that personally".
    -Artie, the wheelchair guru while he tries and teaches his fellow Gleeks how to do simple "dance" tricks.
    -Tina telling him she admires his hard work and asking about his past which in turn finally gives us an answer to why he's in the chair (horrible car crash 8 years ago with his mom).
    -followed by THE best line ever spoken from his precious lips, "but, I wanna be really clear. I still have the use of my penis OMG! Tina's look as she wheeled away and Artie's 'I did NOT just say that, did I!?' hahaha! love him!
    -Artie laying aside his pride and giving up the money so that him and other wheelchaired students can have more ramps at school. major kudos for him!
    -The DATE! wheelchair race down the hall, the adorable smooch of a kiss she gives him and his cute embaressed reaction. I was puddy!
    -until Tina decides to reveal her biggest secret to the boy she likes. Her fake stutter I was dissapointed that it was fake but also, it WAS an unexpected surprise and good revelation from the writers. it's just sad that she thinks she's coming clean and getting closer to the boy she likes and Artie reacts badly to the news.
    -Artie getting upset and wheeling away from her was SUCH a sad scene for me. my heart broke especially when he told her "I'm sorry too. now that you get to be normal and I'm going to be stuck in this wheelchair the rest of my life and that's not something I can fake".

(viva la TARTIE!)

okay, RANT TIME. I have read everywhere online of people's reactions to how Artie reacted to Tina's secret and they all say he was too mean or that's an unnatural reaction. but to me, it was perfect.
    You gotta think about it. Artie has spent half his life with a physical disability and has obviously worked hard to overcome many challenges. He finally falls for a girl that, like him, "suffered" from a disability too and to whom he could confide the hardships they shared from being different from everyone else. He found a connection between them and that probably was the main foundation to their early relationship (though I'm hoping it was more than that eventually. they always looked like the best of friends either way). But having said crush suddenly tell him that he's alone and she was lying to him must have broken his heart.
    He reacted like any other 16 year old boy would- with his emotions. he isn't some mature adult who can rationally think, "oh here is this girl I like who suffers from such extreme shyness that she has to fake a disability to keep people at a distance to help her cope with the world and she's confiding in only me her secret".
    I'm sure to him it felt like she was suddenly a million miles away and he was back to being alone. He obviously harbors hurt feelings and some resentment for the fact that he won't ever have the chance to be a normal able bodied person and will struggle the rest of his life. He's young and hurt. I'm sure he will eventually get some sense knocked into him and forgive her someday. I'm sure it will be awhile before we see any Tartie-ness but I'm sure they will continue being friends. it will just take a bit to rebuild up that relationship. /end rant.

also.. anyone else notice how Artie's wheelchair tends to like.. change throughout the episode? one has the arm rest and regular handles on the back and the other doesn't have armrests and the handles on the back can be bent in? sorry.. nitpicking, haha.

Edited on 11/16/2009 8:09am

babylon_five

[18]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 3

charlie_chan:

It is understandable that Artie would react that way; and feel hurt that Tina lied to him about her stuttering. But if he were to look at more in depth, Tina does have self-esteem issues; and hopefully he will be able to see they both have something in common in terms of trying to fit in.

Dexter111

[19]Nov 17, 2009

If this show was any more "PC" it'd come out of my a$$.

I liked the first (few) episodes BECAUSE of the overly drawn stereotypes like the bacteriafreak teacher, the gay guy trying to save his jacket before he's being dumped into the trash, the "sturdy" black girl with a "lot" of personality, the stereotype jocks and cheerleaders, the whife of the main character trying to cheat her husband into staying with her by faking a pregnancy and the overly aspiring girl trying to get the lead role and how they have to interact with their environment (in a funny way).

A few episodes later everyone seems to be accepted and friends, the evil gymnastics teacher is actually a misunderstood do-gooder and they bring in mentally retarded people (being friends with cheerleaders and then becoming them) for dramatic effect and "Ooohhh"-moments, not to mention that everyone accepts the gay guy for who he is, his father is the most understanding parent in the world and the school gets new ramps for handicapped people...

wtf

Oh yeah, and the only person they're still allowed to make fun of is the "stupid blonde girl" cause that seems to be alright and wouldn't upset or show any minorities in a bad light. No matter that she could actually be a tragic product of her social environment, for which dressing up pretty and looking good is the only prerequisite or her parents might just have been poor and weren't able to give her a good education xD

Edited on 11/17/2009 2:26am

taillow22

[20]Nov 18, 2009
    • level: 11
    [QUOTE="Dexter111"]

A few episodes later everyone seems to be accepted and friends, the evil gymnastics teacher is actually a misunderstood do-gooder and they bring in mentally retarded people (being friends with cheerleaders and then becoming them) for dramatic effect and "Ooohhh"-moments, not to mention that everyone accepts the gay guy for who he is, his father is the most understanding parent in the world and the school gets new ramps for handicapped people...

You're really wrong, buddy.

1. Everyone is accepted and friends? If you're talking about the Glee club, well no duh. If you're talking about the entire school, then you must have missed Mash-up and Wheels, or was I imagining the slushie scenes, and no one buying their cupcakes because they were "losers"?

2. Sue is a misunderstood do-gooder? Just because she had dating troubles, has a mentally retarded sister, and accepted someone with special needs into the Cheerios doesn't make her a do-gooder. Yes, she donated to the wheel chair ramps, but that was kinda the theme of that episode. What did you expect, she has a special needs sister and she hates kids in wheelchairs?

3. So people calling his dad and calling his son a **** is accepting him, I guess? And it's not like his own dad is going to not accept him...