Glee Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Episode Discussion: Glee 1X10- Ballads

buffyangel4evr_

[1]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 20

Let's discuss the Nov 18 episode here.

Episode 1X10- Ballads. From TVGuide- "Mr. Schuester divides the glee club into couples for a ballad, but it turns out to be not so good an idea when one kid gets sick. Meanwhile, Finn has dinner with Quinn's parents (Gregg Henry and Charlotte Ross). This turns out to be a bad idea as well."

Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TeaCake911

[2]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 6
    Great ep, but I found Quinn's acting during the scene with her Glenn Beck-loving father to be horrible.

Also didn't like how Mercedes doesn't think it's a problem that Quinn is lying to Finn about the baby, but the song selection more than made up for plot/acting gripes!!

sizz_leteen

[3]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 16
    It was good to see more humour, this week. Prior to the last chunk of the episode, here in Canada on Global, there was a commercial for Sick Kids Hospital. It featured "Lean On Me". Right then, I knew that the glee club would perform "Lean On Me" for Quinn and Finn.

imthemediagirl

[4]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 12
    i actually thought the scene with quinn and her dad was great, in a horrifying sort of way. i almost cried for the third time during this show, and i havent cried in 4 years!

taillow22

[5]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 11

Another amazing episode, but is anyone really surprised by now?

Will, Rachel, and Suzy: I found this plot to be hilarious, especially Suzy Pepper eating the world's hottest pepper. Begging she'll return? And I also hope this is the start of a much better teacher/student relationship for Rachel and Will, because it wasn't really working out that well before

Finn and the Fabrays: As someone said, I found the scene with Quinn and her dad amazing. I also found the mom's role really interesting for some reason. Also, Finn's mom is adorable. I seriously wonder how this plot line is going to work out: Finn cares so much for Quinn, but I heard SPOILER!! he breaks up with her soon.

Speaking of confusing stories...

Kurt and Finn: There wasn't one thing I didn't adore about this plot. I'm so glad Kurt is getting a main role almost every episode. BUT, I'm really confused as to where this is leading, too. Kurt told Finn he loved him. This has to be important, because it was such a big moment in the show. But... where could this possibly be leading?! It's not like Finn is going to be gay or bisexual all the sudden... that would be really weird and uncomfortable to watch.

Another solid episode, loved Kurt once more.

PS: A note to tv.com, but can you PLEASE fix the message box?! Every time I type a long review, only half of it is published, and it's really aggravating to type the second half of my review twice. Thanks in advance.

Edited on 11/19/2009 6:39pm

MovieMark

[6]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 30

TeaCake911 wrote:
    Great ep, but I found Quinn's acting during the scene with her Glenn Beck-loving father to be horrible. Also didn't like how Mercedes doesn't think it's a problem that Quinn is lying to Finn about the baby,

Agreed

Edited on 11/19/2009 7:22pm

rba06

[7]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 9
    The look on wills face when he sees emma dancing the the chair is priceless

HugzxNxKissesxo

[8]Nov 20, 2009
    • level: 16
    i like how Mercedes and Puck had that heart to heart conversation like they've been the best of friends for years ugh that so lame

alirk

[9]Nov 20, 2009
    • level: 22
    Another great eppy. Can't wait until next week...I thought the sneak peek looked amazing. Especially the part where Rachael is dressed like Olivia Newton John in 'Grease.' I'm sure it'll be great...as usual!

lintball13

[10]Nov 21, 2009
    • level: 10
    This was a pretty good episode, but the songs werent that great. i did like the whole glee club singing "Lean on me" at the end though.

Midge_1215

[11]Nov 22, 2009
    • level: 1
    Personally, I thought the entire episode was horribly awkward. I was texting my friend about it the whole time. We were squirming whenever there was any interaction between Rachel and Will (SOO WEIRD....), and the whole dinner scene was really awkward. Usually nothing bothers me, but I was cringing and had a hard time watching the episode. And the songs weren't as great (although I loved the version of Defying Gravity). Plus...I want Puck to sing more.

ZackxAddy_Bones

[12]Nov 23, 2009
    • level: 5

Am I the only one who thought the conversation between Kurt and Finn, while Kurt was helping him pick out something to wear to Quinn's parents house, was adorable? I thought it was really sweet how Kurt was talking to him about how his mom died and he still like to go in the room and pretend she's there by closing his eyes and smelling the wardrobe she used because it doesn't seem like he talks about it much. And the look on Finn's face while he was talking was really cute! He looked so sad and so sorry for Kurt and he also looked kind of shocked because I don't think anyone knew his mom died. I also love how he told him that it's not stupid of him just to want to smell his mom cause he misses her. I loved it! I was tearing up during that because I thought it was so sweet! I also loved Tina at the beginning when she picked the name out of the hat and said "Other Asian" I started laughing

EVOLV3

[13]Nov 23, 2009
    • level: 6
    A quick Google search by Finn would tell him that the chance of sperm surviving water and getting a girl pregnant is almost none... I mean, how does he in his right mind believe he is the father if he never had sex with Quinn?

ana_jovanovic

[14]Nov 24, 2009
    EVOLV3 wrote:
    A quick Google search by Finn would tell him that the chance of sperm surviving water and getting a girl pregnant is almost none... I mean, how does he in his right mind believe he is the father if he never had sex with Quinn?

Well, we had immaculate, i.e. without having sex, conception on a medical show (Scrubs) so why would we expect a guy like Finn, who is a member of celibacy club, who doesn't know that women do not have prostate, and who is an all-around gullible guy, doubt a word of his pure, virginal, perfect girlfriend? He just took her word for it, and that whole thing, him believing her, was another point the show made about the necessity of teaching contraception and perhaps basic things about sex in high school, and not just preach celibacy.
    Also, a quick Google search can show you what you're looking for. I'm sure he would be able to find someone claiming that such pregnancy is possible...

taillow22

[15]Nov 24, 2009
    ana_jovanovic wrote:
    EVOLV3 wrote:

Well, we had immaculate, i.e. without having sex, conception on a medical show (Scrubs) so why would we expect a guy like Finn, who is a member of celibacy club, who doesn't know that women do not have prostate, and who is an all-around gullible guy, doubt a word of his pure, virginal, perfect girlfriend? He just took her word for it, and that whole thing, him believing her, was another point the show made about the necessity of teaching contraception and perhaps basic things about sex in high school, and not just preach celibacy.
    Also, a quick Google search can show you what you're looking for. I'm sure he would be able to find someone claiming that such pregnancy is possible...

At Quinn's house after it came out that she is pregnant, Finn said "but we never even had se - ex..." kind of like that. It's like halfway through the word, he realized how ridiculous it sounded; Quinn is pregnant, says he's the father, but they never had sex. I think he finally realized how stupid he was.

ana_jovanovic

[16]Nov 25, 2009
    taillow22 wrote:
    ana_jovanovic wrote:
    EVOLV3 wrote:

At Quinn's house after it came out that she is pregnant, Finn said "but we never even had se - ex..." kind of like that. It's like halfway through the word, he realized how ridiculous it sounded; Quinn is pregnant, says he's the father, but they never had sex. I think he finally realized how stupid he was.

He said it in an attempt to defend himself from the wrath of her father I don't think he pieced the two together... yet... but he will...

taillow22

[17]Nov 25, 2009
    ana_jovanovic wrote:
    taillow22 wrote:
    ana_jovanovic wrote:
    EVOLV3 wrote:

He said it in an attempt to defend himself from the wrath of her father I don't think he pieced the two together... yet... but he will...

Yeah, it was in defense, but he said the word "sex" just really weird. At first I thought it was because he was uncomfortable with saying it, but after a while it suddenly went off in my head that he finally put 2 and 2 together.

imthemediagirl

[18]Nov 28, 2009
    HugzxNxKissesxo wrote:
    i like how Mercedes and Puck had that heart to heart conversation like they've been the best of friends for years ugh that so lame

i didn't think they sounded like best friends there, mercedes kind of went off on puck! since theyre teammates they can share things, but mercedes was in no way friendly or supportive about it.

lintball13

[19]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 10
    one thing i just didnt get was when quinn's dad was saying that like,"i brought my two daughters to an indians game...you fell asleep...didn't want the crowd to wake you up..." what was that all about??