Glee Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

"Extraordinary Merry Christmas"

  • Avatar of alirk

    alirk

    [1]Dec 13, 2011
    • member since: 10/15/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,530

    What did you all think? I thought it was just ok. I liked a few of the songs & there were some sweet moments, but overall it was just ok. Actually I was kinda bored for alot of the episode & I fast forwarded through parts of some of the performances...

    Edited on 12/13/2011 6:46pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fachizzzzle

    fachizzzzle

    [2]Dec 13, 2011
    • member since: 09/28/09
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 32
    All I know is that NeNe from the Real Housewives of Atlanta is going to be on the next episode, and that's the best Christmas gift of all.

    That said, this episode kind of existed in a reality of its own, without advancing the plot (as most Christmas specials do). Now that all of the major story arcs have closed (except for the Road to Regionals, then Nationals, I wonder what story arcs they're going to begin in January?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fachizzzzle

    fachizzzzle

    [3]Dec 13, 2011
    • member since: 09/28/09
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 32
    Oh yeah! Re: the episode, I agree that some parts were "meh," but that Christmas special was PHENOMENAL. I was DYING the entire time lol. That was the super creative Glee that I love. Basically, whenever the screen was black and white I was in heaven.

    Also, I live on the West Coast, so Twitter kind of spoiled Finn's gift at the end, but when he said, "I named the star Finn Hudson, because there's already a star named Rachel Berry," ...yeahhh, that totally would've worked on me lol
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of waterloo1066

    waterloo1066

    [4]Dec 14, 2011
    • member since: 04/15/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 199

    I have not watched the show yet but don't think I will bother as Santa Baby was cut but River was included and I didn't like that at all. Each to their own I suppose.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of irehawk20

    irehawk20

    [5]Dec 14, 2011
    • member since: 09/29/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 440

    The episode was rated PG-L for the first time in this show's history.


    Mercedes started the lead singing in the beginning of this episode.


    Rory sang that Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas" song and he made friends with Sam.


    I'm not sure about that pig present situation between Finchel. Rachel named it "Barbra" right after her idol.


    Rachel did a partial solo on the "River" song and she looks 100% attractive in that green dress. But whenever she finishes in encore, she should pinch BOTH sides of her green skirt.


    The black and white show seems liked mixed up.


    Emma had no credited dialogue in this show.


    The last song of this show was kinda spectacular in that homeless shelter.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of nycitynygirl

    nycitynygirl

    [6]Dec 14, 2011
    • member since: 10/06/11
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 26
    This episode was just okay. The music was really good but it focused way too much on it and not on an actual plot. It was song after song after song!! I am really looking forward to the next episode, it stinks that we have to wait 4 very long weeks though!! Btw if anyone is wondering about the klaine gift scene, it was sadly cut out because the episode would have been too long. It will be included on the DVD. Spoiler blaine gives Kurt a home-made promise ring, how adorable
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MrCellophane1

    MrCellophane1

    [7]Dec 14, 2011
    • member since: 01/02/11
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 58

    This episode was just..... way too preachy and not that funny in the first place. The first bad episode of the series IMO. I'm giving it a C-

    Edited on 12/14/2011 11:25am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RenatoB

    RenatoB

    [8]Dec 15, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 4,760
    I don't get the bad reviews... ok, granted, some of the musical performances were pretty boring. I really, really didn't like "Blue Christmas" and "River". I'd never heard those songs before, and they're depressing and slow, and didn't cut it for me. I have to agree with Artie, it's lame to do a Chrismas special that isn't all cheery and fun. I really don't get what Sam's outburst was all about. Mostly because he's stupid, I guess?

    The Christmas special was awesome. The old-fashioned jokes were way too lame, but I know that's kind of what they were going for. I liked the black-and-white images, the use of a laugh track, the musical performances (mostly "Let It Snow"), and the ending delivered. I'm glad they managed to get to both the events. This episode was arguably better than last year's Christmas special. It was a very lovely episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RenatoB

    RenatoB

    [9]Dec 15, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 4,760
    That being said, I don't care for Rory. I find it hard to understand what he's saying (and it's not funny - it's never funny, I don't understand why people think that's ever funny), the character is boring and totally wasted, and I actually don't look forward to seeing him throughout the season. Damian McGinty is talented, but the thing is: I don't wanna see another character wasted and relegated to the background, and I also don't wanna see him stepping into the spotlight because, honesly, what I've seen so far didn't amuse me. I'd rather one of the often ignored regulars gets a story.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of waterloo1066

    waterloo1066

    [10]Dec 15, 2011
    • member since: 04/15/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 199

    RenatoB wrote:
    That being said, I don't care for Rory. I find it hard to understand what he's saying (and it's not funny - it's never funny, I don't understand why people think that's ever funny), the character is boring and totally wasted, and I actually don't look forward to seeing him throughout the season. Damian McGinty is talented, but the thing is: I don't wanna see another character wasted and relegated to the background, and I also don't wanna see him stepping into the spotlight because, honesly, what I've seen so far didn't amuse me. I'd rather one of the often ignored regulars gets a story.
    I definitely agree about Rory's part in the proceedings. Considering he was one of the 'winners' he hasn't been used to good effect since Pot'O Gold (and that performance was questionable) he might just as well have stopped at home. Harmony has IMO had a much better time of things and certainly made an impact in her appearances. At least Rory sang on his own (Blue Christmas) but as I don't know the song I'm not sure if it was good or bad but I didn't like it. I did get round to watching despite my earlier post but wasn't over impressed but you are right it was better than last years effort.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pamhalpert

    pamhalpert

    [11]Dec 16, 2011
    • member since: 05/15/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,927
    irehawk20 wrote:

    The episode was rated PG-L for the first time in this show's history.


    Mercedes started the lead singing in the beginning of this episode.


    Rory sang that Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas" song and he made friends with Sam.


    I'm not sure about that pig present situation between Finchel. Rachel named it "Barbra" right after her idol.


    Rachel did a partial solo on the "River" song and she looks 100% attractive in that green dress. But whenever she finishes in encore, she should pinch BOTH sides of her green skirt.


    The black and white show seems liked mixed up.


    Emma had no credited dialogue in this show.


    The last song of this show was kinda spectacular in that homeless shelter.



    This episode should have been rated "H" for Horrible!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alirk

    alirk

    [12]Dec 16, 2011
    • member since: 10/15/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,530

    pamhalpert wrote:
    irehawk20 wrote:


    The episode was rated PG-L for the first time in this show's history.


    Mercedes started the lead singing in the beginning of this episode.


    Rory sang that Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas" song and he made friends with Sam.


    I'm not sure about that pig present situation between Finchel. Rachel named it "Barbra" right after her idol.


    Rachel did a partial solo on the "River" song and she looks 100% attractive in that green dress. But whenever she finishes in encore, she should pinch BOTH sides of her green skirt.


    The black and white show seems liked mixed up.


    Emma had no credited dialogue in this show.


    The last song of this show was kinda spectacular in that homeless shelter.



    This episode should have been rated "H" for Horrible!!!


    lol...it really wasn't very good!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of urion_nix

    urion_nix

    [13]Dec 17, 2011
    • member since: 09/28/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 346

    Does anyone know what happend to Sugar? I was kinda excited her character would stay on the show with New Directions but in this episode she just dissapeared. Anyone know if she will be appearing in the next episodes?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KaiRea

    KaiRea

    [14]Dec 23, 2011
    • member since: 06/19/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 98
    It was pretty horrible.

    It started okay, but the much-lauded Chewbacca appearance was literally less than a second. The christmas special section was cringeworthy and awful - I wanted to turn it off and was about to when the camera cut away. That was just painful to watch. Then the final number.... Really? 'Do They Know It's Christmas' sung to a bunch of homeless kids?? How much more bad taste can you get? That was just shocking. You just don't DO something like that. Honestly 'Feed the World' to a load of starving hungry children is just in terrible taste. Whoever's idea that was deserves something painful to befall them, let alone being fired.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of katywishing100

    katywishing100

    [15]Dec 26, 2011
    • member since: 02/03/09
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,031

    I thought this Christmas episode was so cute! The black & white scenes weren't my favorite but I loved when Kurt & Blaine were singing. I thought the song at the end was beautiful no matter what anyone says.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvaddict_14

    tvaddict_14

    [16]Dec 26, 2011
    • member since: 06/01/11
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 34
    I was bored during most of this episode. It was not that interesting at all. The songs were not amazing and the Christmas special nearly put me to sleep. I still love the show though obviously.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sibowittz

    sibowittz

    [17]Jan 4, 2012
    • member since: 03/05/08
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,217
    Horrid.

    If there ever was a worst Glee episode ever...this was it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of djboy77

    djboy77

    [18]Jan 6, 2012
    • member since: 06/26/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 287

    They're all way too happy singing that Mariah song.


    Sue trying to play the moral high-ground is messed up.


    I guess we have Oprah to thank for making "Favorite Things" into a Christmas song.

    Edited on 01/06/2012 8:55am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.