Glee Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

getting a little hard to swallow.

MadameTamma

[1]Nov 3, 2011
    • level: 7

Okay so I'm still a glee fan but lately the dilemmas are getting ridiculous. Last season Sue married herself and I thought okay well it can't get anymore silly and obnoxious than that. But now she's winning a government election with the promise to stop funding school art programs? It would be kind of funny if it weren't for the fact that people are buying it. Everyone knows the benefits of art in school! There is no way that large enough amount of people would support this.

the best thing about Sue is that she's nuts and everyone knows it. There is nothing more priceless than the stunned look on a person's face wondering if she was joking or serious after Sue gives them a lashing. Even most the people that follow her only do it because the perks that come with just going along with what she says outweighs putting up with her. The fact that so many people are falling for what she has to say when her aguments are just nuts is stupid.

The only way I can see this turning out good is if she looses the election by a landslide and finds out that people were once again only indulging her because they don't want to put up with her and that everyone secretly thinks she's a joke.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

waterloo1066

[2]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 6

The best storyline for Sue would be for her to go away quietly and disappear from the planet. Whilst most of the storylines stretch reality, Sue's are definitely beyond belief except for the one when her sister died, she was really believable in that episode.

RenatoB

[3]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 43
    I don't think you guys get the purpose of Sue. She's a cartoonish villain, like Captain Hook. Her stories aren't necessarily meant to be taken seriously. But it would indeed be kinda cool if it turned out people were just indulging her to keep from putting up with her.

buildam2005

[4]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 14
    RenatoB wrote:
    I don't think you guys get the purpose of Sue. She's a cartoonish villain, like Captain Hook. Her stories aren't necessarily meant to be taken seriously. But it would indeed be kinda cool if it turned out people were just indulging her to keep from putting up with her.

The only problem is that the show takes them seriously. Sue is the source of conflict on the show, and we're expected as an audience to garner some real emotional investment in the toilings of the glee club and the others who are Sue's victims. But Sue's actions are SO unrealistic and hard to believe/take as plausible that said tension is just cringe-worthy rather than anything of real interest.

nycitynygirl

[5]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 3
    I understand the point of having a character like sue but sometimes her storylines are just annoying and seem to take time away from the important ones. I loved the sue from season 1 but lately she is just not as funny!! Hopefully the writers can figure out what to do to make her funny again!

RenatoB

[6]Nov 6, 2011
    • level: 43
    I think you guys are probably just tired of her, because, honestly, I think she's always been pretty much the same. She's had crazier antics in season 2 than she did in season 1, but she was always still basically the same character. So maybe you guys are just bored with her. I don't think she has stopped being funny, you just don't find her funny anymore. I hope you understand what I mean. Why does everyone have a problem with her getting married to herself? Everyone deems that story so over-the-top and ridiculous, and yes, it was, but it was totally Sue-like! People said the writers were running out of ideas by then, I thought it was a refreshing move. They said they were jumping the shark with that moment. The use of that expression in regard to that one-episode storyline that was actually kind of forgettable is, by itself, ridiculous to me.

hal90042000

[7]Nov 8, 2011
    • level: 5
    I think that Sue is great she is so mean that she has replaced Amanda Woodward as the Queen.

jenny_d_b

[8]Nov 10, 2011
    • level: 8
    I love to hate Sue.

As for her election - I don't think it sounds that little plausible at all. Who are the people the down-to-earth, working class people hate? Yep. The dreamy arts people. Especially because, some places, the art people are either extremely arrogant or extremely talented, and they feel that "I work my ass off every day, and what do these people do? SING." I have no problem believing people are buying it. If you don't see at all how anyone can dislike arts then I suppose you're either upper middle class or very artistic yourself. (Not intended to offend anyone.)

Sue seems like she's got guts, and can deal with the cynicism of politics. I would expect she'd be more anti-immigrant and anti-gay and stuff, but I suppose she's bringing on all the dirty tricks now that Burt is running against her.

Either way, I agree with RenatoB. I hate her, I really do, but damn - she's funny. Can't deny that.

fachizzzzle

[9]Nov 10, 2011
    • level: 4
    Totally agreed @Jenny_d_b
    Sue's storyline is an obvious shot out to modern day political discourse. If you turn on CNN, you will hear the exact same argument that Sue is making about defunding the arts being made by certain politicians. This isn't some plot that Glee just made up, this debate is actually going on.
    One thing that I don't understand is why more people aren't on board with this plot. Before this season, I wasn't a supporter of the position that we should defund arts in the budget cutting process, but I understood why the arts should go before things like math and science which seem more important. After watching this season of Glee, I can honestly say for the first time that I understand the opposing view. Glee is making such a compelling case (via the Sue v. Burt election) that some kids NEED the arts. I wasn't one of those kids. I played sports, and was interested in studying law, so I didn't have to be worry about my activities being cut, but for the kids like those in New Directions, this is their lives. They don't want to be doctors, lawyers, engineers, or other professions that our society deems more "valuable" than others. They want to spend their lives performing. By cutting arts programs, we are really harming these kids. That's always been the underlying message of the show, but now it's being discussed as an actual plot point.
    I totally agree with the original poster about Sue's RIDICULOUS plot lines, which is why I've been so glad that they're using her this way. The Evil character that is Sue is now being put to a use AWAY from the kids (so that she can't spoil those plot lines), and she's being used in a very realistic way. Again, Sue's platform is very resonant with many voters, so a Sue Sylvester might be able to pull off such a win. I'm looking forward to seeing the election on Glee bring out more of this type of dialogue.

djboy77

[11]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 7

These are my problems with the whole Sue thing.

Firstly, the jeopardy is not real. Let's face it, the day she succeeds is the day the series is over. Even the break-away "TroubleTones" thing is temporary, just as Kurt's stint at Dalton and various other comings and goings are temporary. We know this, it's built into the series. So, the most they can ever do is bring her schemes right to the edge, and then, oh, wow, will ya look at that, they survive again and everyone's back together.

Secondly, her ramblings while originally amusing, have gone the way of Dr. Cox on Scrubs. With her last rant to Burt, I gotta tell you, I tuned her out after a handful of words. And the fact that he stood there, took it and didn't say a thing is just plain ridiculous. Sitting here watching it, I was making puppet-talky motions with my hand as it was going on, and I seriously have no idea what she said. Probably more telling, I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

Thirdly, it's kind of like having the same Big Bad in three consecutive Buffy series. Okay, so Glory menaces Sunnydale, so the Scoobies defeat her. Then, Glory comes to menace Sunnydale, and the Scoobies defeat her. Next, Glory comes and menaces Sunnydale, and the Scoobies defeat her. Again. Only, one of the frustrating parts is that the glee club doesn't actually fight back in any form; they don't retaliate or respond, they just hold another carwash and turn yet another cheek, so the drama is uni-directional. It's really just near-misses and almost-happens. Part of this is the unbelievability of the school's administration, especially when the principal knows first-hand what Sue's like, and yet schemes that should automatically be shut down by the principal progress for no apparent reason. Couple that with the jeopardy not being real, and it really seems like, what's the point any more?

Lastly, there really is no difference between Sue and Karofsky. Bullying is victimization, and she's specifically set out to target the club, with metaphorical slushies and figurative shoulder-shoves. It's a little hard to take these shenanigans after the homilies and big deal made during the bullying episodes. She and Karofsky are even more alike given what we learn about her in the latest episode, Mash-Off. You don't get to sermonize against something, while simultaneously basing most of your plot developments on the exact same behaviour.

buildam2005

[12]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 14

THANK YOU.

What you have said sums up all of my problems with not just Sue, but with the show as a whole. There is ZERO TENSION because there are never any REAL ramifications for what she does. Even at the end of season one, when she effectively won by getting the glee club shut down, she went and changed her mind--all because of one conversation with the other judges that made her briefly empathize with the glee kids. While it was a good opportunity for character building, it was all reset to zero the next episode. That seems to happen all the time.

Here's what I see happening: the two glee clubs joyfully reunite just in time for sectionals. They win. Yawn. More overly dramatic and unrealistic things happen between sectionals and regionals, but in the end they all reunite for regionals. Yawn. Then, more drama happens to tear them apart before nationals but, oh, guess what, THEY REUNITE. YAWN. YAWN. YAWNYAWNYAWN.

At least on Buffy (great way to contrast real stakes and emotional development with the absolute lack that Glee is suffering from, by the way) each villain was different and caused various emotional (and often very physical) changes in the characters.

Lionheart08

[13]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 30

I have the same problem with Sue that I had with Kurt in the second season. Kurt and Sue were easily the breakout characters of the first season, and the writers' response was the over-saturate the two to the point where I outright detest them. Sue as a "cartoonish villain" is not a good justification because a lot of her antics aren't played for comic-relief.