Glee Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Mash off official discussion thread

TVfreak_28

[1]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 6

well what did every one think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fachizzzzle

[2]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 4
    Incredible. The First Time was my favorite episode of the series so far, so I just knew that Mash-Off wouldn't compare, but somehow it was actually better. The First Time is still my favorite because of how dreamy it was (#DontJudgeMe), but this one was so incredible from start to finish.
    I'm glad that Shelby doesn't want Puck, but I think his feelings for her are adorable.
    I'm glad that HummelBerry is back, and Rachel's pre dodgeball breakdown was beautiful
    Three Words: Naya F***in Rivera! SHE NEEDS AN EMMY NOMINATION. Even though Rachel is my favorite character, Naya is the only character how has been flawless throughotu the series. She's evil when she has to be, and vulnerable when she has to be, and the way that her evil and vulnerability blend so well together is very well written and performed. Hopefully the Emmy Voters were watching. Or at LEAST the Golden Globe voters. Shoot- I'd be happy if the Teen Choice voters were watching (wait- teen choice voters watch every week lol.

Great Ep, Great music!!

djboy77

[3]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 7

I want to kill everyone who has a mullet.

djboy77

[4]Nov 16, 2011

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Santana. She got exactly what she deserved, exactly what was coming to her. Somehow it's alright, cute even, for her to bully, harass and even assault (Rory) other students, but when a bigger fish comes along (Sue's opponent) and does the same thing to her, she suddenly plays a victim card. I absolutely, utterly disagree with the "evil-then-vulnerable" thing. She just wants it both ways; a double-standard, because she's a complete bitch. The actress plays her well, but the character is just plain despicable.

If nothing is done about her striking Finn, then I think I'm done with this series. If he'd done the same thing to her, he'd be frog-marched from the school then and there. Female-on-male assault is exactly as unacceptable as male-on-female (or any other gender combination): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AbuseIsOkayWhenItIsFemaleOnMale

TylerA46

[5]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 11

Great episode, also the first better, than awful episode of the season.

Agree with djboy about Santana. Her behavior early in the episode already went too far, but that slap, she really deserves some punishment, at least a slushie. It's only tv, but I hate bullies who pose as victims. In real world they are evil.

djboy77

[6]Nov 16, 2011

djboy77 wrote:
    I want to kill everyone who has a mullet.

And for Blaine to wear pants that fit.

And socks.

mange85

[7]Nov 16, 2011

The best episode of Glee i have seen for a long time, they nailed it totally.

Season 3 have started to bee the best season so far of Glee.

waterloo1066

[8]Nov 16, 2011

An awesome episode! This must be up there as one of the best Glee episode so far, at least 11/10!

Okay, I get the point some of you are making about the 'bitch' side of Santana. Perhaps her tirade against Finn was a little over the top (even for her) but his response to it was cruel also. Especially as it resulted in Santana being 'outed'. IMO the result of his comments deserved a slap (at least)! Not being gay I can only imagine the way it would make anyone feel if this were to happen to them. I am sure that things like this do happen in schools but it must still be devastating for that person when it does. It must be even more difficult if the person's family hasn't been told. Sanata is my FAVOURITE character, especially when she sings, but perhaps she did overstep the mark but her 'punishment' was far to severe for her 'crime'. Finn will get over the embarrassment of being slagged off but to put someone in the position Kurt was in (and still is to a point) is not on. Remember what Karofsky did to him on a regular basis? I can't remember outcry at Karofsy's blatant and systematic bullying of Kurt - even threatening to 'kill him' at one point even if he wouldn't have carried it through. I know that there will be many who have differing opinions and you are entitled to them, so am I.

alirk

[9]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 22

Ok episode. Didn't blow me away, but the music is getting better

irehawk20

[10]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 9

The episode was fair enough.

1) The beginning was a wild one.

2) Rachel did not do any solos, she got a little help from Shelby and she withdraw from the presidency to support Kurt.

3) The violent part was the dodgeball game.

4) The synopsis mentioned Harmony, but Harmony was not in this episode at all.

5) Santana was rumoured in McKinley High School, but then blames Finn by slapping him violently.

MadameTamma

[11]Nov 16, 2011
    Here's what I've got to say about Santana getting her just deserts in this episode. Yes, she is a bully. She should stop and be reprimanded for it, but when she bullied Finn, they were just cheap shots. Everyone knew they weren't true. Finn knows he's not fat and even he admits that what they were doing was trash talk, just trying to rattle each other. His response to her being gay and reminding her that the one she loves probably won't be the one she ends up with is a low blow, right to her sensitive spot. I don't believe that slapping him at the end was right but she just suffered a crushing humiliation that could have been lead back to what he did, and he didn't even truly understand how hurting it was to her. She was hysterical and in a moment of weakness and I'll come right out and say it. If I were in her shoes I'd probably go hysterical and slap him too. Every homosexual should have the freedom to come out to their friends and family on their own terms. It's an event that will effect the rest of their life. The wounds she inflict upon others will soon heal and fade, but that was a pivotal moment in her life that everyone, especially her will always remember.

waterloo1066

[13]Nov 16, 2011

MadameTamma wrote:
    Here's what I've got to say about Santana getting her just deserts in this episode. Yes, she is a bully. She should stop and be reprimanded for it, but when she bullied Finn, they were just cheap shots. Everyone knew they weren't true. Finn knows he's not fat and even he admits that what they were doing was trash talk, just trying to rattle each other. His response to her being gay and reminding her that the one she loves probably won't be the one she ends up with is a low blow, right to her sensitive spot. I don't believe that slapping him at the end was right but she just suffered a crushing humiliation that could have been lead back to what he did, and he didn't even truly understand how hurting it was to her. She was hysterical and in a moment of weakness and I'll come right out and say it. If I were in her shoes I'd probably go hysterical and slap him too. Every homosexual should have the freedom to come out to their friends and family on their own terms. It's an event that will effect the rest of their life. The wounds she inflict upon others will soon heal and fade, but that was a pivotal moment in her life that everyone, especially her will always remember.

My sentiments exactly but more eloquently put. Scale of humiliation.....Finn 2%....Santana !00%. I wonder what would have happened to Finn if he had done the same thing to Karofsky? I bet it would have been more that a slap.......!

RenatoB

[14]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 43
    I loved this episode. The music kinda sucked (Will and Shelby's mash-up being the best one), but the stories were AWESOME!! I never thought I'd say this about "Glee", but the storytelling is great this year. Even in those first 13 episodes, I never cared much for any of the stories. I just liked the characters, the relationships and the musical numbers. But there's so much drama and intrigue this season, and a lot more characters are getting focused on... it's been great!

nycitynygirl

[15]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 3
    I thought it was a pretty good episode. I knew that it wan't going to be able to live up to the amazing episode last week but it was still enjoyable. I feel bad that Santana got outed but she sorta deserves it. I know she is always mean but she went too far this time!! Also sue is just annoying and I reall hope she either leaves or they bring back the funyn sue from season 1!! I am also really happy that rachel and kurt are friends again!! The music was okay, I love adele but I didnt like the two songs combined for some reason.

SookieSookie

[16]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 2

waterloo1066 wrote:

MadameTamma wrote:

My sentiments exactly but more eloquently put. Scale of humiliation.....Finn 2%....Santana !00%. I wonder what would have happened to Finn if he had done the same thing to Karofsky? I bet it would have been more that a slap.......!

I totally agree!

I don't think anyone deserves to be outed by someone else. Finn is a nice guy and all and Santana was especially cruel in this episode, but what he did to Santana was in a different ballpark. And I'm kinda glad she slapped him But I honestly think Finn didn't mean for it to be on TV and will feel bad when he hears about it (At least I hope so! Because I like Finn as the nice guy, and him being happy about Santana getting outed through TV is going to ruin the character for me )

BTW I loved the Adele mash-up

Lionheart08

[17]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 30

Although I don't quite feel sorry for Santana, I will say that Finn outing her was just plain stupid, especially considering his own step-brother switched out of the same school for a semester because of the rampant homophobia.

Ahny

[18]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 34
    While I agree that Santana was being a bitch to Finn, no question, no one, but NO ONE! has the right to out anyone!

I have been both bullied, and outed, gotta say, the latter sucked the most. And like Sanata said, its not just the school that knows, it's being publisised in a what I assume is a state wide campain add. 6 months ago Santana could barely admit to herself let alone anyone what she may or may not be, and now she get's the face the world. I do not envy her.

And Finn, he deserved he be slapped. I do not condone violence, I support Sanatana's rage. It is Finn's punishment, since neither the school nor his step-dad seem to have cared of noticed what he did. Although I am pretty sure that Kurt's dad didn't realise that Sanata was still in the closet.

archDuke01

[19]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 2

As much as I prefer Santana to Finn I'm gonna have to disagree with those who claim she had the right to slap him / pin everything on him. Making a comparison between her and Kurt is, in my eyes, absolutely ridiculous because Kurt always was a decent person and Karofsky's treatment of him was by all accounts unjustified.

Santana's been exceptionally abusive to Finn this season, who's never actually went out of his way to antagonize her. Even her Trouble Tones buddies noted her extra attention to Finn. Was his retaliation more severe than what she put him through? Definitely. I'm not arguing that. But retaliation is justified in being more severe than the original crime, because, at the risk of sounding juvenile, she is the one who started it. She pushed him pretty hard, and that "apology" was much more obnoxious than how her usual insults are.

And the reveal isn't completely out of left field either. Rumors have been circulating for a while, and the only thing that truly confirmed Santana's sexuality to everyone in that room is her exaggerated and obvious reaction to Finn. I only forgive her for the slap because it did a lot more damage to her in its confirmation than it did to Finn.As sorry as I felt for her in that final scene, she was bringing this all upon herself, and it had finally caught up with her.

RomanZolanski

[20]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 12
    To every person that doesn't feel sympathy for Santana, fuck you. Unless you're LGBT, your opinions are invalid. NO ONE HAS THE FUCKING RIGHT TO OUT ANOTHER PERSON IF THEY AREN'T READY! Omg, I feel for Sanfana because in bi, and if I had no control over someone outing me (I'm still in the closet), them my entire life would be destroyed. Her entire world is crashing down tight now, she might not get accepted by her parents, and so many people are turning against her. Finn of all people should not of done what he did in the hallway (because he has a gay brother).

Although, Santana's behaviour has been horrible beyond belief, and she had no right bullying those around her, messin with someone's sexuality is unhumanly. Like what the fuck? What is wrong with everyone that's agains Santana? Does she deserve a punishment? Yes. But what she got could ruin get life. There are kids who kill themselves because of those sort of thing. There are kids that get kicked out of their homes, unable to get certain jobs, get physically abused, and will always find people who hate them for something they cannot control.

I just hope that everyone that is anti-Santana and is STUPID enough to think she deserved any of it will come to their senses.

& ps, I know this is a show, and I know Santana isn't real, but it's a real situation portrayed through fiction, and people are too ignorant and simple-minded to think beyond their comfort zone. You don't mess with someone's sexuality, like how Kurt didn't out Karofsky after constant violence.