Glee Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread, "Asian F"

alirk

[21]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 22

bonjovichick wrote:

By the way does anyone know why there are no more episodes for a few weeks?

[/QUOTE]

I think it has to do with the Major League Baseball playoffs...Boo!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

waterloo1066

[22]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 6

alirk wrote:

bonjovichick wrote:

By the way does anyone know why there are no more episodes for a few weeks?

I think it has to do with the Major League Baseball playoffs...Boo!

[/QUOTE]

Surely Glee is more important than a few games of baseball! Joke?

irehawk20

[23]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 9

LeytonTLA wrote:
    great episode, i love the comments as well ^^ mercedes bugged me aswell i can see her points but she should of been better by them, also i cant believe they all talk to shue that way!! you would think they would be a little bit nicer as he is a teacher! bless rachel, mike, emma even mercedes at some points, i thought they all did great and there stories were amazing, i loved emmas storyline and i wasnt a huge fan of her to begin with but now she is amazing, the whole end scene was great its been a while since they've done an episode like this i really enjoyed it!

Mercedes has to start all over again!

djboy77

[26]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 7

I don't recognize any of these songs. Is it a bad sign when I'm running through the performances at 1.5x normal speed?

Hard to feel sorry for Mercedes.

Glad Mike learned to sing, and did some actual dancing instead of just popping.

Beastgirl2

[27]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 11

I loved Mike Chang in this episode. He's finally getting interesting; it's too bad he's graduating this year.

Mercedes going through the diva thing again was kind of annoying, and so was Rachel going back to being completely selfish.

I was almost hoping Mike would get the main part in West Side Story; that would have been a nice twist. He was really entertaining to watch and even to listen to.

I really loved this episode though. It is one of those feel-good episodes with just the right combination of sweet, sad, fun, and funny that used to be so common until most of season 2.

MadameTamma

[28]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 7

the first thing I'd like to say is that Mr. Shue is kind of overdoing it. I know he wants to win this time and see his kids reach new heights, but he may be going a little too far. Glee club used to be this fun place where everyone accepted you, now he's turning people away, and yelling at his kids for not being good enough. Also every good coach knows that when someone starts to complain of pains, especially to the point where their leaning over a garbage can, holding their stomach, you're going too far. Yes, exercise can make you sore, but it shouldn't leave you feeling sick or in pain. A good coach would have, sent her to the nurse, let her sit down until she feels a bit better, or at least check if it's something that could be serious. There was a point in this episode where I wondered if something bad was going to happen to mercedes because she seemed to be too stressed out.

the next is something that I don't feel I have to go into much detail about because it has already been discussed by many others, yes Mercedes was very rude and cold but she has given so much to this club and has gotten so little in return so it's only natural for her to lose it and maybe say the wrong thing in her moment of anger. I probably would feel the same way in her situation. She's just so tired of compromising.

The final thing is something that I'm surprised to see no one brought up yet. the title "Asian F" and the whole thing about Mike's parents getting angry that his grades are a few points short of perfect seems to be contributing to a negative Asian stereotype that parents value their children's grades over their happiness. I know that higher education is an important part of Asian culture but the way it's portrayed and the fact that all the Asian's (even Tina who is not a part of Mike's family just another asian american) seem to react the same way about the "Asian F", makes their culture look cold, and I refuse to believe that all Asians treat their kids like that.

Having said that, I did like Mike's story line and development. He was great.

RenatoB

[29]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 43
    This was a great episode. I liked most of the performances. I just didn't care for "Fix You" (don't like Coldplay; as Peter Griffin would put it, their songs are "whiny bull crap"), and, to some extent, that song Mike sang. He was great, the number was great, the dancers were great, but the song itself, not that appealing. Brittany made me like "Run the World (Girls)", a song I despise because it's ultimately so sexist. I liked "Spotlight", a song I'd never heard before. They're doing a lot of unknown songs lately. That kinda sucks. My favorite number was the Effie one, "It's All Over". I never watched "Dreamgirls", but I'm thinking that was a recreation, right? It was awesome.

Anyway, the stories were generally good. I love Valerie Mahaffey (she was so awesome on DH), but I think she was kind of wasted, and her character was so hateable. That's a shame. I loved the mention of Terri, and the other referrences. Mercedes was awful in this episode, but she made everything interesting. This season is turning out awesome, what with all the conflicts between the main characters.

silvergirl07

[30]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 6

RenatoB wrote:
    I loved the mention of Terri

When was that?? How come I miss this?!?!

Beastgirl2

[31]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 11

silvergirl07 wrote:

RenatoB wrote:

The only one I know of was when Emma blamed the wedding magazine stash on her.

RenatoB

[32]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 43
    Beastgirl2 wrote:

silvergirl07 wrote:

RenatoB wrote:

The only one I know of was when Emma blamed the wedding magazine stash on her.

Yes, that's the one.

bonjovichick

[33]Oct 11, 2011
    • level: 16

RenatoB wrote:
    This was a great episode. I liked most of the performances. I just didn't care for "Fix You" (don't like Coldplay; as Peter Griffin would put it, their songs are "whiny bull crap"), and, to some extent, that song Mike sang. He was great, the number was great, the dancers were great, but the song itself, not that appealing. Brittany made me like "Run the World (Girls)", a song I despise because it's ultimately so sexist. I liked "Spotlight", a song I'd never heard before. They're doing a lot of unknown songs lately. That kinda sucks. My favorite number was the Effie one, "It's All Over". I never watched "Dreamgirls", but I'm thinking that was a recreation, right? It was awesome. Anyway, the stories were generally good. I love Valerie Mahaffey (she was so awesome on DH), but I think she was kind of wasted, and her character was so hateable. That's a shame. I loved the mention of Terri, and the other referrences. Mercedes was awful in this episode, but she made everything interesting. This season is turning out awesome, what with all the conflicts between the main characters.

You must not know West Side Story if you don't know the song Mike did. That is a classic song from the movie. Certainly not one of the most played songs but one if you watched it a few times you would know.

luv2live

[34]Oct 11, 2011
    • level: 14
    MadameTamma wrote:

the first thing I'd like to say is that Mr. Shue is kind of overdoing it. I know he wants to win this time and see his kids reach new heights, but he may be going a little too far. Glee club used to be this fun place where everyone accepted you, now he's turning people away, and yelling at his kids for not being good enough. Also every good coach knows that when someone starts to complain of pains, especially to the point where their leaning over a garbage can, holding their stomach, you're going too far. Yes, exercise can make you sore, but it shouldn't leave you feeling sick or in pain. A good coach would have, sent her to the nurse, let her sit down until she feels a bit better, or at least check if it's something that could be serious. There was a point in this episode where I wondered if something bad was going to happen to mercedes because she seemed to be too stressed out.

the next is something that I don't feel I have to go into much detail about because it has already been discussed by many others, yes Mercedes was very rude and cold but she has given so much to this club and has gotten so little in return so it's only natural for her to lose it and maybe say the wrong thing in her moment of anger. I probably would feel the same way in her situation. She's just so tired of compromising.

The final thing is something that I'm surprised to see no one brought up yet. the title "Asian F" and the whole thing about Mike's parents getting angry that his grades are a few points short of perfect seems to be contributing to a negative Asian stereotype that parents value their children's grades over their happiness. I know that higher education is an important part of Asian culture but the way it's portrayed and the fact that all the Asian's (even Tina who is not a part of Mike's family just another asian american) seem to react the same way about the "Asian F", makes their culture look cold, and I refuse to believe that all Asians treat their kids like that.

Having said that, I did like Mike's story line and development. He was great.

I kinda agree and I kinda disagree. I do think Mr. Shue is overdoing it, it isn't a place that is fun anymore. It's nice to win but not at the expense of the kids having fun. it's what the club was all about, your right.
    I do think that Mercedes handled the situation poorly but I do think she had some merit to her point. Rachel isn't practicing dancing but it looks like the majority of the kids are, together. Isn't that a good thing, everyone doing it together. Also, Mercedes isn't the first one to bring up the fact that Rachel acts like the star and gets treated by others that way. I think Quinn and Santana and even Kurt among a few have mentioned it. It's becoming a bit of a trend. Rachel admitted to Finn that Mercedes was better than she was yet they were both cast. When Mercedes found out, she handled it calmly. She didn't throw a diva fit. She calmly said she didn't wish to share the role. She calmly asked Rachel to admit that she was better and when she couldn't she calmly walked out. It was all within her right. Can any of us honestly say that Rachel would have handled it that well? Personally, I wouldn't mind Rachel being treated a bit more equally.