Glee Forums

FOX (ended 2015)

Real singing or not?

hamletmoo

[1]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 1
    I'm sorry if someone has already asked this and I just missed it. My question: Is all of the singing done on Glee actually done by the respective actors/actresses or is some of it just someone else's singing voice dubbed in? I ask because for some characters it's clear that the person singing really is doing the singing, but for others it seems like it really isn't the person, but just another persons singing voice dubbed in. Thanks for any info!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

charlie_chan

[2]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 7

Oh no, they are definetly singing for reals. They're what Hollywood likes to call "triple threats" because they can sing, dance AND act.

And even some of them have had previous musical experience before Glee- such as: Kevin Mchale (Artie) was in a boy band "NLT" and Lea Michelle (Rachel) and Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina) were on Broadway and I think I even read somewhere that Mark Salling (Puck) is in a band too. While for others, like Cory Montieth (Finn), this is their first time singing professionally.

But it IS all them, 100%. Though not to say they may or may not have had to do pre-recording and dubbing with their own voices for some parts just for the sake of filming any tv show.
    and some people say the sound can be "tin-can like" but I personally don't hear it. What can you expect from them singing live and recording it on a sound stage in a studio and translated through your TV speakers?

Edited on 10/02/2009 8:57pm

WarlockAngel22

[3]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 2
    The actors are all singing. The singing is just dubbed over. It's one of the negatives of the show. The snycing is not very well done or consistent. It's a shame since they are very good. Maybe it's a budget thing and if they are picked up next season, it will get better.

sci_fi40

[4]Oct 3, 2009
    charlie_chan wrote:

Oh no, they are definetly singing for reals. They're what Hollywood likes to call "triple threats" because they can sing, dance AND act.

Well, mostly...As much as I love Finn, I don't think Cory Montieth can dance very well at all. My friend was watching with me for the first time and even she commented on how bad he is, but thats ok, because he's still cute. And he has a great voice that will only get better with proper training.

Edited on 10/03/2009 11:58am

charlie_chan

[5]Oct 3, 2009
    Well yeah.. seen in many an interview on youtube that Cory's weakest thing IS dancing but boy does he try hard, lol. such a cutie anyways!
    and they always say the strongest dancer is Kevin (Artie) and ironically he's the one in the wheelchair, but that doesn't make us love him any less

sherv22

[6]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 14
    I'm certain the main shown vocalists in each song, and all the main characters in the glee club, can and do sing in their songs. They clearly add more backup singers in certain songs than there are people onscreen, though, and it's unclear whether some of the minor characters ever actually sing. Characters like Brittany (Quinn's blonde Cheerio lackey) and the Asian football guy who just joined are played by professional dancers, not musical stars, so who knows if they're doing their own singing. Not that it matters much, since they're never going to have lead vocals in a song.
    Edited on 10/03/2009 8:00pm

thetruesora

[7]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 22
    Every person who's a main character in the show had both an acting and singing audition so that it would be the actual person singing (with possibly the odd bit of computer editing).

buffyangel4evr_

[8]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 20
    While the performances are obviously dubbed, it is deffinately the realy singing voices of all involved. As previous posters stated, quite a few have stage ecperience. Additionally, the Glee Club toured the country doing conventions and performed live for the attendees.

fryke

[9]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 4
    They're singing alright (though dubbed), but either they're not actually good at hitting a tone or someone in marketing thought that clearly audible pitch-control would be a good idea for people singing without microphones. It soooooooooooo drags the whole show down. It's terrible. :/ The show would be so good without those computer-effects over the voice.

DC-Dude

[10]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 26
    The guy who plays Finn sounds like his voice has been altered. If not, he must be a REALLY GOOD SINGER.