Glee Forums

FOX (ended 2015)

Really? Another gay storyline?

  • Avatar of alirk

    alirk

    [1]Nov 22, 2011
    • member since: 10/15/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,530

    Is anyone else annoyed that we're now getting this Santana storyline? The 1st part of last season was taken hostage by Kurt's bullying storyline. He was being bullied by a closeted gay for being gay. And now we're getting another gay storyline! Ok, Ryan Murphy, we know that you're gay, out, loud & proud, but do we really need ANOTHER gay storyline? And so early in the season? I will admit I've been out of highschool for a few years, but is this really how highschool is now? Is everything somehow tied to people's sexuality? I just think it's ridiculous...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wichovettorazzi

    wichovettorazzi

    [2]Nov 22, 2011
    • member since: 04/10/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 152

    Now that you mention it, I think you're absolutly right. Gays have been stealing the spotlight for quite a long time now. I mean, "The first time" was about two young couples doing it for the first time, and one fo them was a gay. Kurt has been getting too much attentionand I don't even think I have to point examples to prove that, we're all aware he is. And making Blaine a regular just didn't help.


    I agree with you in the fact that when I was in high school, there were one or two gay stories on the whole school. And they didn't even were in the same year, even less in the same club.


    However, you have to admit it was quite a good episode and the ending was epic. I still hope they don't focus a lot on this storyline, though. At least it will take the spotlight away from Kurt for a while.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RenatoB

    RenatoB

    [3]Nov 23, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 4,760
    Wasn't there already a thread for this?

    Anyway, I hated Santana's gay story when it debuted in... I think it was 2.15, right? "Sexy"? That's when I rolled my eyes and said to myself "ugh, another gay storyline?". But now, I've gotten used to that story, so I don't complain as much. And it actually got really interesting in the last episode (3.06, haven't watched 3.07 yet). Plus, they've done a better job of shifting the focus between the main characters episode after episode this season, it's no longer the Rachel & Kurt show. I don't mind that Blaine's a regular, but they went in a direction with him that I'm not particularly fond of... he was a butch, but now they're gaying him up, which is annoying, mostly because there's already an effeminate homosexual in that club (not Santana ). Seriously, what's with the bow-tie? I really dug Blaine in season 2, but now he's rapidly turning into Kurt 2.0. I know this show is huge on stereotypes (Brittany, Puck, Finn, Kurt, Mercedes, Quinn, they're all stereotypes), but can't they have a gay guy that doesn't act like a girl? Nothing against that, but I'd rather have it the other way. That way, they'd complement each other, am I right? Considering that the lesbian (Santana) is a bit of a brute, it doesn't help much either. Again, we all know this show is big on stereotypes, but some people may not wise up to that, and will maybe even be lead further to believe that gays are always like girls and lesbians are always like men. Which isn't cool.

    As for the story itself, like I said, it's gotten interesting with quite a few nice twists in the middle. It sure managed to surprise me more than 2.06 did. Also, I guess the focus in that episode was because they have a recurring theme with episodes, right? Like, 1.06, 2.06 and 3.06 all featured mash-ups, and 2.06 and 3.06 both featured gay-centric storylines, so 4.06 probably will as well... but, yeah, sometimes Ryan's agenda becomes unbearable. More and more that guy (despite creating this funny as hell show) seems like a bit of a douche... sorry, Mr. Murphy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RenatoB

    RenatoB

    [4]Nov 23, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 4,760
    Oh, well, I just found out that 3.07 hasn't aired yet, I thought it had aired this Tuesday night. Is it me, or does "Glee" have the worst schedule? I don't really follow any other FOX show (excluding the Animation Domination shows, which rarely ever air new episodes of my favorite series as well), so I wouldn't know how they do things, but "Glee" delivers such short batches of straight episodes... first 3 shows, then a 1-month break. Then 2 shows, and a 2-week break. What's next? Last season's episodes were also all over the place. First 4 episodes, break. Episode 5, break. Episodes 11-14, break. Episodes 15-16, huge break. Come on!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of waterloo1066

    waterloo1066

    [5]Nov 23, 2011
    • member since: 04/15/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 199


    I am really impressed how RenatoB can not only remember all that stuff but also the episodes and the running sequences it happens in - sorry it's off thread but just thought I would say it in passing.


    I do agree the the New Directions/Troubletones has so many gay story lines that is is starting to look like an advertisement for The Ohio Gay Pride Convention 2011. Whilst some of the threads have been handled really well i.e. Kurt and his dad; Kurt and Blaine; Karofsky accepting that he is gay. Finally Santana being 'outed' by Finn, rather than of her own choosing, was perhaps rather cruel (I am not defending her verbal bulling or her actions in dealing with Finn) but I thought it cruel non the less. Hopefully Santana will turn out to be bisexual to even things out a little (two with Brittany) or is Brittany just bi-curious? There are approx 15/16 main choir members out of which 3 are homosexual, 1 is a 'Lebanese' And 1 who is not quite sure. Surely that can't be a typical ratio if it was applied across a whole school population! (I think someone else has mentioned that last bit somewhere). Ryan Murphy is accepted as being gay and there is nothing wrong with that. But if he is influencing the stories because of that fact then the sooner he tries to be a little more imaginative - or gets some of the other writers to be more creative - the better. At least the emphasis is swinging away from the Rachel/Kurt show and the Kurt/Blaine show to the Santana/? show (she has IMO been singing some really awesome songs this series by the way). Hopefully some of the other characters will be developed (soon). I am looking forward to Sam coming back and am curious as to how his story line will play out - surely he won't be a closet gay (joke, hopefully not in bad taste).


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wichovettorazzi

    wichovettorazzi

    [6]Nov 23, 2011
    • member since: 04/10/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 152
    RenatoB wrote:
    Is it me, or does "Glee" have the worst schedule? I don't really follow any other FOX show (excluding the Animation Domination shows, which rarely ever air new episodes of my favorite series as well), so I wouldn't know how they do things, but "Glee" delivers such short batches of straight episodes... first 3 shows, then a 1-month break. Then 2 shows, and a 2-week break. What's next? Last season's episodes were also all over the place. First 4 episodes, break. Episode 5, break. Episodes 11-14, break. Episodes 15-16, huge break. Come on!


    I agree, I think they do that to increse the suspense, but it's becoming anoying... I can't think of another reason, because if it were because of post production issues, (Such as editing, sound mixing, etc.) they would somehow manage to have it ready for the week they're supposed to have it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RenatoB

    RenatoB

    [7]Nov 23, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 4,760
    waterloo1066 wrote:
    I am really impressed how RenatoB can not only remember all that stuff but also the episodes and the running sequences it happens in - sorry it's off thread but just thought I would say it in passing.


    Well, to be fair, I checked the episode guide. But I did remember that there were tons of breaks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DeGeorgetown

    DeGeorgetown

    [8]Nov 23, 2011
    • member since: 08/01/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 125

    Better this than the stupid "I'm getting my baby back" storyline from Quinn.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of waterloo1066

    waterloo1066

    [9]Nov 24, 2011
    • member since: 04/15/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 199
    RenatoB wrote:
    waterloo1066 wrote:
    I am really impressed how RenatoB can not only remember all that stuff but also the episodes and the running sequences it happens in - sorry it's off thread but just thought I would say it in passing.


    Well, to be fair, I checked the episode guide. But I did remember that there were tons of breaks.


    Is that cheating or just using available resources?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RenatoB

    RenatoB

    [10]Nov 24, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 4,760
    waterloo1066 wrote:
    RenatoB wrote:
    waterloo1066 wrote:
    I am really impressed how RenatoB can not only remember all that stuff but also the episodes and the running sequences it happens in - sorry it's off thread but just thought I would say it in passing.


    Well, to be fair, I checked the episode guide. But I did remember that there were tons of breaks.


    Is that cheating or just using available resources?


    I'd go with the second.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alirk

    alirk

    [11]Nov 27, 2011
    • member since: 10/15/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,530

    DeGeorgetown wrote:


    Better this than the stupid "I'm getting my baby back" storyline from Quinn.



    Yeah, the Quinn storyline this season has been really stupid...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MadameTamma

    MadameTamma

    [12]Nov 29, 2011
    • member since: 03/25/11
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 30

    While I am enjoying Santana's story line, I can see why other people wouldn't. Here's an idea, how about we focus more on Mike getting disowned by his dad. That seems to be a big side plot that was barely glanced over. I'd like it if they focussed a little bit more on that. Poor Mike hardly ever gets the spotlight.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lionheart08

    Lionheart08

    [13]Nov 29, 2011
    • member since: 03/27/05
    • level: 30
    • rank: Anchorman
    • posts: 3,961

    From the looks of it, it isn't going to be a season long storyline like the Kurt/Karfosky saga from last season. And it beats another "Finn/Rachel" relationship break up.


    That said, I characters like Tina, Mercedes, Artie, and Mike are still on the back burner to a storyline that, for all sakes and purposes, is treading old ground.


    Also I have to be honest, as touching as Finn's reasoning and motivation for wanting to help Santana, I absolutely hate that the writers completely shrugged over how Finn outed Santana in the previous episode. Even if it was unintentional, It still rubbed me the wrong way that Finn stood by his "it's for your own good" justification.

    Edited on 11/29/2011 11:07pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of buildam2005

    buildam2005

    [14]Nov 30, 2011
    • member since: 05/30/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 710
    Lionheart08 wrote:

    From the looks of it, it isn't going to be a season long storyline like the Kurt/Karfosky saga from last season. And it beats another "Finn/Rachel" relationship break up.


    That said, I characters like Tina, Mercedes, Artie, and Mike are still on the back burner to a storyline that, for all sakes and purposes, is treading old ground.


    Also I have to be honest, as touching as Finn's reasoning and motivation for wanting to help Santana, I absolutely hate that the writers completely shrugged over how Finn outed Santana in the previous episode. Even if it was unintentional, It still rubbed me the wrong way that Finn stood by his "it's for your own good" justification.



    And on the flipside, is it just me, or is Santana sure getting some nice treatment despite how horrendous she has been to people? And did anyone ever think to explain to her that physical violence (that is, her bitch slap at Finn) is NOT an okay way to respond, despite how bad what Finn did to her was? It seems like all of the niceness and support extended in this episode was SO superficial, and there are far more serious issues that needed to be dealt with. Ugh, this show some(all the)times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hal90042000

    hal90042000

    [15]Nov 30, 2011
    • member since: 09/08/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 146
    buildam2005 wrote:
    Lionheart08 wrote:

    From the looks of it, it isn't going to be a season long storyline like the Kurt/Karfosky saga from last season. And it beats another "Finn/Rachel" relationship break up.


    That said, I characters like Tina, Mercedes, Artie, and Mike are still on the back burner to a storyline that, for all sakes and purposes, is treading old ground.


    Also I have to be honest, as touching as Finn's reasoning and motivation for wanting to help Santana, I absolutely hate that the writers completely shrugged over how Finn outed Santana in the previous episode. Even if it was unintentional, It still rubbed me the wrong way that Finn stood by his "it's for your own good" justification.



    And on the flipside, is it just me, or is Santana sure getting some nice treatment despite how horrendous she has been to people? And did anyone ever think to explain to her that physical violence (that is, her bitch slap at Finn) is NOT an okay way to respond, despite how bad what Finn did to her was? It seems like all of the niceness and support extended in this episode was SO superficial, and there are far more serious issues that needed to be dealt with. Ugh, this show some(all the)times.
    It was strange how Finn was so willing to help Santana when she spent the last few episode's riping him apart.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of buildam2005

    buildam2005

    [16]Dec 1, 2011
    • member since: 05/30/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 710
    hal90042000 wrote:
    buildam2005 wrote:
    Lionheart08 wrote:

    From the looks of it, it isn't going to be a season long storyline like the Kurt/Karfosky saga from last season. And it beats another "Finn/Rachel" relationship break up.


    That said, I characters like Tina, Mercedes, Artie, and Mike are still on the back burner to a storyline that, for all sakes and purposes, is treading old ground.


    Also I have to be honest, as touching as Finn's reasoning and motivation for wanting to help Santana, I absolutely hate that the writers completely shrugged over how Finn outed Santana in the previous episode. Even if it was unintentional, It still rubbed me the wrong way that Finn stood by his "it's for your own good" justification.



    And on the flipside, is it just me, or is Santana sure getting some nice treatment despite how horrendous she has been to people? And did anyone ever think to explain to her that physical violence (that is, her bitch slap at Finn) is NOT an okay way to respond, despite how bad what Finn did to her was? It seems like all of the niceness and support extended in this episode was SO superficial, and there are far more serious issues that needed to be dealt with. Ugh, this show some(all the)times.
    It was strange how Finn was so willing to help Santana when she spent the last few episode's riping him apart.


    Two possible explanations:

    1. Every character on the show suffers from short-term amnesia.
    2. The writers have no idea how to carry character consistency from one episode to the next.

    Or, I guess, 3. Both 1 and 2.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TracyAnnNevil

    TracyAnnNevil

    [17]Dec 2, 2011
    • member since: 12/02/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Thank goodness someone other than me is saying this. When are they going to change the name of the show to 'Everyone's gay they just won't admit it'. We get it - it's tough being gay in school/coming out to your family etc. etc. But come on - we've been through all this with Kurt, must we do it again with Santana? Just sing the songs for pity's sake. And by the way, forcing friends out of the closet before they're ready is just another form of bullying.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lionheart08

    Lionheart08

    [18]Dec 5, 2011
    • member since: 03/27/05
    • level: 30
    • rank: Anchorman
    • posts: 3,961

    buildam2005 wrote:
    hal90042000 wrote:
    buildam2005 wrote:
    Lionheart08 wrote:


    From the looks of it, it isn't going to be a season long storyline like the Kurt/Karfosky saga from last season. And it beats another "Finn/Rachel" relationship break up.


    That said, I characters like Tina, Mercedes, Artie, and Mike are still on the back burner to a storyline that, for all sakes and purposes, is treading old ground.


    Also I have to be honest, as touching as Finn's reasoning and motivation for wanting to help Santana, I absolutely hate that the writers completely shrugged over how Finn outed Santana in the previous episode. Even if it was unintentional, It still rubbed me the wrong way that Finn stood by his "it's for your own good" justification.


    And on the flipside, is it just me, or is Santana sure getting some nice treatment despite how horrendous she has been to people? And did anyone ever think to explain to her that physical violence (that is, her bitch slap at Finn) is NOT an okay way to respond, despite how bad what Finn did to her was? It seems like all of the niceness and support extended in this episode was SO superficial, and there are far more serious issues that needed to be dealt with. Ugh, this show some(all the)times.
    It was strange how Finn was so willing to help Santana when she spent the last few episode's riping him apart.
    Two possible explanations: 1. Every character on the show suffers from short-term amnesia. 2. The writers have no idea how to carry character consistency from one episode to the next. Or, I guess, 3. Both 1 and 2.


    Oh, it's definitely number 2. Finn dumps Rachel for cheating on him with Punk and then the very next episode he cheats with Quinn on Sam. Kurt complains about his dad not giving him any actual advice, and then tries to avoid him when Burt attempts to give him the sex talk. Rachel jumping back and forth between being an attention whore and wanting to share the spotlight. Sue dropping her vendetta against Glee Club after they throw a funeral for her sister, and then in the very next season she's back to trying to destroy glee club.


    Seriously, this is the biggest problem with Glee.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RenatoB

    RenatoB

    [19]Dec 6, 2011
    • member since: 10/30/05
    • level: 43
    • rank: K.I.T.T
    • posts: 4,760
    Guys, you don't have to continually quote each other, just use ^^ or @.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pamhalpert

    pamhalpert

    [20]Dec 6, 2011
    • member since: 05/15/06
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,927

    I am so glad that someone brought this up. I'm straight, but I am a big supporter of gay rights. That being said; These storylines are just gay gay gay gay gay. We Get It!!! I understand they are trying to get the gay audience, but they don't realize that every gay person in america knows about this show already.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.