Glee Forums

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

The New Rachel (Episode 4X01)

irehawk20

[1]Jul 26, 2012
    • level: 9

I'm not sure if this sounds correct, but after actress Lea Michele left this show, I understand there will be a new actress to play Rachel in this episode. The Rachel character is in NYADA right now, but anyhow, please discuss this episode anytime.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alirk

[2]Jul 29, 2012
    • level: 22

irehawk20 wrote:

I'm not sure if this sounds correct, but after actress Lea Michele left this show, I understand there will be a new actress to play Rachel in this episode. The Rachel character is in NYADA right now, but anyhow, please discuss this episode anytime.

This does not sound at all correct. Lea Michele did NOT leave Glee, they just moved her character to NYC

RenatoB

[3]Jul 31, 2012
    • level: 43
    Lol Lea Michele isn't going anywhere, she's still the star of the show. She might even be the only castmember to be featured in all 22 episodes this coming season. The title probably refers to at least one of two things: a new journey for Rachel in New York, or Tina becoming the Glee Club leader and thus being the new Rachel.

thanatos34

[4]Aug 27, 2012
    • level: 1

or a new character also named Rachel

DocKev

[5]Sep 14, 2012
    • level: 3

It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a Ryan Murphy written episode as much as this one (probably the last one was season 2's "Comeback"). The final scene when Rachel saw Kurt, and the scene between Kurt and his dad were great (although I'm sad to think that we won't see as much of Mike O'Malley now that Kurt is in NY). I thought that the time given to the two different stories was good, and I was glad that Kurt & Rachel were the only two graduated students hi-lighted this episode. One of my concerns for this season was that too many of the graduated students in each episode would draw too much focus off the remaining McKinley students, but I didn't feel this happened this episode.

My only small complaint this episode is that they only ended up with 9 members in New Directions after the auditions. We're constantly told that a competition choir requires 12 members to compete in Regionals/Nationals, so why wouldn't Will select at least 3 others to practice with the club? There seemed to be a lot of people signing up for try-outs, and choosing three so-so singers for the club still beats having to get 3 band members to join New Directions for Regionals at the last minute! Of course I realize we'll probably have Puck's brother, the new Cheerio's head cheerleader & maybe Rory coming back as an exchange student before the first competition (although I found it strange that Dianna Agron & Damian McGinty were the only two actors from last year's cast not shown in the opening credits). But it would have been nice if Mr. Schu made mention that they still needed to find 3 more members in order to defend their National Championship. However, this episode has me optimistic for Season 4.

irehawk20

[6]Sep 14, 2012

DocKev wrote:

It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a Ryan Murphy written episode as much as this one (probably the last one was season 2's "Comeback"). The final scene when Rachel saw Kurt, and the scene between Kurt and his dad were great (although I'm sad to think that we won't see as much of Mike O'Malley now that Kurt is in NY). I thought that the time given to the two different stories was good, and I was glad that Kurt & Rachel were the only two graduated students hi-lighted this episode. One of my concerns for this season was that too many of the graduated students in each episode would draw too much focus off the remaining McKinley students, but I didn't feel this happened this episode.

My only small complaint this episode is that they only ended up with 9 members in New Directions after the auditions. We're constantly told that a competition choir requires 12 members to compete in Regionals/Nationals, so why wouldn't Will select at least 3 others to practice with the club? There seemed to be a lot of people signing up for try-outs, and choosing three so-so singers for the club still beats having to get 3 band members to join New Directions for Regionals at the last minute! Of course I realize we'll probably have Puck's brother, the new Cheerio's head cheerleader & maybe Rory coming back as an exchange student before the first competition (although I found it strange that Dianna Agron & Damian McGinty were the only two actors from last year's cast not shown in the opening credits). But it would have been nice if Mr. Schu made mention that they still needed to find 3 more members in order to defend their National Championship. However, this episode has me optimistic for Season 4.

There will be more members in the next episode, so hang on!

MrCellophane1

[7]Sep 14, 2012
    • level: 7

The ONLY bright spots in this episode:

-The bad Glee club auditions. The stoner was HILARIOUS.
    -I genuinely cried when Kurt said goodbye to his dad in NYC.
    -I also cried when Rachel and Kurt were reunited.

Other than that, this episode was a whole lotta nothin'. It was built way too much on a bunch of contrived stories and a faux sense of sentimentality (apart from the two touching moments I mentioned above). I didn't really feel the Marley character too much - she looked way too drop dead gorgeous for me to really buy the whole "unpopular" thing and having a 300 lb. lunch lady as her mom felt like they were trying too hard to make her someone to sympathize with. Also, how did Wade get into the club without auditioning? Another plot hole.

Not as bad as that god-awful Michael episode, but episodes like this reinforce my stance that this show should have only had one season. The three moments I listed above prove that the writers are still capable of coming up with something good.

I hope this season shapes up quick! I don't expect season 1 quality, but I at least want to be motivated to tune in every week. If this entire season is this quality, I will certainly NOT be pleased.

Grade: F

DocKev

[8]Sep 15, 2012
    • level: 3

MrCellophane1 wrote:

. Also, how did Wade get into the club without auditioning? Another plot hole.

Grade: F

I know I've been quite critical of the Glee writers about what I thought were plot holes in the past 2 seasons, but I didn't think that Wade not having to do an audition falls into that category. For me, an audition is used to determine whether a person is skilled enough to join a group/team. Since Will & the club saw Wade at Nationals, they knew how good he was (and winning MVP at Nationals doesn't hurt either), so an audition wasn't necessary to show he could sing & dance. And the club has shown in the past that when they are short members (ie under that magic "12" number, as they are now), they'll pretty much accept anyone without an audition (eg Lauren Zizes, the three un-named band members joining at Regionals). And I seem to recall that when Blaine joined (I forgot to mention in my previous post that I thought it was hilarious that Brittany referred to Blaine as "Blaine Warbler" in this episode!) he didn't have to audition to join either. For those reasons, I don't see the lack of an audition for Wade to be a plot hole. I think the writers are being consistent with what they wrote previously on this one.

Nerdnot

[9]Sep 15, 2012
    • level: 14
    I liked how Kurt came in Rachaels most time of need. I thought that and a few other things as well.

WHERES EMMA!? Grade C

sunnstar7

[10]Sep 16, 2012
    Can someone please explain something to me? I remember at the end of last season, Rachel choked on her audition to NYADA and Kurt switched his song at the last minute and was amazing. So how come now Rachel goes to NYADA and Kurt doesn't? Did I miss something??

Nerdnot

[11]Sep 16, 2012
    sunnstar7 wrote:
    Can someone please explain something to me? I remember at the end of last season, Rachel choked on her audition to NYADA and Kurt switched his song at the last minute and was amazing. So how come now Rachel goes to NYADA and Kurt doesn't? Did I miss something??
    The NYADA director decided to give Rachael a second chance at Nationals, which we all know that Rachael did great in.(Als,o Jessie gave a great recommendation) and sometimes stuff like that just happen.

wichovettorazzi

[12]Sep 17, 2012
    • level: 5

I thought this was a good comeback after the season 3 fiasco.

*Parenthesis*

The only good episodes in season 3 for me were:

Mash Off

On My Way

Heart

and Nationals

*End of parenthesis*

I really think the new characters are quite intresting and could give a lot to glee. Plus It's gonna be intresting watching what happened to last year's senniors. They really did a good job combining those stories. I think it's the closest we've been from season 1 since season 1.

What I didn't like:

Wade/Unique. Didn't like him on season 3, don't like him now. I'm sure he's a powerful singer but I find both the actor and the character extremely anoying. His bad acting and him wanting to be the center of attention since day 1 just make him even more annoying. His Alter-ego Unique just makes him even more annoying. It really disapoints me thinking I'm gonna have to watch him the rest of the season if I wanna keep watching glee.

Mr. Schue. He went from being lead actor, to almost an extra. No wonder why Matthew Morrison feels trapped in the show. In this episode he had almost as much participation as Jacob Israel. It seems to me his character is still in the show just because it would be unrealistic to leave the glee club without any supervision. Really hope to see more of him.

This last one wasn't really that disapointing. I just really thought we were gonna see Finn, Santana, Puck, Mercedes, etc since this season's first episode. But I think they're handling it really well leaving the center of attention in McKinley and NYADA.

RenatoB

[13]Sep 19, 2012
    My biggest beef with season 4 is the regular cast. It's stupid. They didn't hire any new regulars except for Chord Overstreet, who finally got the promotion that was due to him. They keep Amber Riley, Mark Salling and Harry Shum Jr. listed as regulars, even though they won't appear as much, and all the prominent new characters (Marley, Kitty, Jake, Brody) are recurring. That's stupid. I don't understand why "Glee" always has such a shoddy main cast. They should had just dropped those three regulars and hired new ones. I don't think they should, however, drop Cory Monteith, cos even though Finn's gotten boring we all know Rachel and Finn need to end up together, or Naya Rivera, cos she's a fan favorite and super talented. But those other three, it was about time to let them go and give others a chance. Season 4 was supposed to be all about bringing in new people to replace the old ones. The old ones are all there!!! Except for Quinn, who is apparently no longer a regular... or Emma. What the hell happened, why was Jayma Mays not listed?

RenatoB

[14]Sep 19, 2012
    As for there only being 9 people in Glee club... yeah, that's really stupid. So many audtions and only Marley is hired. Why? Because they wanna milk it so that later on Kitty and Jake and someone else (TGP winner?) can join the group. Other than hiring three other actors to fill the space right away in the premiere. In a way, it makes sense. Budget-wise. Story-wise, it's a big hole.

sunnstar7

[15]Sep 19, 2012
    Nerdnot wrote:
    sunnstar7 wrote:
    The NYADA director decided to give Rachael a second chance at Nationals, which we all know that Rachael did great in.(Als,o Jessie gave a great recommendation) and sometimes stuff like that just happen.

Oh, thanks! Apparently I missed the last few episodes of last season without realizing it... whoops

Nerdnot

[16]Sep 21, 2012
    RenatoB wrote:
    My biggest beef with season 4 is the regular cast. It's stupid. They didn't hire any new regulars except for Chord Overstreet, who finally got the promotion that was due to him. They keep Amber Riley, Mark Salling and Harry Shum Jr. listed as regulars, even though they won't appear as much, and all the prominent new characters (Marley, Kitty, Jake, Brody) are recurring. That's stupid. I don't understand why "Glee" always has such a shoddy main cast. They should had just dropped those three regulars and hired new ones. I don't think they should, however, drop Cory Monteith, cos even though Finn's gotten boring we all know Rachel and Finn need to end up together, or Naya Rivera, cos she's a fan favorite and super talented. But those other three, it was about time to let them go and give others a chance. Season 4 was supposed to be all about bringing in new people to replace the old ones. The old ones are all there!!! Except for Quinn, who is apparently no longer a regular... or Emma. What the hell happened, why was Jayma Mays not listed?
    Thank godness, i thought I was the only one to think this. Is the actor doing any movies right now? Is she pregant so they can't show her on screen as much?