Glee Forums

FOX (ended 2015)

The Role You Were Born to Play (Episode 4X05)

irehawk20

[1]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 9

We won't be seeing this episode until November 2012 due to the World Series scheduling.

Please discuss this episode anyhow.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nerdnot

[2]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 14
    I'm betting 20 bucks that this episode will mostly focus on Finn and Mr. Shue.

AngelStefanik

[3]Oct 13, 2012
    • level: 1
    seriously? have to wait over a month for the new episode?.... not fair... who watches baseball anymore anyways?

irehawk20

[4]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 9

How many times do I have to repeat this?: We need more Tina doing lead solos, she's a good singer, but she has not been given more chances!

RacerX780

[5]Nov 9, 2012
    • level: 3

I really liked this episode... probably cause of the number of grads that were in it. It was almost like the old gang was back.

I haven't read about future episodes or anything... Not super happy with Mr. Shue leaving for a bit... but I like that Finn will be back.

MrCellophane1

[6]Nov 11, 2012
    • level: 7

I thought it was pretty good. The Blaine/Kurt stuff dominated a little too much of the beginning, but thankfully, it passed quickly and the episode started to pick up after that.

About the only bad thing I can say is that the old high school kids returning seemed pointless. I mean, they graduated and to me, if they graduated, then that should mean that they should maybe not return to their past? I dunno, there's just something about that where it rubs me the wrong way.

I did like Finn's speech to Sue Sylvester. It was nowhere near as emotionally powerful as when Burt chewed out Finn for calling his son a f a g back in season 1, but it was reasonablysatisfying. I hope it leads somewhere.

Will quitting was a subject that's been going around since the pilot, but it's refreshing to see it being taken seriously for once. Since the show seems largely kid focused now, Will's been kind of a non-factor. I'm not too crazy with having Finn as his replacement, though. We'll have to see how that goes.

Anyway, in the spirit of the show taking place in a high school, I will now give a letter grade...

GRADE: B

DocKev

[7]Nov 13, 2012
    • level: 3
    irehawk20 wrote:

How many times do I have to repeat this?: We need more Tina doing lead solos, she's a good singer, but she has not been given more chances!

I totally agree with Irehawk. At the end of last season, the writers had Rachel pretty much endorse Tina as the next "lead" singer for New Directions. Then the writers showed Tina battling with Wade, Blaine & Brittany to be the "new Rachel" for this season. Now, the writers have Tina NOT auditioning for the school musical, let alone for the lead role (how very UN-Rachel-esque is that?). In addition, the three others who battled it out in episode 1 of this season to be the new "star" of the Glee club ALL went for secondary or minor roles in the musical. Holy self-deprecating talent Batman! Yet another case of the writers completely forgetting what they've written in the past, even if it was only 3 to 5 episodes ago!