Aired Friday 8:00 PM May 22, 2012 on FOX

• Bittersweet

(Spoilers ahead).

If there's one thing that Glee can do (and the list of things they can;t, shouldn;t, and try and fail miserably is very long) one thing Glee can do is deliver a kickass season (series?) finale. This episode, while it had those few moments that every Glee episode has that make absolutely no sense, tied almost everything together and served as not only a season finale, but a good series finale as well.

I know that glee is having a season 4 but to say the least, it won't be the same. First off, this episode had all the earmarks of a season finale; namely, they recreated things they did the pilot/first few episodes. First, Will sees Rachel, Mercedes, Tina, Kurt and Artie singing "Sit Down, you're Rocking the Boat." The first song the glee club ever sang together. He flashes back to the pilot when they sang it, after which Rachel declared "we suck" and buried her face in her hands, but this time, they sang it to the rest of the club who applauded them. Then the big kahuna, Burt Hummel tells his son to come to the auditorium for his graduation present. And instead of delivering another tear-inducing speech, what does the greatest TV dad since Alan Matthews do? He does the single ladies dance with Tina and Brittany, just like he caught Kurt doing three years ago. If nothing else, Glee gave us Burt Hummel, and even though he's a background charatcer and a dad, he's something special.

Next, secrets were revealed. It's not a big deal, but something that never cam out before was that Will used pot that he bought to blackmail Finn into joining glee. And in this episode, Will tells him this. I honestly thought Finn was going to flip out, but he responded with "You're even cooler than I thought!"

Lastly, they tied up (mostly) loose ends. I don't think anyone is surprised that Brittany isn;t graduating (I mean, seriously? It would've been harder to believe if she had). And fully able bodied-Quinn is off to Yale, Mercedes miraculously got a job in LA as a back-up singer, Santana got her mom's blessing to do whatever she wants to do, Rachel got into NYADA, and Kurt.. didn't. That is honestly the biggest surprise in this episode and possibly in the history of Glee. How did Kurt not get in? Carmen whatsherface told him she was impressed, whereas she told Rachel to stop stalking her. The biggest blow Glee delivered is the fact that Kurt didn't get in.

And neither did Finn at the actor's studio. Although that wasn't such a big surprise. Devastating, but not a big surprise.

Now we get into the murky territory of Glee. After Finn doesn't get in, he decides to join the army. But wouldn't his mom have a problem with this? I mean six months ago when Finn wanted to join the army she called intervention and now, when he knows the truth about his dad and is going, nothing?

And then there's the big one, the last few minutes of Glee. Rachel thinks she and Finn are going...somewhere, its not clear. But instead he takes her to the train station and lays this on her in the course of two minutes: you're to new york, early, by yourself, and I'm joining the army. And we're breaking up. I understand what Glee was trying to do but I think it was awful for him to lay that all on her in so little time. I mean, she didn't get to say goodbye to her parents or house or anything! the glee kids were all there and I know theyre each other's "family" but still, shouldn't she say goodbye to her parents?

So she gets on the train and goes to New York and thats where it ends. And I'm happy that she got there. A little confused by how it ended with Finn, but I'm glad she got to New York. I'm glad they didnt get married I did think they would still stay together. Rachel and Finn's relationship for the most part was a good one during season 3, which was good considering that reputed prick Ryan Murphy said he was going to leave Rachel and Finn together "for most of season 2" then promptly broke them up in the seventh episode and treated us to another whole year of "we love each other, but we can;t be together! oh, the humanity!" But they thrived throughout season 3.

Another reason why I'm looking at this like a series finale is that everyone is being scattered. Rachel and Santana will be in New York, Quinn will be in Connecticut, Mercedes in La, Finn in Georgia. I hope Puck goes to start his pool cleaning business in L.A. (I'm so glad they had him graduate! If they didnt, I might've put my foot through the TV) and we don't know where Kurt is headed. But they're all going different places. And in shows like this, like gossip girl or 90210 or gilmore girls, even if the characters have dreams of going elsewhere at the beginning of the show, through gambits and bamboozles and flimflams they all end up going somewhere where they can be close enough the show can continue. So it is an unusual approach that Glee had most everyone's dreams come true so they can leave Lima. But what does that mean for the show?

I've said it before on numerous occasions, but glee is not degrassi. They can't just bring in a new crop of kids and expect the show to still work. Yes half of the old kids will be there but it still won't be the same. Even in degrassi the originals were there for like seven years before they went to college, and even then, they were still together so we still saw them. But in glee I just can't fathom how it will work.

I don't know if I will watch next year, I might take Finn's advice and "surrender" so that Glee could go out like this. Because if it did, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world; some characters got what they wanted, some didn't, some don't know where they;re headed. All the things a series finale should be.