Glee

I Am Unicorn

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 27, 2011 on FOX

7.4
  • Brittany and her unicorn head gear...love it!

More of Brittany is ALWAYS a plus in my books, as she's the reason I watch. She never fails to make me laugh/smile. I love her innocence, but at the same time I don't think shes actually stupid, she has her ideas on how things are, and her explanation of ultimately summing up that she thinks Kurt is magical is sweet.

Although deciding to run against Kurt in the end I do still think that Brittany is the purest/sweetest character, easily misguided by ppl, very trusting, but just all around as sweet as anything. She's made it obvious many times that she thinks the world of Kurt, so her running against him is not an attempt to hurt him, it was more of an inspiration from Santana. Spking of which I loved the Santana/Brittany scene, we don't get enough of them, and when it comes to Santana I find that Brittany is her saving grace, because she is a character I'd normally hate in a series, but I always found it so interesting how she is so nasty to everyone, but yet shes BFF's with the schools most truly clueless person. It always makes me wonder how that friendship even began, she must have just unknowingly fallen in love with Brittany straight off to be able to be Santana the worlds biggest bitch, but to never be bitchy to Brittany, haha, either way it adds layers to Santana's personality, making her a very complicated person...yet only enjoyable to me when shes with Brittany

The whole NYADA story is so overplayed, its the only convo that Rachel and Kurt ever really have. Puck was sweet, he's really showing a deep side to himself when it comes to his daughter, although I dont understand why this story has to play out at all. I often find them playing the ambitious sides of kurt and rachel annoying, because it ends in them just having repetative conversations about NYADA and winning roles etc....b-o-r-i-n-g
  • Another media-core episode of glee. When will things ever pick up?

Kurt:Repeativestoryline. Hewantsa lead that isn't suitable for him,rememberwhen he and Rachel had a sing-off in Season 1? They are ruining hischaracter by gibing him stupid storylines. Wake-up!

Shelby: Boring. I hated the fact she justwalkedinto the teachersstaff-roomand made herself coffee. Hello, Rachel (her daughter, who she gave up foradoption) and Quinn (her adopted child's real mother) both attend the school.Wouldn'tyou think she would tell them first?

Rachel: Floating in the backround as usual.

Finn: :P

BrittanyandSantana: They only had one scene in this episode. Forget thestupidRachel and Finn'sromance.Brittany and Santana are so cutetogetheron screen. More screen time and goodstorytelling.

Becky: She alwaysbringsasmileto my face. Her quick one liners always get me. Love mesomeBecky.

The others: blah, the ruined the rest the previous season.EspeciallySue.

• Where has the Glee I love gone?

This episode got a 5 because of Lea and Idina's duet otherwise it would have been a 1!!

I had to fast forward through Kurt (Chris) and Blaine's (Darren) songs, they were awful - not the singing but the songs!! I don't watch Glee to see all these horrible Broadway numbers, I watch it to see new or classic songs done with a Glee twist.

I'm hoping and praying that Kurt gets to sing the types of songs that he excels at (IMO). Blackbird and I Want To Hold Your Hand brought tears to my eyes but the Broadway numbers leave me cold.

I'm probably not the demographic the show is aimed at (almost 40, ugh!) but if the show is aimed at the younger generations surely the majority would be as unimpressed with the Broadway numbers as I am.

Bring back the rock ballards and duets and leave Kurt and Blaine's relationship alone!! I'm only sticking in there as I loved Damien from The Glee Project and can't wait to see him on the show.

I record the show for my friend (she is out when it screens) and this week when she asked me if it was a good episode I had to reply honestly, no it wasn't! Fingers crossed the next episode is better (I don't think it could be any worse).

P.S: Please ask the costume designers to find some socks for Blaine!!! For some reason I find it really gross that he never seems to have any on and bow ties on t-shirts? Really?

• Can a Gleek become un-Gleeked? This season is proving the answer to the question.

5.5

What was the point of this episode?

The unicorn was used as a metaphor for a fictional, magical creature. Of course so is a "fairy" - how long will it take Ryan Murphy to roll out that h8? Love Idina Menzel, but as a French substitute, alternative Glee coach of Sugar, and surrogate om of Quinn and Puck's baby it's just too much.

All the music was West Side Story, which MHS is doing as its SR musical, but if I wanted to see WSS I would Netflix it.

Hmmm. Let's guess what's going to happen - Blaine is cast as Tony and Kurt is cast as Maria in a 2011, gay friendly version of the musical. This is SO obvious.

Quinn is now faking her old self to get her baby back?

Sue is still on this stupid "anti-Arts" campaign and is winning?

Enough. You lost me.

• so so so

This episode is a bit boring. Story line is boring. It was nice that it looks like Brittany was supporting Kurt (which means she is starting to have a heart though still low in brain) but in the end she decided to run against him? So she goes back to having no heart and well, no brain.. It looks like the writers had no other good storyline in mind. No new things coming out from the writers. Sue still hates Glee Club. The only thing new here is Puck manning up which is nice.

• Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Spoilers ahead

I realize that not everyone was as nuts about the latest eppy of Glee as I am, saying it;s more of the same but I thought it was sensational, like close to season 1 sensational. Starting at the top:

Puck. He showed more depth and character development in this episode than in all of season 2. How he goes over to see his daughter and brings her a picture and puts it on the fridge. How he hesitates to hold her. How he is straight with Quinn ("I don't care about you. I care about her.") and tells her he doesn't want Beth growing up maladjusted because she doesn't know her parents. His storyline alone had me seriously impressed.

Quinn. I generally cannot stand the girl and this episode was almost no exception. First she's off being a skank and when Shelby tells her she can't see Beth until she stops her current behavior she screams that she's Beth's mom! In the biological sense but Shelby has been raising the baby you chose to give up. And she didn't have to let Quinn and Puck be a part of their child's life, she's doing that for the child and out of kindness (a foreign idea to Quinn). Then Sue convinces her to let her be her poster child for the arts ruining her life and she storms in and yells at Mr. Shue but he's not the same wussy he was last season. He yells back that she has done nothing but sabotage the club that did nothing but stand by her when she got pregnant, kicked out, Mercedes let her move in with her, for gods' sake! He tells her sooner or later she'll have to stop playing the victim and grow up. Knowing everything he said is true (which is totally is) Quinn silently walks out. The one moment I felt bad for her was when Shelby showed her a picture of Beth in Puck's lap (yay Puck!) she breaks down in tears. But that feeling for Quinn was gone when she walked into glee looking normal, but told Puck only because she wanted full custody of Beth. What court is awarding custody to yes, the birth mother who's still in high school and has a Ryan Seacrest tattoo? And again I say where is this girl's parents???

Kurt. Call me naive, but I think this was an interesting storyline and brings up a good point. Unless you're Neil Patrick Harris, it's hard to see a known gay man in a straight role. I am really curious to see where they take this storyline.

Brittana. Brittany is mananging Kurt's campaign and when he doesn't like the direction he took it, Santana tells her that she is the true unicorn. These two have the sweetest bond, whether they're together romantically or not.

Finn/Rachel. Their moments, while small in this episode were exactly what they should be: they talked about real stuff and off-the-charts-adorable. Finn's working on a car in Burt's shop as Rachel hands him tools and she talks about her audition and hopefully mentions he could audition for the show too. He tells her that he's thinking he might just stay and work at Burt's shop because he can't even nail the dance moves and Rachel insists he can do better. She knows he can. He smiles and calls her the "best girlfriend ever." They had a serious talk and managed to be completely adorable at the same time without dominating the episode. aka, what should;ve happened in season 2.

Burt. Undoubtedly the best TV dad since Tim Taylor or Alan Matthews, he reminds Kurt he is the way he is for a reason and that a unicorn without a horn is just a horse.

Blaine. Darren Criss is truly something magical (yes I know he played Harry Potter) and his performance is breathtaking. While he would make the perfect Tony, would he take that from Kurt?

I loved this episode of Glee, and I think it's twice as good as the premiere. Can't wait for next week!

• Personality Crisis: Got it while it was hot

"Re-inventing onesself" was the loose theme this week. Quinn makes herself over into mother material. Artie steps up (pardon the bad pun) as director. Will Schuester begins to play the stern taskmaster. Finn learns to dance (well, as much as Cory Monteith can allow). And both Kurt and Brittany own their "unicorn" identity.

Well, let's start there. Two seasons of Kurt getting comfortable with his identity were not enough, so now they've got the Kurt-as-sissy episode to add to the Kurt-is-gay and Kurt-is-proud and Kurt-is-not-about-to-be-bullied and Kurt-is-loved stories. I've got nothing but praise for Chris Colfer (and his acrobatic rendition of "Greatest Star"), but this ground hasn't just been covered; it's been paved, and had yellow stripes painted on it. We'll soon get a Kurt-as-jealous-of-boyfriend storyline, which is new for the character, but it's a sitcom done-to-death trope that I doubt they'll add anything fresh to.

(And having the casting committee giggle during Kurt's re-audition from Romeo and Juliet ... I wasn't feeling it. Kurt's girlish reading of florid prose was not the jarring effect they were going for. A scene from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof would have been more like it.)

Idina Menzel is back! To prove the new ground she is capable of covering, they have her ... share a duet with Lea Michele. Fresh. They nailed the song, but that's expected. And done before.

And Darren Cris also nailed his audition number, "Something's Coming". Good for him. It's too bad that great musical performances evoke nothing more than a "Good as ever" from me. It's the Bollywood strategy of relying on the musical numbers to save a weak story. But the musical numbers are the safety net so far this season. The material is too safe, the delivery too expected.

They didn't play it safe by having the Skanks actually dunk a girl's head in the toilet; that's some serious Bad Girls' Club action. But the Skanks will be forgotten in ... oh, probably immediately, now that they serve no purpose to Quinn's character. Her upbraiding by Schuester (good speech!), Puck and Shelby made that storyline obsolete. And now we're about to get Quinn fighting for full custody, a plotline that no one should take seriously, but shall no doubt play out for a few gruelling weeks.

In other little developments, Finn gets to question whether he really wants to be a perfomer (done), Burt gets to be Mr. Awesomely-Honest Dad (done) and Sue Sylvester gets to be mean (done to the point of Jane Lynch-on-autopilot). There were a few stinging one-liners ("You look like a Real Housewife of Reno!"). But overall, the episode was tried and tired, an entertainment that passed sixty agreeable minutes, then forgotten.

• Yes, Glee is back to where it was before...

***SPOILERS***

First of all, let me just say that I loved last weeks season premiere, but I almost hated this episode.

The positive:
    - I liked the return of Shelby. Idina is a very likeable actress and I liked how she offered Puck and Quinn to be involved in Beth's life.
    - I thought Dianna played Quinn really well in this episode, and I liked where Quinn was going, well until the end...
    - I like that Mike is sort of involved in a storyline and so is Emma.

The negative:
    - Rachel is getting more and more annoying, they really need to stop it as I personally already despise her character. Also I thought that her and Shelby parted on good terms, yet in this episode it didn't seem that way.
    - The Sue storyline is ridiculous in my opinion, especially that she has so many followers, as if so many people despised the art.
    - Well, Tina still has nothing to do, why is she even a regular?
    - The Kurt/Blaine ''conflict'' about playing Tony in West Side Story was unnecessary, so much for them loving each other.
    - All the characters are getting more and more self-centered.
    - The most unnecessary storyline was the one where Quinn decided to get full custody of Beth, nice move Quinn, makes people like you even more.

All in all, a complete backstep from last week's episode. I'm not excited for next week, yet I know I'll tune in.

Now to the musical performances, which actually were all from musicals, so not really my cup of tea, so I'm just gonna grade the performances, not the songs:

- Somwhere by Rachel & Shelby = A- (Great Singers)
    - I'm the Greatest Star by Kurt = B- (It was okay)
    - Something's Coming by Blaine = B+ (I really like Darren's voice, he is a great performer)

FOX