Glee

Makeover

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 27, 2012 on FOX

• Exists in that magical dimension where anything is possible

(Spoilers ahead).

Glee is proof that if nothing else when you start off the year really strong, it gives you a hell of a long way to fall. Which Glee continues to do.

I'm sorry, not all of it was bad. I liked the Rachel stuff, but a very wise woman once said the very beginning is a very good place to start, so that;s what I'm gonna do.

Blaine is filling his time with extracurriculars to avoid the fact Kurt isn;t around. He gets the idea to run for student council president against Brittany, which brings me to my first problem with this episode. I don't know if it;s just that in the third year the joke has worn thin or if it;s the writing these days, but the Brittany is dumb isn;t funny anymore, it;s just kind of pathetic. It's like when people pull an elaborate prank on a friend of theirs and everyone thinks it;ll be really funny until someone notices the person is actually crying, and everyone just mumbles "It was supposed to be funny..." That's what watching Brittany was like this episode; sad and uncomfortable to watch. It seems to be the writers; way of pretending that season 2 doesn;t exist, except for it gave us Blaine and Sam, but Brittany still thinking Artie is a robot and not remembering her and Artie actually had a relationship is just awful, and don;t even mention her introducing Blaine to Sam. Sam and Blaine were really the only things worth watching this episode for, along with Rachel. The most unwatchable thing was Kurt.

First this brings me back to when I actually could not stand Kurt;s character. This first came about in season 2 when he would attack his dad for something or other and it;s like, Kurt? Your dad loves you. He has already accepted you. Martyring yourself at school you have a leg to stand on but to your father? Not okay. And in this episode I couldn't stop thinking Kurt is the worst boyfriend ever! This episode when he and Blaine are talking he can;t stop talking about himself and the minute the conversation switched to Blaine he loses interest. When Kurt ignores his call after he wins the election, Blaine realizes he madeover his life for Kurt and Kurt in return flirted with somebody else and then abandoned Blaine for his glitzy new face right after he promised Blaine that wouldn't happen.

The other thing although this has less to do with Kurt and more to do with how the show is set up is that much like he and Rachel's place, he immediately gets the first job he tries for and his boss loves him and makes a music video with him and Rachel in the middle of the night after she catches them breaking into her office. This worries me because although they really really shouldn't, young kids watch Glee, and it is not sending the right message with this. Much like how Glee is the high school experience Ryan Murphy had, the glee version of the big apple is only found in that "magical dimension where anything is possible" (Artie's description of Brittany;s world). In glee NYC, jobs are incredibly easy to come by, as giant lofts which you can get when you just graduated high school never having worked a day in your life because money grows on trees and it;s just so dandy! the reason the song says "if I can make it there, I can make it anywhere" is because making it in New York is supposed to be hard. People in that city have a reputation for being tougher and meaner and things do not just fall into your lap! For one, how are Rachel and Kurt affording that loft, exactly? $1800 a month is not cheap, unless you;re splitting it with three other roommates but if you;re splitting it with one, that;s $900 each. Rachel I could maybe justify because although they never said it, you got the feelings her dads had some money. But Kurt? Never worked a day in his life, had enough money for a week in a motel, thank the stars he got a job at a fashion magazine after being in the city five minutes! This sends the message that when you get out of high school with no work experience, you can go to New York and everything you;ve ever desired literally is thrown at you! Oh and New York is the only place in the entire country where different people are accepted, that is the other message everyone at Glee brings up every ten minutes. This may be news to Ryan Murphy, but there are other places in the country, some even in the midwest (*cough cough MADISON *cough cough*) where different people are accepted.

And in this week;s edition of why do the glee writers think no one notices their plot holes from week to week, if Jake is dating Kitty now, why was he at the debate with an arm around two different girls? Either make him a player or make him date the bitchy cheerleader. PICK ONE.

Also, Unique was not in this episode. And I did not miss him/her.

Finally, the Rachel stuff. After her makeover, her and Brody are hanging out and she tells him she wants to cook him dinner, which she fails miserably at and they end up eating pizza, followed by some serious making out and Finn showing up out of the blue after not writing or calling or sending up a smoke signal or talking to Rachel in any way shape or form for the last two months. I used to be a fan of Finchel, but honestly I can;t remember why. In this episode Rachel just looks like she has so much fun with Brody, and I can;t think of a single episode where Finchel had that effortless fun. And as Rachel admitted to Brody, she wasn;t used to making a guy dinner, she was used to chasing him for a year before he deigned to go out with her. And thinking back on it, even when they were together, Finn was always trying to change Rachel and make her into what he wanted whereas Brody looks at her like she;s an angel whenever she walks in the room. Rachel is seeing that Quinn (who no one seems to remember, along with Mercedes) was right, if Rachel really wants to start over, she needs to move on from Finn,

Next week everyone;s breaking up, for which I have too many opinions about to discuss in a review not actually about that episode, so we will have to wait and see.