Glee

Mattress

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Dec 02, 2009 on FOX

• Another great Glee episode. Less music and more drama was a welcome change, but the songs were still fantastic as usual.

This episode was a little different than the previous ones. First of all, it had less music and more drama-a welcome change at this point. (Don't get me wrong, though. The Glee cast is made up of extremely talented singers and actors). The major performance in this episode was one of my favorites-the Glee club jumping around on mattresses while singing their hearts out to the energetic song "Jump!" by Van Halen. It certainly fit the dance routine, that's for sure. The two other songs, both titled "Smile", were excellent choices, and the second one was an excellent accompaniment to the yearbook picture montage at the end. Also, you can't forget the revelation of a major secret that drove the plot line for some time in previous episodes-Terri's fake baby. I could feel the tension build up long before anyone knew what was going to happen-Will is a smart man, and him not knowing this vital piece of information any longer would make him seem like a buffoon for not noticing the obvious. I applaud Matthew Morrison and Jessalyn Gilsig for their amazing, emotional performance on screen. Even though this episode was one of my favorites, there was one thing I thought could be better. Hasn't Will been going off and leaving the kids on their own a lot? And doesn't it seem that the kids are more independent than they seem to be? In the pilot, Will said he was leaving, then walked in on his Glee club's upbeat rendition of "Don't stop Believing", their first major performance. In Acafellas, the Glee club went all out to hire a choreographer while Will was doing his own little thing with his group of a Capella singers. And now, he is dealing with some complex marital problems while the rest of the club is filming a commercial. And it's not just Will. The adults and the kids seem to have two whole different things going on. Other than a few lines of dialogue exchanged between kids and adults every so often, there is almost no interaction between these two groups. What I'm saying is that there could be a lot more. I loved this episode. There was the same amount of laughter and smiling, twice as much drama, and the song choices and performances were fantastic. I hope to see more episodes like it again-hopefully the episode after Sectionals will clear some things up and meet the high expectations this show has earned.
CW