Glee

Nationals

Aired Friday 8:00 PM May 15, 2012 on FOX

• Where does Glee go from here?

How are the show's writers supposed to follow this episode into the next season? Not that I'm complaining about the results, but now that the New Directions are no longer "losers" but winners, what purpose does "Glee" as a show really have? As a writer, I think it would have made more sense to have them come closer to their dream, maybe placing second, so that the group can try again next year. However, I do understand that since this is the original cast, it's more delicious for this group of kids be the group to win at Nationals.

That being said, where does the show go from here? The focus on Unique in this episode was surely to wet viewers' appetite for the next season. Is America ready to watch a transvestite sing the hell out of a song week after week? Perhaps, but I think the writer's should give us a little more of Unique's back story. What about her parents? I don't really see her as replacing Curt; I see her as replacing Curt and Mercedes. Perhaps she can be a star; we'll see.

Again, Rachel's solo with "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" successfully showed her ability to perform a song with varying moods, but the song had no significance for her as a character, so the performance for me wasn't so dramatic.

Musical highlights of the show for me included "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" -- I bet that left all the tweeners wondering where that song came from. Meatloaf who? "Starships" was nice. And ending the episode with "We Are the Champions" was highly appropriate. Which brings me to another point. Now that Will Schuster is happy and accepted as a great teacher, where does the show go from here?

The writers have some serious planning to do.