Glee

Pot O' Gold

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Nov 01, 2011 on FOX

7.6
  • More good than bad...

I love that they finally have let the viewers know that Brit/Satana are together cos that was just left unknown for the first three eps.

But onto the bad side..I know Santana is bitchy and manipulative, but I long for the day she stops manipulating Brittany when she wants things her way...I kinda understood when she told Brittany that being with her didnt mean she was cheating on a guy, as she wanted to be with Brittany but wasnt ready to admit it or to label herself as lesbian, but this manipulation was just annoying because she knew Brit loved New Directions, and thought of them as her family. I think its good Brittany stands up for herself against ppl who call her stupid, but the fact that she can't tell Santana to stop being worse to others is ridiculous, they are her friends she needs to at some point tell Santana to seriously stop, as she tells Finn off for being a bully, when the girl shes dating is the biggest one of them all...I do love Brittana though haha I just dont always get the logic, as Brittany is a sweet girl...just clueless

The Troubletones thing is stupid although I get them wanting to shine, its clear they're missing each other straight away, although Santana won't admit it. This is repetative, where members keep leaving and returning, I don't think there's anyone who hasn't at some point quit...mostly more than once. It gets boring. Quinn is sickening, Puck getting with Rachels mom, eww wrong just wrong!
  • The Good: Music that is NOT associated with West Side Story. A new character. Someone challenging Sue. The Bad: Burt as a Congressional candidate. Mercedes, Santana and Brittany's "defection". The "Troubletones". Puck and Shelby???

Great that (some) of the music is back. "Friday Night" was cute.
    Loved the number about "Being Green" - the new guy is very refreshing.
    Puck's tribute to his daughter was charming. It's terrific that someone is
    going after Sue.

Now...the whole Leprechaun thing was just DUMB! Come on Ryan stop
    playing to the lowest common denominator. Brittany isn't (as she
    showed so well at the end of the episode, and contrary to Finn's
    opinion) an idiot. Knock it off with the "dumb blonde" thing. It's done.
    As likable as Burt is he's as dumb as a bag of rocks and to think that he
    is going to run for Congress (while well intentioned) is moronic. Again,
    Ryan, stop playing your audience for fools.

Contrary to their protestations neither Mercedes, Santana, nor Brittany
    want to leave New Directions. We get it that in the end they'll come to
    their senses and Mr. Shu will be more fair in doling out solos. To devote
    a number to the "Troubletones" (which was really good) was ridiculous.
    (Um. where did the backup singers/dancers come from - the
    Leprechaun's magic bag?).

Finally, the Puck/Shelby thing. OMG! Is she that desperate that she's
    going after a high school "pool boy". Really? Why does Ryan Murphy
    think ANYONE would believe this would happen. Oh wait...Figgins finds
    out. Shelby gets fired. The "Troubletones" are disbanded. The girls
    come back to the fold, with the addition of Sugar who, OH NO!, can sing
    (and REALLY WELL!). Then on to Sectionals, Nationals, and a win!

See now we don't have to watch the rest of the season.

• The magic is not back.

There was very little to like in this episode, and even less to get exercised about.

First, we had a huge chunk of this episode devoted to the Irish kid. I could not remember his name (turns out it's Rory), and that is directly related to how interesting the character is. So far, he's not; he's just a face from Lisa's Simpson's favorite magazine, Non-Threatening Boys. He got two uninspired songs and added nothing to them. His predicament -- being the new kid -- was also a yawn.

Sue Sylvester's tirades have become so commonplace that the other characters have actually started to laugh them off (which, frankly, is a credible and overdue development). So now Bert Hummel is a write-in candidate for national office, with Will Schuester as his Lady MacBeth. Not very engaging; it's a poor use of good characters.

For poor use of middling characters, there's Quinn vs. Shelby. Sorry, but in an effective throwdown, one has to at least credibly see the position of either side. And Quinn wanting her baby back is not credible: if you love your baby, you want what's best for her, and the case for having the baby raised by unwed, underemployed teenagers has not been laid out. That position is such a tough sell, it's no wonder they haven't even tried to state it.

Faced with diminished ranks, the New Directions found their salvation when Blaine announced that he was going to sing a song expressing the feelings of the club. Oh, groan. Another pointless and baseless injection of fake energy, accompanied by fake youthful exuberance from the Glee Standard Operating Procedure Manual. Enough already. This is ALL that Darren Criss ever gets to do. Watching this number, I was with Santana, whose butt never left her chair and whose expression just said, "What the f*** are you posers DOING??!"

The high point was the competing show choir doing a tight, charged number from (or in the style of) The Andrews Sisters. Fun! Sadly, it makes me hope that the schism in the show choir remains permanent, if it results in numbers like this. It also says something if the highlight of the show is done entirely in 1940's style; it implies that nothing is new.

More about the schism: It is being implied now that the trouble was that Schuester was working the kids too hard. Bad news. First, it may signal a retreat from Hard-Driven Schu, a character I rather like. And it cheats by NOT showing Shelby working her girl choir. There is a history of Shelby hard-driving her championship show choir, and we're getting none of that. It's a cheat.

Other little cheats: A $2000 budget shortfall for New Directions in the same episode with lavish costumes and staging for Shelby's show choir and Sylvester's own lavish budget: makes that crisis a fake crisis. And Puck referencing his nipple ring while working shirtless and obviously not pierced; c'mon, CGI it in if you have to.

So, the tally: musical numbers ranging from (1) great to (3) dull, no real laughs, and a smidge of character development in an episode dominated by a dull new addition. Not firing on all cylindars like it was a month ago.

• Every time you watch any episode of television, you have to agree to go along with some of the stupid things that episode of television asks you to accept.

It's called suspension of disbelief, of course, and every work of fiction ever has had to utilize it to one degree or another. This is particularly true for Glee, a show where the very enjoyment of same usually has to involve accepting that reality just works differently in the show's universe, and if Ryan Murphy says that gravity in that world actually repels smaller bodies from larger ones, well, then I'm willing to go along with the idea that the only thing that keeps the characters attached to the Earth is a secret anti-gravity machine Figgins has installed in the basement. To that end, I'm willing to go along with the idea that Brittany believes in leprechauns, that Puck continues with his pool cleaning service and it's apparently successful, that Burt's going to dive into a Congressional race without a second thought, and that the proud parents of a faux-autistic student would essentially buy another glee club for their daughter, a second glee club that would somehow lure Mercedes, Santana, and Brittany to join it. I will accept this because it put the girls in bright blue costumes, and like a small child, I love vibrant colors.

But there are places I draw the line, even with this show, and one of them is the idea that Quinn's behavior in re: getting her baby back is supposed to be somehow heartwarming or an intriguing expression of her character. I've said this many times in these reviews before, but I, myself, am adopted, and that means the show is able to get me readily with the "Rachel meets her birth mom" stuff, but it also has a harder time sneaking this business about Shelby bringing her daughter back into the lives of her biological parents in there. So I may be slightly unfair to this whole ordeal. All the same, the idea that Shelby would leave Beth with Puck and Quinn for the night, while patently ridiculous, is exactly the sort of horsecrap I'm prepared to swallow to enjoy this particular television program. The idea that Quinn is going to leave a bunch of potentially damagingcrap laying around Shelby's apartment for Child Protective Services—who are going to wait two weeks to check in on a woman who may be planning to sacrifice her child, according to their report, I would assume, because of a backlog—to find is a move that takes a potentially good character, played by a fine actress, and just guts her. There's no way back out of this. She's being an awful person for entirely selfish reasons.

Look at it this way: Indiana Jones can outrun a boulder. The Millennium Falcon can outrun the explosion of the Death Star. But Indiana Jones can't outrun the explosion of the Death Star. Similarly, Santana can do very bad things to break up the glee club and win Brittany all to herself—up to and including abusing the new Irish exchange student's Irishness—but because the stakes here are relatively small, all things considered, it doesn't make us hate Santana. Instead, it's an interesting expression of how far she's willing to go to get what she wants. Similarly, Burt Hummel can embark upon a Congressional race entirely to protect his own son and the things he loves, but because he's doing it from a place that's pure of heart and in keeping with who he was, it feels like something that expresses new facets of his character and like he's someone worth rooting for.

Much harder to do is having someone do something both terrible and huge. Terrible and tiny? OK. Benevolent and huge? Sure. Benevolent and tiny? Yep. But terrible and huge is hard to walk back from. Even when Friday Night Lights' Landry killed a dude in a way that was entirely keeping with his character, it took the show essentially abandoning the plotline entirely to recover itself from the weirdness of the situation. And Landry was basically a good kid who accidentally killed a guy for mostly non-evil reasons. Glee's tap dancing like crazy to say, "Hey, Quinn's doing this because she's really sad about giving up her baby, the one perfect thing she could never screw up!" all the while ignoring that if she gets her kid back from her mother, that's exactly the sort of life path that would end up traumatizing the kid. Worse, I kind of expect she's going to get away with it, since CPS will almost certainly show up when Shelby and Puck are in bed together or something.

It's hard to explain just how much I hate this storyline, just how much I wish it would go away and stop ruining a character I rather like. Yes, I think that it's valuable to consider how having a baby and giving it up has changed Quinn. Yes, there's probably a way to do this by bringing the baby back in for Quinn to see and coo over. But Beth, instead of being an important character moment for both Shelby and Quinn, has been reduced to, essentially, a baby prop, a way to give both women something to want and a normal life for the even-more-oddly-haired Puck to lust after. Even that might not be so bad if the show were really willing to commit to the gravity and seriousness of Quinn's actions, instead of just acting like it's another "wacky" comedy beat. But, no. The goofy music is playing as she does all of this, followed by the treacly "you should cry now" music when she has her monologue about how she needs something perfect in her life. And then she's singing "Last Friday Night" with the other glee kids. Ugh.

Letting complex characters do bad things is, of course, a hallmark of our modern era of television, and it plays out across all genres and networks, as show creators realize that we don't always have to find characters admirable to find them likable. But Quinn—for all the show's stabs at making her so this season—is far from complex, and the show doesn't ever trust us to parse all of this out on our own. It doesn't treat any of this with the seriousness it deserves, nor does it let us make our own decisions about her behavior, always coming in with the score to let us know that what we're watching isn't something we should be all that worried about. C'mon. Teenage birth mothers always try to get back their children via wacky, corrupt schemes!

If there's another plot that's trying my believability meter this season, it's the candidacy of one Sue Sylvester, who's riding a platform of incoherent rage to prominence. Now, I hear you saying, "How's that unbelievable?" And, yeah, there are plenty of real world examples of that just recently. But the idea that Sue's personal vendetta against the glee club would somehow become this big of a deal, that her private smackdowns of Burt wouldn't end up on YouTube somehow, that everything she's doing wouldn't ultimately disqualify her from the race on terms of general incompetence is just a step too far. Granted, it's a fine time to be cynical about politics, if you skew that way, baby, but this is one place where the show's satire seems particularly formless. I like the idea of Burt running against her, and I like the idea of the show pitting its most purely heroic figure against its most purely villainous, but at some point, you have to say, "C'mon."

We also got to meet the Irish exchange student Rory, who's the latest target for the random animosity of the popular kids of McKinley High. As mentioned, I didn't mind that Brittany decided he was a leprechaun, and I actually found his attempts to woo her via lying about his magic oddly charming. Apparently, he's one of the people who won on The Glee Project over the summer, so maybe there was somebody out there who was really excited to see him debut. But at the same time, I was kind of impressed with the way the show just dumped him in there in the very first scene, without really explaining who he was. On the other hand, tossing "Being Green" at him for his first song was a little easy, and I'm really tired of people just randomly getting shoved around for no real reason. The show's antagonists increasingly feel like complete cartoons, instead of just semi-cartoons, and that robs the show of a lot of its immediacy. Still, he can sing, so he's in the glee club. Rachel even called him, "magical," and she doesn't say that about just anyone.

There was, honestly, a whole bunch of other stuff going on in this episode, to the point where it felt like a mid-season two episode with its lack of focus. And while I liked some of it—again, anything involving Brittany was pretty good—the show's become so obsessed with the idea of whether the group at its center will stand strong together or fall apart divided that the storyline of the glee club coming apart at the seams—facilitated by Santana—has already stopped being interesting just four episodes into the season. In general, I like scheming Santana, and I like seeing Finn try out his own brand of dopey heroism, but the show's reduced them both to such bland, boring polar opposites that it's hard to remember just why we liked these characters in the first place. "Pot Of Gold" is an episode that tries a lot of things, but it's in that hyperactive, hyped-up mode that Glee doesn't always nail, and this episode just produced too many duds.

• Oh, boy.

(Spoilers ahead)

You know, I can't decide if I liked or hated this episode of Glee. Probably because I liked and hated different parts of the episode.

In fact I liked and hated different halves of the same storyline: the Quinn/Puck/Shelby storyline. I think they've officially started to cross the line with Quinn and I don't understand why they've made her into such an unlikable character. There was a time where I liked Quinn, during Season 1 when she was a good girl who was bored with her life and made some mistakes. But now she's planting stuff in Shelby's house to get Beth taken away so Quinn can have her because "she's the one perfect thing in my life that I can't screw up" not realizing if Quinn got ahold of her, that would screw her up. If they do make it so Quinn gets the baby, like Child Protective Services comes when Shelby and Puck are in a compromising position, that might be the last straw for me on Glee.

I actually liked part of this storyline, though; the Puck part. Puck is an absolute doll with his daughter, like he still cleans pools for MILFS, but now he chases them away by showing them pictures of his baby girl. And while he wants Beth back, he doesn't want to screw Shelby over to do it. And in a really weird way, him and Shelby make sense, because Shelby says all she wants is to look across her table and see someone who loves Beth as much as she does and that's Puck. It's still weird but in terms of Glee, it could be a lot worse... and will probably get a lot worse.

The other plots in the episode were kind of eh to me. I have never watched the glee project so I thought the Irish kid was cute I didn't find him "magical." True magic can be found in Blaine, aka Darren Criss. Right now, he is the shining star of Glee as it is impossible not to smile ridiculously whenever he does a number or really anything, the boy has something special about him. It does make sense for Finn to be jealous of him, because Finn is having a hard enough time getting people to listen to him and Blaine's leadership skills are effortless, despite the fact he doesn;t tower over everybody else.

I think that last week Mercedes was a total brat and I didn't like what Santana was up to this week. For one, how was she in glee in the first place when Will kicked her out? Last week she's back in, no explanation and now she's back out. And she has the same problem as Mercedes; they dont get solos, no chance to shine, wah, wah, wah. Then she strides into Shelby's show choir and bullies Sugar into not having a voice. She may be an annoying and borderline offensive charatcer, but I felt bad for Sugar when Santana puppy-stomped on her.

The Burt running for congress against Sue was also a tad random because Glee has its ridiculous plots that ride roughshed because they;re in a high school setting. But you get actual politics that concern the nation involved? That's not good. Don't get me wrong, I love Burt Hummel and his "and that's how Burt sees it" was adorable, but it just seems like something Glee can't handle.

This wasn't the worst episode of Glee and there were some really great parts but there were some parts that were just.... oh, boy.

On another note, Rachel had like four lines this episode. What was that about?!

FOX