Glee

Sexy

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 08, 2011 on FOX

• Not even Apple's mom or Uncle Jesse could salvage this underwhelming episode...

Oh, Glee. Just when I was starting to sing you praises, you crank out another uneven installment. This episode benefitted from the return of Gwyneth Paltrow's Holly Holiday and John Stamos' Carl Howell, but not even Apple's mom or Uncle Jesse could salvage this middling entry in Glee's sophomore season.

The episode's tone felt off right from the start. Though it was nice to see Emma in an environment other than the teacher's lounge or her office, watching her as the new head of the Celibacy Club wasn't as fun as I hoped it would be. It felt like the writers had run out of jokes about the club before the title card even showed up and that's never a good sign. Thankfully, the show picked up some steam with the arrival of a certain substitute teacher…

That's right! Holly Holiday's back at McKinley High and this time she's filling in for the school's Sex Ed teacher ("Mad case of the Herp. Yikers!"). Gwyneth had no trouble resuming her role as the laid back instructor and Holly's exchanges with Will were a lot more comical than the Celibacy Club counting the minutes until their meeting was finished (even if Matthew Morrison was over dialing Schue's excitement to an annoying degree). Eventually, the discussion of how to explain sex to the students culminated in a fight between Emma, who supports abstinence, and Holly, who teaches safe sex. The two decide to behave like rational adults and have the kids in Glee Club decide which approach is better – through song of course.

The show took no time in throwing Gwyneth into a performance and while her rendition of "Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah)" wasn't as enjoyable as her covering Cee-Lo, it was one of the episode's better musical numbers. Santana, Brittany, and Holly's cover of "Landslide" resonated very well with me - maybe it was the simple acoustic accompaniment of Holly's guitar, but the sparse arrangement was a wonderful change of pace for a show that often relies on studio tricks and auto-tune to pack a punch.

I'm a little disappointed we were cheated out of the Celibacy Club's oblivious take on "Afternoon Delight" so quickly – I realize it was done for laughs but it almost felt like an "Eff You!" to underutilized singers like Quinn and Emma. And while I'm glad The Warblers are finally starting to sound like a group and not a one man showcase for Darren Criss, their version of "Animal" sounded like glorified karaoke to me. (Also, did anyone else think the number was a thinly veiled excuse for the show to rent out a garage and go crazy with production, rather than actually have it pertain to the storyline?) I'm not gonna lie, I laughed out loud during the beginning of Will and Holly's duet of "Kiss". Hearing Matthew Morrison try to mimic Prince's falsetto made for some great unintentional comedy. The song got better as it progressed, but I know which part I'll be revisiting when I'm in need of a pick-me-up.

In between all these music numbers we got to see Blaine being a putz (kind of), Puck and Lauren contemplate making a sex tape (probably one of the hour's best bits), a very honest discussion between Kurt and his dad (another highlight), an out-of-left-field jazzercise class (spandex galore!), character development and deterioration in the form of Santana and Quinn, respectively, and John Stamos in a sailor suit.

The more I think about it, I actually appreciated the scene between Blaine and Burt. At first I was annoyed with Blaine for over-involving himself in Kurt and his father's relationship, but the show addressed this, and I think this moment of earnest concern helps make up for some of Blaine's smarminess in other scenes.

What I did have a problem understanding was Kurt being so adamant against having the "talk" with Burt after just asking his father to educate himself on the matter two weeks ago. It made little sense to me, but once Burt was finally able to convince his belligerent son to sit down with him, the two had a very believable conversation together. Glee has always handled serious situations very spastically but the one dramatic aspect they seem to nail is the interactions between the Hummel men (and no, Finn doesn't count as one since he's never seen nor heard in the household).

We got some serious character development in the form of Santana. I think it was a refreshing change of pace for Naya Rivera, who, for the most part, is usually limited to playing the b*tch card in her scenes. Her confrontation with Brittany about her feelings for her felt genuine (although I couldn't help but think if Santana was truly concerned about her reputation, she wouldn't be having such a personal conversation in a crowded hallway). Nevertheless, it was a sweet moment for the character (up until the end) and I think it'll continue to be an intriguing storyline.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have Quinn's development being rapidly destroyed with each passing episode. I think since there's a revolving group of writers they want to take her character in different directions but right now it feels like they're negating the growth she displayed in the first season. She's been reduced to a vapid, dishonest girl concerned only with popularity and while these traits were never fully diminished they were certainly down-played over time not amplified. I almost expect Finn to knock her up so the return to her former self will come full circle.

Carl and Emma's visit with Holly was a funny exchange, but when Holly asked Emma if she still loved Will, Stamos' delivery of the line, "You know, I was thinking the same thing, but I was too afraid to ask her" felt way too nondescript. I thought he was gonna follow with, "No hard feelings. It's all good." I will say Dr. Holly was on fire when it came to doling out frank advice. "Girlfriend, what is up with that? He's Hot! You're 30." "My lips are sealed. Just like your legs."

Holly's exit from the school was a little bizarre, however. I figured she might get complaints for her method of teaching (either from Emma or a parent) but what high schooler still watches Veggie Tales?

Ultimately, I think this episode is the equivalent to last season's "Home" – a great guest star didn't fare quite as well upon return, the music selections were so-so for the most part, and the after school special vibe was in full effect.

Episode highlights:

• Brittany's Locker – Seeing the decorations within Brittany's locker was a nice treat - an MLK "I have a dream" motivator, her cover for Cheerleader magazine, and a wind chime of all things.

• Santana's Motormouth – Before you could say "word vomit", Santana managed to spread Brittany's false pregnancy to half of the Glee Club. For someone so afraid of gossip, Santana sure knows how to get news around quickly.

• "I look forward to the opportunity to nail her to the wall." – Yeah, it was in the preview, but hearing Emma utter this and Beiste's reaction didn't make it any less funny. Probably one of the best quotes of the night.

Let's hope the show can redeem itself with Regionals, although I can't help but feel the suspense factor will be lacking this time around. (If they're this early on, who do you think's going to win?)
MNT