Glee

The Break-Up

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 2012 on FOX

• Everyone graduated and things got weird

(Spoilers ahead)

This was a line of Brittany;s and describes this episode and the direction the season rather well. It's easiest to break down what happened into various couples:

Kurt and Blaine. Blaine starts this episode by pondering when sitting with Brittany and pondering when their relationships were fun and easy and Brittany in the only moment of the episode where I could stand her pointed out they;re young and their relationships should still be like that, he continues to miss Kurt. And he makes a surprise visit to New York and sings an emotional version of Teenage Dream, the first song he sang to Kurt. After this he reveals he cheated on Kurt. And while it sucks that Klaine is over, I understand why the writers did it. Despite the fact they act, dress, and in real life are much older than their characters, they are still petty high schoolers or just left but still act like petty high schoolers. And shows that are about high schooled aged kids or young adults and aren;t about actual adults, the relationships do not tend to last that long, and Kurt and Blaine have been together for over a year and a half, which is a pretty long time. Also, up until now, Darren Criss is such a delight to watch and Blaine is such a charmer and has such an energy that he has been the one person on Glee who is close to perfect, he;s always the wise one and the sweet one and sure he takes up a lot of the spotlight, but have you seen the boy? He has a right to. What Blaine did is not okay, but he;s a person and he made a mistake and he;s still in high school. And maybe now he can run into Sebastian at the Lima Bean and he can tell him about how he imploded his relationship and they can start hanging out (I want Sebastian to be in season 4, sue me).

Finn and Rachel: I'm sorry, it's really hard to be on Finn;s side in this. Yes, Rachel kissed Brody behind his back, BUT the end of season 3 seemed like a breakup to me, and not talking to her in any way, shape or form for months seemed to confirm that. And him showing up out of the blue is a little... out of the blue. And Finn basically makes her do a duet with Brody, only to find that yes, the two have incredibly chemistry, yes, Rachel has a great life going in New York and Finn really doesn;t fit in, and yes, he is kind of screwed. And at the end of the episode where they return to the spot where they met and kissed and he proposed Rachel brings up a very good point; no matter what she does, he;ll always look at her as the socially awkward girl in glee who terrified him when they first met whom he feels needs his permission on how to live her life. What it comes down to is Finchel is one of those relationships that really only works in high school, or about ten years after. But Rachel;s started a new chapter in her life that will most likely be the Brochel era.

Santana and Brittany:

This once again brings me to my point last year where the character of Brittany has run its course. The dumber than any dumb blonde you;ve ever met was funny for a while but now it;s just sad. When Santana visits, Brittany makes her feel terrible about now having time for her and tells Santana she left her behind. But Brittany did that to herself, by not graduating and acting like a four year old expecting Santana to give up her future for her. It's not Santana's fault that she;s doing something with her life and Brittany is stuck where she is (much like Finn and Rachel). Santana decides to end things because half of their relationship is in high school and it is hard and they won;t hold each other back. Santana specified it wasn;t a break up, but as Brittany said, it sure felt like one.

Will and Emma:

The one couple that I really don;t want to break up because they;re actually adults and their relationships deserves to be saved. They;re also the only couple which didn;t decidedly break up, they just had a big fight. Will gets the blue ribbon panel and expects Emma to go with him. Like Brittany, he expects Emma to drop her life for him and can;t understand why Emma won;t come with him when all he wants is to be with his fiance. That;s sweet Will, if you;re a policitician and your significant other doesn;t have a job, but as Emma points out, she has a job she loves and doesn;t want to wait in motels like a puppy for Will to come back. They had a fight and she walked out so hopefully their relationship can be saved.

Jake and Marley and Kitty:

I have to say, I was surprised that Jake and Kitty broke up already. Yes that was random and felt like the show was just doing it to do it but you;d think they;d want to get Kitty into the glee club somehow, and short of a lobotomy, dating Jake seems to be her way in. And being that they weren;t in last week;s episode, we never really saw them as a couple, so them being over already feels weird. Also in terms of the "rapture" thing, people forget Quinn was once president of the celibacy club which did odd dances with balloons, and Kitty;s thing just felt like that, only much much worse. They appear to be making Kitty an amalgam of Quinn and Santana, so lord help us one and all now that she has turned on Jake and Marley. That being said, those two are adorable and should get together soon.

Also, Santana;s jab at how easy Kurt got his job was well appreciated, it was like Glee saying "we know this show makes no logical sense anymore, but we appreciate you still watch it."

And in the how-stupid-do-the-writers-think-you-are entry for this week, pretty much everybody in this episode flew from New York to Ohio or back in this episode! It;s clearly been a long time since the glee writers flew coach, but how do these high school and just started college and drifting in life kids keep affording their flights?!

On another note, Finn did do some things right this episode. All of his scenes with Kurt were adorable, especially because at the beginning of the show Kurt stalked Finn and scared him and now they really do look at each other as brothers.

It was also sweet that Finn went to see and Will and made sense with the show, from when Finn went to Will and broke down thinking he got his girlfriend pregnant to going to him and breaking down because his life feels useless. Finn may be lost but he still has his Obi-Wan.

On another note it seems weird that Sam and Joe would be in Kitty;s club. Yes I get that they;re both religious, but Kitty;s club seems to be for fanatics or people who don;t know better and Joe may be the former but Sam doesn;t seem like he;d be either.

All in all, a game-changing episode of Glee and one that makes you nuts we have to wait another month to see what happens next.