Glee

The New Rachel

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 13, 2012 on FOX

• Enjoyed it more than I thought I would

(Spoilers ahead).

I was apprehensive to watch the premiere of Glee season 4, cause I was in the minority who thought they didn't need a season 4, because almost all the core members were graduating (they never made any mention that Tina and Artie were younger than everybody else the first year, they pulled that out of their asses so they could keep them around) but everybody scattered just couldn't work. But after the premiere, I was pleasantly surprised.

Everything with Rachel felt a little forced. The whole my-roommate-a-slut thing is such a cliche and as delightful as Kate Hudson is, I can;t see her being around for many more episodes. The meeting-a-boy-in-the-shower thing is also a bit of a cliche (did the writers just watch movies about college freshman for two days to write the rachel parts?) but Finchel is a ticking time bomb and I am for one am interested to see what happens after they officially break up.

Speaking of breakups, Tina was basically like "Yeah I broke up with Mike. Whatevs." I think the reason;s Tina;s not a bigger star is she;s a bit of a bitch (yes I know, who isn;t on glee) but I don't know, ever since they changed her character since season 1, it seems really weird the two relationships she;d had she ended herself.

But the main reason I loved this episode was the two new characters (notice I said two, not three) Jake Puckerman and Marley. Marley is just twelve ounces of adorable with a great voice and while I never minded Rachel, I think Marley will make an outstanding new Rachel.

I also am excited to see where the Puck's brother character goes, since the episode ended with him in the exact same way Puck ended the pilot, with him watching the glee club. I imagine he'll be in soon enough, I really hope they bring Puckasaurus back to meet his brother.

When I mention these two, I left out Unique for a reason. As someone who makes it a habit not to watch the glee project, I really think they;re being unfair to their other winners. the harmony chick from last year has disappeared, as has rory who actually had a part, and joe was in this episode but didn;t utter a word. meanwhile alex was a fun guest star, but while it;s unclear whether he is transgender or just a crossdresser (as someone who lives in a city with plenty of both, let me tell you, there IS a difference) I really don't see why his needs to be the story they;re pushing this season, I would much rather spend time getting to know Marley and her mom, a.k.a the female version of kurt and burt.

Speaking of which, DAMN YOU, BURT HUMMEL! Making me tear up by having another touching moment with your son! I had just recovered from watching your single ladies. As Kurt states when his dad drops him off, he really is the best dad in the world, not to mention the best TV dad so far this millenium, and the best since Alan Matthews or Cliff Huxtable (if you don;t know who the former is, I will punch you in the face).

The ending where Rachel runs into Kurt;s arms is nothing short of adorable, but (and I know this opinion is unpopular) I would rather focus on the new characters as opposed to the old. While I once said glee is not degrassi and cannot bring in new charatcers and expect us to love them, they really pulled out all the stops. Marley is such a sweetheart and Sam seems to like her and he and Mercedes are done (how did I get this far in the review without mentioning his Sam-tacular Taylor Lautner impression?) and I want to watch Jake;s journey into being accepted into the glee club and them learning who he is. It would be easier to stay focused at the school. This episode didn;t show us what Finn, Puck, Mercedes, Quinn, or Santana are up to, and you know what? I almost didn;t notice.

Here;s hoping Glee gives us more new characters and less old, but like Kate Hudson;s saucily charged number, they did prove they can still do a thing or two right.