Glee

The Sue Sylvester Shuffle

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 06, 2011 on FOX

• The big Super Bowl episode arrives

The Super Bowl episode has been hyped for quite awhile now, and I must say that while it had some great moments, it also seemed to fall a little flat. It feels like Glee is starting to lose its sense of direction and is starting to fall victim to cliche scenes.. and I don't even mean cliche in the sense that they're ripping off other high school shows or movies.. they're ripping themSELVES off. Instead of getting new and interesting plots, we're getting the same stuff over and over: Glee club gets teased, they're forced to prove that they're cool, they sing some cool songs and boom! They're cool again. Until the next episode.

I should say that the musical numbers were great here. The Thriller song was the highlight of the episode for me, closely followed by the "Bills, Bills, Bills" cover. The show definitely doesn't have problems with choosing interesting songs to sing; obviously, these are talented actors with great singing voices. It's the writing that's starting to make the show wilt. Characters that had potential to be interesting and once WERE interesting (Mr. Shue particularly) are being shoved aside or kept to repeat the same scenes over and over again. Sometimes, the scenes are so haphazard and jump all over the place, enough to make it difficult to watch.

I still watch the show, mostly because it's harmless fun, something that I can watch and criticize without feeling I don't want to watch it anymore. It's infectious in a way some other shows aren't, and I'll keep watching.. I just want the writing to improve a bit. If that can happen, my thoughts on the show will improve immensely.