Going Tribal

Tuesday 10:00 PM on Discovery Channel Premiered Aug 09, 2005 In Season

Going Tribal Fan Reviews (6)

• One of the best documentary series in years. Going Tribal attempts to give an accurate account of tribal cultures without turning it into a movie set or making the tribal people seem overly foreign. It succeeds in both.

The first time I saw Going Tribal, my immediate reaction was that this was something unique. Something I was not used to seeing; something that took me out of my comfort zone. The first thing people are likely to notice is that there is a fair amount of nudity in this show. Strange only because nudity is never shown on commercial cable, but here it is done in a documentary style so it's nothing vulgar.

But it's not just the nudity that brings the viewer out of their comfort zone. At the beginning of each episode we get the first glance of this tribal culture, so far both have been cultures completely cut off from the outside world. In that we get to see the major cultural practices that to us seem strange. We also see how the behavior of the people are not like what we are used to. They can be sometimes very protective or aggressive acting.

What makes the show brilliant is that by the end you realize that these people actually are JUST like everyone we know in the outside world. They laugh just like us, the play games like us, the joke around like us. They enjoy the company of friends, and so far all of have been extremely friendly to the television people. That's what makes this show brilliant; you get to view this foreign culture, which has rarely been documented on film, yet in the end you no longer fear them. You actually feel as if you could be friends with these people yourselves.