Golden Boy Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

Interesting concept / plot technique for an entire series. Will it be the

bmoshier

[1]Feb 20, 2013
    • level: 46

The interview taking place seven (7) years into the future is a very interesting concept / plot technique. I'm wondering if the writers will be using it throughout the entire series or . . . Could the plan be to cover the 7 years in say 3 to 3.5 seasons and then continue the series with our hero as the Commissioner. Honestly, I'm not sure how the writers are looking or if they even are looking at the long term (e.g. season 10).

One very unexpected feeling at the end of the first episode was a Fringe or Continuum style of series. I don't know why, as its clearly not a science fiction. Maybe it is the use of the flash backs, the obvious time difference, and the dropped hints / clues from the comments we hear during the "future" interview.

As with other recent series, I'm not sure from the first episode where the series will take us. It used to be after the first episode you'd know exactly where the series was going and how it would end. FORTUNATELY, today writers are beyond the old box that has one goal (e.g. finding the one armed man, two people finally get together, etc) and realize one can have multiple story goals and arcs.

I'm not exactly sure when this new approach started, but I like. For me, I notice it with Star Gate SG-1 and how they were able to move beyond the opening threat with a full solution and then additional story lines / arcs. The only downside I see is as I feel with this series, I'm not sure where we're headed -- yet. I'm cool with it, but would love to have some framework, though, and is that too much? Maybe the only framework now they're willing to share is the interview and for awhile it will be enough, but honestly, for how many episodes and/or seasons can this interview last (after all in real time most press interviews don't last more than . . .).

So, guys, where do you see this series going and how to do see us getting there?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mindshifthigher

[2]Mar 20, 2013
    • level: 4

As there have been several episodes (each with a flash forward start, then the week's story, and ending with a return to the flash forward commentary) I think this opening will be a hallmark of this series. I like it. There are small clues, teasers, as to the week's story, but they don't give anything away. I doubt the creator(s) intend to show 7 years in weekly intervals. Since the show seems to be an epic integrity tale, I expect there will be periods of time that pass without any episodes covering the period. As I see it, the story is about Detective Clark managing to rise to the top without losing his integrity. I remember when every episode of every show had to have an ending. Two-parters were extremely rare. I believe more and more shows are done like miniseries where the long-term plot is told in episodes that mesh together. Not every episode is about the long-term, but bits and pieces are added that lead to another long-term plot episode. So, the Fringe/Continuum plot style is now quite common in dramas. For instance, Burn Notice started with Michael Westen doing local detective work. Over the seasons the plot escalated to taking down the people responsible for burning him as he discovered them, which was his goal from the beginning. I am fascinated by the interplay of personalities. The characters are extremely complex, and I think one could make a series out of most of their back stories. Last week's story of the senior detectives who under reported crimes to get promotions, and eventually descended into bad cop crime and murder was plausible. Then, I ran across a news story about Adrian Schoolcraft, an officer who exposed corruption and malfeasance in the 81st precinct. Frank Serpico worked at the 81st, too, so it goes to show that only the faces change. Golden Boy shows people who happen to be cops in all their arrogance and insecurity, trying to get ahead, making mistakes, being human.

bmoshier

[3]Apr 12, 2013
    • level: 46

mindshifthigher wrote:
    Golden Boy shows people who happen to be cops in all their arrogance and insecurity, trying to get ahead, making mistakes, being human.

It is such a shame CBS won't be giving (at least what I hear) this series a long term chance. Maybe it is its mid-season replacement state that hurt it or how NCIS fans aren't into NYPD cop. I'm not sure. I know I love the NCIS series and Golden Boy. (Honestly, I wanted to dislike NCIS because I loved JAG so much, but I couldn't . . .)

I just really want to know the future for the characters beyond the first 13 episodes. What happens to Owens is for most on my mind.