A Golden Globe Awards Community
NBC (Returning January 11th, 2015)

Coming right on the heels of yesterday's SAG Award nominations are the nominees for the drunker, shinier Golden Globe Awards. The 71st annual event will take place on Sunday, January 12 and will once again be hosted by reigning queens of comedy Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. Early this morning, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced the 2014 nominees with a few very welcome surprises, and a few not so surprising snubs... yeah, I'm looking at you Homeland. The Globes are known for this; they often recognize younger shows that are very hot at the moment, and honor individuals other award shows won't touch—deserving or not.

This year's surprise nominees include freshman comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine and its star Andy Samberg. The HFPA also gave nods to Orphan Black star Tatiana Maslany (who's currently battling it out with Once Upon a Time's Lana Parrilla for Best Dramatic Actress in our own Best of 2013 Awards) and Parenthood's Monica Potter. Both women turned in critically acclaimed performances on their respective series, but aside from a Critics' Choice Award for each, neither have really received the recognition that many think they deserve. Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul also received a nomination for his stellar work as Jesse Pinkman in the series' final season this summer. Despite having won two Emmys for the role, this is the first time he's been nominated for a Golden Globe.

Keep reading for the full list of television nominees!

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

Breaking Bad

Downton Abbey

The Good Wife

House of Cards

Masters of Sex

This category has so many worthy contenders that I know it must be difficult to narrow the list down to five nominees. And I know my wish for Justified to receive some love will never come to fruition, but Downton Abbey? The sudsy drama from across-the-pond was so wonderful and different when it premiered, but I don't know that its third season deserves to be listed alongside the likes of the final season of Breaking Bad, and the freshman seasons of Masters of Sex and House of Cards. That spot could have easily gone to Game of Thrones, Orphan Black or The Americans. It's nice to see The Good Wife sneak in a nomination to represent network television though. 

Notably absent: two-time winner Homeland, Game of Thrones, Mad Men

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES  – DRAMA

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad

Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan

Michael Sheen, Masters of Sex

Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

James Spader, The Blacklist

Remember when I said the Golden Globes often honored individuals that no one else would touch? Sometimes they're deserving, but something they're so WTF you're just dumbfounded. That's this year's nomination for Liev Schreiber. It's not that Schreiber isn't a good actor, but look at his competition. Bryan "Three-Time Emmy Winner" Cranston! James "I Am Nominated For All The Things" Spader, Kevin "I'm Actually a Movie Star" Spacey! Michael "I Also Star In Movies That Win Awards Sometimes" Sheen. In the words of Regina George, I think someone nominated him as a joke or something. 

Notably absent: Jon Hamm, Damien Lewis (last year's winner), Steve Buscemi

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black

Taylor Schilling, Orange Is the New Black

Kerry Washington, Scandal

Robin Wright, House of Cards

It would be easy to litter this category with cable actresses, so it's nice to see that the HFPA still recognizes all the great work Julianna Margulies is doing on The Good Wife after she was shut out at this year's Emmy Awards. And it's about damn time someone gave Tatiana Maslany the credit she deserves for starring in what is essentially a one-woman show. Taylor Schilling is also a nice surprise.

Notably absent: Claire Danes (last year's winner)

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

The Big Bang Theory

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Girls

Modern Family

Parks and Recreation

My first instinct was, "Where's New Girl"? Then I remembered Season 3 (the eligibility period for the Golden Globes is the calendar year, not the TV season calendar). It's surprising to see Brooklyn Nine-Nine in the same category as Girls and Parks and Recreation, but I don't really hate this list. I mean, Modern Family's nomination is boring, but it's something that was going to happen anyway, so I won't fight it.

Notably Absent: Veep, Arrested Development, 30 Rock

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

Jason Bateman, Arrested Development

Don Cheadle, House of Lies

Michael J. Fox, The Michael J. Fox Show

Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This is quite an interesting list of nominees. Obviously, only the Devil himself would talk shit about Michael J. Fox, so I'll just say it's a pleasant surprise to see the HFPA honoring for him for a series that is, unfortunately, not spectacular. Nominating Jim Parsons is standard awards show fare these days, but the recognition is wholly deserved as his portrayal of Sheldon Cooper continues to be wonderful. I could take or leave Don Cheadle, am slightly confused by Andy Samberg's nomination (but find it refreshing), and completely expected Jason Bateman's appearance on this list.  

Notably absent: Alec Baldwin

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

Zooey Deschanel, New Girl

Lena Dunham, Girls

Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

This is a list of ladies in comedies. It's predictable, but not in a bad way. I don't even hate it, I just can't seem to muster up anything to say about it. 

Notably absent: Tina Fey

BEST MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

American Horror Story: Coven

Behind the Candelabra

Dancing on the Edge

Top of the Lake

The White Queen

Aside from the fact I still think it's ridiculous that American Horror Story is included in this category simply because it's an anthology series, these are easy nominations. Top of the Lake was a magnificent miniseries, and I'd like to see it take home some awards, but I have a feeling this will be the Behind the Candelabra show come January. 

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

Matt Damon, Behind the Candelabra

Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra

Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dancing on the Edge

Idris Elba, Luther

Al Pacino, Phil Spector

Remember the year Jimmy McNulty was up against Stringer Bell and Stringer won and they hugged and you felt like the world imploded from it all? Damn. Too bad the BBC canceled The Hour

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

Helena Bonham Carter, Burton & Taylor

Rebecca Ferguson, The White Queen

Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Coven

Helen Mirren, Phil Spector

Elisabeth Moss, Top of the Lake

Any hope I had for Elisabeth Moss to win this category for Top of the Lake went out the window when I noticed Dame Helen Mirren's name above hers. And again when I noticed Jessica Lange's name. Congrats to Rebecca Ferguson, though, for cracking this category. Holy shit.

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINISERIES, OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

Josh Charles, The Good Wife

Rob Lowe, Behind the Candelabra

Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad

Corey Stoll, House of Cards

Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

I'll never understand why the Golden Globes lump all of the supporting acting categories together into one, especially when you consider the wealth of talent in the drama categories recently. Not a single comedic actor earned a nomination this year, which might be cause for the HFPA to finally separate them, but it probably isn't. That being said, I couldn't be happier to see Aaron Paul's name in this list, because the Globes have never recognized his performance on Breaking Bad despite the two Emmys he has to his name. Rob Lowe ... is probably pissed he wasn't nominated as a lead actor, while Jon Voight is pretty much only in this list because he's Jon Voight. 

Notably absent: comedy actors, Mandy Patinkin, Peter Dinklage, Walton Goggins (I really just want him to get some awards love, okay?!) 

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINISERIES, OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing on the Edge

Janet McTeer, The White Queen

Hayden Panettiere, Nashville

Monica Potter, Parenthood

Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

Hayden Panettiere continues to steal the spotlight from Connie Britton on Nashville, which most people thought to be impossible until it actually happened. She's definitely the best part of the series and her work continues to blow me away. I'd argue she's much more of a lead than a supporting actor, though. Monica Potter, as I mentioned earlier, wholly deserves recognition for Parenthood, but not for this season. Her cancer storyline in Season 4 was definitely award worthy, but most of that season aired in 2012, not 2013. 

Notably absent: Anna Gunn, Maggie Smith (last year's winner), Michelle Fairley

Here's the live replay of this morning's announcements, as read by Aziz Ansari, Olivia Wilde, and Zoe Saldana.

For the full list of nominations, including those for film, check out the HFPA's website. Then let's hear your thoughts in the comments!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/12/2014

Season 71 : Episode 1

Next Episode

AIRS ON 1/11/2015

Season 72 : Episode 1

112 Comments