Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

CBS (ended 1969)

FredScuttle

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. Fan Reviews (9)

• Great TV Show no doubt about it. Anybody who thinks it's a waste of time doesn't know good TV. Check this out if you like classic TV: www.sentinelvideoltd.com

I would have to consider this show definitly one of the greatest shows of all-time. The cast was unbelievable. They could not have picked a better actor to play Sgt. Carter. Putting Gomer in the situations they ut him in was sure genius by the writers, producers and directors of the show. The only criticism I had was of some of the supporting cast. I really didn't like some of the characters in Gomers company. But I guess they had to be the opposite of what he was to make the show work. All in all it was a great show. Check this out if you like classic TV: www.sentinelvideoltd.com
  • The funniest, wackiest, and most honest and sincere Marine ever proves to be a constant thorn in the side of tough Marine Veteran Sergeant Carter.

Easily the best spin off series ever and one of the greatest all time classic series. Gomer Pyle USMC hit on a long standing successful comedy formula of pitting two vastly different personalities together. Just as Andy Taylor was to Barney Fife, so too did Frank Sutton fill the role of arch nemesis to Gomer Pyle. Both were vastly different, yet each had respect for the other. This led to some of the greatest comedy seen on the small screen as well as some heartfelt moments. Gomer Pyle USMC is one of those classic television shows that contains nice wholesome comedy with great acting. There were no cheap shots or insults used for cheap laughs nor was there any pushing the envelope as most TV shows seem to do today. There won't be another Gomer Pyle USMC. Fortunately the series is being issued season by season on DVD so that future generations can see what it was like when comedy was simply funny.
  • The Marine Corps with mayhem, suffering and death airbrushed out.

3.8
    Gomer Pyle USMC takes us back to the days before the all-volunteer (i.e. all-working poor) armed forces. Gomer is obliged to do at least two years' service, so he opts for the Marine Corps. Good lead-out episode from the Andy Griffith Show, excellent march theme by Earle Hagen, first half-season good, steadily declined thereafter. Gomer and Sgt. Carter in endless training drills or on double dates (this was before Don't Ask, Don't Tell). What I can't understand is why Gomer never shipped out to Viet Nam. Imagine Gomer burning a hooch with a flame thrower, mowing down Viet Namese with an M-16, using the 'Bell Telephone Hour' interrogation technique or fragging Sgt. Carter. It certainly would have been more interesting but might have lead viewers to the politically unacceptable truth that the purpose of the military establishment is to kill the specified people at minimal expense to the U.S. government.

So Gomer Pyle USMC is a nice little story of choir boy in the Marine Corps, interesting at first then steadily becomes more and more inane.

jHh

• What can I say, \" Gaw-lee \", great show !

I\'m proud to own all 150 episodes of this very funny and entertaining timeless classic TV show. I love every episode. The best part of the show was watching Sgt. Carter get so mad at Gomer. Frank Sutton was born to play the role of Sgt. Carter, and of course, there can never be another actor who could play the role of Gomer better than Jim Nabors.
  • This is television's worst show ever

0.1
    As a child I had to endure watching this show with the adults in the family. I couldn't understand then what was funny about it. I found Gomer to be so frustrating and annoying that I wished that I could just shut him up and put him out of mine and Sargeant Carter's misery. As an adult I tried to watch it and see if as a child I had missed something, but No Gomer Pyle was still annoying and I still wanted to shut him up. The charachter so annoyed me that to this day I don't even like it's portrayer Jim Nabors.
  • Gomer Pyle was a spin off from The Andy Griffith Show, about the trials and tribulations of Gomer in the Marine Corps. Throughout the series run was Sgt. Carter, who was seemingly always frustrated by Pyles actions.

Recently, Ive had renewed interest in this series, since they began rerunning it on a local station. Gomer Pyle, USMC has to be one of the most enigmatic series of the 60s. Never really considered one of great shows, but yet not bad enough to be totally dispised. Unlike many shows of the period, it was well written by some really good writers(Harvey Miller, Bill Idelson, Fritzell& Greenbaum). In spite of what some revisionists will have you believe, The Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligans Island and The Brady Bunch have NOT aged well, but Gomer Pyle is still quite watchable. Most of the criticism comes from the fact that the show was about the Marines yet, never even mentioned the War in Vietnam. Like the show that spawned it, it seems to belong in a differant time. If you can ignore the Vietnam angle, this show is very enjoyable. And its interesting how Gomer promotes strong values without hitting you over the head, like, say, The Brady Bunch. He is a good hearted person, who ultimately turns the tables on his superiors time and time again, much like the Andy Griffith character in this shows direct inspiration, No Time for Sargents, which was about a seeming simpleton who turns out to be wiser than his superiors. Gomer is emminently likeable, somewhat child like, you cant help rooting for him. Of course, you even feel for Carter, who lets Gomer get to him. Carter is never really mean, but perhaps just ignorant of his charges nature. There are too few sitcoms today that make you think of values, fewer still that do it without a sledgehammer. Maybe its time to rethink this series. Maybe it was better than we remember.
  • Classic show that should be brought back

I always loved Gomer I would always watch it with my dad on Tv Land and Nick at night it should be put back on TV LAND. i dont care if i saw all the episodes already that show was priceless and nothing will ever beat it when it comes to shows about the army
  • America's Favorite Marine And His Misadventures!!!

Jim Nabors plays Gomer Pyle, that lovable gas station attendent from the Andy Griffeth Show.
    Gomer joined the Marines and is the unlikely foil to Sgt. Carter.
    Love that show,funny and silly.And has won hearts from that time to now.
    Nabors, was the best person to play this charecter,and Frank Sutton was great as Sgt. Carter.
  • Just a show to sit back and have some laughs with.

"Gomer Pyle,USMC" ran for five seasons on CBS-TV from September of 1964 to September of 1969. In all 150 episodes were produced. The Black and White episodes ran for one season from 1964 to 1965. The Color episodes ran from 1965 to 1969. The originally came for this series was during one of the episodes of "The Andy Griffith Show" titled "Gomer Joins The Marines",where Jim Nabors' character of Gomer Pyle was being intitated into the United States Marine Corps where Gomer comes face to face with his drill sargeant,Vincent Carter played by Frank Sutton. But how in the heck did Gomer Pyle,a backwoods lack of common sense individual from the sticks of Mayberry,North Carolina go from a gas station attendant at Wally's service station to the title of a United States Marine? That is anybody's guess,but Gomer was one of the least brightest,if not one of the most nicest Marines you'll ever meet. But if you notice he acted femimine sometimes too especially around the barracks and most of the time giving Sargeant Carter one heck of a time putting them into one predictment after another. And if you thought of couldn't get any worse he comes Gomer after the end of each episode to goof things up. Nice but stupid. Carter was always giving Gomer a hard time,but somewhere down the line,especially with the Marines he got it right,but still Carter shouts at him anyway.

In some of the episodes,you would always find Gomer in a tight spot,but is always there to lend a helping hand,but there was episode I do recall where Gomer was messing around with a underage girl by taking her on a date. In this day and age,no servicemen in the Armed Forces wouldn't be caught dead messing around with an underage girl,and Gomer should know better. There was episodes were Gomer would occasionally goof-off but you still had his fellow recruits to help him and sometimes under the watchful eye of Sargeant Carter and also Colonel Gray who was on their case all the time. There was always a predictment in each of their escapades,but they sometimes before the end of the episode got it right.

Even after five seasons,and when the show went off the airwaves in 1969, all of the buddies that live in the barracks were promoted and moved on from Sargeant Carter,but Gomer? He was still a private in the Marines,after five seasons. The show was created by the talent team of Sheldon Leonard,Ronald Jacobs,and sometimes produced by Sheldon Leonard and Aaron Ruben and also by Andy Griffith himself,who was the show's executive producer. The black and white were very hilarious with Gomer getting into all kinds of mischief on the barracks,but the color episodes were funny during its first two seasons,but faded after the show's fifth and final season. As for the rest of his barrack buddies who was with Gomer during their five years of service consisted of regulars and guest stars that appear on the show.................

Ted Bessell-played Pvt. Lombardi during the 1965-66 season. He went on to star opposite Marlo Thomas in "That Girl",also produced by Jacobs.

Larry Hovis-played Pvt. Gotschalk during the show's first season. He went on to star in the WWII sitcom "Hogan's Heroes" with Bob Crane.

Allan Melvin- played Carter's buddy Sgt. Hacker and was a guest regular on "The Andy Griffith Show" and later on "All In The Family". Was also the voiceovers for several animated cartoons.

Ronnie Schell-played Gomer's best friend Pvt. Duke Slater and would stay on throughout the show's entire run.

Forrest Compton-played the head honco of the barracks-Colonel Gray.

The guest stars on the roster? Everyone from Lucille Ball to Carol Burnett and even Sammy Davis,Jr. was on this show.

And in these days and times,never ever called a Marine a "Gomer".