Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

CBS (ended 1969)

FredScuttle

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. Fan Reviews (9)

• The Marine Corps with mayhem, suffering and death airbrushed out.

3.8
    Gomer Pyle USMC takes us back to the days before the all-volunteer (i.e. all-working poor) armed forces. Gomer is obliged to do at least two years' service, so he opts for the Marine Corps. Good lead-out episode from the Andy Griffith Show, excellent march theme by Earle Hagen, first half-season good, steadily declined thereafter. Gomer and Sgt. Carter in endless training drills or on double dates (this was before Don't Ask, Don't Tell). What I can't understand is why Gomer never shipped out to Viet Nam. Imagine Gomer burning a hooch with a flame thrower, mowing down Viet Namese with an M-16, using the 'Bell Telephone Hour' interrogation technique or fragging Sgt. Carter. It certainly would have been more interesting but might have lead viewers to the politically unacceptable truth that the purpose of the military establishment is to kill the specified people at minimal expense to the U.S. government.

So Gomer Pyle USMC is a nice little story of choir boy in the Marine Corps, interesting at first then steadily becomes more and more inane.

jHh