Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

Sergeant Carter's Farewell to His Troops

Aired Friday 9:30 PM Jan 15, 1965 on CBS

• Sgt.Carter decides to leave the Marines, and Gomer tries to change his mind.

7.9
    Gomer sees Sgt. Carter down and out. Sgt. Carter complaines about the boring social life of a marine, "old movies and a cup of coffee", to which Gomer replies "yeah, I love it". He also complains that women go for the big spenders. So he decides when his enlistment is up in three days, he is going to join the Anehiem motorcycle department. Gomer tells Sgt. Carter that his platoon will be upset if he leaves, that Sgt. Carter is "one of the family". So he asks Sgt.Carter to come and see their reaction when Gomer tells them. The best scene of the episode is next. When Gomer informs them of the news, the platoon is thrilled. Sgt.Carter interrupts the celebration with a classic chewing out. Gomer and a couple of buddies hatch a plan to keep Sgt.Carter, by having them foul up, like not marching properly. Duke realizes Sgt.Carter's weak point is women. A good looking woman named Sally, who already has a boy friend, is persuaded to go on a date with him. The boyfriend ends up slugging Sgt. Carter. Sgt. Carter goes to say Goodbye to his patoon. Funny scene as Duke imitates Sgt. Carter saying "I can't hear you" to Sgt.Carter, then the others join in to say "I can't hear you". Except for Gomer. Since he figure Sgt. Carter is no longer in the Marines, Duke continues to insult him, saying all he sees is a man with a "fat neck, a red face, and a funny jacket". Sgt. Carter changes his mind and reinlists, with another classic chewing out. I rate this a good episode.