Good Morning, Miami

NBC (ended 2003)

Good Morning, Miami Fan Reviews (9)

• "Perhaps it just doesn't have the guts...? It doesn't dare to be different?"

4.5
    by Dane Youssef

"Good Morning, Miami " was briefly part of the "Thursday Night Must-See TV lineup." Very briefly. It was knocked off the first-class menu pretty fast, moved to Tuesday night. It did help to get a lot of people become recognizable faces and names--even pin-up idols. Such as the likes of Mark Feuerstein, Ashley Williams and Constance Zimmer.

Created and co-written by the creators of "Will and Grace" David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, "GMM" was their response to NBC asking them to make another hit. As a weekly television episodic romantic comedy, "GMM" managed to make something of a fan-base--mostly with young women. Critics roasted it to ash, but there were a legion of fans that still had considerable love for it. But nearly every soul was on the same page when it came to two of the female comic relief characters, a nun played by Brooke Dillman and Tessie Santiago, two invaluable talents. Anyone can see that--even here. But these stock cartoon characters they have to play could stop Eddie Murphy cold. The weather nun, the Hispanic caricature co-anchor and the dirty old grandma weren't great... or perhaps even very good. But by season two, they were gone on a rail. So then did the show have a chance?

It's not what's on the show that's the problem now. It's what's not there. "Good Morning, Miami's current biggest problem is its generic, bland and flavorless. Isn't that the worst thing a comedy can be? That any kind of TV sit-com can be? Feuerstein (TV's "Loving" and "Caroline in the City" and the films "Woman on Top" and "What Women Want") as Jake is not terrible by any means, just bland and flat--like Feuerstein was in his first lead "Conrad Bloom."

Mark is at times, not interesting enough to hate. He's not awful, you don't feel irritation watching him---just indifference. He's effective and perfectly cast when he plays the too-young, too-wide-eyed, too-youthful, too-excited love interests ("Caroline in the City," "West Wing" and "Once and Again"), as well as sidekicks ("What Women Want" and "Woman on Top") and lawyers ("Rules of Engagement," "Murder by Media," "West Wing")--and he's very effective there, which explains why NBC continues to employ him.

But as a lead, he's stilted and uncharismatic. He's charming and has some nice physically expressive comedic moments, but he doesn't have the tall stature or confidence to carry a whole show. Not a bad actor, just not a lead actor.

Ashley Williams (TV's "As the World Turns" and "Dawson's Creek") seems to suffer from the same problems. I love her personally, but her Dylan character just leaves me feeling heavy disinterest.

She smiles, delivers a scripted on-liner, but not much more. People clamored the adorable little girl charm Ashley gave the show (when she just smiled) but her character is window dressing and plot device. Becoming wise, stupid and smiling whenever the plot requires her to. All Ashley is allowed to bring to her character is a sweet grin.

No wonder the viewers (the few fans of the show) seem to clamor for Penny. Constance Zimmer ("Warm Blooded Killers" and TV's "My Guide to Becoming a Rock Star"), well at least, she gets more to do and say as the lazy, worthless, dead-weight secretary is "WTF is that?!" clothing.

We've seen this character in almost every workplace sit-com ever made (TV's "Suddenly Susan," "NewsRadio," "The Larry Sanders Show," etc). Pretty much every time a sit-com or sit-com-like movie sets foot in an office building, we'll run into one of these characters.

It's as if Kohan, Mutchnick and NBC was scraping the bottom of the bin and found all this stuff and just tried to assemble a show out of what was left.

That worked with Max & David when they put the magnificent "Will & Grace" together, but not here. Not at all. Not remotely.

"GMM" just takes the scrap clichés' and assembles them, never at any point making any kind of attempt to re-vitalize them. Were Max & David exhausted and/or too busy from "W&G"? Or did they just not care?

The Penny character, although as unoriginal as it gets, is at least able to give the show some much-needed life and color. I looked her up here on IMDb and read that she is one of the older cast-members on the show. She hasn't had a great deal of work and fame, sadly. "GMM" is her break-out. That's good. She's been waiting a while. Too long, I think. It's about time. She has her own fan-site now. She's waited long enough for it.

The foppish, boorish blowhard of an anchorman, well-played by Lecshter, also has some nice moments. As Gavin Stone, he's the very epitome of the conceited jack-ass. Leschter makes his character spew insulting banter and insults like a machine and smiles a phony grin like he's trying to sell you a used car on cylinder blocks.

When he butts heads with Jake, it's funny, but "GMM" never takes real advantage of that. Like a lot of it's promise and potential, it squanders it, taking the cheapest and easiest shots imaginable. Shooting itself in the foot and trying to jerk us back and forth like a arcade game joystick---without any real skill or style.

Instead of having the characters all tear into each other (which would be really funny and entertaining), they all just tear into Jake. They all push him over and steamroller over just him. While something like that could, once again, be funny---it's not here because Jake is just too easy a target. He's a sitting duck. He's just a big push-over. It's funny to take away a character's dignity if he has it. But if just no challenge, it's just not funny. It's just bullying. And comes off as kind of cruel. Humiliating Jake is basically just like shooting dead fish in a shot-glass.

It might be funny to give Jake some more edge. Some more banter. More one-liners. More put-downs. He doesn't humiliate himself without a fight. Give him some dignity. That's why it's much funnier and better when Gavin and Penny get hoisted by their you-know-whats. It's just more entertaining to watch all the air get let out.

What lurks beneath Penny's nasty, hostile and badly-dressed surface? Who is the real Gavin? In-jokes about the secret of Frank's sexuality have existed since the beginning? What's there? There's so much potential for a great series and it jumps and dodges all the potential for a better show. Why?

The relationships, the unrequited love, the workplace war-zone, the relationship between Jake & Penny? Frank's sexuality? And more. The opportunity is here for another gold-mine like "W&G." But it's unmined for some reason. Why?

Perhaps because with "W&G," Max & David were striking it out on their won. They were making their mark. Now that they're at the top, they're afraid to rock the boat. Afraid to say something significant. Or maybe it's NBC that wants to play it safe?
    "Miami" is literally a bad show with potential that needs some re-making.... about a bad show with potential that needs some re-making. What is this? Irony? Is this deliberate? Are they being self-consciously glib? Maybe this is an in-joke, they're trying to make "Miami" three-dimensional. If only the show had come out just a few years later when 3-D was being updated, reborn coming back into style.

The cast mostly seems ideal. I just wish they were all at the service of a show that's just better. "GMM" plays like all the left-over clichés' "W&G" didn't want to bother with. Is that the real problem? Lack of inspiration and imagination? Or nerve? Is "GMM" just too scared? Or... lazy?

--For TV show producers at NBC and in Miami, Florida, Dane Youssef
  • While not the greatest show, it was at least a decent comedy which managed to be entertaining though kinda dumb at times.

7.1
    I had hopes that this show would be a good complementary comedy to go along with NBC's "Must See TV" Thursdays. I watched it pretty much each week but it still wasn't that great. It had its funny moments and I also cared for some of the characters but it felt kinda forced. They basically took the "Ross/Rachel" dynamic from 'Friends' and made a show that really only focused on that aspect of "that" guy chasing "that" girl. On the other hand, isn't that the premise alot of shows use at least on some level?

Still, I continued to watch with hopes that it'd hang around for a while and continue to at least make me laugh. NBC soon pulled the show which, by that time, I was losing interest in the show (especially since it got moved around the schedule and I knew it was dying a slow death). Sadly, at this point, I still sometimes wish I knew who ended up with who.

7.1
    I had hopes for this show that it would be a good complementary comedy to go along with NBC's "Must See TV" Thursdays. I watched it pretty much each week but it still wasn't that great. It had its funny moments and I also cared for some of the characters but it felt kinda forced. They basically took the "Ross/Rachel" dynamic from "Friends" and made a show that really only focused on that aspect of a guy chasing a girl.

• A producer called Jake who starts working on the lowest rating talk show becasue he's in love with the makeup artist Dylan. But Dylan's in love with the show host Gavin and Penny Jake's secretary is in love with Jake. Frank is the random hilarious one.

I absolutely love this show becasue it's so up beat and heartfelt. Jake's various ploys to impress Dylan and show his feelings are hilarious but also cute and really sweet at the same time. Frank is awesome even though he tries frequently to get a date with a woman I suspect he's actually gay with his man bag and high pitched voice. He's so cute. Gavin is really arrogant but this makes him funny because he's obsessed with his appearance. Dylan is really sweet but oblivious to the fact that Jake likes her. And Penny is hilarious.
  • One of my favourite comedies. The story of Miami's morning show, brought to you by an excellent show, with brilliant writers. I loved it.

Good Morning Miami is not just another morning show comedy. It is the funniest, unexpected and unfortunately, the most underappreciated morning show comedy.
    When Jake first arrives in Miami, he thinks he's going to visit his grandmother. But then he gets an unordinary offer, to produce to local morning show. Of course, he has experience with producing, but this show is one of the worst. Surely going to refuse, he gets there and undeniably falls in love with the hair stylist of the show, Dylan. But her boyfriend appears to be the host of the show. Amused? Had even started yet!
    Frank, the manager of the station, suffers from too many personality problems. Lucia, the Spanish host, has too many conflicts about life. Sister-Branda, the weather girl, likes to fly dead chickens to raise the rating of her broadcast. Penny, Jake's secretary, is a very selfish girl who doesn't care about her boss privacy. And let's not forget the reason we came all the way here, Jake's grandma, Claire, has her own opinion about everything her grandson does.
    With a cast like that, and with the brilliant writers, this show comes to new heights every episode. And when things seem to get good, you won't even believe what's going to fall on our little station.
    Will Jake get Dylan? Will Penny stop nudging her boss? Will Claire stop spending her grandson's money on gambling? And will Branda make at least one normal weather forecast? Don't hesitate to reveal the answers, while revealing your tears out of crying!
  • I LOVE IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... MUCH!!!

Ok, so this is the greatest show right NOW!!!

i love it sooooooo much. i am really upset becaus ei can't download the show from i tunes or the theme song. i am really upset.

This really is such a great show, i can't believe i haven't seen this show before, and it is from the makers of Will and Grace which is like the 2nd greatest show to this one.

Jake is soooooooo hot too. i also loive the name dylan for a girl it is cool.

i am going to name my kids Jacob and Dylan so i can always remember this show.
  • 1st Season was great

I enjoyed this show---from the summer promos to the opening theme song by Goo Goo Dolls' John Rzenick to the end.

In the big picture, it was a formulaic situation comedy with the romance angle of "will they/won't they". However, it seemed that each week it was based on the relationship. And of course, as they rode the bullet train towards the season finale of the 1st season, you knew the relationship was going to meet the climax. And much after the first season, the episodes lacked energy of the first season. There was too many shake ups with the cast and the audience never knew where NBC was putting it.

It was such a tightly knit group much like Newsradio or WKRP. And although the writing wasn't as great as Newsradio, the writing had some great moments.

My favorite was Constance Zimmer's and Suzanne Pleshette's character (a change from Emily Hartley from "The Bob Newhart Show").
  • Great concept, some strong likeable characters, but I felt forced to like a main character that I really could have cared less about (Jake). The last episodes were a mess. Disappointing.

6.8
    Here's the problem with GMM: They tried to shove Jake/Dylan down our throats and for me, I could've cared less. Dylan's character was great but Jake was cast completely wrong. Losing the character of Lucia was a good move because she was too much of a cartoon, but cutting Sister Brenda (Brooke Dillman) was a HUGE mistake: She was one of the few bright spots of the show. Penny was always there for a great line. Frank was solid. The writing wasn't; things seemed rushed. Could have been a great show, but ended up being a train wreck.
  • Jake, a news producer goes to work on the lowest rated morning news program \"Good Morning Miami\" because he falls in love with the beautiful make-up artist Dylan.

This is such a funny show. It is produced by the makers of "Will & Grace" so you know it has to be good. Each episode kept on getting better than the last. It was dissapointing when the show ended after only two seasons because it was very worth while watching.