Good Times Forums

CBS (ended 1979)

Mom and DAD in the Show

csar10

[1]Nov 28, 2005
    • level: 6
    Does anyone know the story on the following.
    1. Why did the father leave the show?
    2. Why does the mother leave the show then comes back and her 2nd husband Charles is not brought back?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ladycatherine

[2]Dec 4, 2005
    • level: 14
    csar10 wrote:
    Does anyone know the story on the following.
    1. Why did the father leave the show?
    2. Why does the mother leave the show then comes back and her 2nd husband Charles is not brought back?

1. Most rumors was that John Amos left the show to do other things,. Also but not in a bad way because of the Jimmie Walker Character. J.J. became the center of the show.

2. Carl was his name, the mother and him left to go to AZ and she came back for Thelma's wedding. If I am right I thougth he died. But that part I could be wrong.

chelimina

[3]Dec 18, 2005
    • level: 5
    John Amos was actually fired from the show following his frustration of Jimmie Walker's character. As said above, "JJ" became the main character of the show, which was supposed to follow the lives of the MOTHER and FATHER raising their 3 kids in the Chicago projects, thus focusing on "Florida" and "James".

Esther Rolle left for similar reasons, unbeknownst to a lot of viewers. Both she and John Amos expressed displeasure with the aloofness, ignorance and stupidity of "JJ". She was also very upset that her "family" lost their father, especially since she signed on to do the show only if she had a husband in the home. As a result, she quit after the 4th season and returned to see "Thelma" marry "Keith" in the show's final season, 6. Notice, "JJ" was more of a family man by that time, working (most of the time) and supporting the family. The character had also ditched the trademark hat and a lot of the "Dy-no-mite!!".

sgtpepper1985

[4]Jan 11, 2006
    That is so childish! I know that it was mainly focused on Florida and James raising three kids in the porjects with their neighbor Willona dropping in on them in every episode, but one thing I do not get is why is Jan'et Dubois name mentioned before James Amos and Esther Rolle?

It sucks that James got fired because he was the best actor in the show. I think that without him telling Michael, Thelma, and J.J. what to do and what they should not do. I think that it was awesome to watch a family try to make ends meet during difficult times.

chelimina

[5]Jan 13, 2006
    Do you mean in the opening credits? The only time Ja'net Dubois' name would've been first is when Esther Rolle left the show, which was the onset of season 5. Esther Rolle's name was always first, followed by John Amos then Ja'net Dubois. It was that way seasons 1-3.

wudaddy79

[6]Jan 24, 2006
    • level: 33
    Chelimina is right. Esther Rolle was the star of the show. She was the supporting character in Maude, with James (the character's name was actually "Henry" on Maude) dropping in ever so often. When producers decided that Esther could carry her own show, Good Times was spun off of it, and Esther became the star. The credits are done in the order of acting experience and/or the knowledge of the actor/actresses credibility in the industry.

For the person that asked, Carl didn't die - that was never mentioned again after he and Florida left in the 4th season.

sgtpepper1985

[7]Feb 5, 2006
    I thought I saw Jan'et Dubois's name before Esther Rolle once. I could be wrong though...

wudaddy79

[8]Mar 3, 2006
    • level: 33
    sgtpepper1985 wrote:
    I thought I saw Jan'et Dubois's name before Esther Rolle once. I could be wrong though...

In the 5th season (the season that Esther Rolle was absent), Ja'net was credited first, as she was the next experienced actor after Rolle.

chelimina

[9]Mar 14, 2006
    Ja'net's name was only first because Esther had quit after season 4.

SupermanNYC

[10]Apr 6, 2006
    • level: 45
    chelimina wrote:
    John Amos was actually fired from the show following his frustration of Jimmie Walker's character. As said above, "JJ" became the main character of the show, which was supposed to follow the lives of the MOTHER and FATHER raising their 3 kids in the Chicago projects, thus focusing on "Florida" and "James".

Esther Rolle left for similar reasons, unbeknownst to a lot of viewers. Both she and John Amos expressed displeasure with the aloofness, ignorance and stupidity of "JJ". She was also very upset that her "family" lost their father, especially since she signed on to do the show only if she had a husband in the home. As a result, she quit after the 4th season and returned to see "Thelma" marry "Keith" in the show's final season, 6. Notice, "JJ" was more of a family man by that time, working (most of the time) and supporting the family. The character had also ditched the trademark hat and a lot of the "Dy-no-mite!!".
    yes this is what happen and thats why he was no longer on the show