Good Times

CBS (ended 1979)

boechsner

Good Times Fan Reviews (42)

• 1st Black Family of Comedy

Loved the show! They are planning a Cast Reunion Cruise in 2014. Email me if you want details.

You can reach me @
  • Good Times ,1 of the best comidies of my childhood.

If you watched this show as a kid you had a awesome childhood!
  • Good Times is one of my all time favorites. It's portrayal of the strength of the black family despite of racial prejudice is accurate. While the storylines are simple,they teach lessons of love, longsuffering and endurance. www.2black4u.blogspot.com

Good Times is definitely one of my all time favorites. It's portrayal of the strength of the black family despite racial prejudice is accurate. While the storylines are simple, they teach lessons of love, longsuffering and endurance. The Evans family provided imagery of a typical black family in the 1970's. They overcome trials and tribulations of living in the ghetto. While they were poor, they were never poor in spirit. James and Florida Evans were played by two of my favorite actors, John Amos and Esther Rolle. Both of the actors were under rated and they never received the acting roles or awards they deserved. J. J. Evans, played by Jimmie Walker, kept the audience in stitches with his comedic candor. While the black family has come along way from the days of Good Times, we all can learn from the Evans family and why they had Good Times and overcame all odds. www.2black4u.blogspot.com
  • i love this show, it teaches today what family is all about. How best friends stick together and help each other out, and what is really going on in the world, its just worse now a days. Good times was always a favorite and always will be

Just as i said thank God for reruns. Good times was just that Good Times. I bet on the set it was fun. I just finished watching a good times marathon. The last episode still gets me to this day. I love this sitcom. I wonder if the cast members keep in touch, oh well, this show told it like it was and it was about families. The evans family made it thru thick and thin, but made it together, and i cried and cried at the last episode everyone did great acting, made it seem like a real family. When i was little i would come home and it was a favorite in our home.
  • This show was classic and definetly my favorite show that began in 1974. It was classic.

This show was classic and definetly my favorite show that began in 1974. It was classic. This show dealed with real life problems of an african-American family. The show featured a short tempered father, a smart mouthed son named JJ, a genius son named michael, a sassy daughter, and of course a kind and considerate mother named florida. All these characters rolled into one family made one of the best comedies for the family of it's kind. Anyone who has seen the show know that it was a good show. There were many side characters that made minor appearences but were not to important. Watch the reruns if you can. -NarutoShippuden.
  • Good Times Still ROCKS today.

This show is a classic. I still watch it everyday on TV Land. This show showed how a real family struggles everyday and stays together through the tough times. It is still as wonderful today as it was when it came out years ago. J.J. made the show absolutley funny. He could made everyone laugh even in the worst of times. He sure thought he was DYNOMITE. I also like that it showed how there were gangs even then but with good parenting you could keep your kids on the right track and out of the gangs. I think the show still ROCKS.
  • Good Times reminds me of my Aunt Ruth & Uncle George who also used to live in the Ghetto of Southside of Chicago. Just the almost the same exact setting of the show as to apposed in realality of my Uncle George & Aunt Ruth.

I wish that there is a real life of JJ Evens and the whole family like that, but living in a middle class neighborhood over by Midway Airport, most of it are mostly white; but now becomming a little more mixed now.

The Show it self, I fell in love with the whole cast, because I can relate to it as well by visualizing it as seeing everyone as all kinds of races...
  • I thought this show was dyn-o-mite!! It was funny, controversial and opened a lot of eyes to what was going on in the black community.

Good Times was a brilliant portrayal of life in the black community. It touched on a lot of controversial subjects like buying dog food when you couldn\'t afford real food, racism, standardized tests, inflation and lots more. When you watch this show now, people growing up in this day and age can relate to some of the issues of the day (poverty, inflation, child abuse) that were hot topics back then because these are some of the same issues we are still dealing with today. Kudos to Norman Lear for being gutsy enough to bring these very real issues into the living rooms of America
  • Norman Lear, the executive producer of many popular and funny sitcoms was known for his characters. Of course there was Fred G Sanford on Sanford and Son, George Jefferson on The Jeffersons, Archie Buncher on All in the Family and then there was \"JJ\".

Good times had the supporting cast and the talented stars to pull them away from the competition. JJ Walker who played the famous \"JJ\" was in my mind in the elite of funny guys from the past. He potrayed this character who was addicted to painting, wearing colorful clothes and asking his mother to make him some Kool-Aid. JJ was originally cast in a supporting role but similar to situation on Family Matters, the show would of not been the same without Walker\'s character. JJ became a star along with Esther Rolle and John Amos. We all know John Amos left show early on because of a contract dispute and it did in some ways affect the show.

Additionally, Getting back to the supporting cast aspect that saved the show. JJ a few years into the show was the model product of Good Times and the show continued to get better with the addition of Janet Jackson and all the addtional funny and serious characters. JJ made the show but the show would of not been the same if there was no chemistry within the cast.

DYNOMITE!
  • Even though it was before my time I always enjoy watching it. Great show!

This show is a mark in Back History. It showed an African American(around middle class) many ups and downs. Especailly around this time, I'm sure it had a lot of viewers that could relate to it. It gave a way to show what issuse black people have to go through. I love the theme song. I give this show a standing ovation.
  • A Very Informative Show.

We can all agree that Good Times was ahead of its time indeed and a very Great and yet Informative show at that. Sure we laughed at J.J, James, Micheal, Florida, Thelma, and Willona but at the same time we learned. Good Times taught the world about ghetto life and how "stratchin' and surviving" were a daily routine. They taught us the true meaning of "Keeping your head above water" and "Making a wave when you can". Tackling on different subject matters taught the world about: Hypertension, Gangs, Violence, and most all ghetto life. Ain't we lucky we got'em!!
  • When will season 6 for Good times be available. Or at least the first few episodes like 112? It has Janet Jackson and was very funny.I have been waiting for 20 years or more to see and ownn that episode.

Is it possible to purchase Good Times episode 112
    the 6 th season Florida\\\'s home coming: the wedding. This is one of the last shows for Good Times. It was very funny and to see other famous
    actors.
    If not, do you know when? thanks.It is a very good episode.
    Alworth.Johnson@wellcare.com
  • Ok I am confused-was not MAUDE(which Esther Rolle was the maid-and got her own show) set in Tuckahoe,NEW YORK? how then did Good Times end up in Chicago? That would be a heck of a commute for anyone-let alone a maid. Someone please help me out with this o

Ok I am confused-was not MAUDE(which Esther Rolle was the maid-and got her own show) set in Tuckahoe,NEW YORK? how then did Good Times end up in Chicago? That would be a heck of a commute for anyone-let alone a maid. Someone please help me out with this one. Thanks!!!!
  • Good Times was an incredible show that protrayed Black America in a positive light. The show was an outstanding reflection of Black Pride. And it should be syndicated today on all stations.

Good times is outstanding, an incredible reflection of Black pride and our struggle and our desire to succeed in spite of continuing obstacles. It should be in syndication on all stations today. The show revealed the struggles of Black America and our unyielding committment to succeeding regardless of the struggle.
  • A great show on CBS. It represents the struggle blacks have to overcome and cherish the good times they have with one another.

\"Good Times\" is a great african american show. I hope people watch this show. You could learn from their struggles. I know I did!! I love watching this show. JJ is so funny. Thelma is a fine foxy woman. The parents are wonderful. The rest of the cast are just great talented actors.
  • The seventies were turbulent times for minorities, and Good Times showed America how tough it really was.

Good Times touched a nerve in us all, not only did we become fond of the characters but we learned to feel their pain. Every week we watched as the Evans family coped with Biggots, racists,thugs,and the economic pressures of the 70's.

But like all close knit families they leaned on each other for support. The cast was endearing and we loved them all as if we knew them. It was as real as it could get, all the while opening our eyes to reality.

Good Times was a trailblazing show in the sense that it started a trend of all-black sit-coms. The Jeffersons, What's Happening, and later the Cosby show gave us a look into black america, that most had never seen.

I grew up watching these shows because they all had one thing in common--Humanity. We all had a friend like JJ,or Roger. We all had a Neighbor like Wilona, and we all had words with our siblings like Thelma.

Good Times will always have a special place in the annals of TV history but more importantly,in our hearts.
  • Good Times!

Even though the show was on TV before I was born ('79) I watched it when I was younger and I still love it to this day. It was a groundbreaking series, not just because it was based on a black family, but because it dealt with some real life issues that blacks went thru at that time. Well it did half the time. It had its mix of comedy,social issues and problems,etc. etc. It was what it was. A funny show that showed no matter how hard the struggle is you keep ya head up and keep going. Excellent Series.
  • An appreciation and a Thank You for Esther Rolle.

When \"Good Times\" first aired, I was a young child - four years old, to be exact - whose parents just seperated, and while watching Esther Rolle (Florida Evans) I can remember wishing that Florida would be my mom.

She had a way of conducting herself, no matter what the situation, that excuded class, elegance, and love of her family and her fellow man.

She was a tough, but fair, and very supportive of her kids, her husband, and her friends.

She had a way of making the audience fall in love with her, and making you pull for her no matter what the situation.

To Esther Rolle, even though she is no longer with us, I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me through a very rough period in my life.

Whether you realize it or not, your potrayal of Florida Evans taught me many of life\'s little lessons which I still use today . . . thirty years later.

Dave Brown
    DeBeaux28@yahoo.com
  • Clasiical show

one of the funniest shows in the 70's especially with j.j in the cast. Who i think woithout him it wouldn't of been many goodtimes because he kept everyhbody up on the show with his energetic, funny, and goofy personality. Truly a classic. I still laugh to this day. Especially when j.j. does Dynomite!!!!! If you can't remember the show no other way that is definitly one way to remember it by.
  • Dynomite!

JJ and the family were a forced that wouldn't be ignored in their day. Even those people who haven't seen Good Times for themselves know either the characters, scenario or the famous catch-phrase. Back in the 1970's, black families going through hard times was a very real part of life. However, the love and loyalty the Evans family had for one another was rarely displayed in many shows in its day. No matter what rough times they struggled through, they stayed together and managed to keep the humor going through it all. My favorite person on the show-at the time, it was Michael because I thought he was cute :)
  • Good Times was a good time.

Good Times was a good time. I remember watching the show when I was young and laughing at JJ and his antics. It was a great show however to teach kids what respect was for their parents and what family meant. Their dad did everything to support his family. When JJ had to take over taking care of his family he stepped up to the plate. It was a comedy with sad undertones at times. It showed a side of life that is usually not shown on TV. The poor and underprivlidged. Things were not all roses for them. They showed the struggle in life and how to make the best of it.
  • The experience of a family trying to survive in a Chicago housing projects in the 1970's.

Good Times was an excellent portrayal for that era. The acting was overall outstanding. The only thing that it lacked was that it never really protrayed the Evans Family as fully making it out of the ghetto. Even though the family stayed together and made it together, I would probably have a better appreciation for it the show writers/producers could have allowed the viewers to see the Evans familys\' life outside of living in the Chicago projects.
  • Dealt with serious issues

Good Times really did a good job dealing with issues such as drug use and child abuse. Most people think the show was better in the early years before John Amos left but I liked it better after his character died. I just never liked his character. I always thought he was kind of a bully, much like my own father was. To this day though I can't look at an iron without thinking of Janet Jackson. I am really glad this show turned up on Nick at Nite. It hasn't aired in several years and it is a welcome addition.
  • Best comedy show ever!

Good Times is one of my favorite comedy show. My favorite character is J.J. He's always talking nonsense and acting foolish. J.J is always getting dissed by his family and what I especially like is when he says "Dynomite!" That was hilarious! I never got over that. Another thing funny about him is the way he dresses. His clothes are bright colors which made him look like a clown. Anyway, too bad this show is canceled. Even though I would like for this show to come back on, I doubt it because this show is so old. You have got to watch this show for yourself. This show may be canceled, but you can at least watch the re-runs on a different channel that I forgot.
  • this show was great and showed a way of life some people might not be used to.

O.K. I'm sorry for this and everyone who reads this is going to want to kick me in the head, but this show really is DY-NO-MITE !! It was funny, and it showed how the Evan's family people made it through life, there was not really an agenda with it suprisingly with Norman Lear. It was a great show, even though the character of Wilona, sometimes laughed at her jokes more than the audience did. It wasn't just comedy either, they had some real serious episodes, with such issues, as child abuse, death, drugs etc, it was kind of like an after school special except it was funny.
  • We've heard many inspiring stories of people living in the ghetto or in very poor conditions, but the Evans family took the good and turned it into a positive. Though the Evans family didn't have much money, they were thankful for what they had and staye

This is one of my favorite shows, as I have many, but like Highway To Heaven, it's very inspiring. I'm not trying to compare this show to Highway To Heaven, but the Evans family didn't have much in life, but were thankful for the things that they did.

This show may not be a 'true story' of how it is to live in the ghetto, but that's not really what the show is about, least in my opinion. This show was a great show, because the Evans family worked hard, and wanted the very best for their three children. The Evans family tried and tried to survive, and when things were tight and looking negative for the family, they turned it around and held onto each other tight.

This show can currently be seen on TVLand and the TVOne network.

• A family comedy set in an apartment building.

This was a pretty good comedy for it's time. I would not be excited about watching it in reruns. Esther Rolle stared as the mother Florida Evans. John Amos was the father James Evans. Jimmie Walker played their son James "J.J." Evans Jr.. Singing sensation Janet Jackson played Penny Woods before she was a singer. At this point she was just know as Michael Jackon's little sister. Other stars included Ja'net DuBois as Willona Woods Ralph Carter, as Michael Evans, Johnny Brown as Nathan Bookman, Ben Powers as Keith Anderson and BernNadette Stanis as Thelma Evans Anderson. Again. a pretty decent show for it's day. but it just doesnt hold up very well.
  • Groundbreaking

Good Times is probably best known for one catch phrase. Dyn-o-mite! A catch phrase that was used entirely way too much. In the beginning, it appeared that they looked for ways to fit it in, and it seemed forced at times.

But Good Times was much more that a catch phrase. It was not the first TV show to feature an African American family, but it's one the earliest ones, one of the best known, and one of the most successful in it's day.

Good Times featured The Evans, an African American family living in the projects of Chicago. Much of the episode plots were about trying to make ends meet, through working multiple jobs, frequently being laid off and unexpected expenses. They did it with impeccable ethics and morals.

The writers and producers of the show were also not afraid to tackle important social issues. Everything from alcohol and drugs to child abuse to gangs to civil rights. And not necessarily pertaining just to African Americans, but civil rights that effect us all.

The Evans were a role model for us to follow, people of all colors. The continued moral of the show was to keep on keeping on. Also to never give into the temptations of easy money, when it costs you more in the long run.
  • A great show, showed how many people struggle making ends meat.

This is one show that survived for a reason, even though it was an african-american family it showed what it's like to struggle. Sometimes it was "where's the next meal coming from?" This happens to many families of many different colors. I'm glad this show shed some light on what it's like to struggle and how difficult life can be. It was one show I think a lot of people can relate to on so many levels. I mean I never grew up in the ghetto, but I understand what it's like to struggle and wondering where do we go next. I love this show even though it's before my time, it was cancelled a year before I was born.
  • If it didn\'t have Jimmy Walker turning the show into a total farce, it\'d be a 10/10. John Amos\' being sacked only hurt things as well. He and Esther Rolle made the show.

The first season did feel a tad forced, but it also gave us \"Black Jesus\". Each epsiode was thought provoking, and noble... especially the 1st season story where the school wants to shove JJ forward, and Florida and James see to it that JJ stays behind to get a proper education. This is great stuff!

Season 2 is when things started to slide. \"Dyn-o-mite\" became \"Kid Dyn-o-mite\" and Jimmy Walker hammed up his stringbean body at every opportunity. It\'s funny, and this season has quite a few things to say, but JJ overtook the show and, in retrospect, it suffers for it - even if his antics were riotiously funny at the time. The social context, which John Amos and Esther Rolle wanted and dervered was somewhat diminished.

Season 3 only continued the diminishing path despite a strong season opener where James buys a gun... and it became easy to tell when John or Esther walked out of an episode. Oh, it often dealt with meaty subjects, but the dynomite duds were still there.

The show also had John saying the N-word. While the scene (lacking Michael) in season 2 where JJ wants to take a rich neighbor to the prom and James Sr confronting her haughty parents feels natural... his doing it again in season 3 was just an empty ratings grab. (I don\'t recall the episode either except he gets to say it in a bar and it\'s easy to tell he\'s getting the line over as quickly as possible.)

John was ultimately fired and killed off in season 4\'s opener, leaving Florida alone. This is the situation Esther Rolle did not want from the start: A single mother scenario, she wanted a full family.

A lot of the dialogue in the series (all 6 seasons) didn\'t seem like \"authentic black dialogue\" either. (the quote came from a cable tv special from a few years ago.) There were times when I could spot this, mostly because it\'s a typical one-liner from JJ.

The only thing is, I felt the VD episode (which had John and Esther walking out) was a worthy one.

The first three seasons are all worth viewing, no argument there at all. But JJ does grate and once John Amos is gone, the show flounders.
< 1 2