Gossip Girl Forums

The CW (ended 2012)

Is it just me or is Serena REALLY annoying?

iheartgreys101

[1]Dec 9, 2009
    • level: 5

Ever since the show started, i've strongly disliked serena's character. ive read the books and i LOVED serena in it, the serena in there was so utterly beautiful and things just sort of 'happened' around her and she never actually did anything herself. Serena in the show has no life, is all about going out with new guys (and then sleeping with them) and pretending to be innocent all the time. she goes away for a year of partying and slutting it up in Europe and when she comes back, its apparent to us that she has very mediocre grades at school (the episode where the new headmistress or whatever thinks she stole the key to the school's pool). YET she gets into Yale over Blair, and then proceeds to get into Brown! HOW? none of us have any idea. She stole Nate from Blair once, and then, due to her inability to find a decent guy, jeopardizes Dan's college money and all her mom's friends money when that Gabrielle dude comes into the scene. Oh yeah, and she slept with him too. And now this season, she just decides not to go to Brown, on that vague, stoner excuse of needing to 'find herself'. Is she doing charity work or helping out at home? No, she gets a job in PR where she can wear her favourite tiny outfits and make out with a movie star. Really awesome substitute to going to Brown! Oh and I almost forgot about her screwing over Chuck in the beginning of the season. She ruins everything around her and thats why she cant have a steady relationship with anyone.

haha sorry if you're a Serena fan, i just wanted to rant and wondered if anyone else shared my opinion, because all i've heard is how gorgeous she is, and not how annoying she is. and don't even get me started on that incoherent mumbling and that foggy expression of hers lol. i actually like blake lively, so its nothing against the actress, just how annoying the character is on the show!

thanks for listening

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

luvos_united

[2]Dec 9, 2009
    • level: 14
    I agree. Serena as a character is one big mess, like the writers don't really know what to do with her. One moment she's this sweet, caring girl protective of her brother and the next she's slutting it up in NYC.

They also try to make her vulnerable every freaking season finale (hopefully not this one)! We were lead to believe that Serena learnt from her past mistakes in season 1 and then they just spiralled her into a character that's become so annoying you just want to pull her pretty blonde hair!

freeflyah

[3]Dec 9, 2009
    • level: 3

Yep, I find her character utterly anoying for the same reasons. And she WAS likeable in the books.

No continuity in character development at all. Writers faults.

Can't say much for Blake as an actress either, I watched Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and did not find her memorable in any way, xept the pretty hair.

That's probably why so many people prefer the book character of the TV character.

sellie12

[4]Dec 9, 2009
    • level: 18
    I like the show-Serena compared to book-serena. All she did was party in the books. At least in the series, she does something else. Even if it's annoying others.

iheartgreys101

[5]Dec 12, 2009
    ok good so i'm not the only one lol. when i first heard about gossip girl being turned into a tv show, i thought maybe they'd pick mischa barton or even the actress who played kaitlin (mischa's character's sister) in the O.C, since it was the creators of the O.C and all. i mean, mischa can be really annoying too, but atleast she really is lovely without meaning to be. blake lively is really fun and all, but she's not drop dead gorgeous like the book serena was supposed to be. and i feel they're just overdoing her sluttiness to make her look that gorgeous and its annoying. i didnt like blair in the books but leighton's just turned her into such a lovable character, she's now my favorite! guess it goes to show how the choice of actress can affect your opinions on the character.

electricpeppers

[6]Dec 15, 2009
    • level: 26
    She can be irritating and somewhat stupid, but I like her a lot!

animequeen52

[7]Dec 15, 2009

I couldn't agree more. all they seem to do is try and make her out to be is some sweet innocent person that everything happens with out her doing a thing to provoke it. I agreed to a point with that in the first season. but from then on it was the same crap over and over again. Serena meets guy, Serena falls for guy, then guy turns out to be a jack-a$$ or Serena does something stupid then breaks up with guy after having a major revelation, which ten secounds later she forgets and does the same stupid thing again. At least with all the other characters they keep the lessons that they have learned overteh seasons, I mean even Blair has grown some what passed all the lying and scheming since the start of the show. But Serena?? Even with everyone, and I mean EVERYONE!! telling her not to do something she has to find something how ever small or big it is in their life and throw it back at them as an excuse for her actions. The girl is a walking disaster and someone, ANYONE please needs to ether find a way to send her off to "find herself" for real or give us a line of episodes where she finally gets some sense slapped into her and it stays there, because I can't take much more of this and I love the show.

P.S. ~ Anyone notice that they are starting to do the same thing with the character of Jenny??? Running away to be a designer. Trying to hook up with Nate. Being queen is everything but she wants her friends to also be friends exept when she treats them like minions. Selling drugs for the fun of it and to stay as queen. The girl is one sex tape or jail cell away from becoming Serena's "mini me." I think we can only handle one clueless drama-queen disaster at a time please.

AnilThornberry

[8]Dec 15, 2009
    • level: 19
    Agree about Serena but Blake is like one of the hottest stars around now. She's attractive and pulls off a good Serena.

sguaj

[9]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 6
    Serena is annoying she got into Yale because she appeared in a magazine that the Dean saw. She never seems to grow up no matter the mistake. Maybe if mommy actually cuts the money strings and actually put down her foot for once, but i think that ship has sailed. There are times i can see that sweet person she can be and then she just revert to being shallow. It is a bit sad all things considering.

niceisgood

[10]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 2

I liked Serena in the beginning but now she's truly just annoying. And the Nate/Serena storyline makes me wanna vomit. I always hate the girl that screws up over and over again and still kind of get everything.

And seriously she's not that hot. Blair is hundred times more beautiful.

serene004

[11]Mar 9, 2010
    • level: 3

Yes she is!!! I mean I can understand where she's coming from, like her mother's past life sorta mirrors Serenas', but Lily is still an awesome character. And in the beginning I was extremely sympathetic to Serena and realized she's doing justice to her character; but by now I'd expect more character development and maturity. Regardless of all that Blair does, she's an extremely likable character; but Serena is getting to the point where she just keeps making horrible choices in guys; and I dislike Nate equally. I never read the books, so if they are basing it on the books maybe she's just doing what the character needs....I still see her as increasingly irritable. I watch it for Blair-Chuck; and I like Dan, Rufus, Lily, and though some might disagree but Vanessa and Dakota are awesome; Jenny, Eric...all make the show more enjoyable. If Serena becomes a Saint, we all know the show would lose it's spark and there wouldn't be much "gossip" left; regardless a lil change in her character might do the show some good.

pgsuperfan

[12]Mar 9, 2010
    • level: 25

She is annoying the character has changed a lot since the first season

LeytonTLA

[13]Mar 11, 2010
    • level: 16

they need to hurry up and put her back with dan!!

BonesnBones

[14]Mar 11, 2010
    • level: 10

She does sound whiny a lot of times during the show. I used to love Blake Lively and interest in her has gone down since Gossip Girl. I like her as Serena but she sounds like a whiny spoiled brat a lot during the show.

Keguri

[15]Mar 17, 2010
    • level: 12
    Serena and I have to add Blair have been continuously annoying through the whole show, the other characters are annoying at different times.

Right now most of them are annoying, but I love Gossip Girl, hopefully all the characters can grow up soon and do something semi-mature

AnnaMancienn

[16]Mar 17, 2010
    • level: 1

i tink she is really annoyin too. i can't stand her

angrodpallanen

[17]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 22
    serene004 wrote:

Yes she is!!! I mean I can understand where she's coming from, like her mother's past life sorta mirrors Serenas', but Lily is still an awesome character. And in the beginning I was extremely sympathetic to Serena and realized she's doing justice to her character; but by now I'd expect more character development and maturity. Regardless of all that Blair does, she's an extremely likable character; but Serena is getting to the point where she just keeps making horrible choices in guys; and I dislike Nate equally. I never read the books, so if they are basing it on the books maybe she's just doing what the character needs....I still see her as increasingly irritable. I watch it for Blair-Chuck; and I like Dan, Rufus, Lily, and though some might disagree but Vanessa and Dakota are awesome; Jenny, Eric...all make the show more enjoyable. If Serena becomes a Saint, we all know the show would lose it's spark and there wouldn't be much "gossip" left; regardless a lil change in her character might do the show some good.

Fully agree. She makes dumb decisions and never makes up her mind. She's very close to real teenager girls that way, but all the other characters are maturing, and she's just being retarded. I too watch the show for Chuck and Blair, the others are ok, but every other character beside B&C annoy me at one point. Sometimes, GG is the best show around, and sometimes, they should have a Chuck and Blair wedding where everybody but the married couple (and Dorota) gets shot.

greysanatomy12

[18]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 16

she is totally obnoxious.i can't stand her..

charmed4eva112

[19]Mar 29, 2010
    • level: 20
    She's definately not my favourite character, and she may be annoying half the time but she does mirror a slightly overexaggerated version of an actual teenager. We teenagers can never make up our minds; we make stupid decisions but the issue with Serena is that she doesn't learn from them. At all really. She chooses all the wrong guys, doesn't listen to a soul about anything and always has to get what she wants, which I guess is similar to a teenager.

Also, what is Serena really good at? We've never seen her really progress at one thing. Blair, well, she's smart all around, Dan's good at writing, Jenny in fashion, Vanessa in film, Chuck in his dad's business, and Serena in... what, being a publicist? We never see her sticking to anything and most of the time, she gets a job because of her beauty. So, what is Serena good at? We'll never really know. She needs to revert back to her season 1 ways, when we could all at least tolerate her. She needs a steady boyfriend (who is NOT Nate because I actually don't mind him!) and she needs to find a job that she sticks to for a whole season. Please, writers, turn Serena back into the nice, steady girl she used to be.

kosmos100

[20]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 12
    He needs Dan, but I doubt that's gonna happend till the end of the show.