Gossip Girl

The CW (ended 2012)

neomichel

Gossip Girl Fan Reviews (373)

• What does young adult wants? Watch this show and you wont find out! Yo will find love, romance, edgy characters with witty lines....

... and you might.... just might get to see a really fantastic glimpse of the newest and hottest series to land on television right now. After watching the pilot, I was blown away over the characters, the plots, the possibilities and the future this show has. Teenage romance woven with intrigue and drama, mixed with a dash of new thinking and fresh faces, topped off with Taylor Momsen - my absolute favorite actress in this show. If you have no time for more than two Drama shows this season, you should seriously consider adding this show to your list. There is no other romantic drama that will rival it...

See this Show!
  • Up in Canada we get this show one day before the CW airs it.

This seems to look like it going to be a great show. In canada we have already aired this show last night on Tuesday on CTV and it started off a bit confusing but let the box open right away. This show has potential to be good but it all depends on the viewers and if CW actually has faith in a show besides 7th heaven and Girlfriends. I really hope this is a hit but then again you never knwo what can happen first episode was good lets hope that the second one is just as good. Tuesday 8pm on CTV.
  • At first confusing But at the end it keeps you interested. Cruel Intentions the TV show

7.8
    It does seem you have to be a fan of the books or have
    read some of the books in order to know whats going on.
    It's a little confusing, which is why it needs a second
    viewing just to keep the characters straight.

Kristin Bell is great as the narrator(Gossip Girl)
    but was a little annoyed at the shortened forms
    of the names she gives.(ex. B and S are fighting/C and J are talking at the party)

The show is also more grown up than your average teen drama, which is a nice relief. I think this show will get better in the future, and here's hoping it does.
  • Interesting show

I liked the pilot, it's very interesting the way the blogger tells all the stories. She knows everything and seems to be around everytime something happened. Most of the characters are clear, you know exactly what they are like. With a few that still are a bit of a mystery, but I am sure we will find out more in time. I can't wait to find out what happens next. Hmm who's the mysterious blogger??? I hope they keep it from us as long as possible, dropping covered hints here and there so we can puzzle our way through. I like the show, keep it up!!!!
  • A look into the lives of the teenage children of the super-wealthy Upper East Siders. Narrated by a blogger who keeps track of the goings on of these socialite teens as they deal with return of former party girl Serena, and the fallout that follows.

I thought this was going to be stupid, but I read some reviews and heard it was actually very good, so I checked it out. It is well written and the acting is not bad either.

I like the character of Blair, the former party girl redeeming herself is now the outsider on the social scene. I think this will cause her to build her relationship with Dan, and then eventually their parent's past will come back to drive a wedge in their relationship.

Blair definatley plays that word rhyming with witch all to well, kind of reminds me of Summer from The O.C. without the comedic relief. I'm sure as time will pass we will start to feel sorry for her, I mean her dad left her mom for another man and her mom seems like she puts a lot of pressure on her to be the "it" girl.

Then there is Nate, the golden boy, he plays it like he is not even all there, I feel he will do somethign shocking, something his controlling father will not approve of as time passes, and I see him being a part of some love triangles.

Chuck is the rich bad boy that this show needs, definately one of the most well acted characters of the show. It doesnt seem like he will have any real drama, he just an ass.

Definately going think its worth giving a shot.
  • very interesting

ok so i have never read the gossip girl books but i thought i would check out the show becuase i didnt have anything else to watch on wednesday's...so i tuned in and i absolutely love the show...there was so much drama with serena and blair...and then chuck trying to force himself on not one but two girls...and then finding out that serena and nate slept together...and that her brother tried to kill himself...then in comes dan the sweet loner who just happens to be in the right place at the right time and ends up scoring a date with the girl he has secretly been in love with...all this drama and its only the first episode...this could easily turn into my new favorite show...
  • A thirtysomethings perspective

3.3
    Although I typically find the teenage dramas a bit much (apart for my irrational, undying love for the outrageously over-the-top One Tree Hill), I heard a lot of buzz about Gossip Girl, so I decided to give it a try. It was as dissapointing as I feared. Let's look at what does and doesn't make sense.

Gossip Girl is a faceless narrator who apparently sees all and reports it on a blog. Okay, I can see that happening in this day and age.

There's Serena, a former popular girl who is returning from a year spent in boarding school in Conneticut. She lives in a hotel with her mother and drinks martinis at the hotel bar. Now, let's stop right there. I know these types of kids; I attended boarding school myself and grew up in an affluent family. But drinking martinis in an upscale hotel bar? Yeah, right- in my fantasies.

And I couldn't help but notice- Serena looks as old as her mother. But perhaps this is the result of a substance abuse problem (like, say, alcoholism)? Substance abuse can make people look old and harsh, so I'll reserve judgment on this one.

Serena and her mother are hiding a shameful secret- Serena's brother (Eric) attempted suicide and is staying in a hospital. True, people are hospitalized for suicide attempts- for a few days at the most. Then they typically have to return to school. Why is that such a shameful secret? Is this set in the sixties?

Apparently, one thing Serena did before going to boarding school was sleep with her best friend, Blair's, boyfriend (Nate). Watching this scene unfold in flashback, I had to laugh. On TV, teens are portrayed like adults who just happened not to have lived as long. But let's get real about adolescents sleeping together. In real life, they have trouble finding where things are, even more trouble figuring out where to put things, and the whole event is shorter than the flashback scene was on the show. This is the voice of experience talking.

The competitive nature of Serena and Blair's friendship, however, was very realistic, I'll give the show that.

The wallflower Dan was lovable, of course- too shy to introduce himself to his crush Serena and kind enough to leave his first date with her to rescue his sister, Jenny, from attempted date-rapist Chuck.

Chuck is your typical wealthy, entitled sleazebag teen who will make a great party boy. But Nate's father convining Nate to continue his relationship with Blair to help out with a business deal? Since when did a teenage romance become that influential? And the whole idea that they've been dating since kindergarten? Please. Only other teens would actually find that even credible.

It's not even a question of credibiltiy. Some of my most favourite shows have no credible premise. Prison Break, Battlestar Galactica. Rather it's the execution. I found it to be dull, drab and akward. There is no real stand-out character, all the girls look the same, all the guys look the same. Recycled O.C.

So, I'm left mystified with what makes Gossip Girl so highly recommended by the critics. The under-18 set will probably find this show thrilling, but for the grown-ups, I'm sure Dirty Sexy Money, Cane, or Big Shots will be more interesting.
  • It's no Veronica Mars, but what's not to like? Teenagers who Obscenely wealthy, ruleless, and in the heart of Manahattan?

I read this series way before anyone knew they were going to make it a show on the CW and personally, I'm really excited. Sure, it isn't any Veronica Mars or anything, but I think its gonna be really good. Anyone who's read the book knows that the author can write, and true, they didn't stay strict to what happens in the book. ( i mean, dans dad and serena's mom? Eric suddenly becoming younger than Serena and trying to commit suicide? ) but if they did stay strict, it wouldn't have been as interesting because everyone would know what happens.

I think the charachters could use a little depth and that they should stay on the tracks, but over all the show was really good and extremely enthralling.
  • This show is about privaleged teens in the upper east side of NYC and their crazy senior year.

This show was alright. It was interesting but it was nothing like the book. They changed Nate completely, Jenny was supposed to be brunette adn big-chested, Blair was supposed to be only about 5'4", and dan's hair was supposed to be scruffy. Also since when was Rufus still in love with his wife. And my last complaint is why were the characters talking about attending dartmouth? they all wanted to go to Yale in the book. But besides that, most of the events in the show were kind of similar to the events in the book. I do love the show but i think they changed it a little too much.
  • Cool, interesting Show, about the life of some teenage girls in New York City

Interesting show with nice actresses, I am excited to see the next episode and how the show will go on.
    To watch the life of these girls in Manhatten..the ups and downs in this big city..

I didn't watch Veronica Mars, just some episodes...but I liked the actresses in this Show.
    And Gossip Girl will be like I think interesting especially because the story is written by Josh Schwarts the maker of The O.C.

The O.C. was one of my favourite shows...I like the stories about girls who live in this huge town, with money, fame, lo ve, life and all this stuff. Like in Gossip Girl^^
  • This is the perfect show for those of you who grew up with the gang from 90210. Same theme (poor little rich kids), 21st century update. This time around, the setting is Manhattan and an elite prep school.

I grew up with the classics of the WB (Felicity, Dawson's Creek, Gilmore Girls, etc) and was nervous when the network morphed into the CW. The programming just wasn't the same. After the cancellation of Gilmore Girls last spring, I wasn't sure I'd be tuning into the fledgling network for anything other than America's Next Top Model and One Tree Hill, two of my favorite guilty pleasures. I decided to give it a shot. Hell, Private Practice may not make it, so I need something to watch Wednesdays at 9. For whatever reason, America is facinated with beautiful rich kids, and this group of Manhatanites are no different. You have the knock-out with a shady past, the virgin with a cheating boyfriend, the nobody with a thing or the knock-out and plenty of other stereotypes running around creating havoc in each others lives. Its not an original concept, but the writing is good enough to keep the attention of the adult crowd (myself included). I say give it a shot. Beverly Hills 90210 has become a classic, and I suspect Gossip Girl will follow suit.
  • Bad acting brings down the show, along with it's dependency on sex, though the actual plot is interesting...if it could be delivered better.

6.2
    I was literally annoyed by the acting in Gossip Girl. It's a drama so it HAS to have good acting. I found better acting in Back to You. That says A lot. Sorry fans-but just like Star Wars the acting is below par (though I LOVE Star Wars).

It's also annoying the fact that the show depends on sex. It could have sex parts in it, but the fact that the pilot had so much sex attempts and sex scenes brings down the show. To much sex in a drama ruins the plot.

Not all life in a private school is about sex (I know I go to one...), and I would personally like the show the emphasizing less on it.

The plot...while it has a good plot it's delivered BADLY. I mean badly. It could have been done better-but I was vastly stating to myself how I would have done it.

I'll watch one more episode....for the girls. They are HOT! Well...except for the main blond. Her little pimble-thing ruins her otherwise perfect face.
  • Appealing enough for a second and third episode.

Looks like teenage shows seem to have kick ass soundtracks and this one it's great from the start. I particularly liked the mixed feelings and emotional intense scenes with Serena. This show will have a lot to prove but with The O.C. and Veronica Mars fans looking for a new Tvshow of the kind i can see a lot of people growing found of Gossip Girl. Choosing Kirsten Bell for the narrator part was a solid move, it really adds up a new element with her voice although it sounds a bit like a women and less like a teenage girl. It's still to soon to tell but you can count me in for the next episodes.
  • This is awesome, perhaps better than the O.C

I fell in love with the O.C almost at once and my infatuation grew and grew. This time I'm an addict from the off. I love the show so much and have watched the first episode about 5 times!

I don't know what it is about these teen dramas but I love them. The opportunity to see in to the lives of others is one we all dare not miss. Even though its not the greatest show on earth (that is prison break/OTH) its still really really addictive. The cast aren't the greatest of actors but Schwartz is an absolute genius (not only for the O.C) and so I hope he can only match the success he had there. The only thing I pray happens is that they don't drag it on over several seasons since that often ruins shows (prison break) but we all knowL: good ratings = many seasons = loadsa cash

Regardless, if you liked the o.c / one tree hill you should love this.
    By the by how comical is gossip girl herself in the way she talks/describes everything

I classified it guilty pleasure since I know when I watch this I should be doing something better and more productive but it is sooo good
  • First impression: they moved "The Bold and the Beautiful" to primetime.

This is a very demographic-specific show. If you're a pre-teen, teen, or just got out of prep-school then you'll find alot to like about this "Bold and the Beautiful" daytime drama done at night. But if you're an adult (not the creepy kind) and/or parent of a teen then you'll despise almost every aspect of this show. I personally agree with alot of the naysayers here, the acting is melo-dramatic, if it's any good at all, and the show would be a farce if you added a laugh track instead of the hip pop background tunes. The show has gobs of plausibility issues, too, but again, the targeted demo don't care about such technicalities, they're too busy seeing themselves and their friends in these characters.
  • Based on a series of books and an interesting possible new show. (spoilers)

7.4
    Serena and Blair are former best friends and call each other S and B. S went off to boarding school the year before and has now returned, a former queen bee who claims to have reformed her previous bad-girl ways. Her return has started the gossip mill going and the blog that gives the whole gang all their info on each other (narrated by Kristen Bell) has many different theories, none of which include the attempted suicide and hospitalization of S's little brother. B, meanwhile, wants nothing to do with S since her supposed best friend left for boarding school and didn't tell her why, let alone speak with her during the entire time she was gone. When she finds out that S and her current boyfriend slept with each other it means all out war.

Juxtaposed to the rich, entitled crowd are the brother and sister pair of Dan and Jenny Humphrey, the poor kids of a former rockstar and a "free spirit" who has just walked out on the family. Jenny wants to be a part of the "in crowd" so badly that she makes all of the invitations for an exclusive party where she later gets in trouble with the local Lothario. Her older brother is her protector and comes running whenever he gets a 911 text, regardless of fashion emergency or sexual assault. He's your all around good guy, invisible to the "it crowd" who plays the hero, rescuing S from an embarrassing social disaster and Jenny from Chuck. Obviously, he and S are the new couple and S and B's old boyfriend are in the past even though there are still feelings there.

Anybody else thinking that this is going to be a trashy teen soap opera? That's my thinking. I gave it a 7.4 since it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be but it has the potential to turn into the next O.C. (good for the network but far too trashy for me to watch). Also, the cast looks to be made up of solid young actors and I like the concept of never knowing who the narrator is since it's clear that its someone who's either a part of that inner crowd or someone who can get close enough to know details without being noticed. Other than that the concept of txt, blogs, and technology in general being an integral part of a show is solid and in step with the times. I also like that they don't shy away from drugs, alcohol, sex (waiting, flippantly, and as an assault), and clique politics since those are all very real issues. Overall, I found it predictable, but then most tv is. I'll have to see if it goes anywhere, could be good or horrible, but all of that is just a matter of personal taste.
  • Gossip Girls is about the life of rich kids that go to a Rich school and all the trouble the get into.

I have to admit i knew nothing about gossip girl before i watched the first episode. But the show is pretty good. I mean it's the same old formula. How many shows about high school can their be. But this one brings a new twist to things. Gossip girl is actually a character in the show that obviously wasn't revealed to us in the first episode. But I want to know who she is so bad. And what about going to prep school changed the main character to be a good girl? why did her brother try to kill himself? Will she get together with the unpopular kid? Will his sister get with the unpopular kids brother? AHHH i can't deal with the suspesne. Great first episode. Seriously
  • A story of six teens on the upper east side, Serena, Blair, Dan, Jenny, Nate, and Chuck.

Josh Schwartz has done it again! Although I didn't like it as much as the O.C, I still loved it. I've read the books, and while some people complain that it's different, I love how it's different. I love the Serena/Dan relationship, and they should be together much longer. I hate Blair, but the actress who plays her is a very good actress. The only problem I have with this show is the network. If it had been on a bigger network like FOX or NBC, it would of had better ratings. The CW has so many hidden treasures, but they don't get enough viewers. But, overall, it's a great show.
  • The pilot was rather entertaining. It will be a fun show to watch with quite good potential due to decent acting and good names behind the production. I will keep an eye out on it.

The setting is familiar: High School. The added little twist (like some shows add basketball eg One Tree Hill, or little mysteries eg Veronica Mars) is that it's a private school for mostly privileged kids, and of course the existance of the elusive Gossip Girl.

Gossip Girl, whose identity is unknown, narrates the events and runs a website which the characters often check to keep up with the latest news. The characters are likeable and seem quite well acted for the genre and the pacing is upbeat. Having lost the OC this might become a worthy replacement should they manage to keep the plotlines intriguing.

Looks promising!
  • Awesome Show!!

The pilot was surprisingly fresh and good! great acting, for a change in a teen drama and great music cap it up. Kristen Bell as the Gossip Girl is also as fresh as ever.I loved Blake Lively from the sisterhood movie and she does a neat job here. Penn Badgley is also entertaining to watch. Its surely a must watch this year! Just when the CW screwed up by cancelling Verinica Mars, they bring this show! sweet. It probably deserves a full score for a fresh, interesting pilot. The guy who plays Chuck is fun to watch. I hope it can keep up yhe steam throughout the season!
  • CW's Gossip Girl is the hottest show this fall. Teens, drama, sex, lies, scandals...What more could we ask for!

So, as a religious reader of the Gossip Girl Books by Cecily von Zeigesar, I was completely excited about the show. As I thought the show lived up to my expectations, and it's only the first episode! I really do hope that it continues on (I'm sure it will) because nothing compares to teens living a lifestyle that the rich and famous live, like drinking martinis in ritzy hotels, driving around in limos full of champagne and partying on school nights! How I wish I could live that lifestyle as a 22 year old! Anyway in episode two I hope we get to see more of Chuck being a jerk, and Dan putting him in his place with a punch to the face; maybe even Dan and Serena's relationship will blossom; and Serena & Blair? Who knows what will happen. We will see what gossip, Gossip Girl will cook up for us next time!
  • Great new show..and Kristen is Gossip Girl

Wow so i was sad to see Gilmore girls go and this bar far is no replacement but its a good try...and it is for sure a replacement for OC...Josh does great work...one thing i can say that i love is the Narration from Kristen Bell...thats right Kristen has her great acting ability and narration to this show as she is Gossip Girl. The way she keeps you riveted for what will happen next is great. Cast is awesome and i can't wait to see how the plot will unfold...hopefully it says up and strong for this season, we know the story lines will be great!
  • I'm ashamed of myself

I don't really fit into this shows projected demographic. I never watched the whole teen drama shows, other than the ocasional re run. But I have to say that I am impressed with this show so far.

All though I would not want any teenager in my family looking at the actions of these characters and thinking that some of what they are portrayed doing is acceptable behavior for a teenager. But I think some of what is seen in the show mirrors some reality. As far as the idea of peer pressure goes.

I hope that the CW can garner a good following that will help the show stay afloat, because whether I should watch or not, it looks like I am going to.
  • Serena is back and everyhing's not how she left it.

Gossip girl here with the best reveiw for the hottest new show on the CW. This show is the best. i absolutly LOVE it.Serena is the best and i absolutly fell in love with Dan, nate and chuck. they are hot. This is the perfect mixture of Drama, romance, and did i mention Drama? if you haven't caught this show then you beter watch it. It's amazing and very, very amazing. I just love Chace crawford as Nate. He is very talented at very hot he really spices things up. Ed westwick is lso very good. Playing bad boy Chuck bass.
  • Gossip girl episode one...

4.8
    Tell me why the cast is underportrayed compared to the book. Serena is supposed to be the prettiest, and is not. In fact, Blair isn't pretty enough either. Jenny, who is a brown/red head and large busted, is blonde and a B cup... WHy?? I certainly hope the author knows the shows are of no comparison to her books. However, I think Chuck plays his role very well. He most definitely has the face and personality of a schmuck. I just wish that the people responsible for the cast would have put a little more effort into portraying the characters the way they were in the book. That is the reason for character descriptions. I will still watch though.
  • Using a tried and tested formula. Hope they make it work.

I started watching this for the same reason as many others. The OC had been put to rest. It's not that OC was super fabulous or anything, but it was a good and was highly addictive.

Well after watching a couple of episodes of this new series, I'm not too sure what to think. From what I can tell, when things are riding high, then its great, otherwise its kinda slow. But for now I'll assume the slower moving scenes are to set the stage upcoming drama. Most of the characters are pretty interesting. The only one I find a little excessive is Ed. Or maybe I just don't like is acting, he overdoes it. Serena is great. Better than Marissa (OC). And her evil friend is also great. The right ingredients are there. I hope they are able to make it work. Hope this show fills the void the OC left.
  • What a great show about teenagers... We have parents who run the lives of their kids... And kids who try to make a difference and escape the stereotypes like Serena... And the high society of New York going for sunday morning's brunch... I love it!!!!!!

I love this show!! It's like Sex and the City- teenager's edition... I like very much Serena, and also Blair. I discover this show by accident and it hasn't dissapoint me yet. I like the set, cause i love New York City. I was never an O.C viewer because it showed the big life of California though here we see where Blair leaves, the big house and Dan' s little appartement that has window's doors.lol. Hope it continues like that through the season and keeps going many season. And my last wish is to see more from New York. Long live Gossip Girl!!!!
  • I'm totally hooked on this show

I can't stop watching it. Even the reruns they show on Sunday night I have to watch it. I like the guy who plays Dan. I loved the show "Do Over" he used to be on and was bummed when it was cancelled. The guy who plays Nate is hot. The guy who plays Chuck is a bit of an over actor but I think he will loosen up once he gets the feel of his character. Blake Lively who plays Surena is wonderful. I liked her in the Sisterhood movie and can't wait for the next one. This show is truly my new guilty pleasure.
  • The interesting change over from book series to tv show.

Now ive read the entire series of Gossip Girl books and really enjoyed them, so when i found out they were making a tv show based on the books i couldnt wait. Now with any book to tv/movie production, things can get lost along the way and everyone has there own image of what the characters should look like. Im quite pleased with the casting, although Jenny and Dan look nothing like how they are described in the book but i in the end i think the viewers gotta the better end of the deal. It was interesting watching the pilot episode, based on the first book, and noting what was different. For instance, where is Vanessa? I really wished they had cast her in the show, shaven head included, she was a really interesting character with her own story intertwining with most of the characters. Also, whats with Rufus and Lillian being hooked up previously? And why was Eric made to be a younger brother who tries to kill himself, hence bringing Serena back? Either way it was entertaining episode and so far i like how its going. Hopefully it can hold on and make it through the first season and continue on. Well im looking forward to seein g how the show pans out and how much of the books will actually be used.
  • After a couple of episodes, I can say with all confidence that Gossip Girl is definetly the guilty pleasure of this year. Great

So, I am 25, a post-graduate physics student, and most important male. I decidedly should not be watching this show, and if I did, I shouldn't be telling people, but the show is just good. And no one of you knows me.

The best thing is that the characters are not the typical (although in general they do fit the stereotypes) one dimenssional heartless villians, or the pure thoughts heroes. A narrator with the appropiate amount of sarcasm is always a good thing.

Even if this isn't a particularly original story (which it really isn't) it's still very fun to watch. Enjoy.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10