Gossip Girl

The CW (ended 2012)

neomichel

Gossip Girl Fan Reviews (388)

• Scotch: The New Beverage of Choice for Underage Drinkers

I finally got around to watching Gossip Girl (GG) on Netflix. I like to marathon-watch series that have ended, so this has consumed a big chunk of my time over the past few weeks. It went 5 full seasons + 10 episodes (also known as "Season 6"). I had a love-hate relationship with GG. During the first season, I was shocked at how much scotch, bubbly, and assorted mixed alcoholic drinks a bunch of freshman and juniors in high school guzzled in front of their parents and in so many upscale establishments around Manhattan. I don't think any of the main characters was of legal drinking age until GG Season 4 or 5, and yet no one EVER got carded by a barkeep (or even reprimanded by any adult for downing an 80 proof beverage in their presence). Did Drew Barrymore teach these adults NOTHING of the dangers of alcohol use by the young and privileged?? I found that disturbing, because it made it seem like teenagers drinking booze was more than just a part of their glamorous Upper East Side (UES) teenage lives it made it seem like it was a normal teen activity. I could go on about the predictable plot twists. Or the absurd amount of coincidences faced by the GG characters. Or the fact that the characters have the WORST timing EVER.. But the fact remains that the show normalizes addictive behavior. All of the characters emerge unscathed. It's a complete fairy tale, and it must be viewed as such. Taken as farce, the show is entertaining primarily because of Blair and Chuck. Nate was solid (through most of the episodes) because he was so deftly played by Chace Crawford. Beyond those 3 and the Waldorf household, though, the rest of the regular cast grated on my last nerve after several episodes. If I were to recommend this series, I'd probably suggest skipping Seasons 3 and 4 altogether. Aside from the locations and the fashion, there was little to entertain during those two seasons. That said, it was a semi-entertaining way to get nothing accomplished for a couple of weeks.