Gossip Girl

Southern Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 27, 2009 on The CW

7.8

The story lines are at an interesting place again and after a couple of weeks of disappointment, Gossip Girl finally kicks it in too high gear to close out the season. This episode marks the return of born-again Georgina Sparks. Also brought us the revival of the Nate/Blair/Chuck triangle. Something I definitely wasn't excited about.

So basically we're back to the same story line in season 1, just a bit altered? Blair is with Nate because it's easy, but she always finds her way back to Chuck. When a show reuses story lines like they did tonight, you know it's in trouble. The Vanessa & Dan scene was so painfully awkward, I was having trouble watching.

The con was an interesting story line though. You can't help but feel bad for Rufus though. Putting in all his money just to get scammed? I thought the Gabriel & Poppy thing was going nowhere but things finally came to a boil in the final scenes of the episode. Overall, good episode that sets the tone for episodes to come.
  • WOW OMG!!!!!!!!

I can't believe that Gabriel is already playing Serena... that's really messed up but i kinda figured considering he went home to Poppy in the end of last weeks episode, But i want serena and dan to get back together cause they've always been a cute couple its just everytime they get together someone or something gets in the way, and they end up breaking up....... And plus I'm still happy that Nate and Blair are back together.... But I think that Nate might be a little jelous that Blair is still friends with Chuck, because he might think that she is going to have a repeat of last year..... And I don't want Rufus to marry because then there is no chance that Dan and Serena will get back together.... A nd i always thought that when Georgina came back she wouldn't have changed but maybe strict diciplikne can change anyone. this was a good episode.......
  • The love triangle between Chuck, Nate and Blair resurfaces in a big way. Blair and Chuck work to find out what Gabriel is hiding. And Vanessa admits to sleeping with Chuck... twice!

Finally, an episode that gave me some hope for Chuck and Blair after all! The love triangle always seems to do the trick, and it was no different in yesterday's episode. Good friends Chuck and Nate start competing for Blair's attention, which can lead to only two things: a lot of drama and a lot of entertainment.
    I'm not going to lie, Serena's storylines don't usually interest me too much. But since her drama with Gabriel brought Chuck and Blair back together and into the backseat of his limo, I was actually pretty into her story this time around! There was a lot of back-and-forth going on with Blair... Nate, Chuck, and Nate again. When she left Chuck at Georgina's, my heart actually stopped. I was so frustrated! And when Nate asked Blair to move in with him, I protested... loudly! It's been a little while since this show really drew that kind of reaction from me, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it! This is not saying I haven't enjoyed the past episodes, but this one was especially good.
    So, if you're a Chuck and Blair fan, I definitely recommend watching this episode! The pair had some great scenes together, and it gave me hope that these two will get together and soon! However, if you're a Nate and Blair fan, you might get some good scenes of those two as well. But I doubt you'll appreciate it as much as a hardcore Chuck and Blair fan like myself.
  • Was that Georgina?

Look who's also back, Vanessa! Only to confess to Dan about her mishap with Chuck... twice. She was seen no where around Chuck this episode, but we missed her last episode because she'd been busy scanning for STD patches and ensuring her clean bill of health before she could drink all her sorrows away with her bff Dan. Do you blame her! After all, sleeping with Chuck did have its risks because of the many before Vanessa (many being an understatement). I wonder if Blair worried that much though? ...

Speaking of Blair and Chuck, their on-again-off-again relationship was sort of on-again-off-again again. Chuck attempted to rekindle the flame that hadn't officially blown out between them. It could be the fact that Nate was on-again with Blair that made Chuck a bit possessive of Blair (a sort). So maybe it was a coincidence that Blair and Chuck met up while Blair was stalking Serena's boyfriend (Gabriel), but it somehow felt like they were back to their old manipulative ways-working together-pulling schemes.

Isn't it funny how close Serena and Gabriel became? She was practically almost-sort-of married to the guy so it made sense right?

I didn't buy into it though, especially the motivation that got Blair into a spying spree. It only took Serena to utter the phrase "I haven't really been seeing Gabriel much lately... he just leaves" and already Blair had a mystery to solve. It was quite sloppy of Gabriel to make out with Poppy in public, wasn't he afraid that someone from Gossip Girl would pick it up- knowing how intertwined Serena's life is in Gossip Girl, or was that part of the plan?

Chuck didn't seem to mind, as long as he got to work with Blair, all of his troubles went away, he loved playing Private Eye! He even knew how much Nate hated how much time he was spending with Blair, so it was all for the better.

The reasons for which they found Gabriel out, not remembering the right bar, not getting his story straight was just to easy, it lacked the necessary challenge to solving a mystery and everything unraveled a bit too quickly in one episode.

Wait was that Georgina we saw all 'high spirited' and 'far fetched', maybe she was 'high' because that wasn't the Georgina we remembered!

The next time I expected to see Georgina would be to watch her ruthless, savage and un-worthy ways to surface again, that it would just slap you in the face and we were slapped, but just too silly watching Georgina lather Chuck with an embrace. This storyline has been done many times over, bad girl seeks forgiveness gone bad again(...if that's the direction headed). Maybe her true colors would overcome her in episode to come after she is face to face with Blair perhaps?

She did seem more interested in going back to town when Chuck mentioned Blair's name. Was that a revenge look, or did she want to personally ask for Blair's forgiveness.

A rookie could have seen through Gabriel and Poppy's scheme, so why didn't Blair or even Chuck? This episode took over the revelation of Poppy and Gabriel's scam for money, so it's confirmed, they just used Serena to squeeze some cash out of her (another storyline which had been done many times before). I laughed when he said he loved Serena and choose her over Poppy (of course we all knew it was an act).

Serena continues to live life on the edge, spending the more than revealing time with Serena-how did Poppy feel about that-so long as it's just for business., just until he screwed her in the ending possibly running off with the cash.

I felt a bit of compassion towards Rufus, even though I believed he acted hastily; investing into a sham without even finding out more concrete information about what he was investing into-maybe he was just desperate, but still even desperation has it's price. Did I sense a shred of guilt when Gabriel took the cash from Rufus- so stealing from the rich is alright, but to the not so fortunate you get a guilty conscience. Stealing is stealing no matter how you spin it-unless you're Robin hood and you're good with a bow and arrow, well I am all for it! :)

Extra Treats

**So Nate is Jealous of Chuck aye, how would he feel if he found out that Chuck slept with Vanessa.

"So what buddy are you going to start sleeping with all my girlfriends now hmm!"

**It's obvious the Chuck-Blair roller coaster is still going on, this machine must ware out sometime!

**Blair afraid to travel by train, hmm maybe she got too used to those limos (I meant Chuck).

**At one point I believed they were going to put Vanessa and Dan together, that would be something to talk about.

**Rufus could be proposing to Lily soon, so by law her money could be his as well, that would solve his financial debt!

**Wess, Jenny's new friend wasn't present here, I wonder if we'll be seeing more of him?

**Finally Georgina's back, what do you think her first words with Blair would be?

Gossip Girl has seen far better executed installments and even though this episode was given an okay, I really do not favor the storyline much... hoping for a change.

Lexa

For More Reviews See Below:

________________________

Three out of Five Stars

Grade C

________________________
  • Turns out Gabriel was the cold fish I always knew he was, that Nate is not as cute as he wants to be and that Chuck and Blair really can't stay away from each other. Cute episode.

So Serena seems to be in head over heels for Gabriel, even though he is yucky and has a sickening voice. Anyways; they have in Serena's words "great chemistry", but she also feels that he can never commit. This of course causes Blair to become suspicious, and gives her an excuse to ploy and scheme, of course with her usual choice of partner: Chuck. Chuck and Blair work together to find out more about Gabriel, Chuck and Nate try to stay friends while they deep down already are rivaling about Blair, Nate is jealous of Chuck and Blair and decide to ask Blair to move in with him, so that he can fully secure their relationship. Rufus is acting gruesomely thrusting to Serena's new love interest, and when Poppy, (his "ex" which it turns out he actually has an affair with, pulls her investors", Rufus decides that Gabriel's business is a good place to place all his savings. Good one Rufus. Told you that Gabriel was a cold fish. My favourite scenes in this episode was of course when Chuck and Blair woke up in the limo together. I also liked Vanessa and Dan's game of I have never, (I'm a sucker for real friendship.) Hope Bluck gets back together soon y'all! xoxo.
  • Serena's found another 'great guy' [sarcasm], Blair and Chuck set out to figure out whether Gabriel's too good to be true and Nate's Jealous of Chair interacting again....oh yeah Dan, Vanessa and Jenny are in this episode too.

*Spoilers* (Duh)

This ep Chuck and Blair actually start talking again which i was VERY thankful for, and Aaaw they got to scheme and spy, very sweet. Chuck spots Blair waiting outside Serena's place so she can follow Gabriel (she has no car or anything to do this with but what the hey), he gets out of his Limo and they watch as Gabriel runs to supposed his ex Poppy and gives her a big hug and a kiss. Blair, shocked and astounded pulls out her cell and takes a picture (which is never mentioned ever in the entire episode, did she show Serena? Blog Gossip Girl? What was the point?). Blair tells S the next day, she's sure its a misunderstanding but Blair's determined that G is "Having Poppy's cake and eating her's too". Blair tells Nate (because they're all about honesty now) and he jumps onto the fact that Chuck was with her, she assures him it was nothing and he agrees but doesn't look convinced. On a side note Nate has been trying to show Blair that the Village isn't so bad and even tries to get her onto the subway....YEAH like that's going to happen! And the episode starts with them strolling around talking about how good it'll be that they'll both be at college close by...well Nate did most of the talking. Anywho N confronts C about hanging around B, telling him to "stay away from her", C's not impressed and doesn't like the apartment N's picked out in Murray Hill between N's and B's soon to be colleges (even N's "mom is cooler then this place" - apparently), he thinks that its just a way for N to keep an eye on B. And you know what, maybe it is. B calls interrupting the angry exchange and C tells N that it's B and he's taking it outside. B wants help with the G problem, C's in. To sum up the rest of the ep:

-N asks B to move in with him, because he's jealous. She says yes, but continues to hang out with C and hates Murray Hill. Later on N asks her to stay because he loves her.

-S & G get Lily and Rufus to fund his project...okay that sounds like a bad idea, and is as P & G are up to something.

-Rufus can't sell the gallery because of the recession, so he has no money for Dan's college...you know what? Why can't Dan fund his own education? R already footed the bill for private school!

-V gets drunk and tells D about sleeping with C. She also has a really creepy convo with R, where he confesses to not having money for Dan. If something happens between those two! Ugh it's be WORSE then C and V.

-G runs off, and P comes in to find S standing there talking to C on her cell telling him that he and B were right (WOW really? Who'd thunk it that the two most manipulative ppl you know could spot a manipulator). P yells something about giving G half a mil.

-R thinks by investing with the shady G that his money problems are over.

-D and J buy their dad a vintage ring for Lily so he can propose. They saw him looking at it and pooled their money to get it and now they hope that he'll pay them back.

-Chair run off to find Georgina to see whether Gabriel met Serena that night that Georgina drugged her as he claimed. He lied, Butter was closed because B had the bartender at her place that night for her sabotage party.

-Chair sleep in the limo until visiting hours, they wake up realizing they were holding hands and begin a really cute mirrored routine of tidying themselves up. B realizes C didn't need her there at all to talk to G when he suggests she wait in the car. She's annoyed that he wanted to keep her from her first night with N in their apartment. He questions whether she's really doing all this for Serena.

-Chuck comes back from talking to crazy G to find B stole his limo and driver and stranded him there with the OMJC-sters. He gets a cab and takes Georgina back with him to NYC. She wants to see Blair.