Gossip Girl

The Goodbye Gossip Girl

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 18, 2009 on The CW

• Season 2 Finale

Nobody can deny, Gossip Girl was in a serious rut this year. The show significantly got worse after the first season and it never really did get back on track for more than one or two episodes. Just like you can't deny Gossip Girl's regression in quality, you can't deny that this was a great closeout to the season.

I actually found myself enjoying it more than last year's finale and I really didn't think that was possible especially by season 2's standards. I loved the small teases we got on who Gossip Girl was. I'm sure the writers had a lot of fun with that.

Of course all the "gossip" bombs being dropped was very eventful. I wasn't a fan of the flash forward last year, but this year, it was much needed. Georgina is back for good, the Poppy story line has ended, Serena finds her estranged father with the help of Carter, Rufus & Lilly are engaged, long lost son is going to NYU with Dan in the fall, and most importantly, Chuck & Blair reunite.

So as you can see, lot of things to cover in the premiere next year. I'm cautiously optimistic about next season even though this season was definitely not up to par. My only worry is now that Jenny has been "reigned" queen, we'll be seeing a lot more of her. And every Gossip Girl fan knows that's not a good thing. Overall, great closeout to a struggling season.