A Gotham Community
Monday 8:00 PM on FOX (Returning September 19, 2016)

Everyone, meet Batchild! 

Fox's Gotham, which tells the origin story of Gotham City Police Commissioner James "Jim" Gordon and NOT the origin story of Batman—as the network has been careful to emphasize—has gone ahead and cast a young actor in the role of preteen Bruce Wayne: David Mazouz, who was last seen in Fox's Touch, will play the kid who grows up to be Batman. When Bruce's story begins, his parents have already been murdered and he's relying on help from Alfred Pennyworth and Gordon.

Gotham has also cast its Selina Kyle, a.k.a. the woman who will someday be Catwoman. Newcomer Camren Bicondova will play the orphaned teen, who's described as being a "skilled pickpocket," "wholly unpredictable," and "dangerous when cornered." Both Mazouz and Bicondova will be series regulars, joining a cast that already includes Southland's Ben McKenzie as the star detective/future commissioner, Elementary's Sean Pertwee as lil' Wayne's protector Alfred PennyworthSons of Anarchy and Vikings and TerriersDonal Logue as Gordon's partner and mentor Harvey Bullock, and Jada Pinkett Smith as a sadistic gangster boss named Fish MooneyGotham already has a series commitment at Fox.

Given that Gotham is focused on Gordon's origin story and not Batman's, I do find it a little bit strange that Mazouz and Bicondova will both appear as series regulars. Yes, McKenzie's Gordon will be looking after Bruce—after all, the young lad is heir to a floppity jillion dollars—but it's always been my impression that Gotham's premise is more along the lines of a cop show set in Gotham City, not Adventures in Babysitting.

And on another note, does the world care enough about Jim Gordon to be interested in his origin story? It's not that I don't love Ben McKenzie (Ryan Atwood for life!) or that I'm not looking forward to seeing what Gotham has to offer, but with so many comic book adaptations coming to TV these days, does the character of Gordon command enough attention to be successful? It's starting to feel like Fox wanted a Batman origin story, but knew that it would be silly to attempt one so soon after Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, so it went with the next best thing. 

Or maybe I'm just a little worried that Gotham might now be in danger of turning into Rugrats: Batman Edition.

How do you see Lil' Wayne fitting in to Gotham's overall story? Do you like the casting casting choice?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/23/2016

Season 2 : Episode 22

49 Comments
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I agree -- focusing on Gordon's origin is unappealing. I'll check it out but not holding out much hope.
Flag
That boy was so annoying on Touch. Don't have much hopes for this show.
Flag
Jim Gordon is great, this show's premise is not, and now seeing how young the kids are, I want to get the hell away from it as far as possible.
Flag
I also just realized this: What about Barbara Gordon who becomes Batgirl? Would that not have made more sense than casting Catwoman at this time? Also, Gordon's wife?
Flag
I think it's because Batgirl is younger than Batman, so wouldn't she be like a baby now?
Flag
I'll try this just cause I'm big Batman fan and I like Ben McKenzie.
Flag
If a young Bruce and Selina solve crimes together somehow, either with or without Jim Gordon this show is going to be terrible. A show like this needs a young Bruce Wayne, but not as a regular. I was worried that FOX wouldn't be able to make this as dark and violent as it needs to be, and the potential focus on two kids just confirms that.
Flag
This is too random and too soon to be labled good or bad for me. I''ll give it a shot.
Flag
If this were a young Gordon in Gotham, as it deteriorates into a crime ridden city of nutcases, that also features the beginnings of Arkhan Asylum, it might be pretty cool. They could develop known characters as well as create new, if lesser, gang and/or mob members too. I could even see the Wayne family and their money being a part of this.

In a later season season, they could have the death of the Waynes and Bruce left behind to be raised by Alfred. I would would think it funny if they brought in an Aunt Harriet to help. However, it would be a subplot to Gordon and Gotham's story overall. In a series finale, Gordon meets Batman after incidents during the season of a caped vigilante. We know the rest.
Flag
This sounds brilliant, which means it's almost guaranteed not to happen. I'd 100% watch the show you just described.
Flag
Just realized the finale season might need to have a bit of a time jump, but still...
Flag
Forgot to add that what they are doing here seems a bit of a mess, but oddly interesting. I'll be real curious to see how it does after a few episodes.
Flag
The only way they are going to make this interesting is if Gordon is actually the secret biological father of Bruce and Selena. That would give me giggle fits.
Flag
I'm now a little concerned about the liberties they are taking with this show. What's the deal with the ages of these characters? They're all over the place. I really don't get it.
Flag
When you mentioned a regular from Elementary, I thought it was gonna be Sherlock's sponsor guy playing Alfred and I was like "that sounds cool actually!" and then I looked it up and that guy's name is Ato Esandoh so nah I don't think I will watch this.
None of these actors are very compelling and the storyline seems forced. I don't see how Jim Gordon's origin story would involve Batman and Catwoman as a child.
Flag
Sean Pertwee is the son of Dr. Who's Jon Pertwee, if that helps.
Flag
Why is Selena Kyle older than Bruce Wayne? And why is Harvey Bullock Jim Gordon's mentor instead of the other way around? Is there any canonical precedence for this?
Flag
D'awwwww. Batman is adorable-I MEAN. HE IS THE NIGHT. HE IS THE DARKNESS.
Flag
Damn it Fox, if there's ever going to be a "Justice League" tv show its going to be on the CW! Though I guess the only way to do a youth oriented Batman tv show is to make it "Batman Beyond" with an old Bruce Wayne as mentor to a new Batman. And I would be okay with a less brooding more angsty Batman...
Flag
The comics did a series of Bruce Wayne's son teaming up with Clark Kent's son - so they could do an adaption of that

Flag
if the show is focused on Gordon why the hell would you have a young catwoman? What does she have to do with anything. I exspected to see Bruce in the show but as a regular?

I'll still give it a shot if WB is involed since they have made good DC shows in the past and currently.
Flag
unless there is a lot of action(and far less drama) I just can't see this going very far.
Flag
That kid from Touch was so annoying.
Flag
bleh so long as they are very background/recurring characters I suppose it could be ok otherwise pass.
Flag
Batman Babies.... they'll make your dreams come true....
Flag
I will reserve judgement for a trailer, not enough is known to judge yet.
Flag
Actually, everyone has an origin story and do we really need to see Batman's again. The only good cop in a corrupt city, potentially excellent.
Flag
Hey FOX, police Commissioners don't have 'origin' stories, they grow up, join the academy and get promoted - tada. Only actual, y'know, super heroes have origin stories. It's hard to get optimistic about this show despite the cast. Still, a mute, autistic Batman who's good at numbers is a nice twist.
Flag
I think anyone who stayed alive as a police officer in Gotham for any number of years, especially long enough to be promoted and not corrupted is pretty much a super hero by default.
Flag
Well in that case I'm (mostly) uncorrupt and got a promotion once, where's my super hero show?
Flag
You aren't in Gotham, your achievements are invalidated.
Flag
How do you know I'm not in Gotham?
Flag
Wow, sounds like a big steaming pile of procedural shit that won't have any kind of a structure and is just another pathetic attempt to cash in on the superhero deal. Look at agents of shield... shit. Who the hell wants to watch Ryan Atw... I mean Ben Mackensie play a character that was so masterfully played by Gary Oldman? Burn the script
Flag
"And on another note, does the world care enough about Jim Gordon to be interested in his origin story?"

A big fat freaking hell to the muther******* NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Funny thing about the child actors' eyes. Little Catwoman has remarkable eyes, almost weird ones. In a way, like a cat. And Little Batman squints a lot, showing his inscrutable personality. A problem for now is that I keep imagining Kiefer Sutherland as Bruce's father, and he's shouting "Bruce! Bruce!" all the time.

However as Gordon, nobody beats this guy!: (Ha, ha!)

Flag
Having skipped all the Batman movies except the first one, this really is who I imagine Commissioner Gordon to be! Thanks for the pic!
Flag
so I looked up Camren Bicondova and thought she looked sooo familiar... turns out I know her from America's Best Dance Crew! Her team won her season... yes I watched America's Best Dance Crew...
Flag
Haha, I watched too!

I didn't recognize her from the photo above, but since you mentioned it, I Googled her and remembered her almost immediately. Her crew never should have made it to the finals, but... whatever, that's a couple years ago already, haha.
Flag
Staff
Already picturing an eventual musical episode...
Flag
Can't wait. Hope it gets the green light.
Flag
Gotham's had a series commitment since last September, so it'll probably be on the fall schedule.
Flag
You gotta have faith, faith, faith-ah...
Flag
Wow, she looks like a kid Michelle Pfeiffer! Even when you google her, there are so many pics where she looks like her!
Flag
True
Flag
Totally agree.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members