A Gotham Community
Monday 8:00 PM on FOX (Returning Fall 2016)

There will be no cape. There will be no cowl. Nevertheless, Fox's Gotham intends to stay (somewhat) true to the Batman comics that fans have come to know and love throughout more than seven decades.

Based on DC Comics characters, Gotham explores the origin stories of the Caped Crusader's eventual ally James Gordon, a detective with the Gotham City Police Department, and his battle with the villains who made the city famous.

"What we won't do is break the canonical iron truths of the mythology," executive producer Bruno Heller told reporters at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour on Sunday. "It's not a whole new mythology. But issues of chronology, we will play with in a fun way."

Instead of Bruce Wayne taking center stage in the effort to save Gotham, James Gordon will be the central focus as he fights the ever rampant corruption and crime alongside his partner and mentor Det. Harvey Bullock. "Gordon is the lynchpin of the show," Heller explained. "He's the guy who creates Batman or gives permission for Batman to exist in this world. Gordon will still remain at the center, but it's very much about [the origin stories of every character], and Gordon is the moral center that you can identify with."

Though Heller said that Batman won't appear on the series, he doesn't believe that will drive the fanboys away. "I don't think so, because the really interesting parts of the stories are the origin stories," he said. "As soon as you're into the capes and the costumes, it's less interesting than how the people got there."

He went on to add, "If there is a superhero in this show, it's Gotham. That's a larger-than-life character that's a central part of the show. To me, heroes are more interesting than superheroes, because precisely the difference is superheroes do the impossible, and drama is really about the physically possible. This is about people and people trying to overcome real problems as opposed to trying to learn how to fly."

But where do Gothamites find hope when the city's villains of are running free with nary a hero (or the hope of one) to stop them? After all, Bruce Wayne hasn't even started shaving yet! "That's the situation that the show is all about," Heller said. "How do you deal with crime of this level when there are no superheroes? It's as much about the hope and the struggle that they're engaged in... It's about men and women, not about superheroes."

And those men and women will have plenty of baddies to fight. Though the first season delves into the rise of the Penguin, Gotham's pilot plants the seeds for a fair number of villains, including Catwoman, The Riddler, Poison Ivy (Clare Foley), and Fish Mooney. "You have to front-load the pilot with the best that you've got because that's the way that you've got to open big," Heller explained. "As the show rolls on, we'll be far more ... careful with how we roll out the villains and in what way."

Gotham will premiere Monday, September 22 at 8pm on Fox.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/23/2016

Season 2 : Episode 22

33 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"As soon as you're into the capes and the costumes, it's less interesting than how the people got there."
I disagree.

Still, I will probably like the show, but there's no doubt it would have been more interesting with Bruce/Batman in it. How can it be as fun with the villains, but not the hero? Anyway, I will wait to see what it will be like, but I fear it will be too exaggerated to be realistic, just like Arrow is.
Flag
All this negativity.
To steal from another TV show, there's 8 million stories in this city. Lots of shows don't have any Batmen in them, and work out OK.
Flag
Sounds like a load of hogwash. There is no understanding of the "canonical iron truths" described in the actual quotes, Gotham isn't a hero, it's a struggling metropolis which is so damaged that its failings lead to worse and worse gangs and costumed villains. Moreover, Gordon can't really succeed in his larger quest, he can stem the tide with little victories but ultimately if it were to remain canon then he has to make very small gains for another 20 years until Bruce Wayne grows up.
Flag
Not at all.
In the original comics, Batman fought against organized crime and gangs of criminals; costumed supervillains weren't a factor. The GCPD was thoroughly corrupt despite the crusading efforts of Gordon to clean it up. Thus, a need for Batman, an outsider, to actually bring justice to Gotham. (It's the same setup as "The Untouchables", which made an adequate, even popular, TV show even though there are no costumed superheroes in it.)

There's no shortage of TV shows and movies about one guy fighting a corrupt system almost single-handedly. This one's different because we know how it comes out, is all.
Flag
Yeah, we know Gordon fails miserably.
Flag
I was really looking forward 4 this show but as i read this article i dont think that i am intrested in another cop seriez...
Flag
Harvey Bullock as a mentor to Gordon should prove interesting since he hates Batman at first and believes he can always protect the city.
Flag
LOL they may not have time to break any canon.
Flag
Typical DC: One small step forward, twenty seven gigantic flailing leaps back. This show sounds terrible.

Going to go watch the animated series now and weep for what was.
Flag
The animated series was by far the best media version of Batman, but it wasn't all hits. Some point to Farmer Brown and the genetically-engineered farm animals as the low point, but I see the Hardac episodes as the worst.

The best one is easy, though. It's "Heart of Ice".
Flag
Worst for me is "Tyger, Tyger". Through whatever random chance that episode was rerun approximately 10000% more than any other in my presence and I can't be subjected to furry-fetish Catwoman again.

Best is indeed easy, and is indeed "Heart of Ice".
Flag
This is the part of the story writers are told to cut because it's too boring. It's the part where the main character wakes up in the morning, has their breakfast and gets dressed.
Flag
The origins of crime bosses are sure to be boring. Story arcs about villains like Catwoman, The Riddler, & Poison Ivy might be interesting, though the comics & movies pretty much covered their origin stories. How many times can you tell a story different ways? Seems like a heavy concentration of (future) big baddies in Gotham too. How about a origin story for The Joker, someone we don't have a real name or back-story for?
Flag
"The origins of crime bosses are sure to be boring."
One of the better animated series episodes, "It's Never Too Late", is the origin story for one of the crime bosses. And the best animated series episode, "Heart of Ice", is Dr. Freeze's origin story.
Flag
Good writers and good vision on BTAS, plus it was a show that had style and focus on Batman rather than being "Law & Order: Gotham". Hopefully the writers on this show will be good and have strong vision too, but Fish Mooney is already worrisome.
Flag
Honestly, do you trust this kind of show to do a character like The Joker justice, do you expect these writers to come up with the best backstory for the character? I mean, these are the same people who changed Pamela Isley to Ivy Pepper as Poison Ivy's identity, and gave us the character of Fish Mooney.
Flag
"I don't think so, because the really interesting parts of the stories are the origin stories," he said. "As soon as you're into the capes and the costumes, it's less interesting than how the people got there."

He went on to add, "If there is a superhero in this show, it's Gotham. That's a larger-than-life character that's a central part of the show. To me, heroes are more interesting than superheroes, because precisely the difference is superheroes do the impossible, and drama is really about the physically possible. This is about people and people trying to overcome real problems as opposed to trying to learn how to fly."

Wrong. This guy is wrong on every single count... If you want this, don't use an established universe with superheroes, go write for Law and Order.
Flag
"go write for Law and Order."

It's hard to tell with all the reruns on cable, but Law & Order was cancelled a couple of years ago.
Flag
Not all the spinoffs though.
Flag
Looking forward to it!
Flag
so they're basically making a typical procedural cop show but setting it in a fictional city from comics? even if I particularly liked Batman, I'd still probably pass on this show.
Flag
In Smallville (with Clark Kent) the WB took ten years for Clark to become Superman. When it first started ratings were decent (for WB)..Eventually declining but WB rode it out. In Gotham(with little or minimal Bruce Wayne), Fox is hoping The city and backup player Gordon with will hold the audience attention for at least 3 to 6 years?? Good Luck!
Flag
Smallville was pretty decent...ok there was no cape but there were superpowers...in gotham the only thing we r gonna get is... cops.. i dont know... gonna watch 4 ep and then i guess i'm gonna pass
Flag
Who knows, maybe they'll play it really smooth and have characters like Jim Corrigan, Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Carter Hall, Rex Tyler, Ted Grant, Al Pratt, Wesley Dodd, or Ted Knight!
Flag
I don't see the point, honestly. We know Gordon doesn't clean up the city or really have any kind of success. If he were the least bit successful then Gotham wouldn't NEED Batman. Essentially, the show is going to be about a good man constantly losing for the next 18 or so years (with younger pale imitations of famous characters running around in the background.)
Flag
"I don't see the point, honestly. We know Gordon doesn't clean up the city or really have any kind of success."

Batman's been at it for 75 years, without cleaning up the city or really any kind of success. Darn revolving door at Arkham.
Flag
I had the same thought. In fact, I'd probably have passed on this without a second thought were it not for McKenzie (so good in Southland) and Logue (so good in, well, pretty much everything) being the leads.

Flag
If you're familiar with Batman, you understand that there's no such thing as cleaning up Gotham city, there's no end game, you don't win. That's why Batman trains successors. He's preparing people to continue the fight when he's gone. There's always going to be crime, there's always going to be people in trouble. this is the story of the people who were fighting the good fight before he came around.
Flag
/agree The show will just be one big foreshadowing of what WILL happen and what many people WILL become in the future. Really can't see how they can make Gordon remotely interesting without Batman.
Flag
Hoping for good things when I see it!
Flag
I want this series to do justice to the comic book by being loyal to the material,the characters and the setting with obvious fresh angles to keep us on our toes but most importantly,tell a great story.Having great stories will bring me back week after week.
Flag
I'm so piped about this show.
Flag
i m very excited to see what they'll do with this show
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Carmichael Show President Trump
    NEW
    NBC
  • 9:00 pm