A Gotham Community
Monday 8:00 PM on FOX (Returning September 19, 2016)

Fox made an honest man out of Gotham earlier today by announcing it has officially picked up the Batman prequel to series, and now we've got your first look at Jim Gordon origin story, courtesy of a brand-spankin'-new trailer.

When the project was first announced, I wondered whether anyone cared about the eventual-police-commissioner's origin story enough to warrant an entire series. That remains to be seen, but so far I like what I do see. Yeah, the trailer beats you over the head with the fact that Gotham is a prequel by literally spelling it out for you, but the look of the series feels right. Check it out!

In Gotham, Ben McKenzie will use his experience on Southland to play James "Jim" Gordon, the future ally of the Dark Knight and a detective at the Gotham City Police Department (as opposed to the commissioner he'll one day become). He also successfully uses his Crazy Eyes (technical term) to make sure you understand that everything he's saying is very serious. 

Rounding out the cast are Donal Logue (Terriers, and pretty much everything else these days) as Gordon's partner Harvey Bullock, Sean Pertwee (Elementary) as Alfred Pennyworth, Jada Pinkett Smith (Hawthorneas the villainous Fish Mooney, Robin Lord Taylor (Law & Order: SVUas Oswald Cobblepot a.k.a. the Penguin, Erin Richards (Being Human) as Gordon's fiancée Barbara Kean, and Zabryna Guevara (Burn Notice) as Captain Essen, Gordon's boss on the GCPD Homicide Squad. Bringing the tween cast to life are David Mazouz (Touch) as the freshly orphaned Young Bruce Wayne and Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle (the future Catwoman).

How does Gotham look to you?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/23/2016

Season 2 : Episode 22

84 Comments
Comments (84)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
When I first heard about this I was kinda "meh". But the trailer looks really good. Even great. Why does it have to be on Fox? They'll probably cancel it after one season after f**king with the episode order. Again.
Flag
Although the trailer looks REALLY good. I would have prefered to have CW do the series instead of Fox. At least then one can expect a lengthy run like Arrow or Smallville. Fox does tend to cancel good shows or place them in slot where they don't get the ratings so Fox can cancel and place a new order on some crappy reality show.
Flag
One and done, I'm afraid. I liked Almost Human, too. And people are becoming more cautious about stuff like this--especially on Fox. Sleepy Hollow was a bit of a fluke, and this one possibly could be too. But I believe too many will wait to see if it makes it, before investing their time. Intelligence (CBS) was pretty good too, and it didn't make the cut this year either. Fox either needs to commit, or get out of the sci-fi/super hero biz altogether, and stop getting our hopes up then bailing like the little fickle bitch they've become.
Flag
I love Ben McKenzie and after seeing the trailer, it looks way better than I thought.
Flag
The trailer made me LESS interested. Gives the impression they're going to shove in as many young Batman characters as they can, instead of focusing more on Gordon's early days exclusively. Do we need to see a young Penguin? Or deal with a young Bruce Wayne beyond him occasionally being there? Tell me new stories, about the villains who ran town before Batman showed up, and how Gordon dealt with them. That's more interesting than constant forced cameos.
Flag
I'm in!

Looks like (as predicted) they're trying to do things Nolan-style (key point: Gordon was there to comfort Bruce immediately after his parents' murder), while also seeming to overlap stylistically with Arrow over on the CW. Also interesting that, with the exception of Selina, the villains they've chosen to highlight first are the ones who were left out of the Nolan films (Riddler and Penguin); also cool that, like Arrow, they've brought in previously cartoon/comics-only characters like Sarah Essen and Harvey Bullock.

Any money on whether Babs is adopted (like the comics) or biological? (Granted, her birth timewise would be at least about 5-7 years after the Wayne murders.)

It'll be interesting to see if they make this a historical lead-in for Superman vs. Batman, as much speculation has revolved around whether the DCU TV shows (including next season's Flash) will connect to the DCU films, leading into Justice League.
Flag
"Witness the origins of the Infamous city". Yesssssssss
Looks interesting. Count me in.
Flag
YES!!!! That's what I'm talking about....some real good old detective work by Jim Gordon. Take the light off Batman for once. I'm not ready for a Batman Series just yet, leave that to The CW or check me in no less than 6 years when this Bruce Wayne is all grown up and ready to work. I LOVE IT!!!!
Flag

Nope.

Flag
Really, JT?
Flag
Yeah, I'm not a major comics guy, but this feels so much like a slap in the face to the entire Batman franchise, wrapped up in the trappings of a gritty crime drama. Gordon's history is tossed out the window, and they have this teen Batman cast thing going on that makes me sick.
Flag
Superman and Batman have been the most reinvented of all the super heroes. So their original canon doesn't mean all that much.
Flag
Remember how implausible and goofy it was to have Clark Kent run into all his future enemies in Smallville? This will be more grating than that, since it'll be done in a more "serious" manner.
Flag
I like the cast.
Flag
It looks interesting but I think I like the show to focus on young Bruce Wayne the way Smallville focused on young Clark Kent
Flag
Staff
Mob City is back?
Flag
I guess my main concern with this is that they're going to turn Gordon into much more of a hero/bad @ss than he was portrayed in the canon.
Flag
If that's your concern, I don't think you're that familiar with the canon.
Flag
I guess not. So, he was a pretty tough cop? My exposure to Batman is mostly the 60s TV show, Saturday morning cartoons, the occassional animated movie, and all of the live action movies. In none of those do I recall Gordon being a tough guy -- physically that is. He always had great heart and conviction and willingness to put himself in danger, but I don't recall much fisticuffs or the kind of things I saw in this trailer.

So, the comic books (which I never really read) showed a darker, tougher Gordon?
Flag
I've been around since the canon began (actually had Batman #3) and sure, Gordon was used, but it was hard to shake the initial feeling that he was anything more than simply Batman's commish, who flashed the Bat Signal at the first sign of trouble. I'm not as old as that all makes me seem, but I was a collector early on, and had many of the old Batman's and Detective comics. I was also highly disappointed with Adam West's Batman, and my wife tells me he was a real sleazebucket when she worked with him a few times in the '80's on other shows. But I have to admit after all that that it looks pretty good to me.
Flag
I was a kid when Adam West's batman came out and it was my first exposure to Batman. I laugh now at how seriously I took that show!

It's cool your wife worked with him, but sucks that he was sleazy.

When you say you have to admit that it looks pretty good, did you mean the show, Gotham, looks pretty good?

And, when you said you've followed Batman comics since #3, were you supporting my thought that Gordan was never shown to be much of a bad @ass?
Flag
It appears that the show will focus on Gordon and not Wayne. I was hoping to see more Bruce Wayne stories. But the show could suffer from a cute kid syndrome if they do any Wayne stories. It's almost as if they're recasting Gordon as Batman and Bruce Wayne as Robin.
Flag
Wayne as a child didn't even live in Gotham. He was in boarding school.
Flag
That would make sense after the death of his parents, although at the point where his parents are killed he's obviously with them in Gotham. It's still to be seen whether the show will have Wayne past the pilot.
Flag
Looks decent
Flag
Looks interesting ... here's hoping the network will do it justice...
Flag
i really like what i see, it made my heart skip a bit.
You got me I m in. It looks really promising
Flag
Looking GOOD!!! I'm in!
Flag
Intense..and good. I am in!!. i do love the one with crazy eyes.
oooh and the kid combed his hair..i hardly recognized him. He is so brave to get another job at Fox Them heartbreakers!!

Flag
Yeah this looks immense. This looks so good. I am very excited by this. With enough familiar names popping up, you know if this runs to season 3/4 they will have to start bringing in the costumes et al to keep the show running, but for now it looks like an excellent chance to begin to explore the darker side of DCs universe.
Flag
THAT makes it look interesting. I wasn't sure I'd bother, but now? Yeah, I think I will give it a go.....
Flag
I so want this to be good. There's a chance it could be, but there's a greater chance that should it be good, the Fox executives will once again deem that to be a bad thing *Shakes fist*
Flag
I am not sure about this the problem with these prequel tv series is that you have closure from the story already ones that don't work Hannibal and Caprica. If it goes the other way like Dusk till Dawn maybe I watch the first few and see how it goes from there.
Flag
Let's be honest that trailer looks really good and If u are a batman fan like i am you probably thinking I might just check this out. The one problem I might have is I will want BATMAN at some point, even though the show is not about him (lol) He is the freaking Dark Knight!! I do like Ben Mckenzie as an actor so this might be a surprise hit.
Flag
This really doesn't look that interesting..
Flag
It looks good enough to try a few episodes.
Flag
This looks really good. Much better than my expectations.
Flag
That was a very good trailer. Definitely made ME want to watch. But, did I see it accurately? It looked like Gordon slips into the dark side for a while? Did we watch him execute a man? Was Commissioner Gordon a dirty cop at one point?
Flag
Gordon was the ONE cop in Gotham who WASN'T dirty.
Flag
That was my understanding, too, but this trailer sure made it look like he crossed the line a few times -- or was at least tempted to. And, his partner seems to be really pushing for it.
Flag
If you refer to that man falling into water,then I guess no,since that man is Penguin.
Flag
I wasn't sure how this would work with all the Batman stuff we have been assaulted with over the past 20years - the good, the bad and the ugly. Gotham however looks pretty fabulous. I will definitely have a look when it comes out.
Flag
Well this has my interest. Was also cool,that it's 2min,not just teaser,so we can see more. Cast looks strong,so I am hoping show will be great. Many shows had great trailers,but sadly that's all they should be in the end,because some shows with great trailers sucked.

Flag
This trailer's very dramatic, overly so.

I'll watch, but only because my roommate is a huge Batman fan, so we'll probably watch it together.

I haven't seen Terriers, so I may be completely mistaken, but Donal Logue always seems horribly miscast in dramas for me.
Flag
I do admit I didn't thought it was a good idea but this trailer looks great. It feels like Gotham as enough origin stories to tell (not just Batman's) to be something fascinating.
Flag
There's a storm coming Mr. Wayne!

and by storm, I'm referring to how this show will take TV by storm next season
!!!
Flag
I love it. The concept is good the cast looks promising, I'm in.
Flag
Before I didn't like the show...its starting to warm up on me a little bit...(the premise still sounds iffy...if the show doesn't follow real time it could work, where the seasons aren't year by year but maybe jumps occasionally so that by the end of the show we could see batman or something, maybe a little bit after it?)
Flag
STOKED!
Flag
I am surprised this may be better than first thought.

Anyone know where they are shooting this?
Flag
I think they're shooting Gotham in New York City (according to the IMDB)
Flag
I looooooooooooovvvvvveeee this ,it looks very very very interesting
Flag
Looks cooooooool !
Flag
Very excited for this! I think it'll be great! (hopefully i am right)
Flag
It looks decent!
Flag
No doubt i am going to watch it, it looks amazing, i love Batman, it is nice to see what happen before Batman rise... LOL
Flag
Batman is lame... he has great villains,which is the reason I got into Batman universe.
Flag
It looks damn look for me but will it last for about 3 seasons, time will tell&&&
Flag
I lurve Batman.
Flag
I'm eager to see a great new show, but hesitant to trust Fox after they cancelled Almost Human for no good reason. They obviously aren't interested in keeping a quality show or upsetting the viewers. I'm not sure I want to invest in any more shows by them just to have the rug pulled out from under me!
Flag
I can't agree more with you, you are right about Almost Human, it was a good show cancelled for no reason, i hope this show will see another season...
Flag
Of course this show will see another season as long as that MARVEL show is on tv.
Flag
This looks so damn good!!!!
Flag
Looks good. I still miss SouthLand though.
Flag
Looks good...seems a better setup than that prequel attempt on the WB years ago
Flag
Looks interesting.I'll save my verdict till I've seen the first 3 episodes and determine if I'll continue with the series.The preview reminds you that the truly first 'detective' of Gotham was Gordon and not Batman.As a looooong time reader of Batman comics,Jim Gordon was always an interesting secondary character,let's hope the series makes him a good and interesting main character.
Flag
One more.

Bwaaaaaa

There fixed it.

Record number of Bwaaaaaaas

DAMN YOU INCEPTION!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members