We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Graceland Community
USA (ended 2015)

Graceland S01E05: "Hair of the Dog"

Unsurprisingly, Charlie needed a safe place, away from prying FBI roommate eyes, to come down from her adventure in Heroin Town—and Briggs, no stranger to flaunting regulations (or detoxing from the big H himself... surprise!) opted to stash her in one of his CI's apartments until she was once again capable of functioning like a sober person. The meeting with Odin ended up not happening, and then Charlie's superior lectured her for failing to at least take the opportunity to arrest Quinn and turn him against Odin. So so basically Whistler died, Charlie-has-a-drug-problem is probably going to eat up the rest of her storyline this season (ugh), and Briggs helped her interrupt detox-time to shoot up juuuuuust enough horse to get through her meeting with el jefe without looking like a junkie—except she totally looked like a junkie and Johnny totally figured her out—and it was all for nothing. Happy summer! Life is meaningless!

I kid. I mean, I don't kid because "Hair of the Dog" was right up there with "Heat Run" and last week's "O-Mouth" in the crippling depression department, but that's not a bad thing. They were very good episodes and as Manny Montana promised in the delightful chat I had with his awesomeness after last week's episode, Graceland has hit its stride at this point in the season. We know (mostly) who these characters are, what makes them tick, and some of us may've even gotten to the point where we like them and care about them—which can make Graceland's inherent darkness feel that much more tragic. When Whistler clearly ditched Charlie's sobriety plan in "Heat Run," sure, I felt bad. Sucked to be her. Sucked to be him. However, "Heat Run" was the third episode of the series. We didn't yet have a full sense of who Charlie is or just how deeply and sincerely she cared about her former CI. The situation in "Heat Run" was sad because it was a crappy situation and Charlie and Whistler seemed like decent enough people based on our limited exposure to them. Now, we know quite a bit about Charlie, and her desperation to make Whistler's loss "matter" and her recklessness seem "worth it" was devastating.

Then we had Johnny, BFF to all and loyal hero-worshiper of Briggs, forced into the realization that despite the ocean being right out their back door, Graceland is far from paradise. Their jobs aren't easy and sometimes they aren't fun. Sometimes people get hurt—sometimes they hurt themselves, and sometimes they hurt each other. Briggs might be a hero, but he's not flawless. Personally, I'm not sure where I stand on the decision to give Charlie more heroin. It made sense given the position she was in—she had to meet with Johnny and their superior. She had to give a statement and she couldn't go in there sweating and itching and puking all over the place, especially given the disastrous result of the operation in the first place. So it made sense and I get it, but at the same time, it was hard to watch a character who we've been trained to view as suspicious from day one—Briggs—as he encouraged Charlie to do what was literally the worst possible thing she could have done while in the throes of withdrawal, especially given her admission that she was actively craving the stuff at the time.

"Hair of the Dog" was a rough episode for everyone in the house—but for the first time sincethe series began, an episode ended and I was actually suspicious of Briggs' motives. It wasn't so much the big reveal that he attends Narcotics Anonymous meetings—nobody is going to brag about that to their co-workers, let alone an FBI agent who is already seen as something of a problem—as it was the Charlie stuff (I'm torn, guys. SO TORN) and the fact that the entire operation with Bello's torpedo followed the script that Juan outlined perfectly. That he justified keeping Mike in the dark about Johnny's escape plan with the idea that Mike couldn't mourn convincingly if he knew about the detonation ahead of time raises some red flags regarding Briggs' ideas about authenticity while undercover. Last week, Charlie's fake o-face wasn't convincing enough—but that real reaction when she shot up got the point across, and he was more than willing to let her have more heroin when she had to put on a convincing sober face. This week it was problems with Mike and Johnny. The extent to which Briggs is willing to blur the lines between their covers and their real lives is increasingly alarming—but we still don't really know who's a good guy and who's not and despite being kind of right, Juan was just as shady as ever this week, which is why Graceland is so amazeballs. (SO DON'T EFF IT UP, GRACELAND.)

NOTES

– Lol @ "yellow submarine" because I'm five and pee jokes are funny. Fart jokes are way tacky, though, because I have standards.

– I AM SO WORRIED ABOUT JOHNNY. I mean, he's like a puppy that happens to know how to detonate bombs underwater. Can we talk about his "ILU" and how presh he was when Mike was all "OMG I THOUGHT U DIED?" CRYING NOW.

– So is Briggs a super-villain? Is he electrocuting kittens and selling ALL THE DRUGZ to third graders at recess? Do we care? I kind of don't care because Juan sucks.

– JUST SAY NO to Charlie-has-a-drug-problem. Don't do it, Graceland. Pleeeease?

– Sometimes when Juan talks, I hear the teacher-squawk from Charlie Brown instead.

– Can we also talk about "LOL YOU CAN SHOOT UP MY CI'S STASH!" Seriously? You don't know what's in that shit or how clean the needles are or whether the dude's having a Pulp Fiction kind of day and put the wrong stuff in the wrong balloon. You know where the drug dealers hang out! You have druggie covers! Go buy your own!

– Okay, so I briefly had the thought that the "CI's stash" was Briggs' own, both before and after the ending scene. Idk.

– What did you think of the episode? How are those conspiracy theories going?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/17/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

55 Comments
Comments (55)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Staff
My theory: Briggs' CI house and stash are actually his own.

Character Rankings
1. Johnny
2. Charlie
3. Paige
4. Mike
5. Five layers of sh*t
6. Briggs/Juan
Flag
Re: the review, I'm fairly certain that the "CI's place" with the heroin was really just Briggs's crash pad where he goes to shoot up in private, so that doesn't seem like an oversight.

Briggs is appearing shadier and shadier as a character with some of the decisions he's making. The revelation of him being an addict in recovery is obviously no big surprise, but it still doesn't explain why he's been skimming loads of heroin off the top of busts. Especially the huge, multi-million dollar bust they just made...

Some have mentioned that it's a bit strange that someone as green as Mike was able to successfully tail Briggs. Valid observation, although I wouldn't be surprised if Briggs let himself be followed to the meeting. Diverting suspicion through various means is what people in intelligence are trained to do, after all.
Flag
So Briggs had to have lifted a couple of keys from the torpedo right? So locked wardrobe and familiarity with (apparently holidaying) CI junkie's stash is suspicious? Still it comes down to who you want to be hanging out with and sinking a few Briggs or Juan?
Flag
I'm really enjoying Graceland, I think it's one of USA's best shows.
Firstly, I have to ask about Jakes, did I miss something or has he just vanished? We need to know more about Jakes, and Paige, but that's hard to do when he isn't around.
Anyway, I'm already liking all the characters, except Briggs but I'll get to that in a minute. I'm especially liking Johnny, he's good at his job but he doesn't take everything so seriously, it's a really refreshing attitude. I'm also really enjoying the scenes where the housemates are relaxing in the bar or playing a little beach football, it really helps to ground the characters, until Briggs turns up and spoils the atmosphere with his oppressive air severity.
So, is Briggs a bad guy or a good guy? Probably a good guy, but I still think he's a dick. I think the safe house and the drugs were his and I think it's a crappy thing he did giving Charlie the drugs. If she really was in one of Briggs' CI's appartments then all he had to do was take her phone back to Graceland and say he didn't know where she was. It's not possible to back trace a cell location, so her boss wouldn't have been able to find her. The fact that Briggs is in Narcotics Anonymous wasn't in the least bit surprising, the fact that no-one else in the house knew about it is surprising. Mike is just out if the academy and he can already tail a seasoned veteran without getting spotted, so why hasn't anyone tailed Briggs before? None of the other US agencies likes or trusts the FBI so why didn't the DEA agents tail him as soon as they teamed up with him? It just doesn't add up for me. Anyway, he probably is a good guy, in the superhero movie sense of the words, but he's still a selfish hypocritical unconscionable asshole.
Also, I fully agree that a Charlie-hooked-on-drugs story arc would be a big mistake, it's just too obvious, please let her recover quickly and quietly and get back to normal.
And, yes, Juan does indeed "suck".
More+
Flag
Aww man, Charlie is breaking my heart - I almost cried when she confided in Johnny about what she did and they said they loved each other!

En otra nota: can someone tell me the two brands of sunglasses worn in this episodes: the pair that Briggs wore when he dropped Charlie off at the FBI, and the blue pair worn by Johnny during his heart-to-heart with Charlie?
Flag
At first, I barely tolerated this show, mostly watched it as time-killing filler. But now that it's slowly revealing some behind the scenes intrigue, I might actually enjoy it.
Flag
Graceland is good! I like that the characters are diverse, but not in a way that's corny or blind to difference. You know what I mean? Some shows use diversity as a way to ward off any complaints. Also these same shows ignore the various colloquialism that a diverse group of people would have. Not in Graceland. The writers allow each character to reflect their unique cultural background and the way all the characters seem to appreciate and love is each other is so sincere. And, the storyline is getting better and better!
Flag
Love Johnny, and I like him and Paige, because on her part he seems like a little brother than a love interest and I want that vibe to keep going because Johnny is adorable.
My main problem with Graceland right now is I don't like Mike. And as the protagonist, I'm pretty sure I'm suppose to like him. He just seems really ambitious and obsessed with going to Washington (or wherever). And he'll stand up to badass drug dealers yet he doesn't have the balls to stand up to Juan who basically admits as the top of his class Mike deserves to be stationed where he wants . But that it isn't going to happen until after Mike plays Juan's errand boy and digs up what he can on Briggs and Mike just goes with it. Because he's nothing if not the FBI's lapdog. I understand this is probably part of his character arc, as he grows to learn undercover agents can't always operate "by the book" and finds out there are things he'll need to keep from the FBI to be successful, but I'm just frustrated that a supposedly smart guy needs to learn that.
And his relationship with oblivious-whats-her-name is so boring.
Briggs on the other hand is all sorts of interesting.
More+
Flag
I agree. Mike is the only character I don't like,for all the reasons you have stated. I've seen interviews of Aaron and I like him just fine. It's the character that I am struggling with. I also don't care about him and whats-her-face. I am not sure why it is taking screen time from DJ or Johnny, who don't get as much screen time as the rest.
Flag
Well I wouldn't say: don't like. I would say: feel ambivalence towards. Not a good "I'm intrigued" kind of ambivalence. I just don't know how a rookie can be so cool and jokey with Briggs in Graceland yet be investigating him on the down low. That kind of expert lying makes him super shady. I skip past his conversations with Juan, because it just reveals how ambitious Mike is and it makes him unappealing to me.

Flag
This was a fun episode. I like that they're finally starting to get more serious and "dark" as was touted from the beginning. It being on USA, though, I just CAN'T help but think that Briggs is the 'false bad guy' and Juan or whoever else will turn out to be the 'false good guy.' White Collar and Burn Notice have ruined these types of storylines for me -- I still remember White Collar, in the middle of the first season, making it seem like Peter might be a bad guy. Ugh.
Flag
This episode was great. Loved the tension and friction between Briggs and Johnny after "JT" aka "Jonathan" aka "Johnny" aka "THE BEST" found out about Charlie. Still kinda/sorta/maybe doubting the 'Briggs has a heroin problem" what if he's just working a cover? He did say "Hi my name is Paul" as in, his first name, that they all use when they go undercover. Either way AWESOME EPISODE. Loving the pacing which must be acredited to this short 12 ep season (which I'm bummed about because SO SHORT, but love for its pacing, no beating-around-the-bush *Looks at Juan*)
Flag
love Johnny. hate the girlfriend.
Flag
2nd episode without DJ. Are they phasing him out?
Flag
Actor of DJ says on twitter (its an official account, I promise) that he'll be in the next episode (1x07)
Flag
Enjoyable and dark episode. Graceland has definitely hit its stride. I still believe Briggs is more good than bad, despite it looking like he stole heroin. So the witchunt for evil Briggs continues to me.
Flag
Loved this episode. It was probably my favorite so far. I don't feel that they would go down the Charlie has a drug problem route. I really felt for her when she just wanted to go home and was scared she would lose her job. Was surprised, although it makes sense, that Briggs has one, although weird that Mike let himself be caught when he made that reveal. Johnny was the absolute best the entire episode, from almost being a SEAL to being there for Charlie to recovering the torpedo. Loved when Mike thought he was dead, how worried he was, didn't see that punch coming either. I actually like Mike and Abby(?), although it can't last long/forever.
Flag
I agree with you about Charlie, I don't think they're going to go down the 'drug problem' route with her, everyones ringing their storyline-alarm-bells a bit prematurely. We saw at the end of the episode how she and Johnny were talking, saying that if he ever finds her in some alley 'using' to kill her. It was a joke, but I think a hint from the show that its probably not going to be a major struggle for Charlie.
Flag
Yes I agree. Charlie likes to be in control. You can see that in something as simple as her Italian sauce. Drugs and her ( I hope!) are not going to have a long relationship.
Flag
Good episode. Definitely think something is up with Briggs, but I am leaning more towards good than bad. I like him so I don't care either way. Finding out he is in NA was a surprise and I definitely think he had Charlie staying at his safe house instead of a CI's place. I hope they don't go the drug route with Charlie. I like her. Johnny is AWESOME SAUCE. I know Mike is supposed to be the focus of the show but he BORES me and so does his girlfriend. I don't trust her, seems like a plant. We'll see. Show keeps getting better. Hope they keep it up!
Flag
I was re-watching the best bits of the episode (basically all the interactions sans Mike, the only time I can enjoy watching Mike is when he's with one of his room-mates) and I figured out that the upside of having 'Mike-bits' in is it draws out the tension of the Briggs-Charlie-Johnny moments, so when you see those convo's going down just after watching Mike frolicking with Abbey you get those 'shits going down' feelings...
Flag
That makes sense. I don't hate Mike, but in regards to the others in the house he is as interesting as dry toast.
Flag
Yup, keep thinking the same about Abby (the gf). But I guess it just shows how Good the show is that you feel like noone (except Johnny) can be trusted.. Like, I kept expecting Bello to turn around & pour lead in Mike's eye.. It just feels like he's got in too quickly :/
Flag
I can definitely agree with that!
Flag
The show is getting better and better with every episode, it can maintain both dark drama and real comedy in the same time
Johnny was great,
Mike was also great
Charlie was great and a little stupid
I agree with almost everything Briggs is doing , i don't know if the apartment is his or his CI's but i don't really care much,
I am sure that there is something weird about Briggs, but i am sure it's not evil weird,
I am sure that Juan is playing dirty and doesn't care about doing the good thing but about taking Briggs down.
Flag
Once the episode ended, I also assumed that the heroin stash Briggs provided for Charlie was actually his, and that, in fact, the apartment was actually his, and not some CI's.

"Sometimes when Juan talks, I hear the teacher-squawk from Charlie Brown instead."

I guess I do too, because whenever he came onscreen, I was like, "SNACK BREAK!" And it's okay because it's just Juan bitching more about Briggs lol.

I love Johnny, and the scene with Mike, when Mike realized he wasn't dead, was awesome. As was Mike punching Briggs, because, yeah. He deserved it.

That said, I still like Briggs and I'm really interested to hear his heroin backstory now. I also don't really want to go the druggie route with Charlie, but I like that this is Briggs' story, mostly because I didn't expect it at all.
That said, I'm definitely wondering why he's stealing heroin, unless he actually still takes it all the time, which, frankly, it doesn't seem like he does - I mean, he seems to be a recovering addict, so why hoard the stuff? IDK. We'll have to see, I guess.

Anyhow, the past couple of episodes were really great, the show has definitely hit its stride!
More+
Flag
I agree, Charlie better not start riding the dragon. That will take up way too much time and it will be stupid. Though I don't think Briggs is going to let that happen. I he was in an NA meeting. He said he was a heroin addict. He has a relationship with her so hopefully he won't allow her and by he I mean the writers, to become an addict. HOWEVER, saying that. There is a drug called methadone that slightly mimics the effects of Heroin. Why not give her that instead of her shooting up.

But I thought it was a good episode. I still think Mike's girlfriend is a plant by Juan to keep Mike in check. Her background is just way too vague. Plus I could see her if Charlie does end up becoming a smack head, in the house.

But I like the questions this episode brings up. There is no way the cartel didn't fill that tube up to the brim. Briggs had possession of the tube, alone. It does make one wonder. I like how the show hasn't hit us over the head with he being good or being bad. It keeps us guessing and I like that.

Johnny. Johnny could be the key to bringing down Briggs, if Briggs is indeed corrupt. I think Johnny is probably the most stand up guy in the house. Who seems like all he wants to do is do good. Mike is kind of like that, but he is way too ambitious to be just truly a good guy.

Overall it was a great episode and I am glad i stuck with this show.
More+
Flag
I really like Johnny. He seems like a really nice guy who is trying to do the right thing. He's very loyal and we all know that's going to get him in trouble later on. Johnny figured out Charlie's problem pretty quickly and vowed to help her. I'm hoping that with Johnny's help Charlie doesn't do the whole I have a drug problem story line. If she does go down the wrong path it's going to make Johnny sad and no one wants to see that.

I also agree that the CI stash is just shady. I'm pretty sure it's Briggs stash. I don't know if he's a villain or not. A part of me likes him another part of me is pretty sure he's dangerous. The guy has no problems breaking the rules, but he usually seems to be trying to help the house. I don't know how I feel!

I hope we don't have to see too much of Mike and that girl he's dating. It's boring and I don't care. I do like that Paige brought her case on the date though.
Flag
Gotta love Johnny man. AWW he is just cake. And everything else woulda been if not for this blondie guy that's kinda sorta the main character and I'm supposed to care about him, well guess what Graceland I don't. And it's all because I cannot stand Aaron Tveit and his horrible acting. Just kill his character or I don't know send him to DC already. just get rid of him!
Flag
<3 Jenn Proske <3 (Abby) is my newest TV crush. OMG she is beautiful.
Flag
I got the immediate feel that it being a CI's place was a flat out lie and that it's Brigg's safe house...hence the drugs...hence the locked closet.

Beyond that, another home run for USA Network who's defeloping a nice little stables of shows
Flag
The should have consulted an actual addict because they played the whole heroin storyline completely wrong. It takes weeks and weeks of everyday use in the beginning for someone who has never been addicted to heroin to develop a physical dependency. Doing it one time does not lead to withdrawals. It's a hang over for a day for your body not being used to it, but then that's it.
Flag
I still think Briggs is being framed for taking the drugs but I think he is far from "good." He should not have shot Charlie up, they could have come up with a way better way, they would have also said they were forced at gun point to do it or something. Also I REALLY REALLY hope Charlie does not turn into a drugie.
Flag
The problem is, it sounds like Briggs already gave his statement. So lying there is pretty much just about as bad as getting caught.

As much as it sucks, those were the only 3 choices.
- Come clean from the very start. Honestly, probably the best solution. It would have hurt her career but being FORCE wouldn't have ended it.
- Her come clean at the meeting. Hurt her career and ending Briggs' career since he testified already.
- Try to fake their way through it. And honestly, chasing the dragon would be the only way to level it off enough. BUT if caught it ruins 2+ careers.
Flag
Oh my god can this show get any better ?
every single episode is better than the last
and in this episode Johnny became my favorite character
Flag
Im really enjoying Graceland. There are a lot of moving parts, but the show has done a really good job introducing them over time so I actually care about everything unlike some other new shows that have just piled on everything and hope you keep watching (The Bridge, Defiance...)

1. I <3 Johnny. You just know when feces starts hitting the fan it will be the hardest on him and I feel so bad for him already. Side note, I really enjoy Paula as well. Obviously Johnny and Paula serve as the comic relief, but the writers/actors have done a good job giving them depth.
2. I hope they do not chase the dragon as it were. I know people do not just kick heroin and it would play nicely into the whole flow of the show, but it could easily be over done. Interestingly, I think Elementary has done it best. You more or less know Sherlock won't use again, but they have very nice scenes about his problems with it.
3. Im pretty sure that was Brigg's safe house. They made a point of showed that locked closet. Im assuming there is a stash in there.
4. I think the show is very much going to come down to letter vs. spirit of the law. What I want to know is what happened that caused Briggs to change.

Anywho, I really hope Graceland keeps up the good work.
More+
Flag
I agree with your fourth point, I do hope they do a flashback to show what happened
Flag
Yeah, so, if it was his CI's apartment, where was his CI? In his vila in Tuscany? I don't think so. That's Brigg's safe house and Brigg's stash. Assuming the lack of easy access to methadone though, it was really the only option for her. Besides, nothing saying cold turkey is the only way of quitting, apart from the cultists at NA.
Flag
Staff
Mmmm...kool aid.

Yeeeah, it's gotta be Briggs' place. I'm just in denial. It happens.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members