A Graceland Community
USA (ended 2015)

Graceland S01E12: "Pawn"

Heading into Graceland's season 1 finale, the possibilities for our houseful of MTV rejects were delightfully endless, but even given the vast plot potential, resetting the house and its occupants by returning them to their starting positions—sort of—wasn't really on my radar. Admittedly, I've found that the best way to watch Graceland is to just turn off the radar and go with it, but hey, habits.

Graceland wrapped up with a bonfire for reunited besties and Get Out of Jail Free cards for Graceland's occupants, effectively taking us back to the beginning for next summer's sophomore season. However, the reset wasn't without its snags. Mike is on the East Coast, like he wanted sooooo badly all season long, with what appears to be a pretty desirable assignment for people who are allergic to sunlight—like Mikey—but was that a touch of nostalgia for Graceland creeping into the checked-out-of-this-boring-meeting stare? It looked like it. Then Briggs called and was all, "HEY BOO MISS YOU. WANNA PLAY MURDEROUS DRUGLORD PSYCHOPATHS AGAIN?" And Mike was like, "Aw hell naw... maybe kinda." 

Briggs managed to come out of the Jangles ordeal looking like a big damn hero, but he's far from being off the hook completely. I can't help but question how happily-ever-after that schmoozy, boozy, BFFs forever bonfire really was, considering how effortlessly Briggs managed to clear his name. Dude made it look easy, but Briggs' maintained innocence wasn't without its price—specifically, DJ's integrity and possibly his career, Johnny's innocence, and Charlie's confidence (and possibly career). There's a good chance that, at least in Johnny and Charlie's cases, they don't entirely know what they're now a part of, or what they've sacrificed. However, Jake has always been a little too-self-aware-for-his-own-good, and I can't wait to see how far down the rabbit hole he's willing to go for Briggs next season. With the discovery of Juan's recording by some punkasses in a pawn shop, the calmness of Graceland's final few minutes were confirmed to be nothing but a lull in the ongoing storm. The FBI excused a lot of Briggs' B.S. this week, but I'm pretty sure he's still going to be in a lot of trouble once his role in Juan's death comes out. 

OH, and I totally called it on the recorder being in a pawn shop. BOOSH. 

So Jangles is dead (thanks, Mike!), which leaves Briggs pretty much unchallenged, as far as we know, to continue his double-life as both Odin and the FBI's flawed former golden boy. Are we gonna talk about that, Graceland? If I have to whine and gripe about one thing—which I do, because, well, I do—it's that the Briggs-as-Odin storyline just sort of went away. It wasn't a fatal flaw, and it actually leaves us with a nice, juicy Season 2 arc right from the jump, but for being such a huge issue in the first half of the season, it just wasn't an issue in the second half. 

Also, for as sadistic and unstoppable as Jangles had been built up to be, Mike just wasting him right there, before anyone even had to turn the lights on, seemed kind of abrupt. Whatevs. The most interesting stories on Graceland, in my humble opinion, are those that keep it in the fam and deal primarily with the occupants of the house. 

Graceland is very much an ensemble show and sometimes, on a series with such a large cast, some characters end up more developed than others. Sometimes, it seems, writers just end up with a character or two that they don't know how to use. Graceland has, so far, managed to avoid this problem and its core characters, Briggs, DJ, Johnny, Mike, Paige, and Charlie, are delightfully detailed after just this one season. 

Johnny's hero-worship is all cute and sweet, but we saw it put him into some tough positions this season—and yet he seemed more than happy to retreat to his comfort zone of having complete and utter faith in the goodness of everyone as soon as he was given the chance. After cooling his heels for a lot of the early episodes this season, DJ proved to be a fascinating character with a backstory and motivations that are just begging to be dabbled with some more. Charlie has gone from being HBIC to being completely unsure about her own abilities as an agent and as a friend. Mike will return to the beach house. He's too tarnished now to go back to his old aspirations and beliefs. 

Whether its characters are working together or against one another, Graceland's greatest strength lies their relationships. The future seems poised to focus more on Briggs' broken legacy and how, even now, after such a sought-after victory for the house, it could still damn them all. 

I'll totally be back for season 2. How about you?

NOTES FROM THE CHORE WHEEL

– This week in Johnny's ongoing nervous breakdown: puppy was sad that his friendbeast, Briggs, picked DJ and not him, to be an accomplice in his murder cover-up. Aww. That's... sweet?

– What do you hope to see in Season 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/17/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

126 Comments
Comments (126)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Loved this show, had no problem with the death of Jangles, some felt it was underwhelming, but even bad guys with mythical stories whispered about them aren't bulletproof and the showdown kind of resonated with me in a high noon sort of way. A kind of quick draw cowboy duel that Bello might of appreciated or sensed in Mike.
Liked Briggs palming off his Odin identity to the dealer with the new name and Juan's murder to Jangles, just got a little sloppy with one loose end but that's enough to hook me for next season even if it never shows up again. Go team Briggs :-)
Shame about poor Abby or whoever, but she was probably a little needy and certainly too uptight for Mike as opposed to Paige or the chick that processed cocaine in her underwear. Did DJ leave that phone number for Mike on purpose? Either way Briggs is the luckiest man alive cause Jangles looked ready to really enjoy himself. I also wonder if Briggs hadn't shown up would Charlie and Jangles be calling each other on weekends.
Flag
Bit disapointed with the reset, they could have at least added flashbacks during the interogration scene showing how Briggs managed it, but err whatever, it's a good enough to way to kill an hour so I'll keep watching.
Flag
@Radium_Girl, I TOTALLY paused the show and started LOL'ing at the Pawn Shop scene. I had to explain to my wife that I had just read your review and you had, in fact, NAILED IT!
Flag
I'd like to see the focus of season to be on another character, rather than on Mike. I have no problem with his character, but I think it would be interesting if the next season was more focused on someone else while Mike took a back seat like most of the Graceland residents did this first season.

I think Mike is still suspicious of Briggs and will return to Graceland to further investigate Briggs. Hopefully, though, this isn't the main storyline of the next season.
Flag
I think the phone call had something to do with Mike's civilian girlfriend being, dum~dum~dum I don't know but it would be a great way to bring him back to the house
Flag
I love this show. Daniel Sunjata carries the show and without his character, there'll be no Graceland. I hope they will show less of Mike Warren in Season 2. He's done his weasel job, he'll just be superflous. His character is very annoying - the type who will cry out to the teacher because someone didn't pick him to play with them. Physically, he really is just a paper pusher type of person. I mean Charlie's character can carry him in case of an emergency. I hope someone really kills his character and soon! They should pick a better "Mike" to Paul's "Harvey" character.

I hope USA will order more than 13 episodes for S2.
Flag
I disagree completely. Mike is tougher than he looks. He has been physically roughed up, even stabbed, and he didn't go crying to anyone. I think he will be back in Graceland to follow up on some special assignment, and I can't wait!
Flag
The finale was interesting. It was wrapped up in a nice bow. Briggs Kayzer Sozeyed the FBI with Odin. He set up the Drug dealer he sent off in the boat as Odin. The only thing that refutes that is maybe what is on the tape. So in all likelihood until the tape surfaces again he is in the clear. So no more drug running for him, it seemed to me that he did that entirely to try to get Jangles.

Mike had to be the one to kill Jangles and save the day. The show is kind of centered around him and Briggs and now Briggs owes him one.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with for next season.
Flag
I really dont like this episode review. The pics are irrelevant to the text and it doesnt flow.
Flag
what a great episode

if you missed it watch it here:

http://firststoptv.eu/show/graceland/season/1/episode/12
Flag
Mike and Paige
Flag
I was really impressed with the Charlie character: she is a fascinating combo of toughness and vulnerability. I was almost in tears when she confessed her heroin phase to Johnny. Speaking of Johnny, I hope his character explores his dark side and doesn't get stuck being Peter Pan. This has been a really good season; looking forward to Season 2.
Flag
I am OK with the Odin thread being picked up next year and not resolving this year. I think it is interesting that Briggs still has everyone fooled about what he is up to (not that I know what that is, but he is up to something) and has charmed all his housemates into being his buddies again. It is all rather creepy.

I really dislike Johnny. He is boring and silly and I can't understand a word he says. DJ is fascinating. He refuses to be part of the gang--good for him. He has some personal demons. He needs to be a bigger part of the show. The women are OK.

I agree with the reviewer that the strength of this show is in the interactions of the housemates. I get weary of their undercover assignments.
Flag
I just hope Briggs either stabs a knife in Mike´s neck within the first 5 minutes of s02e01 or at least plants a k of H in his car or something. What an asshole that guy is.
Flag
Has this show finally become believable? I couldnt get past the first three episodes. It just wasnt gritty enough. I know I say that about a lot of shows, but a shows realism often comes down to grit.

That's why I hardly watch network tv. It's great for comedy and romance.
Flag
I found someone who agrees. Although it picked up a little in the later episodes, I must say I'm surprised a 2nd season was granted. I mean honestly speaking, I don't like Mike point, blank, and the period. I guess that's why he's there...
Flag
This is grittier than anything else on USA, that's for sure. By the end of the summer run, we had torture, suicide, murder, and the throes of addiction. Maybe it's not Breaking Bad or Dexter, but it is certainly grittier than most aboadcast tv.
Flag
I don't even think I get USA network. Well they keep shifting the channels around so I dont know. But i like SVU. I may download the rest of season one of Graceland though.
Flag
Am I the only one who was hoping that Mike would look up his civilian girlfriend now that he is (supposedly) done with undercover work and can tell her who he is? I would far rather see him hooking back up with her than with someone in the house...and it would provide an interesting complication if he told her who he really was because he was done with undercover work, then has to go back to the house anyway.
Flag
First of all I was sure that when Mike saw Briggs talking to the agent thru the glass, he had realized that Briggs was so full of it when he acted like he didn't know Jangles key thing was "souvenirs" from his victim, & that he would continue to investigate him.

I think Jangles being taken out from Mike without a lot of fanfare was a good thing actually. I mean we already had him torturing Charlie & Briggs, that was enough. I expected the recording to show up at some point, just didn't know how.

Johnny may have been sad that Briggs didn't go to him, but he went to DJ as being the most "detached" from the house-family thing, even though DJ did say at the end "Fix it". I loved the simultaneous interrogation scenes, & how Johnny & Charlie had no clue. The Odin thing wasn't forgotten, he just pinned it on what's his name who took the boat.

I think that Briggs only did the Odin thing to lure Jangles to California, not because he wanted to be a drug lord. I really don't know what Briggs is going to say on that phone call at the end, well I guess we will find out in Season 2
More+
Flag
johnny is just too funny... everyone fools him, poor guy...
i really love this show and i'm happy it will have a second season :)
the thing with mike easily killing jangles, in my opinion they made it like that so it could be like super heroic or something.. cuz all the time i was watching that i was thinking: yeah, of course, NOW he'll be the one saving everyone's lives..
Flag
Love the show and it was a great first season, but the finale was my least favourite episode. For once i wished it wasn't a happy ending and everything were to be continued in the second season. And to have a massive cliffhanger begging us for summer to come all over again.
Still...it was good. Briggs' plan was pretty great. Jangles was a joke though, so glad he's gone. I think season 2 will have a completely different major story line going on with Briggs/Juan/Odin in the background (at least I hope that will be the case)...but we'll see!
Flag
I hope to see the characters become more consistent and the acting better. I wish that Johnny and DJ would have more to do. For more, my blog: http://ellensopinion21.blogspot.com/2013/09/graceland-season-one-finale-recap-and.html
Flag
I actually liked the series finale, just felt it was rather abrupt. Briggs is just awesome. Charlie and Mike I hope not to see in in the season 2,. But more Johnny please. they should transfer dour Jake somewhere hot, he's a real jerk.
Flag
Isn't it amazing that the tape recorder in the pawn shop actually worked (batteries not dead) and the tape was queued right at the point where the fateful conversation was taking place. Will the teens get the tape to an FBI office or will they somehow figure out what the recording means and attempt to use it to their advantage?
Flag
This was the finale I feared deep in the pit of my black soul. I swear to dog, I wouldn't watch this show if I weren't so amused by how amused MaryAnn is with it.
Flag
I liked most of the episode... but the end was a bit bothersome. When Mike was standing outside the interrogation room listening to the FBI guy telling Briggs about Jangles, Juan, and Odin, I could have sworn Mike didn't believe it and that he knew Briggs set it up somehow. From there, I figured the natural progression would be for him to turn down his DC job and stay at Graceland so that he can continue to investigate Briggs -- cue season 2. But no, he goes to the bonfire with the rest of the house and he doesn't seem to be too interested in Briggs... no one seems to be interested that Mike was a rat... then Mike just leaves to DC. Meh. That whole ending there felt a little lazy or poor to me. But whatever. It was fun enough overall.
Flag
I thought Mike had realized that Briggs was lying in the interrogation room too
Flag
i just had the feeling that mike did know briggs was lying cuz he knows about the missing tape and all... it was a bit confusing, yeah, but i'm thinking maybe he's just pretending? dunno..
Flag
Question: why didn't DJ just hand the number to Mike directly? They weren't being bugged right?
Flag
Mike VS Briggs Charlie and Johnny hookup.
Flag
Oh, forgot to add - LOVED the scene where they were all being interrogated by the FBI re: Briggs. That was hilarious. I'd forgotten how out of the loop Johnny and Charlie were, as of the previous episode. They were all, "What? Are you kidding me? No way!" And then even funnier, Jakes pretending to have the same reaction lol. Hysterical.

Flag
Yup, replayed that bit like 5 times already :)

Altho, my fave part (as always) was Johnny "This is stupid, I stopped listening to you". And of course, honorary mention to Charlie's "You're shittin me? Call the damn coast guard already!"
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The ending of everything was a little... I don't know. Abrupt? I didn't like the cliffhanger of Briggs calling Mike about something super secret, but then not saying anything - not even a hint - about what that secret thing was. Because it kind of just feels like the writers put it in for a cliffhanger, without even necessarily knowing what this super secret thing is. It could be anything. I feel like the cliffhanger of the recording being found in the pawn shop was enough.

I was a little disappointed that Jangles was wrapped up so quickly/easily too, although Mike was pretty much a BAMF wasting the guy. Very quick on the draw. I was stunned he hadn't been shot as well. And it was kind of fitting, because we've been shown all season what a good marksman he was; that's how he got the position to train Bello's guys. So it was kind of a nice payoff, in that way.

My biggest thing is that I, too, wanted the Odin storyline wrapped up, or at least taken to the next level, taken to a new place, so to speak. Like you said, MaryAnn, there was a lot of focus on it in the first half, and then it kind of dropped off. Obviously, this was to make way for more emphasis on the Jangles/Estate storyline, which wasn't necessarily a bad decision. But I definitely feel that they didn't move the Odin stuff along far enough. Hopefully, next season, they'll get to that early, because if it continues to just sort of be a background thing for the team for much longer, it'll go kind of stale.

All that said, it was still a pretty stellar finale and I'm super excited for next season. I love the characters; they all have real depth and are very entertaining.
More+
Flag
About Odin, he didn't need to deal once Jangles crossed the border. But closing that story'd be too bad coz Charlie's entire confidence-shattering was partly based on I-thought-Paul-was-Odin & once she finds out it Was true... Well, you get the picture.

Also Jangles may be dead but the cartel isn't. Opens up a lotta possibilities that one.

And as for the ending, I think the pawn shop alone would've been subtle enough but I guess they just want us to think Paul's gonna tell Mike about the murder part of things. Coz you know, of all the Graceland-ites, he'z the only one who truly did "get" Paul Briggs.

My main complaint was that actually. the constant references to "getting in his head" and "finding him in [my head]". Heavyhanded much?

Flag
I'm just here for Mike's fresh new FBI haircut.......lookin good Mike.

Nah, it was a very entertaining finale.

What the hell was that at the end though? What did Briggs say to Mike? Come on season 2!

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny......love him to death but I just want to smack him sometimes ugh :D

More DJ next season, more DJ/Johnny scenes too please. Oh those two....

Oh and Jangles must have Superman hearing..... *eyeroll* Glad to see him go (thanks Mike :D )
Flag
Wouldn't blame you for Mike's haircut. He may have been the only reason I stayed with the show during this season's lull.
Flag
It was a good finale. I thought the writers was quite smart in helping Briggs get of it alive and well. Digging up the key & giving it to Jangles and framing the other guy as odin is all very smart.

I totally called it on the recorder too but I was thinking to myself it is a storyline for season 2. I did not expect it to come out so fast.

Mike would totally be back but I just wish Briggs would learn his lesson and stop being Odin after all the trouble he was in.
Flag
Randomly is Charlie's full name Katherine? Is that what she and Cortes was talking about? My full name is Kathryn and I hate it too but never realized Charlie was a nickname for it...makes me question using Katie as a cover name.
Flag
I would expect Charlie to be from Charlotte
Flag
Her proper name is apparently Catherine, yes. Ha ha, yeah Katie isn't that imaginative is it!
Flag
No its not and it is why I have tried to get people to stop calling me Katie (but I swear my brother and sister think it is my real name, she put it on her wedding program) since my first day of college, but all I could get people to was Kate.
Flag
Silver lining: it's better than "Kat"
Flag
I thought charlie was short for Charlotte?! :o
Flag
Usually or Charlene, which is why I thought it was odd that her name is Catherine.
Flag
Johnny's name is actually Joe!
Flag
Something I don't understand:
When Charlie walked in on the Briggs/Cortez fight, Briggs told Charlie he found out Cortez was Jangles because he planted a video camera in that one hotel room (where Charlie initially met Cortez). So, why didn't Charlie realize, right then and there, that Briggs is Odin? I mean, that's why she and Jangles were at the hotel in the first place: they were following a lead on Odin, because he had been connected to the room. Briggs knowing about the whole thing should have tipped Charlie off to the fact that Briggs is Odin... or at least that he knows a lot more about Odin than he's told her.

^That makes me ask: why was she so cool and trusting with him at the end of the finale? She didn't forgive him, did she? Isn't she still pissed about Whistler? Or has she just not realized the Briggs/Odin connection yet?

In other news:
-Mike is a great shot, from the hip no less...
-I can't help but wonder what Briggs confessed to Mike, at the end of the episode (I doubt it was about killing Juan or being Odin, but more likely something we don't know of yet that will draw Mike back to the house... maybe something to do with one of the housemates?)
More+
Flag
Perhaps he explained that he put the camera in there to "catch" Odin himself, he was the one that put the word out on the street that Odin was there so he could of told Charlie afterwards that he was following up the same leads as her, only his method was video surveillance not sneaking in with guns drawn. Now that the FBI have their Jangles and their "Odin" suspect Anthony Busco or whatever it all wrapped up nicely, although not sure if Mike lost his suspicions or just gave up on fighting a lost battle trying to pin anything on Briggs. I guess neither of them like hunting around pawn shops.
Flag
Nothing in this show was consistent because they should have known Briggs had something to do with Odin since the pics were the same place where DJ said he dropped him off at.
Flag
Yea. Wow. I completely forgot about that.

You know, for as awesome of an agent as Briggs is supposed to be... he kind of sucks at being a criminal. You'd think his law enforcement training and experience would help him be better at it.
Flag
U are right about the video camera, I think the writers who I thought was smart to get Briggs to frame the other guy as Odin might have missed that. I do hope they address it some point in season 2.

Even Homeland which had a good season 1 and 2 did not address the question of the mole who slip the key till now.
Flag
Well Jangles was his focus so they could say he was luring him by way of "the unknown" Odin.
Flag
They should've found out that Briggs is Odin!
That tape's going to come back and bite him in the ass though!
Flag
It was weird that Charlie was so trusting of the Jangles and was even falling for him a little bit. Up until this episode, she wasn't completely trusting in him. Aww love Johnny, it was cute that he wanted to be the one to bail Briggs out but a little ridiculous considering the situation. It was a nice wrap up for Briggs to get off free and blame everything on Jangles, which essentially it was his fault.
I think the last seconds where Briggs tells Mike what is going was meant to not be heard, keep it ambiguous so that the writers can make something up for the second season.
Flag
Definitely a strong end to a season I really enjoyed. I assumed Jangles would end up dead, but thought it would be Briggs, not Mike, to kill him. I'm sure that Odin was invented for the sole purpose of luring in Jangles, so my assumption is that, effectively, Odin is now dead too and Briggs can stop stealing heroine.
I would probably disagree that Paige is a particularly detailed character so far. Do we really know much about her at all?

It was a bit surprising that Charlie was actually so trusting of Cortes, I'd got the feeling from some of the looks she'd given him that she was suspicious of him.
I think that this is an excellent example of why short seasons work. I'm not sure they could have kept up the quality over 24 episodes.
Looking forward to season 2, although I hope that getting Mike back over won't be too contrived.
Flag
I too thought Odin was created more for revenge and no so much for earning $$ and it is time for Briggs to stop but we shall see more for season 2. He might have started out looking for revenge and now broken bad.
Flag
I think the best part of the finale was that yeah we have kind of came full circle but everyone is slightly more damaged. In a house where everyone's job is to lie and pretend to be someone else, the roommates (for the most part) believed in the infallibility of their family and that it was the one place they could be honest and themselves.

I hope for season 2 Graceland continue digs into the psychology of what in living in that house and the job has done to them. Not only in their relationships with each other but how it has changed and damaged them. Also Paige and DJ needs to be more fully fleshed characters. Graceland started to develop them both more in the last 3 episodes or so this season but they've got a ways to go to bring them up the level of Charlie or Johnny as we go forward.
Flag
In season two I hope Briggs gets some kind of punishment, not jail or death because he is a great character and those situations would take him out of the show, but something...
Flag
No
Flag
You don't want Briggs to get any punishment for being a drug dealer...
Flag
No He really shouldn't just because of the circumstances. I don't like how his character seems to be becoming tarnished when he's actually the good guy gone bad to be good (if that makes sense).
Flag
What I hope about Season 2 (and I think whatever case they were talking about in Mike's meeting likely will be his reason for being reassigned to Graceland) is that the show won't forget that both DJ and Mike know a lot of what Briggs actually did (at least Mike knows he snowballed the FBI and that he can't fully trust him) but DJ knows exactly what he did (and even probably noticed that Paul never answered him when he asked him if he was Odin too). I hope they remember that while Paige might be fine with how the investigation turned out, she knows in her gut that there was more to Mike's investigation. And I hope that Charlie realizes she was only misreading about the Federale, and that was more because she was kind of obsessed with Odin and likely thought Jangles was just an old wives tale but that SHE WAS RIGHT ABOUT ODIN!!
Flag
I really liked the season finale (and i'm so happy that it wasn't a series finale yay for season 2!) The only thing that I was unsatisfied with was the fact that Mike was the one to kill jangles. I felt that Briggs should have been the one to do it, since he was the reason why Briggs is the way he is today, and he should have gotten the opportunity and at the least the small gratification of being able to take Jangles out for good, i mean he's responsible for getting him addicted to heroin, making him tell him who the mole in the Kaza cartel was and ultimately killing Lisa and the other agent at The Estate.

It would have meant more coming from Briggs instead of a tearful Briggs asking Mike if he got em. I know that Briggs was a bad guy and he did some messed up things, but in the end, it all came back to this one guy destroying his life and he should have been the last face jangles got to see before getting shot. Other than that, I thought this was a great episode, I got what I wanted out it, some loose ends were tied up for me with hints on where they might take the show next season and yay for the Mike and Paige kiss! I can't wait to see what the writers come up with for next season, still a little worried about how they'll gonna top this crazy season but I have the utmost faith in them!
More+
Flag
I was really surprised by the Mike/Paige kiss! (In a good way.) I mean, I could tell they were going there eventually, but I did not expect it this season. Then again, I guess the writers didn't know if they were going to get another season, so I guess it makes sense.
Flag
Felt too soon & unnecessary. Altho the timing made me think they kinda wanted to draw parallels between Briggs & his DEA friend?
Flag
I was thinking that too. As soon as they mentioned that Lisa had been DEA, I was like, oh, I see what you're doing here, Graceland :D
Flag
Yup, it's like they decided to throw subtlety outta the window for the last couple of episodes. I'm starting to get annoyed with the two peas, same pod thing they're doing to Briggs & Mike.
Flag
I was happy that Mike killed Jangles, specifically because it meant that Briggs wouldn't get the satisfaction. Then, when Briggs was all smiles after finding out Mike took care of Jangles, Briggs' indifference really deflated me.

I don't like seeing terrible characters (I'm speaking in terms of Briggs' morality, not the quality of his character's writing) get what they want, and Briggs just wanted Jangles dead. It didn't matter to him who offed Jangles. So disappointing...
Flag
good show. Daniel Sunjata carries a lead role like a champ. always loved him on "Rescue Me". Aaron Tveit isn't too bad albeit a bit childish, but then again he's supposed to be the rookie in all of this so I guess that's appropriate casting. I hope season 2 shows how much he'd matured during the 1st season, both as Mike Warren the character and as Aaron the actor.
It would be interesting to see where his career goes from here (hope it won't be cliched with type casting him as the blond rich kid or something like that).
but I guess he has to go thru Graceland's run before he launches.
I hope this show goes for at least 4-5 seasons.

OH YEAH! and it was a good season finale! :)
Flag
Love this show, loved the season finale, HATE Briggs so, SO much. I get that he had a rough time as an agent, and that he lost his true love, etc., but to go virtually unpunished for murder, money laundering, and drug trafficking? The scene with him and Charlie in the car where Charlie was in tears killed me. She was so distraught over how she had (CORRECTLY) treated Briggs.....like, seriously?! GAH! Jangles might be dead, but there's still a cold-hearted villain stalking Graceland.

Also, did anyone else want to simultaneously hug Johnny and smack him upside the head? Was that just me?
Flag
I think everyone here wants to hug & smack Johnny at the same time :)
Flag
It's the grey area thing. I mean who can say if he's been punished enough?
If you look at it karmically (he's Buddhist), it's the intent that matters not the action. He didn't mean to kill Juan & the drugs were... yea I got nothin on that.
Flag
The only thing I still fault Briggs for is setting that other guy up as Odin. That guy was supposed to be his friend on at least some level. Killing the FBI agent was an accident, and in a lot of ways the agent's own fault for going under as Jangles. I guess we will see in season 2 whether Briggs plays more as a very gray character/bad guy, or someone who was just mostly a victim of very bad circumstances and trying to survive.
Flag
You mean the dirtbag who tried to rape & beat up "Katie"?

Not a chance they were "friends" on any level. He was a bad guy they were using to bring down bigger bad guys. He was an old associate remember, they've probably used him for more than the cartel & Odin.

Also, Juan's mistake wasn't going under as Jangles, it was that he was obsessed enough to do it without backup or clearance.
Flag
I felt the same way with Johnny. The scene where he was talking to Jakes, who was telling him to grow up? On the one hand, I just wanted to smack Jakes and be like, hey, leave my Johnny boy alone! He's like a puppy; it sucks to see him so down. On the other hand, Jakes kind of had a point. Johnny has this blind faith in everyone, and he could stand to open his eyes a little.
Flag
The really liked that scene were they are all talking to the FBI and their different reactions. So funny.
Flag
Twas a decent finale :) The occasional pessimist in me wonders how they can keep the plot going in the long run, so I'll have to trust the writers. Thought the music choice when Jangles is about to kill Briggs and Charlie was superb. Almost Tarrantino-esque :)
Flag
BRING ON SEASON 2!

Also, I thought Mike face when Briggs was getting cleared was disbelief. To me it looks like he's thinking "Briggs is five steps ahead again and he's still dirty" but at the end of the ep, they're bests of buds again. Did I just misread the expression?

Love Johnny. "Wait, why is Briggs on a boat?"
Flag
I think Mike knows Biggs did all those things, and Briggs knows he does. But because MIke has no proof there is not much he can do. I wouldn't say they are best of friends though. Mike didn't really look happy in the scene on the beach.
Flag
The smile that didn't quite reach his eyes? Yea, I'd have thought it was sadness at leaving if he hadn't Just been shaking his head at how neatly everything got tied up.
Flag
Couple thoughts:
1) Mike really needs a quieter car
2) If a man has a hole the size of a grapefruit in his chest, I think he is dead
3) I get why briggs did the things he did, and why they are not putting him in jail but I kind of wish something had happened to him. He is after all bad. Between the killing and the drugs. Maybe next season we will get some of that, what with the kids finding the recoding... but who knows....
4) Did everyone's end before Briggs could tell Mike the important thing
Flag
Yea that was our cliffhanger for the season. But the taperecorder bits of that scene tells us it's probably gonna be about Juan. Or Odin.

But my money's on Juan coz that's the only thing with evidence out there and Mike already suspects him anyway. Also, Mike's the only one who'll understand the situation. He knows Juan's a stranger to Briggs but also what Jangles means to him.
Flag
I really hope Briggs gets his comeuppance. There's a lot of things he's done that have bothered me.

I can forgive Briggs for:
-killing Juan, because Juan was crazy and came at him with a gun.

What I CANNOT forgive is:
-Briggs becoming Odin, because there's NO WAY that some of his drugs didn't eventually end up in the hands of kids (Plus, I was always under the impression that he assumed the role of Odin as a way to draw out Jangles and get his revenge, which doesn't excuse him becoming a drug supplier, but makes a bit more sense... so if he resumes the Odin persona, having resolved the Jangles situation, he will have, in my eyes, gone full villain)
-Briggs manipulating his housemates into incriminating positions (e.g. Charlie and Johnny)
-putting Mike in danger, by helping his cover get blown to Bello
Flag
Local drug distributers aren't responsible for drugs ending up in kids hands. They are cogs. Blame the supplier. Blame the dealer. The guys between them are just a distribution chain. If an undercover cop isn't distributing drugs, the distribution pipeline WILL be filled by market demand. Odin's existence or non-existence has zero impact on whether or not kids who want drugs get drugs. That's like blaming a long-haul truck driver who has a contract with Walmart for guns getting in kids hands because they eventually do.
Flag
Um, Odin Is the supplier.
Remember, he's trying to cut out the cartel & so became a drug supplier himself.
Flag
It was implied that Odin was created for the sole purpose of drawing out Jangles. You know, when he basically just handed over All the drugs to Bello. Like as if he wouldn't need them for anything else.
Flag
I had to chuckle at Jangles hearing Mike's squeaky brakes from a good distance away over his blaring stereo right in the room with him.
Flag
I replayed it several times and I couldn't make sense of it. The look on Mike's face wasn't a happy one though. I'm dying to know what he sad. Maybe someone can clarify.
Flag
It's a cliffhanger but the reason he stopped smiling was Briggs' tone when Mike asked "you serious?".
Flag
Generally i don't like villains giving speeches and i understand that jangles is a total psychopath. but i would have liked him to at least explain his motives.
Flag
I agree... why did he keep going after Briggs?
Flag
He kept after Odin coz.. they explained it with a wierd metaphor. And in any case, most psychopaths tend to be obsessive about the victims they've "let live". Wouldn't be surprised if he'd expected it to be Briggs seeing how quickly he recognized him.
Flag
he went after briggs because briggs is odin rossi, i want to know why jangles (who is actually a federali,) decided to work for the casa
Flag
I didn't know he was "actually" federali. I thought he was posing as one of their actual agents.
Flag
They did imply that most federali are corrupt. But also, we don't know which way it was. Whether the federali worked for the casa or the casa provided their butcher with a cover.
Flag
Well done Graceland and Jeff Eastin. Loved everything I saw in this season finale and am excited to see how next season turns up.
Flag
Was a little confused at the end...Mike seemed over the fact that he knows that Paul totally snowballed the FBI and how seriously bad I felt for Charlie. You didn't see the federale but you were right about Odin! And I hope DJ recognizes that Paul never answered the question. And somehow poor Johnny he is back to hero worship. And is Paul somehow a relative of Nate Ford. ..Leverage I miss you.
Flag
Amen
Flag
Follow this Show
Members