A Graceland Community
USA (ended 2015)

Graceland S02E05: "H-A-Double-P-Y"

Well, wasn't that just the sort of pick-me-up Graceland so terribly needed? I'll take "Emotional Whiplash" for $1,000, Alex. I'm gonna go ahead and blame Mike's FBI girlfriend too, just because, well, she's kind of awful—and now that Paige is trapped in a human trafficking ring due to her massive guilt and questionable decision-making skills, I predict that FBI Jessica will be on the way out soon enough, as Mike realizes he'd rather woo Paige full-time. 

Graceland—both the show and the house—is such an amazing hot mess right now. After puttering along for the beginning of its sophomore season with the occasional throwback to the Badillo Incident and inching the story forward one painfully revealed plot point at a time, "H-A-Double-P-Y" opted to blow the whole thing up in the most literal sense of the phrase and completely alter what the point of this season initially appeared to be. It was a game-changing episode, for sure. It was also batshit crazy in the most bizarre ways: So Jakes' traumatized 10-year-old decided to track down the dude he saw get arrested in his driveway like a week ago and hung out with him and his new hooker BFF? Paige decided to turn herself into a drug mule when the bust of Carlito's operation started falling apart (as these things tend to do on this show) and speaking of Carlito—I can't tell if the Evil Closeted Gay storyline is merely WTF crazypants or just wildly offensive. I will say that Charlie pointing out that female agents trade affection for intel all the time was pretty spot-on, though. 

SO. FBI Girlfriend Jessica surprised Mike with a visit and looked so fed-like with that suit and that frown in the middle of their sunny undercover Animal House that it's a wonder she didn't blow their collective cover just by ringing the doorbell. The obvious Mike/Paige endgame became all the more apparent thanks to FBI Jessica's Claire Underwood routine and Mike's own admittance that, yeah, their great romance is more like an awkward business arrangement, even with the obligatory steamy sexytime shots later on. 

FBI Jessica's arrival signified a loss of control for Mike, who may not have been the friendliest boss to work for, but who at least tended to listen to his people's input and seemed to have the best intentions for everybody at heart. FBI Jessica is clearly in it for the career advancement, showing literally zero remorse for her decision to prioritize a drug bust over rescuing the poor Tinker Bells. 

She also creates an interesting dynamic in the house, and serves to further propagate the idea that, yes, the concept of an operation like Graceland is wonky and crazy and weird—and yes, the agents currently occupying the beach house are hilariously dysfunctional and barely resemble anything that could be called professional—but Graceland's greatest successes have often come from within the house, and without the meddling of outside figures. In that light, the "no one allowed upstairs" rule goes from being an obvious attempt to protect the covers of Graceland's occupants to something a little more sacred. 

Now that Paige is undercover without a single soul in Graceland knowing where she went (good job, Jakes), Season 2's focus has shifted from the standard "bust the bad guys" mission to a rescue mission with something very personal at stake. Graceland has started to excel at expanding the limelight to include characters who weren't always at the center of the action in Season 1, truly embracing the ensemble concept and allowing the complex relationships between its characters to shine through. I don't know about you, but as unintentionally hilarious-in-a-bad-way as this episode was, I'm excited about where it leaves us. 

NOTES

– I like Jakes' hooker-friend. 

– Thoughts on the Carlito/Johnny angle? 

– Thoughts on this season as a whole? Not gonna lie, Graceland is kind of on the bubble right now when it comes to demanding weekly coverage. What say you?

– I was so perversely delighted when the evidence blew up, not so much because it ruined Mike's day, but because it ruined FBI Jessica's. 

What did you think of "H-A-Double-P-Y"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/17/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

26 Comments
Comments (26)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
what happened to being able to watch this show online on the isa network and several other sites!! i don't want a written overview i want to watch it! please help!!
Flag
That the Feds can even consider choosing going after drug smuggling instead of slave trade shows some really fucked up priorities.

Jakes' hooker-friend is the nicest person we've seen on the show so far.

Johnny is going to get raped by a brother-sister team.

The season has been limping along so far, but this episode pulled out all the stops.

Karma for going after career advancement instead of rescuing innocent young girls.
Flag
Oh, and please keep reviewing.
This is one of the few shows on at the moment that's worth talking about.
Flag
As if jakes couldn't just tell the cops that he's in the middle on an operation and they can wait with him for a minute.
Flag
THANK you! This has been baffling me the whole time! None of this stuff with paige would have happened if the writers didn't just gloss over that one! UGH! And it's never mentioned again? Like later in the car he can't tell them? THis is lazy writing.
Flag
Paige is a moron.
Flag
can we all just agree that FBI lady friend is totally the leak?
Flag
I am loving Johnny's arc right now. I really liked Charlie's comment on how female agents deal with this kind of thing all the time. Cool to see a guy going through something like that. I didn't really care for the whole Carlito thing at first, but now I do. Conflicted bad guys with feelings for the win.

Also, Graceland (the house) is such a mess right now. Jakes with his hooker friend (yeah, she's cool) and his son, Briggs and Charlie with their Bonnie and Clyde stuff, Paige as a drug mule, Mike and zzzzzz oh sorry fell asleep right there. I liked Mike last season, but I can't seem to care for him now, with his boring FBI girlfriend and his douchy behavior.

MaryAnn, I hope you keep reviewing this show, it's one of the few summer shows I watch and I always look forward to reading your thoughts on it!
Flag
Ok wow!!! Best episode ever, Johnny is the coolest guy on tv right now. I exaggerate but wow that was fun. I'm going to ignore stupid mike and dumb Paige and stereotypical DJ and say I loved this episode. #morejohnny
Flag
This episode was really good and weird at the same time
WTF Paige is now undercover as a drug mule ?
WTF Johnny is now in a weird love triangle with a two siblings ?
WTF Jake spends his day with a Hooker ?
at the same time i'm really enjoying this season.
Flag
I just loved this episode. At first, I couldn't believe that Paige asked Mike to sleep with the boss to get the what she wanted. Sure, human traffic is a big deal, but enough to wore your boyfriend? They should explain why this is so important to Paige. However, when they were talking about what is expect from the female FBI agents, I got the feeling that MIke understood what Paige was talking about, and so did I. Jessica is the worst. I mean, she could call someone and get more people, but she won't. Why???
And Jake... Nice move! Hang out for the first time with your son and invite a hooker to be with you. And then get arrested when Paige was in trouble. Of course that Paige's plan (parcially just to get back at Mike) it was horrible, but...
Flag
"Sure, human traffic is a big deal"
Are you kidding? Slave trade is the biggest deal, everything else they are dealing with pales in comparison. That they, the Feds, don't immediately give that their full attention shows some really fucked up priorities.
Flag
Is it just me, or has the house been a total disaster this season? What I enjoyed about the first season was the team professionalism, competence, strong sense of "family", and camaraderie. This season they all seem to be behaving like a bunch of round pegs trying to fit in square holes. No one seems to have much feeling for anyone other than the person they're sleeping with, and Mike as team leader has been one keystone cop moment followed by another!

Supposedly, this was a case that was initiated by a contract on Mike's life, and one that could make or break his career. With that in mind, his first decision as leader is to get rid of a guy with no apparent issues, and keep the falling down drunk, who, lately, hasn't found a bottle of booze that he couldn't avoid cuddling up with, or a team member that he didn't want to fight.

But, I'm Mike the Team Leader, and I'm going to get rid of the sober guy who has no problems other than to be lusting after Paige! To hell with how it might affect this big mission!

Mike acts more on emotion than common sense, which is why Zelanski was kicked out of the house and DJ was allowed back in. Not to mention, he seems to have no command and control over the team, other than to be frustrated when Plan A fails. He seems to have no concept of a Plan B. And, the idea that he would agree to sleep with his boss (at Paige's suggestion), to get Paige what she wants, speaks volumes about his qualifications as an effective team leader. He just seems like a guy who's in waaaaaaay over his head!

Paul should be running this OP, but he's too busy pacifying Charlie, who happens to be riding the " me so guilty" train right off the rails. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, when she discovers her suspicions about Paul were right, and she spends next season hating him as much as she "loves" him this season.

I have no clue what Paige is doing this season. It's almost like the writers said we need to find something to justify Paige's existence, so let's have her make a bunch of rash, ill-advised decisions and get captured by the slave traders!

Johnny is the only team member, in my opinion, who seems to still have his eye on the ball and is handling his business!

But, these are just my perspectives....

More+
Flag
I like the show. It's not great and I couldn't give a rat's patoot about Dale until this episode (being angry for a season and a half doesn't make you interesting, it makes you a jerk). I keep watching because of Briggs and Chuck.
Flag
Ok someone gif Paige in the beginning of the episode because that was adorable.

This was probably the strongest episode of the season thus far. They are telegraphing the who the leak is. But that is all right. Paige has lost her mind and Jakes family drama blew up in his face and is likely to get Paige hurt. But this season just isn't that fun.
Flag
So Dale just gone kiss a hooker off the street
Flag
She is a tv hooker, meaning she has all of her teeth and is relatively clean.
Flag
I like this show but the do some dumb things. The unexplained love triangle trope, mike just being a horrible character, and USA gay uncomfortable problem. Plus Charlie just walks away even though she should have been fired.
Flag
Yeah, I actually said she looks nothing like a prostitute while watching this. She looks nothing like Wendy from Breaking Bad; THAT woman looks like she might have made some bad decisions in real life.
Flag
I loved how Mike is all, "The leak is internal!" And he's saying it right to the face of the person it most likely is: Mara... er, I mean Jessica (sorry, Haven joke). I mean, if anyone is a mole it has to be her. Right? She's been pretty forward with her desire to be involved in the case, and it could definitely be for nefarious purposes rather than a desire to advance her career or be around Mike.

Also, I thought it was a bit ridiculous that DJ got surly with the police when he should have been informing them that they were, in that very moment, interrupting an undercover operation (though, it seemed a bit "off-book" since they didn't have any backup, but still...) I just chalk that up to Jakes being Jakes. It's just annoying that they'd get the detail about the officers asking him about his weapon right only to have Jakes never inform them of what he was doing at any point during his arrest.
Flag
Yea they kind of telegraphed Jessica being the leak. She comes right before the big operation, she knows about Paige etc.
Flag
Well give the WTF nature of this episode and it's ending I'd say Mike may have to become the new Paul Briggs to get Paige back. Well he's got the right kind of off the books team to do it with, I think everyone in the house would risk their careers for Paige, maybe not Zelansky but he's not a problem anymore.
Flag
Haha, this show!

Carlito's sister tells Johnny that everyone knows Carlito is gay... yet none of the agents in the house knew about his sexuality until his late-night meeting with Johnny? I mean, Mike was sending in Charlie as a honeypot, before she blew the assignment off, as their first approach on this guy. In retrospect, while it might have been fun(ny) to watch, it probably wouldn't have boded well for their investigation.

I just don't understand how these guys know the tiniest of details about the lowest level street-dealers, but they don't know something that everyone else knows about the son of an infamous cartel boss?
Flag
Mike sent Charlie in initially to cozy up to Carlito's lieutenant, then when she blew that, Johnny was forced to come up with another in with him (the Mexican pistols that were really French lol).
Flag
So my growing dread reaction was damnit Paige you were the normal well adjusted.. crap you and Mike really are perfect for each other. As much as Paul bugs me and every interaction with Charlie he really needs to be in charge. Johnny. ..gosh but I agree with Charlie on that one. Dale well sigh I know someone going through that right now and its annoying.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members