Gravity Falls

Boyz Crazy

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Apr 19, 2013 on Disney XD

7.7
  • New Kids on the Block

This is a good episode if not a hard hitter. I really like how the episode parodied and satired on the boy band hype. Yeah we've all heard and had our share thoughout the generations, "New Kids on the Block", "NSync", "Jonas Brothers", "One Direction", you name it, but despite all the hype they get the funny thing is as time goes one they litterally become forgotten; I'm sure there are plenty more I might have heard but are out of memory. For the record I'm no fan of boy bands (one of the reasons is probably because I'm a guy) but the hype I find annoying and their music comes off as either decent or passable (in my book anyway) which make me wonder what the big deal is. But also most boy bands also sound and almost look the same which is kinda creepy when you think about it.

This episode shows how empty hype by it's nature truely is and also how it sometimes gives false pretenses on what guys should be for girls. I liked moments when Mabel, Grenda, and Candy at points acted all crazy for the boy band which is funny because it's true. But I also like the moments mainly with Grenda and Candy as both were getting a little disalusioned with the band as they see what they really are. I just thought that was a good human moment for them both, reality indeed can be a different story and not always a good one.

However the one plot I really liked was the subplot with Dipper which I felt was the big one. I've always known Robbie was scum and this scam he pulls with Wendy justifies why. We see the reason why Wendy still goes out with him is because he been mind controling her with his lousy songs (yeah he no Rob Zombie) which contain subbuluminal messages. It really also makes me wonder about Robbie, this sceme is rather sofisticated even for him. I doubt he's smart enough to really construct it himself but I feel he had to have heavy connections to make it happen. What if Robbie is like the son of a really bad head honcho kinda like Harry Osborn was the son of Norman Osborn in "Spider Man". Or somehow affiliated with some secret society that moved into Gravity Falls under are noses, after all that CD case was no ordinary CD case (also another "Evil Dead" homage since it looks like the Necronoican). Whatever the case it's clear Robbie can't be trusted, who knows what else he's gotten away with and he could be just the tip of the iceburg.

One of the things that was great about the subplot was the fact that Stan was backing Dipper up. I really like that he shows understanding for Dipper's dillema let alone hates Robbie's guts as well. It almost felt like a father son like bond between them, I'm hopping both Dipper and Stan will bond often I'd like to see both grow closer and do more.

I really loved the moment just when Robbie was about to play another CD of his to further his sceme to take advantage of Wendy; Dipper comes in time to expose Robbie's scam, at that moment Wendy breaks up with Robbie. Got a couple words for that YES and ALLELULA, I've been waiting for that to happen the day I seen Robbie. But unfortunately it ends a bit sadly as Wendy is upset at Dipper for exposing the truth and runs away.

I really felt sad for Dipper as he and Gruncle Stan were drinking lots of cans of juice afterward and trying to figure out what they did wrong. I agree with Stan about the matter, it makes no damn sense whenever you do the right thing your the bad guy, that's like blaming someone for saving the president's life. But Stan is right on another count, Wendy will bounce back and forgive Dipper, even though there really is nothing to forgive; Dipper did the right thing, he was abiding by the Green Beret code "You watch my back and I'll watch He was saving Wendy from the harm Robbie was doing to her. Let alone Robbie treats her like furnature while Dipper treats her like a person. Yeah, Wendy I know the truth hurts but lies hurt even more I know what I'm talking about.

I'm just hoping afterward Wendy won't do something stupid like go out with some rebound no name guy, or even give Robbie another chance I honestly don't see why. I don't want the show to pull off another "Smallville" (which is a show I don't like, though use to) where we had to wait so many seasons till Clark and Lois got together, man that was dreadful.

But as I said this episode isn't a heavy hitter, it misses the swing at a few points. The band Sev'ral Timez I didn't find funny enough, these guys at times kinda got on my nerves at some points I wanted to yell at them to shut up. But mainly I just didn't care about them. And another which is a minor one was a moment when Dipper asked Wendy to go bowling at an inconvenent time that was out of character and bad writing, it really should of been Dipper asking if Wendy was alright. I also thought Mabel by part of the third half was really out of character when she acted like a jerk toward Candy and Grenda.

Overall, soild if not hard hitting episode, hopefully the final episodes of the season will be even better.
DISNEY