Greatest American Dog

The Greatest American Dog

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 10, 2008 on CBS

• And the winner is...

Not any audience member, dog owner, dog trainer, or, really, CBS.

This episode showed the blatant editing that someone highly-placed allowed to happen, as well as the inane bias against J.D. simply for being successful with Galaxy while not using Ms. Stilwell's method of training. It was the third or fourth such episode of Stilwell's antagonism toward J. D., and I'm no big fan of J.D. That we were not shown ANY consistent questioning or interaction with the dogs- same questions/actions from the same judge- I truly wonder how off-the rails/rigged/whatever this show was by this episode.

This show has the potential to be an interesting, not-messed-with show. The judges need to not be plugging anything, just actual experts in breeds or training. (I believe that breed traits were overlooked, as the much decried "separation anxiety" of Andrew, the Maltese. Also, Leroy's barking, a trait of Border Collies.)

Also, Travis and Presley, while fine ambassadors of American dog/owner, are showing WHAT, exactly? Presley has potential to do anything, but if Travis doesn't help that potential along, then what? What the GAD is to represent was never explained, so what are folks supposed to aspire to besides 'let ME get a dog and work for a quarter mil?"

I think the playing field needs to be a bit more even in (hopefully) future seasons, but the enjoyment of the dogs and some owners was lessened as the inane challenges and judging continued.

Some good lessons can be gleaned, but mostly if the family is gathered to balance out the silliness inherent in the game show format.
  • good episode...

Well, this was the finale for this season and it seemed anti-climactic. This episode was rushed. They brought in the entire cast, which I thought was a great idea, but then they didn't do anything with the cast. They just sat there with their dogs...pointless. Anyways, the last challenge was good because it had several different disciplines in them. I thought it was pointless to get rid of JD in the middle of the episode. Of the three, he was the best trainer, though arrogant. Of the last two, Travis deserved the win. I still think Bill and Star were the best...they deserved the win. Overall, good episode with a lot of potential, but was rushed.