Green Lantern: The Animated Series Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Homecoming (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 24, 2012
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/26/12 episode "Homecoming" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

antilifecu

[2]May 26, 2012
    • level: 6
    I knew this episode was going to be epic.

RaizenYusuke

[3]May 26, 2012
    • level: 28

I expected more than Mogo and Saint Walker to show up, but still great no less. Kilwog was badass taking the entire armada alone to buy Hal time, only for Mogo ad Walker to come to the rescue. I knew Mogo was going to show up and save the day. I have always thought it was Mogo who was the most powerful GL, even after Sodam Yat showed up with his Superman like powers. The episode confused me when Hal was on Earth with Carol right after the last scene with Hal was him and Razor leaving. I thought I missed an entire scene or two somehow. But then Carol found his battery and Hal recharged to remember what happened as well as giving us a play by play on what happened.

Smart and reckless plan on Jordan's part and just so him in both comics and this incarnation (which I find is pretty accurate). Who didn't see Razor being taken to Aya using the power of love? I will admit I am wondering if they can actually do the life form and robot romance and not come under fire from concerned parents. The fight between Hal and Atroistus was not as big as I was expecting it, but perhaps that was for the best. The Guardian acknowledging their mistake and taking actions to rectify it was refreshing. I wish their comic counterparts would do this more. Ever since Rebirth they seem to brush aside any of their past mistakes as nothing and learn nothing. I was very disappointed after Blackest Night when the GLC themselves told the Guardian that they would have to earn the Corps respect and trust again after their secrecy and unwillingness to trust the Corps lead to Blackest Night happening. The ending with Hal flying home saying he had desert after the Guardian actually aplogized to him was so Hal.

That was a great first season. I can't wait to see the second season. I hope they introduce more of the GL mythos, like the Manhunters or Sinestro or even John Stewart or Guy Gardner.

yesile

[4]May 28, 2012
    • level: 4

It was a good season finale. Very good, in fact. Perhaps even great. But not AWESOME. Then again, my opinion is probably lower than I thought it would be due being over-hyped (I read a bunch of other peoples' comments (with minimal spoilers) before watching it for myself).

Seeing Aya shed a tear was an interesting occurrence. If there was any doubt, now we know for a fact that there's something more to her — I just hope they have a good explainable reason for it that they'll cover as the series progresses. The battle against the Red Lantern fleet was quite epic. Must I say more? Appa repenting was also quite wonderful. Hurray for some character development from him! And then, of course, there was that little Razer/Aya scene that nearly everyone (including me) loved. Even if I find the whole "teleporting due to the power of love" thing a LITTLE cheesy, it's understandable (ESPECIALLY for a kids show) and I find no fault with it.

What I did find fault with was Hal "losing his memory." Yes, the Star Sapphires later explain it by saying they never transported someone that far before and that he may become unstable (or something like that), but it seemed like the only purpose of that actually happening was to give Carol a bigger role in the finale. Perhaps I missed something, but I thought it was a little cheap and unnecessary.

The only other element I found could have been better was how Atrocitus was defeated. I was hoping for something more . . . interesting to happen rather than just a simple one-on-one fight against Hal. I guess I was hoping that Razer would have played a role in his demise (well, capture) seeing as how he has a bigger CONNECTION with Atrocitus in the first place. I don't care if he helped Hal fight him or not; I just wish he did SOMETHING, even if it was just telling Atrocitus that he was wrong to pursue vengeance and that Hal and friends helped prove that to him or something like that. Yes, I know they talked a bit about that back in episode seven — but that was episode seven. Although he has plenty of character development as it is, I thought it would have been nice way to wrap things up. Oh well. It's not a BIG complaint, just a minor one. And perhaps they'll be able to have an even better scene in season two instead, with Atrocitus behind bars and all.

The whole "he has the will" thing, like the "power of love" earlier was a bit cheesy, but for a season finale, I can accept that. In a way, it wraps things up quite nicely. So no complaint there as long as they don't do it again (winning like that should be a one-time thing. After that, it gets old).

So far, I'm quite pleased with the series as a whole (just wrote a review on it — only the second person to do so, sadly. I hope more reviews come in eventually); I'm looking forward to Season two. No word on the date for it yet, right? Just sometime after summer? Perhaps after they rerun the series once? Well, either way, I can't wait! I love this series!

Edited on 05/29/2012 11:09am

awaqeded

[5]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 2

Wow, all I can say is WOW! Great season finale topping off a great season. This is by far the best currently active superhero animation on TV and easily the top 5 of my favorite all time animation. The writing is what gets me on this series, you really care for the characters - I got misty eyed when Mogo and the blue lantern showed up to save Kilowog! A cartoon made me emotional! The setup for this series is how they did it, instead of an entire Lantern corp to deal with, they sent Jordan and Kilowag to another galaxy where you could really get attached to the characters. Well done.

I highly anticipated the start of the Ultimate Spider-Man. Spider-Man has always been my favorite character and I had liked every animation version to date - but it turned out to be completely unwatchable It is all played for jokes, the story if there is one on USM is completely obliterated by over the top supposed comedy and video game rhetoric. Ultimate Spider-Man is for zero attention span video game kiddies. Green Lantern TAS is the exact opposite, every episode seems to build the story and the series plays out like an epic movie.there is drama as well as some great comedic lines but as an adult you never feel like you should be embarrassed for watching it. The animation is great too, the greens overwhelm the screen, the neon green is a feast for the eyes.

The Green Lantern TAS came out of nowhere for me and filled the void that Spider-Man left. Bruce Timm is a GOD! I wish he would run every superhero animation series! Dini and Bendis should be immediately replaced on USM by Timm to salvage it

Edited on 06/02/2012 8:42am

Geodude

[6]Jun 5, 2012
    • level: 2
    yesile wrote:

What I did find fault with was Hal "losing his memory." Yes, the Star Sapphires later explain it by saying they never transported someone that far before and that he may become unstable (or something like that), but it seemed like the only purpose of that actually happening was to give Carol a bigger role in the finale. Perhaps I missed something, but I thought it was a little cheap and unnecessary.

Remember, when Carol was teleported to Hal, she went crazy with jealousy. So it didn't just happen that one time. That's kinda how they knew to tell him that.